Do You Think Wvu Even Takes Their Own Lawsuit Seriously? | The Boneyard

Do You Think Wvu Even Takes Their Own Lawsuit Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
WVU is being absolutely ridiculous, and everyone knows they have no chance. I guess they were hoping to get the case heard in WV where they could try the case in front of some WVU booster who is also a state judge and try it in front of a jury of WVU season ticket holders. That is the only way they would have a chance in this case.

This is like some 45 year old father/husband filing for divorce from his wife and trying to get out of paying alimoney and child support for their 3 kids. The husband saying "but look at my wife...she is fat! She has gained 100 lbs since we got married 20 years ago!" I am sure it seems like a perfectly good excuse in their own head and when they explain it to their drunk buddies at the bar (the Big 12), but everyone else just rolls their eyes and laughs at the ridiculousness of it all. You want to divorce your fat wife because she isn't sexy any more and you want to bang the new 27 year old receptionist?! Fine...that is your perogative and most can probably at least see your point of view. But do it the right way and honor your responsibilities. Don't just don't skip out on the kids on the way out the door and refuse to pay child support! Be a real man and do whats right!​

Reaction Score
The suit was filed to save the job of the WVU President. He couldn't turn down the Big XII's "now or never" invitation without being hung in effigy. By accepting, and letting the courts tell him "no way jose," he can say it's not his fault.

That is no more than a WAG, but a lot of law suits get filed by organizations for similar reasons.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If you look at the WV board, you'll see the fans think its open and shut in their favor. It's both amusing and frustrating at the same time.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
WV has to do what it feels is in the best interest of its university which in this instance meant it had to legally try to break a contract. This action taken by WV happens to be not in the best interest for UConn.

I'm not taking it personally. Hopefully the courts will rule against WV and favor the BE, or even better, the B12, recognizing the case might be difficult for WV to win, and running out of time for getting a 10th member, will withdraw the offer and WV drops its suit.

Unfortunately, anger and bitterness drive most of us far more than cooperation and forgiveness. Many of us take things personally and stay in a place of resentment. So WV and many of its supporters will always resent the rest of the BE no matter what happens to the B12 or how successful the NBE can turn out. If UConn was in WV's place we might have attempted something similar and facing the same outcome have increased our resentment with the remaining BE members.

I would argue that if people pop out of their investment in this realignment process and read this forum, and the actions taken by the universities, they will observe that emotions are the driving force in this whole process. Perceived slights, jealousies, envies, anger, resentment of constraints, sexiness in something new, greed, insults, failure to honor commitment, fear, and all the other weakness in human behavior are the engine driving these matters. We just rationalize things as security, logical business sense, incompetence and so forth because none of us want to believe we have dark sides controlling our actions.

Reaction Score
WVU has no intentions of trying to "win" this lawsuit. We are just trying to scare the BE into settling before everyone's dirty laundry gets aired in the discovery phase. WVU will be happy to pay 25 million as long as we get out for 2012

Reaction Score
WVU has no intentions of trying to "win" this lawsuit. We are just trying to scare the BE into settling before everyone's dirty laundry gets aired in the discovery phase. WVU will be happy to pay 25 million as long as we get out for 2012

That's exactly what WVU is trying to do.

I think all BE FB fans get WVU's desire to get out of this league, we all want out. What most/all don't get is how WVU is working to F' over the remaining FB schools in the process. At least SyraPitt had the common f'ng courtesy to live by the contract they signed, so as not to completely obliterate the remaining teams in the league. What's laughable is had SyraPitt pulled this same act while WVU was in the league, the 'Eers administration and fans would be going ape over it. Now that it's WVU going this route, your gruop is celebrating it. You stay classy WVU.

Will be interesting in 6 years time, when the B12 falls apart after Texas goes Indie, and schools start leaving for the P12/16, SEC, and B1G where WVU lands.

Reaction Score

I think all BE FB fans get WVU's desire to get out of this league, we all want out. What most/all don't get is how WVU is working to F' over the remaining FB schools in the process. At least SyraPitt had the common f'ng courtesy to live by the contract they signed, so as not to completely obliterate the remaining teams in the league. What's laughable is had SyraPitt pulled this same act while WVU was in the league, the 'Eers administration and fans would be going ape over it. Now that it's WVU going this route, your gruop is celebrating it. You stay classy WVU.

Will be interesting in 6 years time, when the B12 falls apart after Texas goes Indie, and schools start leaving for the P12/16, SEC, and B1G where WVU lands.

You guys would be doing the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

100% disagree. We would be doing what SyraPitt is doing. There is absolutely no doubt about it. UConn/Herbst has been very straight forward and honest about this whole situation. If we had the opportunity to leave for another BCS conference we absolutely would. However, we would do so by honoring our commitment to the Big East of $5MM/27 mo.

You WVU cannot seem to seperate the two in your minds. No one is blaming you for leaving the conference for the B12. I have not seen one single person criticize you for that. But the lawsuit to try to get out of your commitment is laughable....and it is even more ridiculous that you cannot see why. Deciding to leave the conference is completely fine and is 100% your decision. But just abide by the rules of doing so that you have agreed to. It really is simple!

Reaction Score

I disagree as well. UConn would be committed to honoring its obligations. We would give notice of leaving in a heartbeat if we had the opportunity, and no one here is criticizing WVU for doing the same. But we would honor the 27 month commitment, as Syracuse and Pitt were doing. If the Scumineers won't do so, then it reflects terribly on WVU and the State of West Virginia.

By the way -- it does not reflect horribly on the fans. I know a number of WVU fans who are horrified by the lawsuit, and I've seen posters on Scumineer boards express the same.

Reaction Score
100% disagree. We would be doing what SyraPitt is doing. There is absolutely no doubt about it. UConn/Herbst has been very straight forward and honest about this whole situation. If we had the opportunity to leave for another BCS conference we absolutely would. However, we would do so by honoring our commitment to the Big East of $5MM/27 mo.

You WVU cannot seem to seperate the two in your minds. No one is blaming you for leaving the conference for the B12. I have not seen one single person criticize you for that. But the lawsuit to try to get out of your commitment is laughable....and it is even more ridiculous that you cannot see why. Deciding to leave the conference is completely fine and is 100% your decision. But just abide by the rules of doing so that you have agreed to. It really is simple!

So you're saying that if the ACC offered you guys tomorrow and said they needed you to do everything you could to join by 2012 you would turn the offer down? If it was your only chance to get off of this sinking ship you would fight tooth and nail for that invite. Get off your high horses. It's not ideal but the BE has looked down on and screwed WVU since the day we joined, excuse me if I don't shed a tear for them.

Reaction Score
Mo
I disagree as well. UConn would honor its commitment of 27 months and UConn's president has not been two faced about anything.

Check some of the earlier threads in this forum with regards to how most of the UConn fans felt about WV. We had nothing but praise for the university and its fans. We argued that your school deserved better treatment than it was getting from all of this realignment process. Every UConn fan supported WV's potential move to the SEC when it was rumored that the SEC might take WV to match A&M. And every fan supported the move to the B12 when that rumor started.

People here are not upset with WV's desire to go to a different conference to improve their circumstances. People are upset they are pushing to get out of the 27 month requirement.

It stinks that the rest of you guys have to be collateral damage in all this but we have to get off the sinking ship while we can.

The ACC doesn't need Pitt and 'Cuse for '12 like the Big 12 needs us or they would be doing the same damn thing.

Reaction Score
So you're saying that if the ACC offered you guys tomorrow and said they needed you to do everything you could to join by 2012 you would turn the offer down? If it was your only chance to get off of this sinking ship you would fight tooth and nail for that invite. Get off your high horses. It's not ideal but the BE has looked down on and screwed WVU since the day we joined, excuse me if I don't shed a tear for them.

Good people refrain from doing things that they'd prefer to do on a daily basis because it's not the right thing to do or because they've committed otherwise. That is what makes someone a good person. But please don't justify acting immorally by saying others would do it too, because (i) you don't know that and (ii) it doesn't change anything. Is cheating on your wife o.k. because you can argue if I had your opportunity I'd cheat also?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If they have been screwed that long then why didn't they leave earlier? Better yet why did they join in the first place?

WV is not the innocent victim you are portraying them to be. You're just using that argument in the hopes of convincing us and yourself that WV's actions have a moral high road. That's ridiculous. WV is just looking out for itself. It has a right and an obligation to do that. But that doesn't make any action it takes morally justified.

This is a case where the action taken by WV negatively impacts other parties. And the action taken by the other parties negatively impacts WV. No one is right or wrong or better or worse than anyone else here. Everyone is looking out for their own interest.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It stinks that the rest of you guys have to be collateral damage in all this but we have to get off the sinking ship while we can.

The ACC doesn't need Pitt and 'Cuse for '12 like the Big 12 needs us or they would be doing the same damn thing.
I deleted that post because I reconsidered what I wrote. I guess I didn't do it quickly enough.

Reaction Score

Sour grapes? The incite of someone sitting in Connecticut on what is going on in the Midwest rings a little hollow.

Reaction Score
100% disagree. We would be doing what SyraPitt is doing.

In fairness what are Syracuse and Pitt doing? We don't know yet. My guess is they have just been sitting on the sidelines waiting to see what else happened to the Big East. See if WV left, if UL got an offer, what the Big East does, etc. I am not sold that Syracuse and Pitt intend to stay for 27 months. Not at all.

Reaction Score
Good people refrain from doing things that they'd prefer to do on a daily basis because it's not the right thing to do or because they've committed otherwise. That is what makes someone a good person. But please don't justify acting immorally by saying others would do it too, because (i) you don't know that and (ii) it doesn't change anything. Is cheating on your wife o.k. because you can argue if I had your opportunity I'd cheat also?

I can't stand the "Eers" and think their fans are the worst in all of football. But I don't think what WV is doing is immoral or moral. I don't think much of this rises to the level of morality. Everyone in the Big East has been looking for a home to go to. WV got one. Uconn has not - yet. It is completely reasonable that WV filed their lawsuit to preempt the Big East from filing in a better jurisdiction. The Big East has demonstrated that it will use litigation. So WV is doing what it thinks it has to do. This is the way the world works. Not saying it should work this way. It is the same reason the SEC was massively cautious with A&M knowing what Ken Starr said he would be willing to do.

For the record, I don't think Oliver Luck is an immoral person. He is the opposite. He is doing what he has to do to protect WV. Having said all that.....I still cannot and never well like or even respect 95% of WV fans. Most classless bunch in all of college sports.

Reaction Score
Not a lawyer but it seems to me the only hope WVU has is arguing that specific performance is not a proper relief. They will try to argue that cash can compensate the Big East for any damages after they lose their case on it's lack of merit.

I'm not suggesting they will win this argument but it seems like their best chance to get to the B12 in 2012.

Reaction Score
I still cannot and never well like or even respect 95% of WV fans. Most classless bunch in all of college sports.

Then Uconn must have seen the 5% of them after Jasper Howard died. This realignment is bringing out the worst in everyone but their fans were unbelievable after that tragedy. I will never forget that.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Sour grapes? The incite of someone sitting in Connecticut on what is going on in the Midwest rings a little hollow.
We are not trying to incite anything. And none of us has a better insight into the future than anyone else.

Most of us are projecting events on snippets of information that we have at our disposal and weighing the potential for an outcome given the information provided to us. The most weighted factor is the reluctance of Texas to give into Missouri's demand for 12 years regarding media rights. Add to this bit of information that several B12 schools have recently left and Missouri is about to join them, many of us have concluded that Texas is a major stumbling block to the B12's stability. This doesn't mean that we know how unstable that conference is, nor if it will ever totally break up. But there is enough information that can be put together to make this hypothesis plausible.

This isn't sour grapes. This is a process called forecasting. I take it for what it is worth. A probable outcome imo based on today's evidence, that is subjective and therefore may not be accurate. Or it may be accurate, but some event or events between now and six years from now can occur which will influence events enough to cause a different outcome.

Reaction Score
Not sour grapes at all. I'm thrilled WVU got out, and was hoping you actually got into the SEC since that is what most WVU supporters wanted. I hope the rest of the BE FB schools get out too. I just don't view th B12 as being stable long term as long as Texas is palying around with the LHN. I think there is vulnerability if and when the P12 decides to go to 16 also, prbably in 5 years or so. It is definitely a better place to be than where we're at now. Defintiely not sour grapes. I wish WVU the best, just completely disagree with how they're handling this aspect of their exit.

Reaction Score
If/when this happens though, I doubt we'd sue to leave immediately. I'd expect we'd to go the exact same route SyraPitt took. Announce we're leaving, and honor the terms of the exit agreement. Hopefully we'll get to see just how UConn would handle this situation very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom