Do you think ND would want to play Uconn for NC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Do you think ND would want to play Uconn for NC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Did UCONN want to face Baylor in the final last year? Does Notre Dame wan to face UCONN this year? Yes.

Would they want to win a championship without having to beat UCONN and forever having a mental asterisk next to a championship?

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Most fans wont remember who you beat just that you won a championship. With that said I would love to drill ND or Tenn. Understand I do believe without a doubt that UConn will beat any team this season barring injuries by 20+. Muffits confidence is great for the game and a ND UConn final would be great for the game but I cant see ND beating UConn of coming within 20 pts of UConn unless Geno clears the bench late in the game or Uconn has injuries. This is one of the most powerful balanced teams that WCBB has ever witnessed. You have 5 AAs starting. Two terrific guards on both sides of the ball. 3 terrific shot blockers making it difficult to score inside. The beat outside shooter in the country healthy and the best player in WCBB. Now think about it. ND is good but I wonder if they will make the finals. They should. Theyre good enough but they arent in UConns caliber this season. All this talk about 7 wins...well thats the past. This is a whole new season and UConn is much better then the team that beat ND by 18 last season.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Did UCONN want to face Baylor in the final last year? Does Notre Dame wan to face UCONN this year? Yes.
Would they want to win a championship without having to beat UCONN and forever having a mental asterisk next to a championship?

I think that any school would be so thrilled to win the championship that except for perhaps one circumstance, they would not attach an asterisk, mental or otherwise, to the accomplishment. I, for one, certainly don't diminish UConn's championship from last year just because Baylor wasn't the opponent. Baylor fans won't necessarily agree with this but their team lost fair and square last year. Their team was whole - no significant injuries that changed who they put on the floor. Notwithstanding the impact of referring in the Louisville game, I think almost everyone agrees that Mulkey was outcoached that night and that was the biggest factor in the upset. Coaching, good or bad, is just part of the game and is why I consider Baylor's loss fair and square.

The one possible exception is if a team has significant injuries so late in the season that they don't have time to adjust. I'm thinking UConn without Shea and Svetlana. I know that injuries are part of the game, just like bad coaching, but for me, this is a different kind of obstacle.

Reaction Score
Most fans wont remember who you beat just that you won a championship. With that said I would love to drill ND or Tenn. Understand I do believe without a doubt that UConn will beat any team this season barring injuries by 20+. Muffits confidence is great for the game and a ND UConn final would be great for the game but I cant see ND beating UConn of coming within 20 pts of UConn unless Geno clears the bench late in the game or Uconn has injuries. This is one of the most powerful balanced teams that WCBB has ever witnessed. You have 5 AAs starting. Two terrific guards on both sides of the ball. 3 terrific shot blockers making it difficult to score inside. The beat outside shooter in the country healthy and the best player in WCBB. Now think about it. ND is good but I wonder if they will make the finals. They should. Theyre good enough but they arent in UConns caliber this season. All this talk about 7 wins...well thats the past. This is a whole new season and UConn is much better then the team that beat ND by 18 last season.

Exactomondo!!!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think that any school would be so thrilled to win the championship that except for perhaps one circumstance, they would not attach an asterisk, mental or otherwise, to the accomplishment. I, for one, certainly don't diminish UConn's championship from last year just because Baylor wasn't the opponent. Baylor fans won't necessarily agree with this but their team lost fair and square last year. Their team was whole - no significant injuries that changed who they put on the floor. Notwithstanding the impact of referring in the Louisville game, I think almost everyone agrees that Mulkey was outcoached that night and that was the biggest factor in the upset. Coaching, good or bad, is just part of the game and is why I consider Baylor's loss fair and square.

The one possible exception is if a team has significant injuries so late in the season that they don't have time to adjust. I'm thinking UConn without Shea and Svetlana. I know that injuries are part of the game, just like bad coaching, but for me, this is a different kind of obstacle.
Last seasons game LVille and Tenn and LVille and Baylor showed me one thing. Many WCBB teams have to guard the perimeter. Most dont. Tenn never does. KM should've played to stop the trey with Griner underneath. She didn't and Baylor lost because of it.

Reaction Score

Almost everyone does not include me. Louisville won that game because they shot lights out; 64% from the three point line and there were 16 of them. For those who pitch their tents in the time and a half camp, that's like shooting 96% from two; An almost perfect offensive night. There is not a coach in the world, not a team in the world that can overcome such a level of proficiency. Yet, Baylor almost pulled it off. Villanova 1985, Baylor 2013. That's why the games are played.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Almost everyone does not include me. Louisville won that game because they shot lights out; 64% from the three point line and there were 16 of them. For those who pitch their tents in the time and a half camp, that's like shooting 96% from two; An almost perfect offensive night. There is not a coach in the world, not a team in the world that can overcome such a level of proficiency. Yet, Baylor almost pulled it off. Villanova 1985, Baylor 2013. That's why the games are played.

Defend the three better. She didn't adjust her defense to do that.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

I understand your point, and absolutely agree with your last sentence. But I wonder this: If Louisville players were in that type of "zone of accuracy" and had been playing UConn instead Baylor, would they have had the same incredible results? My sense is that they wouldn't hav, because I think once Auriemma realized how hot the Cards were, he would have changed up the defensive alignment to disrupt the 3-point shooting. Yes, they shot lights out, but Mulkey's failure to adjust is what permitted that to happen to the degree it did. (Upon edit - I see I could have shortened this to "Just like DD says! Simultaneous posts!)

Reaction Score
Defend the three better. She didn't adjust her defense to do that.
I understand your point, and absolutely agree with your last sentence. But I wonder this: If Louisville players were in that type of "zone of accuracy" and had been playing UConn instead Baylor, would they have had the same incredible results? My sense is that they wouldn't hav, because I think once Auriemma realized how hot the Cards were, he would have changed up the defensive alignment to disrupt the 3-point shooting. Yes, they shot lights out, but Mulkey's failure to adjust is what permitted that to happen to the degree it did. (Upon edit - I see I could have shortened this to "Just like DD says! Simultaneous posts!)

Does anyone recall the adjustments Coach Auriemma made in the third round game against Georgetown back in 2011?

Reaction Score
Does anyone recall the adjustments Coach Auriemma made in the third round game against Georgetown back in 2011?
You mean besides waiting for Sugar's arms to get tired from jacking up 35 shots from 25 feet out?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Why not just tell us?

I was at the game and recall that he put Lorin Dixon in and she played great. I recall G'town made more 3s than normal, but most of those were in the 1st half so I'm thinking Geno made some kind of adjustment. What else?

Reaction Score
This is such a condescending thread. Believe me I have no love for that friggin leprechaun but it seems downright haughty to start a thread like this.

My guess is there are over 300 div 1 bb teams that would love to be playing for a NCAA Championship against us - even though 98% of them know they have no shot at beating us. ND on the other hand does have some hope (in their minds anyway)
I think what you're saying is completely off of what the thread is about. Of course, 300+ teams would love to play UConn for the national championship but only because it would mean they won 5 tournament games and would get a lot of national exposure. How many of those 300+ teams would prefer to BE IN the national championship game but playing someone they actually had a reasonable chance to beat. That is the premise of the original poster. Notre Dame would love to play Appalachian State for the national championship because the level of certainty that they would win the title is extraordinarily high. No one WANTS to have to BEAT UCONN to win the title.

Reaction Score
Getting back to Notre Dame, people forget that in the semi-finals last year, UConn beat Notre Dame by more points than they lost the three previous games during the year. It was more a case of UConn losing those previous games rather than Notre Dame beating the Huskies three times last year. I've seldom seen a UConn make so many silly mistakes to allow an opposing team to stay in the hunt and eventually beat them like they did with Notre Dame. You would almost think that there was a fix in because the mistakes and turnovers had nothing to do with stellar Notre Dame defense. Obviously UConn got rid of the demons and knocked the heck out of the Irish to move into the championship game against Louisville. I'm thinking Skylar must have missed a payment to her Witch doctor which allowed the Huskies to play their normal game. If we had had the Breanna Stewart that played that semi-final game playing the previous three games, people would be talking about UConn OWNING the Irish.

Reaction Score
I can't believe there're snobs every where and even in a WCB forum.

Reaction Score
I posted this elsewhere on this site but it fits here also!
ND won those 1st 3 games last season because UCONN "mentally" gave ND way too much credit and threw away each of those games late! When they just came out and played their usual offensive and defensive game, they blew ND's doors in the FF semi's by 18 points!
Without the diva ND is a better team, but the way for UCONN to beat ND is with their big girls! ND only has Achonwa as a great big girl while UCONN has Stewie, Stef, KML, & Stokes! The talented guards on both teams are a wash, but UCONN will dominate inside! If and when they meet, UCONN can & will win by 20+ points!
ND has not seen a defense like UCONN's all season! It's easy to talk a great game than play a great game!
I would like to see CT play whistle to whistle with their suffocating defense and grind ND down offensively and humiliate ND! Maybe then Muffett will shut-up her scheduling and "owning" UCONN recent comments BS!

Reaction Score
ND has not seen a defense like UCONN's all season! It's easy to talk a great game than play a great game!
I would like to see CT play whistle to whistle with their suffocating defense and grind ND down offensively and humiliate ND! Maybe then Muffett will shut-up her scheduling and "owning" UCONN recent comments BS!

You nailed it right on the head.
Maybe Muffett is a better person than I thought, but her recent japing at Geno and Uconn has gotten me all wound up.
I think Geno has this game planed out just like you said if we shall meet. And actually, I'd love to see them in the final so the game can be played and let the game do all the talking for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom