Do you think Kansas will demand an apology? | The Boneyard

Do you think Kansas will demand an apology?

Reaction Score

The NCAA called their actions "egregious" and "severe". I am shocked. SHOCKED the NCAA would go after them so harshly. That's quite a reprimand. Hope Kansas can recover from this nasty, nasty penalty.

Reaction Score
But I don’t think this is a reprimand, nor is it a penalty, it’s charges, no? Kansas is, of course, denying everything, but they are being charged with harsh stuff.

Reaction Score
Forgive my ignorance (i.e. laziness to looking it up)...Kansas says they don’t deny that impermissible benefits were given, but they shouldn’t be held responsible for the shoe companies actions. Doesn’t it not matter? If any student is caught receiving benefits they become ineligible, right? And playing ineligible players leads to vacated wins and the like?

Reaction Score
1588892126028.jpeg

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Forgive my ignorance (i.e. laziness to looking it up)...Kansas says they don’t deny that impermissible benefits were given, but they shouldn’t be held responsible for the shoe companies actions. Doesn’t it not matter? If any student is caught receiving benefits they become ineligible, right? And playing ineligible players leads to vacated wins and the like?
"However, where the parties diverge from the NCAA enforcement staff is on the key issue of responsibility for this conduct. They assert that Adidas and four of its employees or consultants are not representatives of the institution's athletics interests, arguing the enforcement staff's analysis is novel, unprecedented and never previously contemplated by the NCAA membership."

Reaction Score
former Husky AD employee, Sean Lester, mentioned throughout NCAA response given his role in handling the KU-Adidas contract

Reaction Score
"However, where the parties diverge from the NCAA enforcement staff is on the key issue of responsibility for this conduct. They assert that Adidas and four of its employees or consultants are not representatives of the institution's athletics interests, arguing the enforcement staff's analysis is novel, unprecedented and never previously contemplated by the NCAA membership."
Thanks...still can’t look at the situation and see how a shoe company “agent” (that’s who they are) can be classified anything different than a traditional sports agent. Any kid taking money from agents is no no, how can a shoe company be classified as different? Guess this is how it all plays out, words will matter in these cases?

Reaction Score
So Kansas admits they were real... but were they spectacular?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Kansas will suffer the same fate as UNC
Double Double Secret non-probation Probation
Reserved for the Elite P5
The problem with Louisville - they aren't elite - yet

Reaction Score
And yet they still signed a 14yr/$196million contract with a company that they knew funneled money to recruits. Hopefully they don't scrape their nose on the ceiling.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
NCAA seeing their chance to hand them the death penalty.

For 2 months.

Starting now.

Reaction Score
Why go to the independent arbitrators? The NCAA won't hand Kansas a penalty.

On a similar note, I saw an article today that said the P5 football teams could drip the NCAA and be better off as there is a general consensus of how bad NCAA leadership is.

The NCAA will probably tell KU they filed this under the wrong school and all findings will be dropped due to a clerical error.

CL82

Reaction Score
Thanks...still can’t look at the situation and see how a shoe company “agent” (that’s who they are) can be classified anything different than a traditional sports agent. Any kid taking money from agents is no no, how can a shoe company be classified as different? Guess this is how it all plays out, words will matter in these cases?
It’s a problematic position, but I have long since given up on schools being held accountable. UNC’s position was ridiculous, but in the end it carried the day. Louisville and Kansas are egregious repeat offenders. If the NCAA doesn’t sanction them, it makes their whole enforcement regime look arbitrary and capricious.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
NCAA seeing their chance to hand them the death penalty.

For 2 months.

Starting now.
I don’t think there is a death penalty anymore. At least I think that was what someone posted in the Louisville thread.

Reaction Score
Only putting this here so people can see it's been almost 3 years since the NCAA leveled allegations against Kansas, and almost 5 years since this first came out, and still the fight is going on. But Kansas held Self and an assistant off the road in July. Must be using this as a sacrificial lamb for the NCAA. Even though it won't hurt Kansas's recruiting at all. I still hope the NCAA hammers them at some point.

Kansas coach Bill Self and assistant coach Kurtis Townsend were held off the road for the live recruiting period in July, sources told CBS Sports. Self and Townsend missed the biggest month in college basketball recruiting, which came and went Sunday afternoon without the leader of the reigning national champions at key events nationwide.

CL82

Reaction Score

The NCAA called their actions "egregious" and "severe". I am shocked. SHOCKED the NCAA would go after them so harshly. That's quite a reprimand. Hope Kansas can recover from this nasty, nasty penalty.
Frankly, I am shocked. Bill Self always seemed to be a model of propriety.

(It looks like it’s time to update my monograph Self and Kansas.)

Reaction Score
So, if we got some NCAA heat right now, how would we handle it? Isn’t there precedent at this point for any school to sue the NCAA and show that they don’t penalize the worst offenders and instead punish the small fish and the big names they have a vendetta against?

Reaction Score
Although they can’t punish a University if the improper benefits were between the student athlete and the shoe company behind the back of the athletic dept.

All the games those players appeared in should be forfeited.
If any of those guys played in 1997
I’m counting it a a win.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Only putting this here so people can see it's been almost 3 years since the NCAA leveled allegations against Kansas, and almost 5 years since this first came out, and still the fight is going on. But Kansas held Self and an assistant off the road in July. Must be using this as a sacrificial lamb for the NCAA. Even though it won't hurt Kansas's recruiting at all. I still hope the NCAA hammers them at some point.

Kansas coach Bill Self and assistant coach Kurtis Townsend were held off the road for the live recruiting period in July, sources told CBS Sports. Self and Townsend missed the biggest month in college basketball recruiting, which came and went Sunday afternoon without the leader of the reigning national champions at key events nationwide.

Is giving Self July off really disincentivizing him?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom