Do you root for URI in the tournament? | The Boneyard

Do you root for URI in the tournament?

Reaction Score
For those that want Dan Hurley to be the next coach our team,
Are you rooting for a deep tournament run to confirm we are getting a great coach? This could make him appealing to more schools on a national level, driving up the competition and price up on him...or would you prefer quick tournament exit? Which potentially cools any national hype, and hypothetically gets him to Storrs sooner.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I want Trae Young to drop 40 on URI, and then take out Duke.

And I want DB watching the game in Pitt to meetup with Hurley immediately and start talking behind closed doors. We'll have to wait a few more weeks I assume until KO's business is taken care of for the formal announcement.

Reaction Score
Not really that worried about losing Hurley to another school at the moment, so wouldn't mind seeing him win a game or 2.

Reaction Score
Probably the best thing that can happen is to eke out a win over Oklahoma and lose in OT to a 2 seed in the next round two days later. We want it done soon, me too, but what is two extra days? This Ollie stuff is not getting done until final four weekend IMO. Plus No one (99% sure) will remember a 7 seed that lost in OT by time the sweet 16 comes so it will cool the national exposure while still validating that he is a good coach. Getting creamed by Oklahoma will make people wonder. Honestly I do not think we want that. 7 seeds are in a good place where they do not have to do much to validate their season. Uconn was an outlier.

Reaction Score
Probably the best thing that can happen is to eke out a win over Oklahoma and lose in OT to a 2 seed in the next round two days later. We want it done soon, me too, but what is two extra days? This Ollie stuff is not getting done until final four weekend IMO. Plus No one (99% sure) will remember a 7 seed that lost in OT by time the sweet 16 comes so it will cool the national exposure while still validating that he is a good coach. Getting creamed by Oklahoma will make people wonder. Honestly I do not think we want that. 7 seeds are in a good place where they do not have to do much to validate their season. Uconn was an outlier.

Only because you're the person that responded after me, but who are these schools that UConn needs to be deathly afraid of when it comes to Hurley competition? Outside of UCLA deciding they want to reunite the Hurley brothers out west I'm not seeing any.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
If Hurleys gonna be our coach it would benefit us if URI had about two wins or more in the tournament. His/our ability to
Recruit and retain commitments improves
When kids see him coach wins.

Reaction Score
The farther URI goes in the tourney, the more the price fir Hurley will go up.

This is what I’m thinking. I’d like him to do well but I’m leaning towards a first round loss so we can move forward. If he wins I’ll be happy for him.

Reaction Score
A first round exit wouldn't surprise me for URI. They have the players this year but when the pressure heats up expect the team to take on the persona of their coach and get tight...followed by another late game choke job.

If they survive Oklahoma who has a chip on their shoulder...the Duke match-up is the worse URI could have.

Have you seen Andre Berry (weight/after 4 years)? Based on the eye test...there can't be any interior defender in the country as bad. For every 2 points he gets you on the offensive end (he is good there) he gives up 6 on the defensive end. One of the reasons URI continuously gets off to bad starts is Berry on the defensive end. Once CL comes in after 6 minutes things tend to settle in for URI. That has been the trend against better teams.

I am definitely rooting for URI more than any team in the tournament though. Local flavor and would love to see Hurley prove to me he can be a 2nd weekend coach. URI/Hurley did a very good job of blowing games down the stretch to give his team a lower seed/and the possible Duke game in the 2nd round.

Reaction Score
I know nothing about Oklahoma, but they've damn near lost every game for the last 2 months. I hope URI at least competes in that game.

Reaction Score
I know nothing about Oklahoma, but they've damn near lost every game for the last 2 months. I hope URI at least competes in that game.

This is a game I can't wait to watch.

Hurley "Now its just all elation" on being in the tournament.

Trae Young..."I know our team has a big chip on their shoulder...Me personally, I have a tremendous chip on my shoulder. I'll be ready to play."

It should be interesting. In Hurley we trust. Lets do this!

Reaction Score
Why on earth would a possible effect on his price matter?
We just saved $10M + the Geico money! :)
I agree that exposure of Hurley helps Hurley recruit.
I believe that NCAA tournament coaching experience helps you coach in the NCAA tournament.
Go Rams!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
wouldn't want them to win if Hurley was there or not - goes back to the old Yankee Conference days in Basketball and soccer - ah, the old URIne chant - kinda miss those days
I am not in the Hurley corner - UConn can do better - but that has nothing to do with the game or games they play and who I want to win
If URI plays Duke, I want URI

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
wouldn't want them to win if Hurley was there or not - goes back to the old Yankee Conference days in Basketball and soccer - ah, the old URIne chant - kinda miss those days
I am not in the Hurley corner - UConn can do better - but that has nothing to do with the game or games they play and who I want to win
If URI plays Duke, I want URI
Out of the names we’ve heard are realistic... Hurley, Crean, Martin, Schmidt, Becker, Grant... I’d choose Hurley, but Martin would be good by me too. Who are you hoping for?

Reaction Score
Go and beat Duke. Show us you have what it takes to play w the big dogs

Reaction Score
I want him to win in the first round and then lose to Duke, but give em hell

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
URI hasn't been playing well. Oklahoma is a tough 10 seed. It will be a very challenging game for them, and they have no chance against Duke. So it's not worth worrying about.

Reaction Score
If our AD is doing things right for hiring Hurley, we already have a contract drafted up. It already has salary, etc. hammered out and it's not dependent at all on how far URI goes in the Tourney. Non-negotiable.

With that said, I'll root for them to beat OK & Dook. Making 2nd week for them would be great.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If our AD is doing things right for hiring Hurley, we already have a contract drafted up. It already has salary, etc. hammered out and it's not dependent at all on how far URI goes in the Tourney. Non-negotiable.

With that said, I'll root for them to beat OK & Dook. Making 2nd week for them would be great.

I hope they make an E8 run solely because that means Duke or Mich St doesn't.

I hate them more than Kentucky.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom