Do you let your kid commit to PSU? | The Boneyard

Do you let your kid commit to PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How in the world do you sign off on your kid committing to PSU?

If you are an athlete being recruited by a coach who knew of some of the activities (allegedly) how can you say yes?

Recruiting has to take a major hit and not just for football.

Reaction Score
What are our odds of landing joe pa after all this shakes out?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
how happy is miami, unc and tosu right now?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
More like, don't let your underage kid camp at PSU. Maybe if he's a 20 year old transfer he doesn't have anything to worry about?

Reaction Score

If you are an athlete being recruited by a coach who knew of some of the activities (allegedly) how can you say yes?

Would you let your kid play football at UConn? A UConn player was murdered. Penn State players might have been coached by a reprehensible human being, but nothing bad happened to a Penn State player.

Glass house.

Reaction Score
Would you let your kid play football at UConn? A UConn player was murdered. Penn State players might have been coached by a reprehensible human being, but nothing bad happened to a Penn State player.

Glass house.

Our situation was more of a one-time incident, perpetrated by people not affiliated with UConn. This one is directly on the head coach and administrators, and it was a long string of incidents.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Of course you would. Do you really believe your 18-22 year old son would be in some kind of danger? Lets not go crazy because one guy was a child molester.

Reaction Score
Fortunately the offenders of both the uconn and psu tragedies will not be allowed a chance to do it again. I'd send my kid to either university.

Reaction Score

Glass house.

Nominated for group home post of the week. Good job Chrissy.

Reaction Score

Glass house.

Reaction Score
Yes it was one child molester that an AD, a very high profile head coach and another higher up allowed it to continue.

You can bet the house more will be revealed.

How people can minimize the inaction of Joe Pa and the AD boggles my mind. They allowed other children to be damaged for life.

You want your student athlete to learn about morals and ethics or lack there of well you send him to PSU. It was only one perve and a giant no excuse cover up. My kind of place.

Reaction Score
If at 18, my son can't fend off the advances of an old man then I've failed as a parent.

Reaction Score
Of course you would. Do you really believe your 18-22 year old son would be in some kind of danger? Lets not go crazy because one guy was a child molester.

Did you really think that is what I meant? C'mon....

My point is that I wouldn't be proud to tell anyone that my kid committed to an institution whose athletic department allowed the most horrific crime imaginable to go on.

After Joe Pa reports it and nothing happens he needs to go to the police. Period, end of story.

Reaction Score
After hearing in detail what happened to one 10 year old boy specifically i retract my statements. I would not want my kid going to a school where a 10 year old was infact raped in the locking room. This goes way beyond inappropriate advances or sexual harassment. Clean house, that place reeks. First hand accounts of a boy and a man in the shower together and nothing was done.

Reaction Score
Some of you are all class.

I would send my child to either institution. Bad things can and do happen at both universities. No one is perfect. Both are overall good institutions.

Reaction Score
Somehow, "child molester" doesn't seem to be a strong enough term for what Sandusky is.

Would I want my kid or my brother or anyone to attend Penn State? Of course I would.

This mess exists because of one man's lechery and a very small group of cowardly but powerful men who didn't do the right thing.

But I don't think anyone would fault anyone else for looking elsewhere because of these crimes.

Would I want them to play football there? No, while any of the current staff are there.

Reaction Score
This level of hypocrisy in the athletic department is absolutely appalling. Nothing comfortable about that.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Should UConn join the B!G if it gets an invite? Does UConn want to be partners in a league with the type of culture that exists around PSU? Does anyone think Ohio State is any better? I bet most of us would say these questions are ridiculous.

The specific details surrounding Sandusky's acts are appalling. Examining the events of the university and the action taken by leadership in 1998 and 2002 it is easy to come away with a sense of futility about our society.

The action's were certainly a lot less horrific at Miami, but there can be little doubt that most of the Miami leadership knew about Shapiro's reputation and condoned his involvement with players and coaches.

There is a lot of cr*p going on all the time and we just get glimpses of the stuff. It makes you wonder how much goes on that we never hear about.

The general public finds out about Sandusky in 2011. But does anyone think he started his crimes in 1998? How many years went by before he was finally stopped? Same with Shapiro? Same with the North Carolina football team. Does anyone believe the first OSU incidences happened with Tressel? Or Jim O'Brien?

Is there a reason why Jeff Hathaway wanted the findings regarding his "encouragement to resign" sealed? Maybe it was only inefficiency. Maybe it was something more. We may never know if something else happened.

PSU will be hurt badly by these incidences and rightfully so. But the institution will survive. As it should. The University has done a lot of good. Same with JoePa. And all the good has helped the world in many ways. But these incidences can't go unpunished. And my guess is that the alumni and faculty will demand JoePa and the President retire from the university. And the university will put into place a system to correct these oversights and mismanagements. And they will work, at lest initially.

Reaction Score

I guess I would allow them to attend with the caveat that there is 100% turnover in all relevant athletic administration and coaching staff. If there is a single person who had a single iota of involvement remaining, then the answer is no.

Of course I don't have kids, so I'm answering with my head and not my heart.

Reaction Score
Should UConn join the B!G if it gets an invite? Does UConn want to be partners in a league with the type of culture that exists around PSU? Does anyone think Ohio State is any better? I bet most of us would say these questions are ridiculous.

The specific details surrounding Sandusky's acts are appalling. Examining the events of the university and the action taken by leadership in 1998 and 2002 it is easy to come away with a sense of futility about our society.

Just as an FYI, it's the 2002 incident that boggles the mind.

The 1998 incident was reported to the authorities, there was a police investigation and an undercover investigation by the DA with police staked out in a home where Sandusky was talking to a kids parents about an incident in which he was hugging a kid in the showers.

That season, Sandusky was forced out at Penn State, likely because of what had happened.

In light of this, it was the 2002 incident that has everyone up in arms.

Reaction Score
I guess I would allow them to attend with the caveat that there is 100% turnover in all relevant athletic administration and coaching staff. If there is a single person who had a single iota of involvement remaining, then the answer is no.

Of course I don't have kids, so I'm answering with my head and not my heart.

A clean sweep will happen anyway but you have to know that if any of the other coaches knew what McQueary knew, they would have been long gone. Larry Johnson, for instance, turned down DC positions in the Big10 to remain at PSU (probably under the premise of becoming the DC there). Had he known, he was gone.

Reaction Score
I would hope that I've raised a kid capable of making his own choice; it's his life and his decision to make, not mine. I'd provide guidance, advice, and help him work through the decision, but it's not my place to tell him what he can or can't do with his life as an adult.

Reaction Score
A big mess at Penn State, so probably it will require that UConn basketball lose yet another scholarship for kids jumping to the NBA and not getting their degree. That would seem fair - or at least that seems to be how the NCAA proceeds in these situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom