Do we take Chris Dailey for granted? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Do we take Chris Dailey for granted?

Reaction Score
Back when UConn games were on CPTV, CD often gave the halftime and game end interviews. I miss those.
And I taped, on cassette, everyone of them. Remember calling in and asking Geno direct Questions?? He hated mine. Nice memory.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think Geno and CD’s contrasting styles complement each other wonderfully, and demonstrate that there’s more than one way to get the job done.
I heard an interview from Chris one time, probably on SNY, we’re she said that she and Geno are careful to make sure only one of them is pressing a kid at a time. I thought that was interesting because it often seems that Auriemma pushes the kids intuitively, but that quote seem to suggest that there’s a lot of method, and collaboration, to the madness.

We are extraordinarily fortunate to have a Hall of Fame coach on our bench and one who coincidently is probably the only coach in highmajor college basketball to have a better winning percentage than Auriemma.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I heard an interview from Chris one time, probably on SNY, we’re she said that she and Geno are careful to make sure only one of them is pressing a kid at a time. I thought that was interesting because it often seems that Auriemma pushes the kids intuitively, but that quote seem to suggest that there’s a lot of method, and collaboration, to the madness.

We are extraordinarily fortunate to have a Hall of Fame coach on our bench and one who coincidently is probably the only coach in highmajor college basketball to have a better winning percentage than Auriemma.
Both Geno & CD are HOF coaches. Geno was enshrined in the Basketball HOF in Springfield in 2006. CD was enshrined in the Women’s Basketball HOF in Knoxville in 2018.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Both Geno & CD are HOF coaches. Geno was enshrined in the Basketball HOF in Springfield in 2006. CD was enshrined in the Women’s Basketball HOF in Knoxville in 2018.
Yep, I was trying to acknowledge that, but did so in artfully.

Reaction Score
Always been a huge CD fan. It’s never easy taking over head coaching reins at the last minute, especially on the road. Witness Maryland’s loss at Ohio State while Frese was out as a further example.

I’m impressed with CD’s ability to remain calm, yet imposing. I recall an interview with a former player, I believe it was Tamika Williams who mentioned during one of their games when Geno was out, all she remembered was CD in the huddle shouting instructions while sweating and makeup running. it was surprising to her since CD is normally so well put together.

Reaction Score
One additional aspect of Chris Dailey that I really appreciate is her poise and intelligence during postgame pressers. For someone who doesn’t do it often, she handles the press with great professionalism, and her answers to questions are always “spot on.”

While Geno’s pressers are typically colorful and entertaining, I wouldn’t mind hearing from Chris Dailey every now and then. Maybe Geno can send her out to meet with the press once a month or so. :)
So spot on!! Coach Dailey's poise, style, and intelligence during the pressers are a joy to listen too...and, No. We do not take CD for granted. We, and I am sure Coach Geno does as well, greatly appreciates CD and all that she brings to the program.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Yes, definitely noticed taking Olivia out at end of third. Pretty basic move to give player a bit more of a break, but don't see it much.Did she rest Christyn at one point in the second half also?
The only two players that didn't get much rest were Nika (39 min) and Olivia (38 min). Everyone else played 28 minutes or less.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I know. She’s a HOF coach who’s been at Geno’s side for all of his 36 seasons at UConn. She’s never lost a game filling in as HC. But sometimes I wonder if UConn fans think Chris Dailey’s primary responsibility is wrestling Geno on the sideline to keep him from getting Tee’d up.

Last night against Creighton Chris Dailey proved once again why she is invaluable to UConn WBB. With Geno ailing, the Huskies short-handed, on the road, against a good Creighton team, Dailey took the reins as HC.

Dailey did an absolutely brilliant job guiding the Huskies last night. Creighton came out like a tidal wave at the start of the game leading by double digits in the first quarter. Dailey settled the team down with her characteristic calm demeanor (the anti-Geno), and made some adjustments that had UConn back to within 2 at the half.

During halftime, Dailey made some more adjustments and UConn came out firing on all cylinders in the second half. Throughout the game, Dailey pushed all the right buttons with her substitution patterns. At times UConn had anywhere from 3 to 5 guards on the floor, which prevented Creighton from getting back into their comfort zone at either end of the court.

While focusing on the game and substitutions, Dailey still managed to coach players on the bench during play, demonstrating that she is a master multi-tasker. Geno will tell anyone that listens just how important Chris Dailey has been to the success of UConn WBB.

We may take her for granted from time to time. But there is no denying that when the history of UConn WBB is written, Chris Dailey’s influence on the success of the program can never be underestimated.
An excellent observation OD. Because CD has been at Geno's side from day 1 and pretty much stays in the back ground, she may be taken for granted at times. She knows every player and what buttons to push to get the most from them at any given time. After all, she did have a hand in recruiting them.

If they ever erect a statue of Geno outside of Gampel Pavilion, there had better be one of CD over his shoulder. She has been his trusty "Tonto/Robin" for 37 years. :) She has had many opportunities to leave and start her own program, but didn't. As you suggest there cannot be a meaningful dialog about the history of UConn WBB with recognizing the contributions of Chris Dailey.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know. She’s a HOF coach who’s been at Geno’s side for all of his 36 seasons at UConn. She’s never lost a game filling in as HC. But sometimes I wonder if UConn fans think Chris Dailey’s primary responsibility is wrestling Geno on the sideline to keep him from getting Tee’d up.

Last night against Creighton Chris Dailey proved once again why she is invaluable to UConn WBB. With Geno ailing, the Huskies short-handed, on the road, against a good Creighton team, Dailey took the reins as HC.

Dailey did an absolutely brilliant job guiding the Huskies last night. Creighton came out like a tidal wave at the start of the game leading by double digits in the first quarter. Dailey settled the team down with her characteristic calm demeanor (the anti-Geno), and made some adjustments that had UConn back to within 2 at the half.

During halftime, Dailey made some more adjustments and UConn came out firing on all cylinders in the second half. Throughout the game, Dailey pushed all the right buttons with her substitution patterns. At times UConn had anywhere from 3 to 5 guards on the floor, which prevented Creighton from getting back into their comfort zone at either end of the court.

While focusing on the game and substitutions, Dailey still managed to coach players on the bench during play, demonstrating that she is a master multi-tasker. Geno will tell anyone that listens just how important Chris Dailey has been to the success of UConn WBB.

We may take her for granted from time to time. But there is no denying that when the history of UConn WBB is written, Chris Dailey’s influence on the success of the program can never be underestimated.
Great insight into CD's value--often hidden--to the team. In fact, i dare say had Geno been coaching and we had that 1str Q swoon, I don't know whether we would have recovered like we did. CD was very encouraging--critiquing with affirmation, and the players greatly responded. While Liv was the catalyst on the floor, CD was the overall catalyst for our comeback....

Reaction Score
Great insight into CD's value--often hidden--to the team. In fact, i dare say had Geno been coaching and we had that 1str Q swoon, I don't know whether we would have recovered like we did. CD was very encouraging--critiquing with affirmation, and the players greatly responded. While Liv was the catalyst on the floor, CD was the overall catalyst for our comeback....
Maybe the players need more CD and less drill sergeant style of coaching?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was very impressed how composed CD was on the sideline

I can imagine if Geno were on the sidelines in the first Q, he may have pulled an Autumn and have a player take over the coaching. And would anyone doubt Paige would take the clipboard immediately ;)

Reaction Score
In raising my children, especially my daughters, there are just some vital connections I made with them that I would not have made if not for my wife. The reality is...I just didn't get all their emotions and priorities and I accepted that I was failing them. I needed help. And it wasn't that I was a caveman...I just didn't understand their "language". CD does this for the ladies at UCONN. It's not easy, but I think she keeps them focused and they feel she's someone who will...understand their language.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Larger Post game presser than the SNY clip

\\\

Love her Diamondback rattlesnake jacket. My mom had one in the late 70's early 80's which was almost the same as CD's. I don't know if CD's is real or not, but my mom's was.

Reaction Score
We will never know her full value. The things she does with the players off the court. I’m sure there are times after tough practices and games when a second mom is needed just to tell the players that everything will be okay and tomorrow is another day. She knows the game and how to coach it and she knows how these young women feel sometimes. Invaluable.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Someone posted that Geno rants at the players as he takes them out of the game and then they go to the end of the bench. They further suggested that today's players might have a problem with that. Well, that's not the case. If you watch, the player goes down the bench, slapping hands with everyone on the bench and then takes the seat next to Chris. Chris will then talk to the player.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The one mannerism of Geno's I don't really understand on the sideline which on some level bugs me is not celebrating at some of the best shots or plays (especially in the regular season) our players make. The one that comes to mind is Paige's dagger 3 last year at TN. A shot I often relive on my down time

Not even a hint that something really cool and important occurred. Same with Caroline's game winner against DePaul . I can maybe remember only a few plays and mostly in the NC games where he was really animated after a clutch or brilliant play.

Not suggesting that he high five the coaching staff and players but a little smile / clap.:confused:

I know he claps for the entire team at end of quarters , halves so maybe it is an emphasis of team over individual?

Or maybe the point is that even the greatest plays are expected at UConn so why clap when you are doing your job?

CD is not like that. She will cheer good plays and show positive emotion on big positive plays

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Not a jab at Geno, at all - just an observation. This team in particular seems to have "tuned Geno out" when he starts ranting at them when he takes them out of the game for some reason or another. They just walk by him, head down, to the end of the bench while the other coaches try to "make nice". In years past, the players got mad and immediately responded and turned their play around. Some of today's players might need that other tact to get it going. All this coming from a huge Geno fan. Mrs. Gigio, however, who knows very little about basketball, but a lot about women, has pointed this out to me on numerous occasions this season.
I've noticed more often thn not the player tht been subbed out will sit in a open chair next to Coach Dailey for an assessment of what she may have done wrong (a translation of certain swear words from the head coach) and some uplifting words of encouragement .

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I've noticed more often thn not the player tht been subbed out will sit in a open chair next to Coach Dailey for an assessment of what she may have done wrong (a translation of certain swear words from the head coach) and some uplifting words of encouragement .
Yes, that’s the routine. What I noticed in yesterday’s game was that CD was not only replacing Geno as the HC, but she was still talking to each player as they subbed out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom