Do we take Chris Dailey for granted? | The Boneyard

Do we take Chris Dailey for granted?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know. She’s a HOF coach who’s been at Geno’s side for all of his 36 seasons at UConn. She’s never lost a game filling in as HC. But sometimes I wonder if UConn fans think Chris Dailey’s primary responsibility is wrestling Geno on the sideline to keep him from getting Tee’d up.

Last night against Creighton Chris Dailey proved once again why she is invaluable to UConn WBB. With Geno ailing, the Huskies short-handed, on the road, against a good Creighton team, Dailey took the reins as HC.

Dailey did an absolutely brilliant job guiding the Huskies last night. Creighton came out like a tidal wave at the start of the game leading by double digits in the first quarter. Dailey settled the team down with her characteristic calm demeanor (the anti-Geno), and made some adjustments that had UConn back to within 2 at the half.

During halftime, Dailey made some more adjustments and UConn came out firing on all cylinders in the second half. Throughout the game, Dailey pushed all the right buttons with her substitution patterns. At times UConn had anywhere from 3 to 5 guards on the floor, which prevented Creighton from getting back into their comfort zone at either end of the court.

While focusing on the game and substitutions, Dailey still managed to coach players on the bench during play, demonstrating that she is a master multi-tasker. Geno will tell anyone that listens just how important Chris Dailey has been to the success of UConn WBB.

We may take her for granted from time to time. But there is no denying that when the history of UConn WBB is written, Chris Dailey’s influence on the success of the program can never be underestimated.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One additional aspect of Chris Dailey that I really appreciate is her poise and intelligence during postgame pressers. For someone who doesn’t do it often, she handles the press with great professionalism, and her answers to questions are always “spot on.”

While Geno’s pressers are typically colorful and entertaining, I wouldn’t mind hearing from Chris Dailey every now and then. Maybe Geno can send her out to meet with the press once a month or so. :)

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I do recall that when somebody asked Geno who was his best recruit ever, his response was "Chris Dailey".

I believe he hired her only a day or two after he signed on.
I have read that over the years he did urge her to take one of the offers she had received to be head coach somewhere else. Clearly he felt she would do a great job in that position. Penn State a while back comes to mind in that regard.
Strictly imo I think the only offer she would have taken was from her alma mater Rutgers. That was maybe around 1996...Rutgers wanted Vivien Stringer who had done a wonderful job at Iowa. My recollection is that C. Viv was undecided and put the Rutgers offer on hold for several weeks Rutgers One A choice [Chris] pulled her name from consideration since UConn recruiting was in full swing and she felt obligated to get busy at her current job not knowing if Stringer would accept or not.

I do not know if 'associate head coaches' will ever get a realistic shot at the Hall of Fame [in Springfield] but if they do Chris should be first in line...period.

Reaction Score
Simple answer is yes, we take her for granted. She and Geno have different specialties and areas of focus, but both working toward a common goal. She has been good in the dozen or so times she has had to be the coach over the many years, and although clearly in the background much of the time, she has been recognized probably more than any associate coach I can think of. Her place on the wall with the Huskies of Honor was deserving and a good gesture by the program to reflect her contribution.

Perhaps we take all of the assistant coaches for granted. Most probably thought losing Shea wouldn't be a difference maker, but the way this season has gone, maybe she too was a much bigger factor than we give her credit for.

Reaction Score
She was masterful as she led us out of funk we were in. The substitution of Evina for Caroline was a good one because Caroline was acting like a freshmen and dribbling into double teams and needed to settle down and regroup. Evina as the other wing can concentrate on her 3 point shot which looked great in form and confidence. Subbing for Liv with 34 seconds left in the third quarter gave a her a blow because she worked so hard in that quarter on both offense and defense. Many more substitutions were spot on.

Reaction Score
She was masterful as she led us out of funk we were in. The substitution of Evina for Caroline was a good one because Caroline was acting like a freshmen and dribbling into double teams and needed to settle down and regroup. Evina as the other wing can concentrate on her 3 point shot which looked great in form and confidence. Subbing for Liv with 34 seconds left in the third quarter gave a her a blow because she worked so hard in that quarter on both offense and defense. Many more substitutions were spot on.
Yes, definitely noticed taking Olivia out at end of third. Pretty basic move to give player a bit more of a break, but don't see it much.Did she rest Christyn at one point in the second half also?

Reaction Score
I know. She’s a HOF coach who’s been at Geno’s side for all of his 36 seasons at UConn. She’s never lost a game filling in as HC. But sometimes I wonder if UConn fans think Chris Dailey’s primary responsibility is wrestling Geno on the sideline to keep him from getting Tee’d up.

Last night against Creighton Chris Dailey proved once again why she is invaluable to UConn WBB. With Geno ailing, the Huskies short-handed, on the road, against a good Creighton team, Dailey took the reins as HC.

Dailey did an absolutely brilliant job guiding the Huskies last night. Creighton came out like a tidal wave at the start of the game leading by double digits in the first quarter. Dailey settled the team down with her characteristic calm demeanor (the anti-Geno), and made some adjustments that had UConn back to within 2 at the half.

During halftime, Dailey made some more adjustments and UConn came out firing on all cylinders in the second half. Throughout the game, Dailey pushed all the right buttons with her substitution patterns. At times UConn had anywhere from 3 to 5 guards on the floor, which prevented Creighton from getting back into their comfort zone at either end of the court.

While focusing on the game and substitutions, Dailey still managed to coach players on the bench during play, demonstrating that she is a master multi-tasker. Geno will tell anyone that listens just how important Chris Dailey has been to the success of UConn WBB.

We may take her for granted from time to time. But there is no denying that when the history of UConn WBB is written, Chris Dailey’s influence on the success of the program can never be underestimated.
she was remarkably calm and composed during the first quarter last night..........it was as if she knew the team would get it right eventually..........very impressive indeed........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, definitely noticed taking Olivia out at end of third. Pretty basic move to give player a bit more of a break, but don't see it much.Did she rest Christyn at one point in the second half also?
Christyn was a little gimpy after her spectacular crossover layup, so Chris Dailey took her out. Subsequently, after Caroline was smacked in the head, Christyn came back in.

Reaction Score
@jabstep - Yes, that was a masterful move. It took guts to bench arguably your best player to date (Caroline) early in the 1st quarter. However, she returned her to the game in the 2nd quarter and her defense played a big role in turning the tide. Caroline's offense in the 3rd quarter went a long way in winning the game but few will probably recognize that.

Reaction Score
Christyn was a little gimpy after her spectacular crossover layup, so Chris Dailey took her out. Subsequently, after Caroline was smacked in the head, Christyn came back in.
Yes, that's what happened. Still, good to see only Olivia and Nika played 30-some minutes. Everyone else in the 20's. Nice spread of minutes.

Reaction Score
CD has been, is, and always will be a class act. I imagine that if she so desired, she might have moved on to any number of HC opportunities that have materialized over the last 20 years or so.
The fact that Chris has remained with UCONN underscores the commitment and dedication she has for the school, the WBB program, and most importantly, the literally HUNDREDS of young women who have had the benefit of her mentoring. I don't recall ever hearing a negative comment regarding CD from any of her former or current players.
When Geno had to miss the first two NCAA Tourney games last year, it seemed like the only concern expressed for the continuity and guidance that might be missing in his absence came from the various pundits, wise guys and gals, and commentators. To the best of my knowledge, none of the coaches rubbed their hands together and said "Oh, goody! Geno's not there, we can take advantage of Chris Dailey's inexperience!"
Everybody in the program just took it in stride. Their respect and trust in CD spoke volumes.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
CD has been, is, and always will be a class act. I imagine that if she so desired, she might have moved on to any number of HC opportunities that have materialized over the last 20 years or so.
The fact that Chris has remained with UCONN underscores the commitment and dedication she has for the school, the WBB program, and most importantly, the literally HUNDREDS of young women who have had the benefit of her mentoring. I don't recall ever hearing a negative comment regarding CD from any of her former or current players.
When Geno had to miss the first two NCAA Tourney games last year, it seemed like the only concern expressed for the continuity and guidance that might be missing in his absence came from the various pundits, wise guys and gals, and commentators. To the best of my knowledge, none of the coaches rubbed their hands together and said "Oh, goody! Geno's not there, we can take advantage of Chris Dailey's inexperience!"
Everybody in the program just took it in stride. Their respect and trust in CD spoke volumes.
CD is the epitome of self-confidence and awareness, in what she has is exactly what she wants. For some folks, they don't want or need the top dog positions and their skillset is perfect for that 1A position. Geno has said many times that "this whole thing" wouldn't have worked or had the level of success if he hadn't convinced her to come work with him when he took the job.

Reaction Score
Yes, imagine if Geno knew that maybe he would be a great coach.
Not a jab at Geno, at all - just an observation. This team in particular seems to have "tuned Geno out" when he starts ranting at them when he takes them out of the game for some reason or another. They just walk by him, head down, to the end of the bench while the other coaches try to "make nice". In years past, the players got mad and immediately responded and turned their play around. Some of today's players might need that other tact to get it going. All this coming from a huge Geno fan. Mrs. Gigio, however, who knows very little about basketball, but a lot about women, has pointed this out to me on numerous occasions this season.

Reaction Score
Yes, imagine if Geno knew that maybe he would be a great coach.
He is a great coach! You must be a new fan? Welcome to the board. There’s lots of information out there about Geno (and Chris, his partner in crime) They took over this program 37? Years ago and have 11 titles and countless records since then. He’s won numerous Coach of the Year awards. I won’t go into detail but I suggest you do a little research. You’ll find it a good read, I’m sure. Don’t worry about this, not everyone on this board expects newbies to know what they’re talking about right off the bat.

Reaction Score

I seems like a century ago, oh it was. When Geno regularly got Tossed from some games. CD, said she hated it, but he coached. I don't believe she ever lost a game. Some say she learned from Geno. I prefer to think CD is a great coach in her own right. For years CD was the coach of the "BIG" Women and Uconn had some of the best. She too is Mother Christine and holder of the moral and dress and public speaking codes. One thing most don't realize, CD has responded to all us old old fans that contacted her and sent out birthday (past 80's) greeting. No, we old fans have never taken Christine Dailey for granted she is too special for us to ever forget.

Reaction Score
One additional aspect of Chris Dailey that I really appreciate is her poise and intelligence during postgame pressers. For someone who doesn’t do it often, she handles the press with great professionalism, and her answers to questions are always “spot on.”

While Geno’s pressers are typically colorful and entertaining, I wouldn’t mind hearing from Chris Dailey every now and then. Maybe Geno can send her out to meet with the press once a month or so. :)
"This isn't about us, Geno, it is about these young ladies (not exact). CD to the SNY spokes person. That was professional, personal, and just great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom