Do we miss Calhoun's quick hook? | The Boneyard

Do we miss Calhoun's quick hook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Think JC lets the deficit balloon to 24? It took KO an entire half to figure out that TO was the best option.

These are some of the growing pains that we will go through with Ollie. He had a bad night figuring out match ups especially on the defensive end. Hopefully, he is a fast learner.

Reaction Score
I think so. There's no way JC would've let some of our players get away w/ the crap they've been doing. The first forced jumper or botched fast break would've had them on the bench w/ an earful in a heartbeat. KO doesn't do that; he lets them play through and through 13 games you still see the same mistakes. That's not all KOs fault but how often can you see the same mistake?

Reaction Score
For those who hated seeing him at half court ripping a player apart going into a TO let me know how you feel now. Love KO and his philosophy is real good…….but he needs to put the fear of God into everyone a little too. Not enough people being run in and out during the first half. Not fair to compare him to JC but I agree that lead wouldn't have been like that………but JC also had tougher kids most of the time and for now that's not on KO……

But he sure better quite looking at guards and swing men while recruiting and step up the heat on BIGS………and not skinny one's!

Reaction Score
AB, Nolan and Calhoun got the quick hook, Calhoun got a second chance and got the quick hook again. AB and Nolan were gone for the game. JC had a quick hook and usually gave his players a second or third chance. Not sure KO's mindset is yet. AB and Nolan were banished for the game. JC usually gave his players a second chance.

Reaction Score
KO did shatter a clipboard during one of the first half time outs. So he's got a little JC in there.

Reaction Score
No.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. KO does need to do a better job getting guys to learn from their mistakes and to get them to right the ship more quickly. But yelling and embarrassing players is not the only way to do it, especially for the seemingly-sensitive guys we have on our roster.

I love that Ollie is a "player's coach", and I think with coaching experience he'll figure out how to push the right buttons with the appropriate degree of urgency.

Reaction Score
For those who hated seeing him at half court ripping a player apart going into a TO let me know how you feel now.
I feel the same.
It's a game. Winning is great, but not to the point of dehumanizing young men.
There's never a reason to run out to half court, scream in a kid's face, humiliate him, and yank his arm, which I saw JC do more than once.
That sort of behavior is best left in the past.

Many, many coaches have won big without having to be Bobby Knight impersonators, and KO will find his way, and it won't involve such unpleasant, archaic behavior.

Or maybe we should hire that guy from Rutgers? I hear he still is looking for work.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
KO did shatter a clipboard during one of the first half time outs. So he's got a little JC in there.

When did the shattering of the clipboard happen? I recorded the game and would find some amusement in watching the replay if it was caught on camera. :D

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think Ollie is too passive at times and he keeps timeouts in his pocket while the ship takes on water - but that's subjective.

We're paying the price for the recruiting failures in JC's last years.

It's remarkable that we don't have a competent interior player, but that's how it is. Facey seems to be miles and miles away which is a little concerning given that he's 20 years old, not 18. Brimah is a pure project and Nolan is limited. Olander is the best option...and he's really an middle-of-the-MAAC talent.

It doesn't appear that help is on the way - the kid from Georgia is another big reach.

Reaction Score
The shattering of the clipboard was mentioned in Amore's write up, I don't think it was on camera.

Reaction Score
After all the negative comments about the AAC in the MB, Football and CR forums, to have that be our first performance in the AAC in Men's Basketball is almost beyond description. A complete belly flop might do it. How can our team start games looking completely dis-interested. You don't get these games back guys, don't waste them. This isn't just on the players, it's on the Coaching staff as well. 2013 is dead, it's time to start the recovery of both MB and FB, it starts Saturday in Dallas.

C

Chief00

I think Ollie is too passive at times and he keeps timeouts in his pocket while the ship takes on water - but that's subjective.

We're paying the price for the recruiting failures in JC's last years.

It's remarkable that we don't have a competent interior player, but that's how it is. Facey seems to be miles and miles away which is a little concerning given that he's 20 years old, not 18. Brimah is a pure project and Nolan is limited. Olander is the best option...and he's really an middle-of-the-MAAC talent.

It doesn't appear that help is on the way - the kid from Georgia is another big reach.
I agree we need a good, strong and talented big. At least, someone who can rebound and defend.

Reaction Score
The shattering of the clipboard was on the radio broadcast. But the lack of F-bombs echoing in the arena and saliva flying three rows behind the bench says he does not have the JC midas touch......Yet....
Do some here now think KO only has seven toes in?

Reaction Score
I would say most of all we miss having at least one strong skilled muscular coordinated post player on the roster who can be useful on the court.

Reaction Score

Love KO as a coach, but people need to remember he's still relatively inexperienced as a coach, and his instincts will certainly improve with time. Agree that he was left with a bare cupboard in the middle of the court.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

It's remarkable that we don't have a competent interior player, but that's how it is. Facey seems to be miles and miles away which is a little concerning given that he's 20 years old, not 18.

Of course he ends up being one of those physical, middle aged bigs that Pitt used to chug out, that might not be so bad.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Love KO as a coach, but people need to remember he's still relatively inexperienced as a coach, and his instincts will certainly improve with time. Agree that he was left with a bare cupboard in the middle of the court.
Yeah, but I think Wolf would have been very helpful this year. His size and his five fouls would have helped the other bigs by giving Ollie an option to pull and then teach them.

I don't know that it is fair to blame Calhoun for Roscoe leaving (although I get that you can make that argument.) Things would be dramatically improvee with Roscoe on the court.

Reaction Score
I can't believe that no one else noticed this, but at one point during play (when we were on offense), Ollie stormed out a good ways onto the court, grabbed Kromah, and gave him a good hard shove toward the basket. I've never seen anything quite like it, and it was surprisingly awesome.

If anyone can link a video of it, I think that it would go a long way toward disproving the popular boneyard rumor that Ollie wasn't invested/was sitting on his hands for the entirety of the game.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I thought about this when I was hoping DD would get yanked from the game after many a poor play, but then I realized there really weren't any other options. Nolan was ill, Giffey was already in the game, Brimah would be a downgrade. All that would've left is Leon Tolksdorf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom