Do we know who is the starting QB this week? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Do we know who is the starting QB this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I disagree 1000%. Vann show leadership and fire. On offense I don't think anyone stands out as a leader.

I saw that pass against Army. When everything was on the line. When the team needed leadership and poise. And that's after three years with close to 20 starts. And you still take that over the other QBs. I would take Foxx ahead of that.

Its fine to disagree - the is the way of the 'Yard...
That play the leadership lacking in my opinion was from the sideline - FWIW.

And it was his leadership to get us to that point - he did make a horrible throw -

Reaction Score
I disagree 1000%. Vann show leadership and fire. On offense I don't think anyone stands out as a leader.

I saw that pass against Army. When everything was on the line. When the team needed leadership and poise. And that's after three years with close to 20 starts. And you still take that over the other QBs. I would take Foxx ahead of that.

So by leader you mean someone who doesn't make mistakes. Got it.

I posit that had Foxx played the last two drives we lose by two touchdowns also, but because the first one doesn't get scored.

Reaction Score

Foxx, failed miserably behind center in the 4th Qtr vs Army. Then on top of it, HCBD called on Chandler multiple times to bail out the Huskies on multiple 3rd and longs (BTW - a set-up to fail situation). Ok, so he threw an INT to end the game. Because thats has never happened before. Without Chandlers "poise and fire", Uconn never has the opportunity to even tie/win that game.

Reaction Score
Takes a certain kind of crazy to bang the drum about on field performance when it's a player with 11 interceptions and no touchdowns you are pushing for....

What's the worst that can happen, he throws another 11 picks in the final three games? Boyle deserves to be given the same room for error Whitmer has gotten, especially in games that are rendered meaningless right now anyway. It's the only way he's even going to prove his worth or earn his keep if he's supposedly "the future".

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Takes a certain kind of crazy to bang the drum about on field performance when it's a player with 11 interceptions and no touchdowns you are pushing for....

I'm so tired of this line. Boyle started 4 games - 2 to ranked teams, 1 to a Cincy defense that was very very good, and USF. What's Whitmer's best win of his career? @Maryland with McCombs career high total and a Nick Williams punt return for a TD? Against a 17th string QB? Maybe UCF this year, but they're not exactly world beaters.

Whitmer is 25TD's against 28 picks. Let's not pretend he's Unitas. He's a poor man's Cole Stoudt.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Wouldn't surprise me to see Andreas knappe take some snaps
Well at least he'd be able to see over the line.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What's the worst that can happen, he throws another 11 picks in the final three games? Boyle deserves to be given the same room for error Whitmer has gotten, especially in games that are rendered meaningless right now anyway. It's the only way he's even going to prove his worth or earn his keep if he's supposedly "the future".

I didn't say don't play him. Just pointing out the absurity of Palatine's reasoning.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm so tired of this line. Boyle started 4 games - 2 to ranked teams, 1 to a Cincy defense that was very very good, and USF. What's Whitmer's best win of his career? @Maryland with McCombs career high total and a Nick Williams punt return for a TD? Against a 17th string QB? Maybe UCF this year, but they're not exactly world beaters.

Whitmer is 25TD's against 28 picks. Let's not pretend he's Unitas. He's a poor man's Cole Stoudt.

You don't think pointing out game performance to someone railing about game versus practice performance is fair? Um ok.

Reaction Score

I think everyone is on board with playing Boyle now. But it's lunacy to scream about how in-game production should matter when Boyle's in-game numbers are brutal.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Some of us are as cooky as the coach seems at times...
I say that with love and care.

Reaction Score
I think everyone is on board with playing Boyle now. But it's lunacy to scream about how in-game production should matter when Boyle's in-game numbers are brutal.

I agree with you Jimmy. I would like to see Boyle in for an extended period but I'd prefer to see us win for a change, not just try to stay close. The Bearcats can put points on the board so as Carl says we should be mindful of keeping their offense off the field too.

Reaction Score

I'm not on board with that.

I cannot come up with a rationalization or explanation that I want to believe for what we have been doing all season long with the QB position, going all the way back to August and that public announcement Diaco made with Cochran and Whitmer. That doesn't mean there isn't an explanation. The only explanation I can come up with, is that this entire 2014 season has been essentially a long scrimmage/practice session for the offense and we aren't really installing a specific offense conceptually until next season. I don't like that explanation, it makes me mad, and therefore I choose to ignore as much as I can, and not accept that explanation.

If at this point, now that we've pissed away enough wins to fail to get to a bowl game for yet another year, Diaco fundamentally changes the way he's built this 2014 program to play the game on offense, it will make me cause my ass explode in a ball of fire. The guy you see running around the concourse at Rentschler with his ass on fire on Saturday night will be me.

Right or wrong, good or bad, short term or long term - Diaco chose a program/offensive system for this 2014 team. Short term, the results have been bad in contributing to wins. Long term? TBD. I have no idea WTF his offensive concepts are, and how he wants to approach the game offensively to win games. What he's done makes no sense to me to develop any consistency, discipline and reliability on offense. Through 9 games, I don't think I'm off-base I my analysis. Come next season, 18 games? We'll see.

For now - it's 1 game ahead- the first game we've got where season goals are significantly altered. If he changes something now, all it does is make everything he did prior - even more insane.

I fully expect to see Whitmer starting, and get the majority of game reps.....Boyle to come in at some point 2nd or 3rd Quarter - and get his own possession to do something - and he'll stay on the field as long as he keeps that single possession alive, and that Boyle experiement will involve play calling that are completely unrelated to actually flow of the game, and that Foxx will get some direct snaps through the course of the game, and that he will probably let one fly this game, because Army pretty much demonstrated how to defend everything else that Foxx does on film.

that's what we've developed on offense all season long. Why? I have no f----king idea why you would want to do this - but it's what we've done. To change it now? Why the duck did you do it in the first place? Too much to wrap my head around, rather light my ass on fire.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You don't think pointing out game performance to someone railing about game versus practice performance is fair? Um ok.

I don't think pointing out game performance against better teams is as simple as you make it sound, given the opponent. I also think, in general, that this team overall is better than last years, QB performance not withstanding. CW hasn't performed well with a better team against inferior opponents. In short, you're not talking apples against apples.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I don't think pointing out game performance against better teams is as simple as you make it sound, given the opponent. I also think, in general, that this team overall is better than last years, QB performance not withstanding. CW hasn't performed well with a better team against inferior opponents. In short, you're not talking apples against apples.
So can I deduct you are in the camp that CC only looked really good last year due to lesser competition than the other QB 's faced?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

There are people comparing a UConn QB's to Unitas, but CW isn't one of them. CW has cut down on his INT's this season. If you want to ding him for throwing one when the team is down two TD's in the second half, go ahead. But, I don't think it's entirely fair to pin it all on him. Maybe if we could run the ball at all, we wouldn't be forced to rely on a less than accurate QB inside the 10 yard line. No need to discuss the guy who is rolling 0 TDs and 11 int's in his career.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, the receivers on the team liked the athletic QB who left the team prior to the season - as one said at least he could buy some time.
Whitmer has never had the support of his teammates - some don't like his bow tie attitude - at any rate - he doesn't get it done.

Reaction Score

There are people comparing a UConn QB's to Unitas, but CW isn't one of them. CW has cut down on his INT's this season. If you want to ding him for throwing one when the team is down two TD's in the second half, go ahead. But, I don't think it's entirely fair to pin it all on him. Maybe if we could run the ball at all, we wouldn't be forced to rely on a less than accurate QB inside the 10 yard line. No need to discuss the guy who is rolling 0 TDs and 11 int's in his career.

I think we can run the ball. We didn't even try when it mattered against Army. The first half, why we are trying to throw passes against Army's defense I don't know. We get a gift of a possession, in the first half and immediately throw a deep ball that's picked off. One play. A couple seconds off the clock, on a gift of a possession. Who is calling our plays by the way? Get him off of Madden. The biggest difference in coaching that came last season - was when Shane Day started calling offensive plays. second half against army, down 21-7, the offense puts together a possession of multiple - I think 8 or 9 consecutive runs, to pounded the ball down the field on the ground, and then threw a play action pass over the middle to the TE, for a TD on 4th down, after trying to pass it to Foxx incomplete on bubble screens and other things - that Army actually studied film on. 21-14. The defense gets Army to a 3 and out on the ensuing possession. 21-14 - our offense has the ball.

Do we stay with run? Is there any offensive consistency in this program? Hell no. 3 consecutive passes, and a punt. Give the ball right back to their offense.

Simple rule of offensive play calling - keep calling the same plays - until the defense stops them.

This painful aspect of this 2014 program has been overlooked so far this season. The Army game was an exposition of our flaws.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Army of the 230 lb DL is the only team we've show any ability to run the ball against consistently. Given the lack of possession and time left on the clock, running in the second half seemed counterproductive until we were down at the end zone with over a minute left and timeout.

Reaction Score
I think the one thing that this discussion crystallizes is how much in the dark we are about the rationale or correlation between the QB rotation and any long or short term plan the staff wants to implement. The staff has either intentionally or through lack of a plan failed to convey that rationale and the reporters have failed to get a coherent answer from HCBD.

I could only see 2 sensible reasons to keep your upside QB of the future on the bench if you are building for the future. One is that the line is so poor you don't want to damage him any further physically or mentally and that would be a legit concern for me. Two is that CW, while having his share of limitations, has the experience to maybe pull out some close games and keep us in Bowl contention in the short-term. So you might let it play out with him as the starter until the opportunity is lost. That in no way explains the series-and-pull routine which has disrupted the offense and not given TB a fair shot to acclimate to anything.

Both of those situations are out the window now so we should be expecting some tough questions by the end of the week. Right?

Reaction Score
I think the one thing that this discussion crystallizes is how much in the dark we are about the rationale or correlation between the QB rotation and any long or short term plan the staff wants to implement. The staff has either intentionally or through lack of a plan failed to convey that rationale and the reporters have failed to get a coherent answer from HCBD.

I could only see 2 sensible reasons to keep your upside QB of the future on the bench if you are building for the future. One is that the line is so poor you don't want to damage him any further physically or mentally and that would be a legit concern for me. Two is that CW, while having his share of limitations, has the experience to maybe pull out some close games and keep us in Bowl contention in the short-term. So you might let it play out with him as the starter until the opportunity is lost. That in no way explains the series-and-pull routine which has disrupted the offense and not given TB a fair shot to acclimate to anything.

Both of those situations are out the window now so we should be expecting some tough questions by the end of the week. Right?

Wouldn't surprise me if Whitmer is casually named the starter, and the press won't have anything to say about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom