Do we have a "best" player? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Do we have a "best" player?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Even teams with a bunch of very good players need team leaders. Down the stretch of a big game, which player do you want handling the ball?

At this point, in this season, I'd probably want it to be Sanogo.
It's funny how opinions differ. I don't trust Sanogo in the big spot yet. Last year when they got the ball to him, I can't remember when he came through. Maybe it was because he was worn down late. I think matchups will determine who gets the ball late in the big spot this year.

Reaction Score
Even teams with a bunch of very good players need team leaders. Down the stretch of a big game, which player do you want handling the ball?

At this point, in this season, I'd probably want it to be Sanogo. Not that others aren't capable of hitting a big shot in a big moment or carrying the team in crunch time, just that Sanogo's got the skills and the experience. I give the nod to him as the leader and overall best player. But as people have said here, it's nice to have many options.
Jackson is the team leader, Hurley says he's the best leader he's ever been around.

Reaction Score
Jackson is the team leader, Hurley says he's the best leader he's ever been around.
This could be a big part of the success. Lots of players on the team have hyped it. It’s like playing with Superman.

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
Jesus

RAPM after this weekend has Andre Jackson 4th in the country, Clingan 6th, and Sanogo 10th. No other school has 2 players in the top 20, but we have three in the top 10.
Can someone share a link where we can see these numbers for RAPM?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
PT aside, the jury is still tentative in judging Clingan, because he hasn't faced much real competition yet. As we step into the league schedule which will see us facing a strong team 2 games out of every three, he will have the opportunity to prove his mettle. Creighton will likely be his litmus test.

Meanwhile, Adama is our top guy, but if Hawkins trajectory continues in the direction he appears headed, he might just pass Adama by tourney time.
As Clingan himself has said on more than one occasion, he has been facing a great big man every day since he stepped foot on campus...........................Adama Sanogo in practice and so he said he is therefore not intimidated by anyone.

Reaction Score
It's funny how opinions differ. I don't trust Sanogo in the big spot yet. Last year when they got the ball to him, I can't remember when he came through. Maybe it was because he was worn down late. I think matchups will determine who gets the ball late in the big spot this year.
I think his issue last year was that he forced it no matter what which killed his overall efficiency, this year he is clearly taking what the defense gives him. I have always said that Sanogo taking good shots is our best shot and the key for him is to step back when he doesnt have it or when he is double covered

Reaction Score
PT aside, the jury is still tentative in judging Clingan, because he hasn't faced much real competition yet. As we step into the league schedule which will see us facing a strong team 2 games out of every three, he will have the opportunity to prove his mettle. Creighton will likely be his litmus test.

Meanwhile, Adama is our top guy, but if Hawkins trajectory continues in the direction he appears headed, he might just pass Adama by tourney time.
This isn't true. He's faced N'Faly Dante, Kel'el Ware, Charles Bediako, Osun Osunniyi, Moussa Cisse, and Colin Castleton.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Not sure what this is based on, but it has Sanogo as our 6th best player. I don’t know what data to believe. Lol

I’m personally going with Jackson just based on what we’ve seen so far. But it’s hard to find a “right” answer with this team.

Reaction Score
By this metric, any of our top 6 players would be the best player on all but 4 of the top 40 teams.
This metric should not be used that way. It's a team metric being applied to individuals. Have to adjust it for teammates (like RAPM does) and usage for it to be useful as an individual metric.

What this stat says is that our team is really, really good.

Reaction Score
Not sure what this is based on, but it has Sanogo as our 6th best player. I don’t know what data to believe. Lol

I’m personally going with Jackson just based on what we’ve seen so far. But it’s hard to find a “right” answer with this team.
It's just a basic plus/minus ranking so not all that useful. Just interesting to look at and it basically just says we're a really good team more than any individual analysis on players

Reaction Score
He was worn down and they swarmed him bc we had no consistent outside threat.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think Sanogo and Clingan are a lot closer than most on the board seem to think. I give Sanogo the edge because he's much more versatile at scoring the ball than Clingan is at this stage and he's more versatile on defense because of his ability to get out on people out to the three point line and a much better ft shooter but Clingan is simply more dominant down low on both offense and defense than Sanogo is. He's also a better rebounder, passer, and shotblocker than Sanogo is.

As for best player I would go with Adama and would break it down like this. Jackson is the most important player to this team, Sanogo the most consistent all around/best offensive moves, Hawkins the most explosive/best scorer, Clingan the most impactful/dominant.
I mostly agree with this, but the point I tried to make in the other thread, is that Clingan gets to come in and face either (a) defenders who have been worn down handling Sanogo and who may have foul issues or (b) backups to the guys in (a). So Clingan's stats (dominance) are inflated by that. He's been awesome, but I don't think he'd have those numbers if he started games and we didn't have Sanogo. Clingan facing backup 5s is just criminally unfair. I think we will see that Sanogo will be helped come March as well, he was worn down last year by the high usage rate.

Reaction Score
I think the important point here is that even though Sanogo may be the best player, we don't need to depend on him being the best player every night like last year.

Reaction Score
Was discussing this with a friend of mine (also a huge fan/total UConn hoops nutcase) and we concluded that we do not have one. That is the best part about this team. On any given night someone can go off, or any two/three players can go off, or any one or two players can be in foul trouble, or have an off night. Talk about having Ferraris in the garage! IMO we have 4 contenders for "best" player, but there cannot be just one. Thoughts?
Same as 1969-70 Knicks. Too early yet. But see similarities in their success and UCONN…..had very good players..very good, but not super super stars like Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, Lew Alcindor Kareem ,Big O or Monroe. But Holzman had them playing ball movement and hit the open man team ball philosophy. Audacious for me to even compare to this Knicks team, but looking at UCONN it’s ball move,ent, hit the open man because like said anyone can be the man on a given night. We’ll see

Attachments

• 825C45C6-E12F-44E0-8A38-926F35B54A65.jpeg
    825C45C6-E12F-44E0-8A38-926F35B54A65.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 57

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member