Do we add another QB? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Do we add another QB?

Reaction Score
To answer the original question: yes, we need a really good QB. Either develop one of our own or find one in the portal but please we need really good QB play. No team excels without a really good one.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
To answer the original question: yes, we need a really good QB. Either develop one of our own or find one in the portal but please we need really good QB play. No team excels without a really good one.
um…that wasnt the original question.

Reaction Score
um…that wasnt the original question.
The post asks do we add another QB. My point was that yes we need to add a really good one as I don't see one on the roster that will excel this season. Will we add a really good one through the portal? Likely not. I think we're stuck with mediocrity.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
The post asks do we add another QB. My point was that yes we need to add a really good one as I don't see one on the roster that will excel this season. Will we add a really good one through the portal? Likely not. I think we're stuck with mediocrity.
the question was do we add a qb for depth. not….do we need to find a portal qb because we don’t have a good qb on the roster.

how..in january are you so sure the qb room is mediocre. if the only qbs were Roberson or Fagnano…its a fair comment. With McDonald having a year in the system…and a highly ranked recruit like Welliver on campus there should be improvement. Plus you have to think roberson and Fagnano will be better this year.

Reaction Score
I was addressing the post's headline... anyway, yes, I feel our QB room is mediocre at best and needs major improvement. Being realistic, unfortunately I haven't seen anything from the room that indicates there is a guy that can make plays with both his arm and feet at a level high enough for us to feel good about that position. Further, with a lack of playmaking receivers, it makes it that much harder for anyone at that position to make things work at a high level... Thinking back to the FBS team's QBs that we faced off against last season, were there any that would have traded for ours?... I hope McDonald makes a big jump and Welliver surprises the heck out of everyone, but I don't see it for at least this season. Hoping we can spend an NIL bag on a QB after the spring season shakeout around the country.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was addressing the post's headline... anyway, yes, I feel our QB room is mediocre at best and needs major improvement. Being realistic, unfortunately I haven't seen anything from the room that indicates there is a guy that can make plays with both his arm and feet at a level high enough for us to feel good about that position. Further, with a lack of playmaking receivers, it makes it that much harder for anyone at that position to make things work at a high level... Thinking back to the FBS team's QBs that we faced off against last season, were there any that would have traded for ours?... I hope McDonald makes a big jump and Welliver surprises the heck out of everyone, but I don't see it for at least this season. Hoping we can spend an NIL bag on a QB after the spring season shakeout around the country.
So we suck and will always suck? C’mon, it’s January, hope springs eternally

Reaction Score
So we suck and will always suck? C’mon, it’s January, hope springs eternally
Okay, you didn't use the word suck
Those are your words, not mine.

Reaction Score
Okay, you didn't use the word suck
I don’t see why Cole wouldn’t be an FBS level QB? I think there’s a very good chance he starts.

Having McDonald and the new PWO as back ups isn’t bad either.

I’m personally over Roberson but he’s there too.

Reaction Score
You need five QB on a college team. You need four just to run a proper practice. When we played Michigan they had 8.

Reaction Score
You need five QB on a college team. You need four just to run a proper practice. When we played Michigan they had 8.
We have
Roberson
Fagnano
McDonald
Welliver
Caleb

Am I missing someone?

So we could use one more(scholarship), yes?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have been losing a starting QB to injury every year under Mora.
The previous regimes crippled our QB's. Poor Whitmer, shireffs, cochran, pindell. Those guys skeletons have been obliterated.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Every game the opposing QB is better than ours. Even against FCS. So, yeah, we should add and maybe catch lightning in a bottle. And if a current frosh is the best option, he best play ASAP.

Reaction Score
How do folks feel about new PWO Jake Triptree? Not much of an analyst, so of course his highlight films looked good to me. Wonder what kind of footspeed he has. 40 time?

Reaction Score
He really looked out of place. Fine for FCS but not for higher level play.
So did Roberson in his first few starts. I have no idea how good (or bad he is). Amazing you could tell his entire future based on a game and a half even though he won the starting job in training camp.

Reaction Score
Overall I like that we are bringing in more walk-ons especially QBs.More walk-ons we bring in higher chance of someone developing into a productive player!

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I was hoping to see the QB from Jonathan Law get a crack (he had a great senior year at Law in 22/23).

Reaction Score
How do folks feel about new PWO Jake Triptree? Not much of an analyst, so of course his highlight films looked good to me. Wonder what kind of footspeed he has. 40 time?
I like him. He played in a "mid-size" division on L.I. I have no real in depth scouting analysis on the young man, but just a sense of an enthusiastic QB who wants to observe, learn, work hard in body and mind and be in the mix to contribute On the field. We shall see, if he can maintain his faith in that Daily Grind..., I believe he'll earn his scholarship and contribute to UConn football.

Reaction Score
the question was do we add a qb for depth. not….do we need to find a portal qb because we don’t have a good qb on the roster.

how..in january are you so sure the qb room is mediocre. if the only qbs were Roberson or Fagnano…its a fair comment. With McDonald having a year in the system…and a highly ranked recruit like Welliver on campus there should be improvement. Plus you have to think roberson and Fagnano will be better this year.
We always seem to assume everybody is going to be better next year. I wish that were always true. I'm not assuming but I hope McDonald can make strides and show some of his skills this year or next.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
We always seem to assume everybody is going to be better next year. I wish that were always true. I'm not assuming but I hope McDonald can make strides and show some of his skills this year or next.
it feels like a fair assumption. 20yo kids mature physically and mentally. And you would think since the OC is the same, more time in an offensive system is a good thing.

I don’t think expecting a quarterback to develop and get better over time is a reach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom