Do The Local Sports Writers Agree With Brenda Frese About The UConn Game? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Do The Local Sports Writers Agree With Brenda Frese About The UConn Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
First of all, Happy Holidays...Not saying Brown wasn't a good player, just that she was in no way a clear MVP. If you want to pick her, that's fine, but I agree with the notion that Maryland didn't have a single such player last season. They were remarkably balanced. Four players averaged between 12.4 and 13.5 ppg. If you want to selectively pick stats, SWK took fewer shots than Brown and made almost 40 more FGs. For whatever reason, USA basketball preferred Jones and SWK. Watching this season, I think Mincy has been harder to replace than Brown. Mincy took many of the big shots last season. There were multiple times last season in which Moseley came off the bench to relieve a struggling Brown- games that come to mind include at Minnesota, at Northwestern, vs. Duke in NCAAs and vs. Conn in NCAAs.

The bigger point is that I know both teams quite well and I heavily favor the Huskies. The match-ups are pretty much all in their favor.
Happy Holidays to you as well. My big point is that were Lexie still in a MD uniform she would be your best player-as she was last year. For MD fans to say you will not miss your best player is at best a mind trick intended to make the most of a bad situation and at worst whistling past the grave yard.

Reaction Score
Certainly any team would likely miss a good player. I disagree with the premise that she was or would be the best player, but certainly you are entitled to your opinion.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Certainly any team would likely miss a good player. I disagree with the premise that she was or would be the best player, but certainly you are entitled to your opinion.

At the MD Awards Banquet last year:
"Sophomore Lexie Brown was awarded the Playmaker Award. She helped lead the Big Ten’s top offense that averaged 78.6 points per game and led the team in assists with 163 and steals with 80, while averaging 13.3 points per game."
http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210026191

Reaction Score
Happy Holidays to you as well. My big point is that were Lexie still in a MD uniform she would be your best player-as she was last year. For MD fans to say you will not miss your best player is at best a mind trick intended to make the most of a bad situation and at worst whistling past the grave yard.
But the point is that Lexie "is not" in a Maryland uniform. Brene Moseley is playing excellent PG with a 3-1 assist to turnover ratio. We may have played a poor schedule (most Maryland fans were not happy about this) but the point remain that they have played very well regardless. Of the 13 stats on ESPN, Maryland is in the top 10 in nine of them. (Including #1 in opponent PG %, rebounding and scoring)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I did what Brenda may be doing -- I watched a replay of last season's Final Four UConn vs, MD. And what I saw was Morgan Tuck drop 24 points (including two triples) on the Terps. Of course she had teammates who abetted the carnage but she was simply devastating.

Amazingly, Kaleena shot 1-18 (one lone trey + a FT). Gabby made only a cameo appearance; Pheese and Lou watched on TV screens in their homes in MO and CA respectively.

Smart money on UConn in the Gahden on Monday. ;)

Reaction Score
Apropos of the up-coming Maryland game, I went back and watched last year's final four game v. UConn. I thought that since the Terps hadn't played anyone much this year, it might be best to revisit what is substantially the same core as last year. Before the game last year, Brenda said that the Huskies get too much respect. What she meant was that teams lock up once they see the UConn name on the players' jerseys. She gave one of her pep talks in which she assured her team that if they did this, that, and the other thing, the Huskies couldn't deny them. Well, the Terps may have lacked fear and tried a whole bunch of stuff during the game but still lost by 23 points. This year's version is pretty much the same: a couple of big inside players and their guards. Maryland is built around the guards. The novelty to their game is that they don't exclusively either pass the ball inside or shoot from the perimeter. They are one of the few teams that favors mid-range shots. Last year, Geno defended them man on man, only switching to a zone at the end. Tuck was the star of the game along with Stewart and Jeffeson; Morgan could not be stopped inside. (Kaleena made one three and one free throw and was no factor.) I expect this year's game to follow last. UConn led by 11 at the half, by 13 at the 10-minute mark of the second period, and then extended to 23. The difference between the teams boiled down to talent. Maryland has some; the Huskies have more.
I watched the Final 4 MD game 2 hr's ago and am currently rewatching, while boneyarding. MD held it's own with a close game for 12 minutes--and again in the second half. Stewie was amazing -- I forgot just how great a rebounder she really is.
Brenda has every right and duty to be the loudest cheerleader for MD. If their coach does not believe in them--should they?
Morgan was amazing as well--only one I was a bit disappointed in was Gabby. She was given shot at playing in the final 4 and quickly threw a pass into the stands--quick pull by Geno. Apparently the big stage was a bit too much for her last year. Uconn's win was never in doubt--to uconn fans--but the MD players, to their credit, never folded--even with 30 seconds left they were still playing big time D.

Reaction Score
I did what Brenda may be doing -- I watched a replay of last season's Final Four UConn vs, MD. And what I saw was Morgan Tuck drop 24 points (including two triples) on the Terps. Of course she had teammates who abetted the carnage but she was simply devastating.

Amazingly, Kaleena shot 1-18 (one lone trey + a FT). Gabby made only a cameo appearance; Pheese and Lou watched on TV screens in their homes in MO and CA respectively.

KML had a finger of hand in her eye and never recovered from the eye scratch. So her shot was off. Gabby threw a pass to Tuck and it went into the stands--Geno yanked her. KLS was sinking three after three in her drive way With the 70 degree weather, then!!

Reaction Score

KML had a finger of hand in her eye and never recovered from the eye scratch. So her shot was off. Gabby threw a pass to Tuck and it went into the stands--Geno yanked her. KLS was sinking three after three in her drive way With the 70 degree weather, then!!
I agree with your post. I'll add a couple of things. Even though it won't make much difference but the one advantage Maryland have over UConn is their depth. They have had 8 player who have started this season and Moseley isn't one of them. Maryland can go 11 deep and can play any style of basketball. Pfirman should play Monday. She has a hammy but should be OK after the rest the past two weeks. I expect her to guard KLS most of the game. Kiara Leslie probably will guard Gabby Williams with help from A'lexus Harrison and Gillespie will probably guard Collier. Stewart is the big problem. Maryland have no one to match up with her.
Uconn has 7 that have started this year--one player more in depth ain't that much. I'm going to get clobbered for saying this --but Lawlor shoot the three exceptionally well, and playes ok defense--If Soniya is well and or Butler feels like playing the depth issue goes away. Geno's players can run for 2 hours straight--can MD? Conditioning is Geno's secret weapon--to go along with Jefferson, Tuck, Stewie, Collier, Gabby, Nurse. They are the "not so secret" weapons. RPG Moriah, Recoiless rifle Tuck, Armored tank Stewie, 105 MM
KLS, Ambush Collier (ball magnet)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Jake S: I am extremely excited to (hopefully) be in attendance for this highly-anticipated contest. I've gotta go with UConn. Mark my words, Saniya Chong is a junior guard for UConn who is yet to get things going. I saw her drop 61 in a game in high school (Westchester County represent), and I believe it's only a matter of time before she gets loose and makes her mark on the collegiate scene. With that said, I believe Chong will carry the Huskies to a double-digit victory over the Terps. Looking forward to a great game, though.

Did anybody in Maryland or Connecticut (including Geno and Brenda) pay any attention to this prescient Md. sportwriter's prediction about the outcome of the UConn vs. Maryland game?

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Wow... Jake S pegged it!!! IMO Saniya was our BadAss of the game... She changed the game when she came in in the first half and sunk the devastating 3 with less than a minute to seal the win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom