Do The Local Sports Writers Agree With Brenda Frese About The UConn Game? | The Boneyard

Do The Local Sports Writers Agree With Brenda Frese About The UConn Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As is the custom in many newsrooms around the country, staff writers and contributors that cover Maryland men's and women's basketball gathered recently to share their opinions about Univ. of Maryland athletics. One of the questions was about the upcoming game for the women with UConn at Madison Square Garden.

Now, we already know that coach Frese claims that she knows what to expect ...I'm just wondering if it jibes with the local only-marginally-biased sports writers.

Here's the question and five opinions/predictions.

Q: Maryland women's basketball is ranked sixth in the AP Poll (probably due to being ranked 59th in RPI) and fifth in the USA Today Coaches poll. The Terps will take on top-ranked and three-time defending national champion UConn in Madison Square Garden on Monday night. Both teams are undefeated and Maryland leads the country in scoring and rebounding margin. Who wins and why?

Todd: Seriously? UConn already has wins over three top-10 teams (ND, OSU, and FSU). While MD was beating UMES by 70, UConn beat LSU (albeit an average LSU team) by 40 and Breanna Stewart didn't dress for the game because of an injured ankle. Bottom line, Connecticut wins. They have better players and better coaching.

Bartley: Although my heart wants the Terps to win, I agree with Todd on the outcome. Maryland has scored a lot of points, but you really need to look at who they have played. It is still early, so hopefully the team just gets better and positions themselves well come tournament time.

Brian B: The way that UConn essentially dominates everybody else is almost baffling, and somewhat frustrating. UConn wins, probably easily, but hopefully not. I have no concrete reason as to why other than UConn is simply the better team. What's this? Not asking us for a score? For Shame! 98-72.

Jake S: I am extremely excited to (hopefully) be in attendance for this highly-anticipated contest. I've gotta go with UConn. Mark my words, Saniya Chong is a junior guard for UConn who is yet to get things going. I saw her drop 61 in a game in high school (Westchester County represent), and I believe it's only a matter of time before she gets loose and makes her mark on the collegiate scene. With that said, I believe Chong will carry the Huskies to a double-digit victory over the Terps. Looking forward to a great game, though.

Noah: UConn wins for a few reasons. They have the better players, the better coach and they'll be playing a de facto home game in the Garden. UConn's Moriah Jefferson will be the key to the game. The Huskies have already played and beaten some of the country's best this season. They should win this one by double digits. However, if Stewart isn't at or close to 100 percent, this one could go down to the wire.

[LINK]

I don't write, or know much about, Univ of MD sports, so I should probably just agree with them. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Mark my words, Saniya Chong is a junior guard for UConn who is yet to get things going. I saw her drop 61 in a game in high school,
==>nice to hear those words

Anytime a player drops 61 in a game, they are in a "zone". If you know basketball, you know what being in a zone means. I'd like to see Saniya drop 61 on Baylor or ND next year.......or anybody really. I'd prefer she do it against one of those two, and UConn wins by 35.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Anytime a player drops 61 in a game, they are in a "zone". If you know basketball, you know what being in a zone means. I'd like to see Saniya drop 61 on Baylor or ND next year..or anybody really. I'd prefer she do it against one of those two, and UConn wins by 35.
Right, the kid has talent. I hope she gets healthy quickly, and then starts to show us what she really can do......that would be a great New Year's present!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
One of my daughters is on the staff at U.Md. and she will come to the game with a Terp cap on and sit among 170+ Boneyarders.

Her son (recent U.Md. grad) will also attend but will likely sit with me in the HP area atop Section 105. Since he is spending a year in Spain (Fulbright Scholarship), he is flying from Madrid just to see UConn stomp his alma mater.

My youngest daughter (CheeseDanish on the BY) will likely come to NYC with CTYankee and join 'Yarders at Penn6.

FWIW, my family Terps have no illusions about the likely outcome and they rely on the traditional cheerful hospitality of our gracious Boneyarders. (Please, no Badasses in Section 112.) :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
One of my daughters is on the staff at U.Md. and she will come to the game with a Terp cap on and sit among 170+ Boneyarders.

Her son (recent U.Md. grad) will also attend but will likely sit with me in the HP area atop Section 105. Since he is spending a year in Spain (Fulbright Scholarship), he is flying from Madrid just to see UConn stomp his alma mater.

My youngest daughter (CheeseDanish on the BY) will likely come to NYC with CTYankee and join 'Yarders at Penn6.

FWIW, my family Terps have no illusions about the likely outcome and they rely on the traditional cheerful hospitality of our gracious Boneyarders. (Please, no Badasses in Section 112.) :)

Aw geez, I have a group of tickets right in the middle of Sec. 112. I'm bringing ALL of my badass rowdy friends. I guess I'll have to find another section to sit in.

Just kidding. I've got jury duty Monday here in So. Cal. I wish I could be there with you guys. I'll know you're going to enjoy the game, and have lots of fun rooting and cheering the huskies to victory. I can't be there with you in person, but I'll be there with you in spirit.

Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Apropos of the up-coming Maryland game, I went back and watched last year's final four game v. UConn. I thought that since the Terps hadn't played anyone much this year, it might be best to revisit what is substantially the same core as last year. Before the game last year, Brenda said that the Huskies get too much respect. What she meant was that teams lock up once they see the UConn name on the players' jerseys. She gave one of her pep talks in which she assured her team that if they did this, that, and the other thing, the Huskies couldn't deny them. Well, the Terps may have lacked fear and tried a whole bunch of stuff during the game but still lost by 23 points. This year's version is pretty much the same: a couple of big inside players and their guards. Maryland is built around the guards. The novelty to their game is that they don't exclusively either pass the ball inside or shoot from the perimeter. They are one of the few teams that favors mid-range shots. Last year, Geno defended them man on man, only switching to a zone at the end. Tuck was the star of the game along with Stewart and Jeffeson; Morgan could not be stopped inside. (Kaleena made one three and one free throw and was no factor.) I expect this year's game to follow last. UConn led by 11 at the half, by 13 at the 10-minute mark of the second period, and then extended to 23. The difference between the teams boiled down to talent. Maryland has some; the Huskies have more.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Wait a minute, Kibs; there is an anomaly here. 1) You are going to be in section 112. 2) You want no badasses in section 112. These two statements are mutually contradictory! As Mr. Spock would say, this is not logical.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Wait a minute, Kibs; there is an anomaly here. 1) You are going to be in section 112. 2) You want no badasses in section 112. These two statements are mutually contradictory! As Mr. Spock would say, this is not logical.

I will be safely situated in the HP area atop Section 105, with my grandson, who is a real badass. ;)

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

One of my wife's parishioners has a son who is on the Maryland football staff. It was a blessed day when the Terps fired Edsall so I no longer felt the urge to root for Maryland's football team to get blasted every game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Apropos of the up-coming Maryland game, I went back and watched last year's final four game v. UConn. I thought that since the Terps hadn't played anyone much this year, it might be best to revisit what is substantially the same core as last year. Before the game last year, Brenda said that the Huskies get too much respect. What she meant was that teams lock up once they see the UConn name on the players' jerseys. She gave one of her pep talks in which she assured her team that if they did this, that, and the other thing, the Huskies couldn't deny them. Well, the Terps may have lacked fear and tried a whole bunch of stuff during the game but still lost by 23 points. This year's version is pretty much the same: a couple of big inside players and their guards. Maryland is built around the guards. The novelty to their game is that they don't exclusively either pass the ball inside or shoot from the perimeter. They are one of the few teams that favors mid-range shots. Last year, Geno defended them man on man, only switching to a zone at the end. Tuck was the star of the game along with Stewart and Jeffeson; Morgan could not be stopped inside. (Kaleena made one three and one free throw and was no factor.) I expect this year's game to follow last. UConn led by 11 at the half, by 13 at the 10-minute mark of the second period, and then extended to 23. The difference between the teams boiled down to talent. Maryland has some; the Huskies have more.
The "main core" and heartbeat of the Maryland Team from last year (Lexie Brown) is now wearing Duke blue. She is a substantial loss for MD because the offense ran through her.

Reaction Score
Aw geez, I have a group of tickets right in the middle of Sec. 112. I'm bringing ALL of my badass rowdy friends. I guess I'll have to find another section to sit in.

Just kidding. I've got jury duty Monday here in So. Cal. I wish I could be there with you guys. I'll know you're going to enjoy the game, and have lots of fun rooting and cheering the huskies to victory. I can't be there with you in person, but I'll be there with you in spirit.

Go Huskies.
Sorry, Carnac, This rowdyfan can't make the game. I got grounded.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The "main core" and heartbeat of the Maryland Team from last year (Lexie Brown) is now wearing Duke blue. She is a substantial loss for MD because the offense ran through her.
Obviously you didn't see the Sweet 16 game between Maryland and Duke last season.

Reaction Score

Correct, but two guards are the Terps' leading scorers this year, play the bulk of the minutes, have two of the highest shooting %s: Walker-Kimbrough and Moseley. As I said, the game runs through the guards. Heartbeat or no, Maryland is undefeated.

Reaction Score
I agree with a fair amount of your analysis. I follow both teams and became a Maryland season ticket holder when Brenda was hired. Maryland won't be at their best this season until they get Tierney Pfirman back 100%. She has played sporadically this season while trying to get healthy. When she's on the floor, she makes Maryland's attack more dynamic. I have no clue whether she will play on the 28th. She hasn't really played since their win over Syracuse and she was pretty good in that game.

Really, nobody in the country has had a match-up for Stewart and that is the riddle everyone is trying to solve.

For Maryland, if they stay within roughy 20 points this year, it's probably a decent performance.

I also agree with poster that said Brown was not the heart of the team. She had some good moments, but is a very mercurial, moody player. SWK was named region MOP and was probably the third best player on the Pan-Am Games team with Stewart and Jefferson.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Maryland has no chance barring injuries and today is Christmas not Monday. We will see how Stewie recovers from her sprained ankle. Yeah MD has injuries and is not at full strength and so does UConn. We talk about teams with go to players. UConn has 3 and two who are imo 1 and 2 in POY. Tuck it the other go to player. You aint gonna beat them and they wont let you beat UConn. As Katie Lou and Collier come along and progress look out they are both terrific players still developing. Brenda has built a good program which has shown some consistently but UConn is UConn and they set the standard. The bar is to high for any team in WCBB this season. Stewie and Mojeff on both sides of the ball are a terror. MD within 20 pts is a very good game. Not many teams can say that.

Reaction Score
I agree with a fair amount of your analysis. I follow both teams and became a Maryland season ticket holder when Brenda was hired. Maryland won't be at their best this season until they get Tierney Pfirman back 100%. She has played sporadically this season while trying to get healthy. When she's on the floor, she makes Maryland's attack more dynamic. I have no clue whether she will play on the 28th. She hasn't really played since their win over Syracuse and she was pretty good in that game.

Really, nobody in the country has had a match-up for Stewart and that is the riddle everyone is trying to solve.

For Maryland, if they stay within roughy 20 points this year, it's probably a decent performance.

I also agree with poster that said Brown was not the heart of the team. She had some good moments, but is a very mercurial, moody player. SWK was named region MOP and was probably the third best player on the Pan-Am Games team with Stewart and Jefferson.
I agree with your post. I'll add a couple of things. Even though it won't make much difference but the one advantage Maryland have over UConn is their depth. They have had 8 player who have started this season and Moseley isn't one of them. Maryland can go 11 deep and can play any style of basketball. Pfirman should play Monday. She has a hammy but should be OK after the rest the past two weeks. I expect her to guard KLS most of the game. Kiara Leslie probably will guard Gabby Williams with help from A'lexus Harrison and Gillespie will probably guard Collier. Stewart is the big problem. Maryland have no one to match up with her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Obviously you didn't see the Sweet 16 game between Maryland and Duke last season.
I did see Maryland and Duke play last season and many other MD games as well.
\
I also agree with poster that said Brown was not the heart of the team. She had some good moments, but is a very mercurial, moody player.
Lexie Brown led Maryland in Minutes Played, Field goad attempts, 3pt FG attempted & made, Assists, & Steals and was tied for second on the team in scoring.
http://www.bigten.org/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/umd.html
If a MD team MVP were awarded and that award did not go to Lexie Brown there would/should have been an investigation and might very well explain the reason she left MD.

Reaction Score
I agree that Lexie was the mvp last year, for the main reason that she was miss clutch. She kept MD from falling too far behind or kept them ahead when the other team was catching up. She just had a knack for hitting the shot when it was most needed. Lexie would have been one of the best point guards in college if she could penetrate to the basket. She was not good at driving to the basket. MD will miss her in games like the UConn game.

Speaking of point guards, this is my biggest concern for MD in Monday's game. I'm not sure MD 's point guards can handle UConn's defense. UConn's talent is just at a different level than MD's. I'd be happy if MD can stay within 25.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I too rewatched the Final Four game from last year. Maryland played well on offense and hit a number of threes. Morgan was unstoppable, and Stewie got to the FT a lot. Kaleena had a quiet game. The Terps are a good team. Walker-Kimbrough and Moseley are good players, but they will miss Mincy and Brown. Gillespie is a nice addition, but they can't match UConn's talent. I expect about 80-60.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I expect Maryland to give UConn a good game for about 20 minutes. Early in the second half, UConn should start to pull away, if they hadn't already done so in the first half. UConn wears down teams with their smothering "in-your-face" defense. Remember, there's defense, then there's UConn defense. Few teams if any can play UConn defense, and play it for 40 minutes.

I revert back to the success UConn has had so far this season against top ranked teams. It was the defense!! There will be no drop off in their defensive effort against Maryland.
You know Geno will not allow it! Also don't forget, Maryland will be on the road for this one. UConn will be a lot more comfortable in MSG than Maryland will.

UConn wins by 20+ points.

Reaction Score
I did see Maryland and Duke play last season and many other MD games as well.

Lexie Brown led Maryland in Minutes Played, Field goad attempts, 3pt FG attempted & made, Assists, & Steals and was tied for second on the team in scoring.
http://www.bigten.org/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/umd.html
If a MD team MVP were awarded and that award did not go to Lexie Brown there would/should have been an investigation and might very well explain the reason she left MD.
Lexie was a good player for Maryland but Brionna Jones, Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Laurin Mincy plus a solid bench were just as responsible for Maryland's success last season. (As far as the Duke game she was horrible and was benched. Also, she failed to make the USA teams that SWK and Jones made). Brown may have been MVP last season but not by a whole lot. Her effect was not as strong as Alyssa Thomas the previous 4 years. People who assume that we will lose this season because we no longer have Lexie are sadly mistaken.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Lexie was a good player for Maryland but Brionna Jones, Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Laurin Mincy plus a solid bench were just as responsible for Maryland's success last season. (As far as the Duke game she was horrible and was benched. Also, she failed to make the USA teams that SWK and Jones made). Brown may have been MVP last season but not by a whole lot. Her effect was not as strong as Alyssa Thomas the previous 4 years. People who assume that we will lose this season because we no longer have Lexie are sadly mistaken.
The only real way to tell if MD will miss Lexie is for MD to stop playing cupcakes-oops too late! Maryland Eastern Shore? Really? You have 3 starters shooting well over 60% and another shooting well over 50% yet no real credibility from the rating services. Another final four and conference championship for MD are pretty much guaranteed then?

Reaction Score
First of all, Happy Holidays...Not saying Brown wasn't a good player, just that she was in no way a clear MVP. If you want to pick her, that's fine, but I agree with the notion that Maryland didn't have a single such player last season. They were remarkably balanced. Four players averaged between 12.4 and 13.5 ppg. If you want to selectively pick stats, SWK took fewer shots than Brown and made almost 40 more FGs. For whatever reason, USA basketball preferred Jones and SWK. Watching this season, I think Mincy has been harder to replace than Brown. Mincy took many of the big shots last season. There were multiple times last season in which Moseley came off the bench to relieve a struggling Brown- games that come to mind include at Minnesota, at Northwestern, vs. Duke in NCAAs and vs. Conn in NCAAs.

The bigger point is that I know both teams quite well and I heavily favor the Huskies. The match-ups are pretty much all in their favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom