Do the Huskies Have a New Assistant Coach? | The Boneyard

Do the Huskies Have a New Assistant Coach?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s not only commonplace to see UConn’s bench cheer for and encourage their teammates; it’s expected. In last night’s game Lou added an entirely new dimension to this concept. When she wasn’t on the court, putting together another excellent all-around game (23 pts, 10 rbs, 2 ast, 2 st), she was pacing the sideline, shouting instructions to her teammates and calling them over to the sideline to talk during stoppages in play. Lou even walked Molly over to the scorer’s table as a substitution, giving her last-minute instructions prior to entering the game.

Clearly, Lou has made a commitment this season to do anything and everything possible to will this Husky team to another championship, including, it now appears, handling some of the coaching responsibilities. For his part, Geno appears to be fine with Lou taking a more active role, particularly with the reserves. To be honest, the reserves need all the guidance they can get right now.

It’s likely that Lou will be a leading contender for POY in WBB this season. If she can also provide instruction and guidance to the reserves to the point where they become important contributors off the bench, Lou might just earn a few COY votes as well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m thinking that Geno could start delegating more of his coaching duties to Lou: post game press conferences, meetings with boosters/alums and maybe even game planning. It would give Geno a lot more time to work on his golf game. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I’m thinking that Geno could start delegating more of his coaching duties to Lou: post game press conferences, meetings with boosters/alums and maybe even game planning. It would give Geno a lot more time to work on his golf game. :rolleyes:
Golly Gee Whizz batman. I too saw Lou doing all those things but I never thought she'd be replacing Geno in planning or coaching in games? Is this the prelude all had dreaded??
Molly may be Geno's assigned project. Get Molly to shoot, defend better. Lowdy knows some relief is needed.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
She can coach and he can concentrate on recruiting! :D

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Golly Gee Whizz batman. I too saw Lou doing all those things but I never thought she'd be replacing Geno in planning or coaching in games? Is this the prelude all had dreaded??
Molly may be Geno's assigned project. Get Molly to shoot, defend better. Lowdy knows some relief is needed.

She basically is in charge of on court choreographing of any and all bench players. :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It’s not only commonplace to see UConn’s bench cheer for and encourage their teammates; it’s expected. In last night’s game Lou added an entirely new dimension to this concept. When she wasn’t on the court, putting together another excellent all-around game (23 pts, 10 rbs, 2 ast, 2 st), she was pacing the sideline, shouting instructions to her teammates and calling them over to the sideline to talk during stoppages in play. Lou even walked Molly over to the scorer’s table as a substitution, giving her last-minute instructions prior to entering the game.
Not sure what she told Bent, but Bent only took 1 shot in 12 minutes. Although she did again pass up a couple open looks. A bit frustrating. Come on Molly, shoot.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I like Lou's attitude, but a player on the bench should not be allowed to run to the scorer's table to give advice to a player about to enter the game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I like Lou's attitude, but a player on the bench should not be allowed to run to the scorer's table to give advice to a player about to enter the game.
From what perspective?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
From EVERY perspective. Can you picture 5 or 6 players from BOTH TEAMS running to the scorers table to give an incoming player advice?.....I do not believe that there was a time-out when this happened. Coaches have to stay within the coaching "box. What is the rule for players?

Reaction Score
Not sure what she told Bent, but Bent only took 1 shot in 12 minutes. Although she did again pass up a couple open looks. A bit frustrating. Come on Molly, shoot.

Clearly she told her, “ if u think about shooting , think again just pass” Ha

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
From EVERY perspective. Can you picture 5 or 6 players from BOTH TEAMS running to the scorers table to give an incoming player advice?.....I do not believe that there was a time-out when this happened. Coaches have to stay within the coaching "box. What is the rule for players?
Not sure what your point is. There was a stoppage of play when Molly was subbed in. Lou walked over towards the scorers table with her talking as she went. I’ve seen coaches do exactly the same thing a thousand times.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Not sure what your point is. There was a stoppage of play when Molly was subbed in. Lou walked over towards the scorers table with her talking as she went. I’ve seen coaches do exactly the same thing a thousand times.
Correct, but she is NOT the coach!
You are wrong! Look at a replay. There was about 2:30 to go in the 3rd quarter when Lou left the bench and ran to a kneeling Molly at the scorer's table. She then ran back to the bench while the clock was still running, and the game was in progress

Reaction Score

You are wrong! Look at a replay. There was about 2:30 to go in the 3rd quarter when Lou left the bench and ran to a kneeling Molly at the scorer's table. She then ran back to the bench while the clock was still running, and the game was in progress

How is that different than a player going to the scorer table waiting to check in, while the game is going on, and then walk back to the bench when the coach calls her back. I am sure there is no rule against what Lou did.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I demand an NCAA investigation. :confused:;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

OK fine. Unless Lou somehow interfered with the game, it’s no big deal. No need to make a mountain out of a molehill. Refs typically grant coaches considerable leeway when they roam outside the coaching box, and even onto the court at times.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
89C71F25-1CA2-4687-8CAD-D9A4E6A1C05D.jpeg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ok, yea as a rule, I'm not sure. It may not be legal. Although nothing was called. It may not be a rule cause players can go to the table to check in and then get called back and go back to the bench.

From a team perspective, I like it. She's trying to help the other players.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
OK fine. Unless Lou somehow interfered with the game, it’s no big deal. No need to make a mountain out of a molehill. Refs typically grant coaches considerable leeway when they roam outside the coaching box, and even onto the court at times.
Look at the poster's name. It is literally the Spanish word for mountain. With such a nom de plume, the molehills must grow inevitably. It is fated. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom