Do NOT call out posters/Game threads | The Boneyard

Do NOT call out posters/Game threads

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don’t care how angry you are about a poster’s comments, don’t call the poster out. How would you like to be publicly humiliated? Worse, that appeared to be the intention, which I find appalling.(thread has been deleted)

If you don’t like the comments in the game threads, don’t read them. A game thread is for people to air their feelings during the game. I put a caveat at the beginning of the thread.

I’m trying really hard to create space for all kinds of fans. Just because I post asking for consideration for one part of our community doesn’t give license to attack those with different opinions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agreed. Much better to address the merits (or lack thereof) of the post itself, rather than calling out the poster. There's an important difference.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Much better to address the merits (or lack thereof) of the post itself, rather than calling out the poster. There's an important difference.
Exactly!!! Maybe just send them a private message instead of getting everybody else involved! Meh...

Reaction Score
As I tell my students, I don't especially like everyone I work with, but part of being a responsible adult is coexisting and tolerating all opinions and differences. You don't have to agree with everyone, but you also don't have to be mean. I don't know the thread in question, and I'm glad that I didn't read it.

Reaction Score
I'm trying hard to understand the concept behind this. Let me get this straight.
A member can post a terribly derogatory comment about one of our players, and it's ok, as long as it appears in the game thread. But, other members shouldn't respond in an aggressive manner because the original offending poster might be publicly humiliated ?
Isn't that what the offending poster just did to the player in question ?
Imo, the Boneyard, and all it's threads are well regulated by the moderators.
However, I see no justification for a special "No holds barred" thread where comments that are normally censored are now allowed. And if such comments are allowed about the players, why not allow them about other posters ? Shouldn't the "in the heat of the moment" effect count for the response too ?

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
th
BTW, I am talking about myself..............................

Reaction Score
I'm trying hard to understand the concept behind this. Let me get this straight.
A member can post a terribly derogatory comment about one of our players, and it's ok, as long as it appears in the game thread. But, other members shouldn't respond in an aggressive manner because the original offending poster might be publicly humiliated ?
Isn't that what the offending poster just did to the player in question ?
Imo, the Boneyard, and all it's threads are well regulated by the moderators.
However, I see no justification for a special "No holds barred" thread where comments that are normally censored are now allowed. And if such comments are allowed about the players, why not allow them about other posters ? Shouldn't the "in the heat of the moment" effect count for the response too ?

I do not think anyone could accuse me of attacking anyone or getting into a back and forth argument, so I am saying this from a neutral standpoint.

I normally agree with your sentiments, but if folks are asking to have a forum where they can react emotionally without thinking then why can we just not respect it. Let's not make it worse by attacking them. How does that work out in normal life relationships. Does that typically get a calm and thoughtful response or since the person is already emotional, an escalating response is what usually can be expected. I have just found in life most things are not worth getting that upset over and does not change the course of our life.

Also, we are not the players protectors although from what I have seen on this board is mostly a level of respect with understanding these are young ladies in college that are part of arguably the hardest basketball program in the country. If that is the case, report it and let the monitors deal with it rather than feeling we are their protector and then starting a flurry of negative posts that ultimately makes everyone feel uncomfortable. Just my 2cents but I understand your view too.

Reaction Score
I do not think anyone could accuse me of attacking anyone or getting into a back and forth argument, so I am saying this from a neutral standpoint.

I normally agree with your sentiments, but if folks are asking to have a forum where they can react emotionally without thinking then why can we just not respect it. Let's not make it worse by attacking them. How does that work out in normal life relationships. Does that typically get a calm and thoughtful response or since the person is already emotional, an escalating response is what usually can be expected. I have just found in life most things are not worth getting that upset over and does not change the course of our life.

Also, we are not the players protectors although from what I have seen on this board is mostly a level of respect with understanding these are young ladies in college that are part of arguably the hardest basketball program in the country. If that is the case, report it and let the monitors deal with it rather than feeling we are their protector and then starting a flurry of negative posts that ultimately makes everyone feel uncomfortable. Just my 2cents but I understand your view too.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.
The problem I have is, it appears as though reporting derogatory comments, in the game day thread, to the moderators will not result in any action because of the "heat of the moment" concept.
Does that concept mean that I can post a derogatory comment about another member's post ( or the poster him/herself) if I do it immediately and in the game day thread (ie. in the heat of the moment) ?
You're opening up Pandora's box if you do and you would be logically inconsistent if you don't.
Why should a poster be able to make a "humiliating" comment about one of our players yet be immune from comments him/herself ?

JS

Reaction Score
Allow me to preface these comments by fair disclosure. I'm not a game thread person. You've never seen me post in one, because, in addition to being unable to walk and chew gum within a single 24 hour period, I can't allow interruption of the holy communion between me and my TV during games.

I have on rare occasions kept an eye on a game thread when aware that the other mods aren't available. Which leads to . . .

Comment One.

The game threads are monitored. As that implies, you can't say anything you please in a game thread. There's still such a thing as violating the board rules. You can't swear or launch vile personal attacks. And you can't trash the players.

What is trashing? I'll address that if you want, but saying somebody clutched isn't trashing. It may be inaccurate. It may be harshly put. It may be unpleasant, or overly emotional. But it isn't trashing.

So, I think what Nan has said is that people in game threads have a bit more leeway because of the stream of consciousness and emotion-infused nature of the thread.

Comment Two. More leeway doesn't mean anarchic license to say things that violate the board's culture of respect for the players and a civil attitude toward each other. But I've never perceived the problem as being peeing matches between posters in the game threads. Things are moving too fast, and we're all on the same side, right? It's just that some people turn over-harsh and blaming when confronted with in-game adversity. The ego is over-wrapped in the proceedings, and the person lashes out.

Comment Three. When that happens, contrary to the impression of some here, there can be consequences. We actually banned a prominent poster from participating in game threads for about four games just to punctuate our warning that he needed to control himself.

Comment Four. As Nan's OP suggests, it's not kosher to lift a game thread post and hold it up to be reviled in the spotlight the next day.

Let us handle it. We actually do make judgments on where to draw the line. See comment Three. But kindly don't engage in vigilantism. Public stonings are out of style, at least in most jurisdictions.

In the time-honored internet phrase, hope this helps.

Reaction Score
Thank you for the context. I, for one, am having a hard time following directives to not do something when the something we should not do has been deleted (for good and obvious reasons). I understand that to this extent, the moderators' hands are tied, but following the back and forth about these issues d Nan's understandable frustration with people slamming her (and, of course, we never see the slams so we cannot really do much more than sympathize).

Reaction Score
:( Hope it was not me. But sometimes I feel like Head bang but have been working on keeping that to myself :rolleyes:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
No more threads for you. Are we talking about the clothes someone is wearing? I don’t

Reaction Score
Some folks just need to watch the game for a minimum of five minutes at a time before commenting to let things unfold a little. Living and dying on every missed layup or turnover is just not healthy, and most of those comments are a Lou transition 3 or Gabby steal behind real time anyway.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I don’t care how angry you are about a poster’s comments, don’t call the poster out. How would you like to be publicly humiliated? Worse, that appeared to be the intention, which I find appalling.(thread has been deleted)

If you don’t like the comments in the game threads, don’t read them. A game thread is for people to air their feelings during the game. I put a caveat at the beginning of the thread.

I’m trying really hard to create space for all kinds of fans. Just because I post asking for consideration for one part of our community doesn’t give license to attack those with different opinions.

Thanks @HuskyNan

This is the PRIMARY reason I stay off game threads. I prefer to watch the game and then tune in after!! I find myself commenting on other games (non Uconn) with much more ease.

Reaction Score

What...is MilfordHusky actin' up again?

J/K

Reaction Score
Allow me to preface these comments by fair disclosure. I'm not a game thread person. You've never seen me post in one, because, in addition to being unable to walk and chew gum within a single 24 hour period, I can't allow interruption of the holy communion between me and my TV during games.

I have on rare occasions kept an eye on a game thread when aware that the other mods aren't available. Which leads to . . .

Comment One.

The game threads are monitored. As that implies, you can't say anything you please in a game thread. There's still such a thing as violating the board rules. You can't swear or launch vile personal attacks. And you can't trash the players.

What is trashing? I'll address that if you want, but saying somebody clutched isn't trashing. It may be inaccurate. It may be harshly put. It may be unpleasant, or overly emotional. But it isn't trashing.

So, I think what Nan has said is that people in game threads have a bit more leeway because of the stream of consciousness and emotion-infused nature of the thread.

Comment Two. More leeway doesn't mean anarchic license to say things that violate the board's culture of respect for the players and a civil attitude toward each other. But I've never perceived the problem as being peeing matches between posters in the game threads. Things are moving too fast, and we're all on the same side, right? It's just that some people turn over-harsh and blaming when confronted with in-game adversity. The ego is over-wrapped in the proceedings, and the person lashes out.

Comment Three. When that happens, contrary to the impression of some here, there can be consequences. We actually banned a prominent poster from participating in game threads for about four games just to punctuate our warning that he needed to control himself.

Comment Four. As Nan's OP suggests, it's not kosher to lift a game thread post and hold it up to be reviled in the spotlight the next day.

Let us handle it. We actually do make judgments on where to draw the line. See comment Three. But kindly don't engage in vigilantism. Public stonings are out of style, at least in most jurisdictions.

In the time-honored internet phrase, hope this helps.

Thank you for providing both context and the mechanics on how game day posts are administered. Some of which I was unaware of. It provides an understanding of how decisions are arrived at.
Ultimately, it comes down to a judgement call on what constitutes an "abusive" post, and that judgement is made by one of the moderators. I'm still of the opinion that the goal post of what constitutes "abusive" shouldn't move because it happens to appear in the game day thread. By not changing the criteria of what is abusive from thread to thread, posters will have a firmer idea of what is, and what is not allowed. It would also discourage the temptation of a poster "pushing the envelope", to see what they could get away with in the game day thread.
But that's just my opinion.
PS. It does help.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom