Do NBE schools control their T3 rights? | The Boneyard

Do NBE schools control their T3 rights?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Part of what makes the move to the NBE attractive is our presumed ability to sell our T3 rights (basically the games that wouldn't normally be on TV) to SNY. Does anyone know for that the NBE's Fox deal doesn't include these?

I could MBB, WBB, FB games and coaches shows being of value to SNY. I'd also expect to see some baseball and hockey (Hockey East) games. That consistent presence would be a huge a boost in our targeted recruiting regions.

But can we do it?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Part of what makes the move to the NBE attractive is our presumed ability to sell our T3 rights (basically the games that wouldn't normally be on TV) to SNY. Does anyone know for that the NBE's Fox deal doesn't include these?

I could MBB, WBB, FB games and coaches shows being of value to SNY. I'd also expect to see some baseball and hockey (Hockey East) games. That consistent presence would be a huge a boost in our targeted recruiting regions.

But can we do it?

UConn better have their right's otherwise this move is a joke.

Reaction Score
I believe they do. SNY broadcasts some Seton Hall games when Fox doesn't use them

Reaction Score
Big games on FOX and CBS
Basketball and football package on SNY/CBSSN
Most Olympic sports will be on FOX owned CW20 (this last baseball and hockey season had multiple games). I’m sure they’ll put on big soccer games as well

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Same deal as ESPN - they get the rights.

Reaction Score
Fox will be a much better partner for UConn than ESPN.

Most of the Big East fans have come around in the last couple of years in how great it is on FS1. Studio shows, postgame coverage. Top TV crews. Inside the huddle sites and sounds. When many BE fans didn't like the 7pm/9:15PM Et doubleheaders as the second game was late tips in many area's, the AD's works with FOX Sports. Many doubleheaders are now 6:30pm/8:45PM, which has workout much better for fans going to the games. Plus, you get a head start on live games over ESPN, etc.

Reaction Score

But can we do it?

If we're a football independent, the football rights are worth nothing to anyone. Our football rights were worth something, but we're now just putting off the inevitable decision to not play FBS football so that fans don't think this was an "either or" choice.

This was in fact an "either or" choice.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If we're a football independent, the football rights are worth nothing to anyone. Our football rights were worth something, but we're now just putting off the inevitable decision to not play FBS football so that fans don't think this was an "either or" choice.

I don't disagree that the end result is likely not having an FBS team. I just think that would have been the case in the American or as an Independent. Indy football may push that timeline up, but in my opinion, UConn was never going to find success playing as an outlier in Southern mid-major FBS conference. If we bleed out sooner, so be it.

The flip side is if they can miraculously start winning some games again by playing a schedule that would be more conducive for our program, maybe you can make some of it up in ticket sales and whatever SNY would be willing to pay for the broadcast rights for our home games.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame and BYU independent rights are worth money. If ours are worth zero, that's your answer as to whether we are P5 worthy. All we lose in that case is the chance that AAC ultimately achieves P6 and we missed it.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree that the end result is likely not having an FBS team. I just think that would have been the case in the American or as an Independent. Indy football may push that timeline up, but in my opinion, UConn was never going to find success playing as an outlier in Southern mid-major FBS conference. If we bleed out sooner, so be it.

The flip side is if they can miraculously start winning some games again by playing a schedule that would be more conducive for our program, maybe you can make some of it up in ticket sales and whatever SNY would be willing to pay for the broadcast rights for our home games.

The slog in the AAC would have been harden than in the Big East, but not exponentially so. 90% of the disaster that has befallen our football program is because of our coaching hires, not our conference affiliation. We have sucked for too long with a program that very few had a deep caring about. If we had maintained '07 -- '10 level following Edsall's departure, attendance would have gone done because it's going down in most places and we wouldn't care about our attendance as much, but it would be fine. We'd be playing competitive football against opponents of overall roughly the same quality.

We needed time, along with a greater financial commitment and some luck. But a resurgence would have come at some point if we were determined to have one. Now we need to draw a royal straight flush with our first five cards in order to think football will survive a decade. I don't think it will.

CL82

Reaction Score

Mmm, I'm pretty sure SNY will end up broadcasting our football games at least initially. I'm also sure they won't get them for free. Thereafter, SNY will either renew or not based on whether it's profitable to them.

Last edited:

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
A link to the original new big east-fox sports agreement.
The agreement grants FOX Sports rights to all conference-controlled men’s basketball games, select rights to women’s basketball, all Olympic sports and extensive rights for highlights and to produce ancillary programming.

So sounds like we won't get any additional tier 3 revenue for Men's basketball even if sub-licensed to SNY, but there's a possibility for any women's games not picked up by Fox that we can then control and selloff inventory to SNY ourselves.

CL82

Reaction Score
The agreement grants FOX Sports rights to all conference-controlled men’s basketball games, select rights to women’s basketball, all Olympic sports and extensive rights for highlights and to produce ancillary programming.

So sounds like we won't get any additional tier 3 revenue for Men's basketball even if sub-licensed to SNY, but there's a possibility for any women's games not picked up by Fox that we can then control and selloff inventory to SNY ourselves.
Thanks Dan!

It looks like pre-conference play is available for Men's basketball, most woman's games and all football rights. We can get revenue for these. Plus, as you point out, SNY may be able to acquire the rights to additional games that Fox doesn't want to broadcast.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

It didn't say "conference games", it said "conference controlled" men's basketball games, which indicates there are games that are not conference controlled. It looks like the Big East members hold their own Tier 3 rights.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
It didn't say "conference games", it said "conference controlled" men's basketball games, which indicates there are games that are not conference controlled. It looks like the Big East members hold their own Tier 3 rights.
Re-read your first sentence. You're right it didn't say "conference games", it said "conference controlled games" which would be every home game, not just every conference game. Therefore, no third tier rights for men's basketball.

Reaction Score
FOX, FS1, FS1 & BTN now stream on the FOX Sports App.
Your local RSN's of FSN have been sold. Those still remain on a different app called FOX Sports Go. Yes, there is a difference.

The Big East Digital Network that shows all the women's basketball conference games. Some volleyball, soccer, lacrosse & track & field in a on a new app called Caffeine.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

So how in the heck does this help if the women games are not on SNY? That was part of the reason to leave from how I have read and heard it the past few days.

I think playing Big East teams for basketball is a good thing, but everything else is sorta FUBAR IMHO

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
So how in the heck does this help if the women games are not on SNY? That was part of the reason to leave from how I have read and heard it the past few days.

I think playing Big East teams for basketball is a good thing, but everything else is sorta FUBAR IMHO
I think the way it reads is that UConn women's games can be SNY or any other network for games that Fox does not pickup. I think all our games will be on TV.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The slog in the AAC would have been harden than in the Big East, but not exponentially so. 90% of the disaster that has befallen our football program is because of our coaching hires, not our conference affiliation. We have sucked for too long with a program that very few had a deep caring about. If we had maintained '07 -- '10 level following Edsall's departure, attendance would have gone done because it's going down in most places and we wouldn't care about our attendance as much, but it would be fine. We'd be playing competitive football against opponents of overall roughly the same quality.

We needed time, along with a greater financial commitment and some luck. But a resurgence would have come at some point if we were determined to have one. Now we need to draw a royal straight flush with our first five cards in order to think football will survive a decade. I don't think it will.

Sheesh

Time to switch business lawyers

Reaction Score
My reading

It would be malpractice for a Benedict to negotiate - in any form - and not have an answer for future Geno Auriemma WBB rights (nobody currently has anything like that in the BE) and FBS Football (again. Not contemplated by any other BE school).

O ... I simply don’t believe there weren’t key clauses on both on the path to this week.

Reaction Score
Thanks Dan!

It looks like pre-conference play is available for Men's basketball, most woman's games and all football rights. We can get revenue for these. Plus, as you point out, SNY may be able to acquire the rights to additional games that Fox doesn't want to broadcast.
Legit question - I know we were not winning like we had been (women’s basketball was still winning almost as much).
For us to have a $40M deficit, it seems that the AAC’s contract prior to the new one had also not helped us earn the revenue we expected. So the new contract was likely to give us a bigger shortfall.

We need to be able to license these other games in order to generate revenue for everything we’re doing. If it’s not T1 or T2, the media company should allow us to sell it however we can. That’s good for the conference, actually, to make sure fans of a team can watch no matter where they are on multimedia outlets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom