Do Larrier and Adams go pro? Then what | The Boneyard

Do Larrier and Adams go pro? Then what

Reaction Score
There were a lot of assumptions on this board about Jalen leaving this year, and Terry made some comment about this being his last year in college ball (not sure if that was a firm plan or an aspiration).

Both players don't appear to be on draft boards for either round.
Terry has an NBA level height and shooting, but needs to work on his handle. He's put up reasonably efficient numbers in an environment where he has to take bad shots because the team needs him to. From a spot-shooter perspective, I think he's better than the numbers dictate and could serve as a good role player.

Jalen is a fantastic player and a great finisher, but needs to improve his 3 point shooting to stop the D from going under the screens. This was also a problem that Kemba had to fix. Given he doesn't have Kemba's speed he will find it is much tougher to score at the hoop in the NBA.

If the both leave, they will essentially be saying that the G league is a better place to develop their game. Combine this decision with DHam and it will officially be a trend.

I stand firmly in the keep Ollie camp because I worry about the recruiting problems that come with replacing a coach. A lot of the folks calling for Ollie's head need to understand that it will be at least a 2-3 year process to get the team back on track. I think the best way to guarantee .500 seasons over the next couple of years is to shake the coaching snow globe. That said, I think if Larrier and Adams decide to leave the program this year it will change the dynamics on how to assess the next few years and the impact of a coaching change during this period.

I really hope they both stay. Ollie has taken some bad beats and I would highly prefer to see him turn this team around. I'm curious to see what others (who aren't chomping at the bits to fire Ollie) think about Adams/Larrier and the downstream impacts.

Reaction Score
A lot of the folks calling for Ollie's head need to understand that it will be at least a 2-3 year process to get the team back on track.

It's been a 4 year process watching him regress as a coach. If he is able to:

1. Show us in the remainder of this season some of the things we saw v. UCF/Tulane or if we're lucky what we saw in 2012-13 AND
  2. Convince at least 1 of Adams/Larrier to stay
I'd be OK with him coming back. I'm currently skeptical of even 1 of the above happening. The post by The UConn Blog today illustrates very nicely how Ollie has done a severe miscalculation of what it takes to win in today's game (something Borges also eloquently tweeted out the other day as well). Another year of what we saw in 2016-17 and this year and it will be an even longer rebuild process than it would already be.

TheUConnBlog on Twitter

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
They don’t care where they are on draft boards, or what they actually need to work on. They think they’ll make it, so they’ll be gone.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
TL is currently 73rd on nbadraft.net's big board, Jalen is unranked.

Aran Smith's 2018 Big Board: Top 100 Prospects | NBADraft.net

Unless one of them shows something significant over the next two months, it's hard to imagine their stocks improving. However, I have to imagine JA is watching what RP is doing in the G League and saying "Why not me?"

TL has been misused in the offense (asked to work from the perimeter in too much), so it's a good question how he'd be viewed by scouts. We all know the issues with his handle.

The downstream impact? If they both leave, we'll likely remain a bad to middling team, depending on who takes their scholarships. If Ollie remains, if they both stay, if AG is healthy, if Akinjo is a solid freshman, is a bubble NCAA team next year IMHO. But that's going to require a healthy AG, a healthy TL, and less hero ball.

The pain of firing Ollie would be real. We'd probably lose TL and JA, we might lose recruits, etc. Regardless of who we lose, scholarships will pop open. A new coach will have to rebuild, but would have the opportunity to do it in his own image for better or worse.

Reaction Score
I think position-less ball assumes the guys that are position-less can shoot, drive, pass and rebound with some serious ability in each facit. If this cast of characters (including Gilbert who does have a position) was selected so UConn could play positon-less ball then bad selecting. Don't think the 2 grad transfers were selected 'cause they could play position-less ball (that is quite funny actually related to DO); hard to imagine even Ollie saw Williams or MD or Cobb as positon-less. Yeah, Carlton isn't much of a position-less type of player either.
This position-less ball stuff is bull, the UConn guys are just not good enough at the positions they play so they look like they are playing position-less.

Reaction Score
I think position-less ball assumes the guys that are position-less can shoot, drive, pass and rebound with some serious ability in each facit. If this cast of characters (including Gilbert who does have a position) was selected so UConn could play positon-less ball then bad selecting. Don't think the 2 grad transfers were selected 'cause they could play position-less ball (that is quite funny actually related to DO); hard to imagine even Ollie saw Williams or MD or Cobb as positon-less. Yeah, Carlton isn't much of a position-less type of player either.
This position-less ball stuff is bull, the UConn guys are just not good enough at the positions they play so they look like they are playing position-less.
It doesn't make any sense. Postionless basketball only works when everyone can dribble and shoot. Outside of Jalen, none of our guys can dribble and shoot.

Reaction Score
The expectations of this team have fallen so far that we are worried about no handle, no rebound, inconsistent shooting, fragile, injured at any moment Terry Larrier to be our savior? KO needs to get better players and shooters quick, more than what we have coming. If so he may stay next season, but if not next season will be worse than this has been.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Making money somewhere else while developing your game seems more enticing than playing another year for a team that has to be incredibly frustrating to play for.

It's more than that. The G league guys are full time athletes. They can spend all day every day working on their body and game. There is no way any college player can commit as much time to basketball. That's one reason you see the improvements from Hamilton, Purvis and Brimah. They may also be getting better coaching.

I think Larrier will go and I think Adams would like to. He's really just missing a consistent outside shot, something neither Magic Johnson or Jason Kidd had to any great degree in college. I think he'd be better able to work on that in the G league.

Reaction Score
It's more than that. The G league guys are full time athletes. They can spend all day every day working on their body and game. There is no way any college player can commit as much time to basketball. That's one reason you see the improvements from Hamilton, Purvis and Brimah. They may also be getting better coaching.

I think Larrier will go and I think Adams would like to. He's really just missing a consistent outside shot, something neither Magic Johnson or Jason Kidd had to any great degree in college. I think he'd be better able to work on that in the G league.

well beyond G League, there is always international ball

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Larrier is currently 73rd on nbadraft.net's big board, Jalen is unranked.

Aran Smith's 2018 Big Board: Top 100 Prospects | NBADraft.net

Unless one of them shows something significant over the next two months, it's hard to imagine their stocks improving. However, I have to imagine JA is watching what RP is doing in the G League and saying "Why not me?"

Larrier has been misused in the offense (asked to work from the perimeter in too much), so it's a good question how he'd be viewed by scouts. We all know the issues with his handle.

The downstream impact? If they both leave, we'll likely remain a bad to middling team, depending on who takes their scholarships. If Ollie remains, if they both stay, if AG is healthy, if Akinjo is a solid freshman, is a bubble NCAA team next year IMHO. But that's going to require a healthy AG, a healthy Larrier, and less hero ball.

The pain of firing Ollie would be real. We'd probably lose Larrier and JA, we might lose recruits, etc. Regardless of who we lose, scholarships will pop open. A new coach will have to rebuild, but would have the opportunity to do it in his own image for better or worse.
What makes you think any new coach will be given the opportunity to build a team in his own image?

Reaction Score
I think Jalen will have a long NBA career even if it's as a backup; I'll be very surprised if he's on campus next year. The poor kid has been wasted at UConn, probably more so than any player in program history - our offense, the talent around him, etc.

I know Jalen is a bit of a divisive topic around here but I believe he'll surprise folks once he gets into the NBA style of play with a faster tempo, spaced floor, etc. My #hottake of the day is that he's the second most gifted point guard we've ever had, after Kemba. He's athletic, has a solid all-around game, can finish in traffic, decent passer, etc. His shot is fine, he's forced to take so many bad shots because of our offense, he has to force far more shots than he should. He's a career 83% FT shooter I believe, usually a good indicator of guys with solid mechanics who'll improve their jumper over time. He doesn't have a major weakness IMO and will probably develop nicely after he's in the league. The Knicks have a few second rounders this June, I hope we use one to snag Jalen if he declares.

Larrier, I don't see it. He's an inferior player to DeAndre Daniels and Daniel Hamilton.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
What makes you think any new coach will be given the opportunity to build a team in his own image?

You don't see this all the time in college basketball?

Maybe I'm naive, but I would hope a new coach would be able to install his own offensive and defensive systems and recruit around those systems.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I think Jalen will have a long NBA career even if it's as a backup; I'll be very surprised if he's on campus next year. The poor kid has been wasted at UConn, probably more so than any player in program history - our offense, the talent around him, etc.

I know Jalen is a bit of a divisive topic around here but I believe he'll surprise folks once he gets into the NBA style of play with a faster tempo, spaced floor, etc. My #hottake of the day is that he's the second most gifted point guard we've ever had, after Kemba. He's athletic, has a solid all-around game, can finish in traffic, decent passer, etc. His shot is fine, he's forced to take so many bad shots because of our offense, he has to force far more shots than he should. He's a career 83% FT shooter I believe, usually a good indicator of guys with solid mechanics who'll improve their jumper over time. He doesn't have a major weakness IMO and will probably develop nicely after he's in the league. The Knicks have a few second rounders this June, I hope we use one to snag Jalen if he declares.

Larrier, I don't see it. He's an inferior player to DeAndre Daniels and Daniel Hamilton.

Waaaaaay inferior to DHam. Hamilton was a solid player here, good passer and rebounder

Reaction Score
To call what Ollie wants positionless is to mis-identify it. Ollie wants a 7-footer, he has said this. He also wants two PGs. These are traditional position players.

After that he would like the 2-3-4 players to be interchangeable. He would like the rest of the team to be like Daniel Hamilton or Larrier.

There is nothing inherently wrong about that composition for a team. But we have seen it lead to defensive lapses and the players he has recruited have offensive deficiencies. It's hard to judge his coaching because his team doesn't fit his system.

Reaction Score
I don't think Ollie is averse to shooters or guys who stand still and shoot. It's that he hasn't prioritized them. Jalen doesn't count because he's an elite recruit and was a solid get. But Ollie went after Myles Powell, he got Vance Jackson. Both of these players were known more for their shooting than their dynamism. The main critique is that he hasn't prioritized such players. For instance, MAL over Waters (although you can make an argument that he was leery of having Alterique and a guy with Waters' height in the backcourt at the same time).

Reaction Score

Those are two really, really terrible examples. He's not just missing the outside shot. Collectively, he doesn't have anywhere near the vision and passing ability those two had. And individually, he doesn't have Magic's height, and he doesn't have Kidd's handle.

I know you weren't comparing him to them, but those guys had other things that made them great basketball players and/or gave them advantages that Adams doesn't have.

Reaction Score
There were a lot of assumptions on this board about Jalen leaving this year, and Terry made some comment about this being his last year in college ball (not sure if that was a firm plan or an aspiration).

Both players don't appear to be on draft boards for either round.
Terry has an NBA level height and shooting, but needs to work on his handle. He's put up reasonably efficient numbers in an environment where he has to take bad shots because the team needs him to. From a spot-shooter perspective, I think he's better than the numbers dictate and could serve as a good role player.

Jalen is a fantastic player and a great finisher, but needs to improve his 3 point shooting to stop the D from going under the screens. This was also a problem that Kemba had to fix. Given he doesn't have Kemba's speed he will find it is much tougher to score at the hoop in the NBA.

If the both leave, they will essentially be saying that the G league is a better place to develop their game. Combine this decision with DHam and it will officially be a trend.

I stand firmly in the keep Ollie camp because I worry about the recruiting problems that come with replacing a coach. A lot of the folks calling for Ollie's head need to understand that it will be at least a 2-3 year process to get the team back on track. I think the best way to guarantee .500 seasons over the next couple of years is to shake the coaching snow globe. That said, I think if Larrier and Adams decide to leave the program this year it will change the dynamics on how to assess the next few years and the impact of a coaching change during this period.

I really hope they both stay. Ollie has taken some bad beats and I would highly prefer to see him turn this team around. I'm curious to see what others (who aren't chomping at the bits to fire Ollie) think about Adams/Larrier and the downstream impacts.

Serious question, if you don't think we should replace KO because there are recruiting problems with replacing a coach, when would replacing a coach ever be a good idea in your opinion? It just doesn't make any sense to me. I think everyone realizes that if KO left some if not all of the recruits would leave and there may be some transfers. That's the cost of replacing a coach in the short term. The long term benefit is that eventually the ship is righted and the coach brings in his own players the next few years. If KO can't turn it around, then you're just prolonging the inevitable. I don't want to denigrate any kids individually either, but of all recruiting classes to potentially have decommitments from the one without any kids ranked in the top 100 is probably your best bet.

Reaction Score
If Jalen & Terry decide NOT to go pro (US or overseas) then if the transfer rules change at seasons end they both would have "freebies" to transfer & play right away. I'm not trying to be negative i'm just being realistic.....if KO is still the coach & we end the season badly what possible reason would JA & TL have to return to a dysfunctional program, risk injury & probably not improve draft stock? If they can go to high-profile program that will be a lock for Tourney & they will get significant minutes I imagine they will strongly consider that option unfortunately.

Reaction Score
The pain of firing Ollie would be real. We'd probably lose Larrier and JA, we might lose recruits, etc. Regardless of who we lose, scholarships will pop open. A new coach will have to rebuild, but would have the opportunity to do it in his own image for better or worse.

I'm not trying to be dramatic but "pain" is in this program's near future regardless of what happens with the coach - Ollie will be rebuilding or a new coach will be rebuilding. My gut feeling is that the pain will only get worse if we keep KO around, this ditch will keep on getting deeper.

Reaction Score
It would serve Adams well to go to the g-league. No individual player has been hurt more in terms of development and draft stock than he has. His assist numbers have plummeted due to a lack of options, and having to do everything by himself leads to inflated turnovers, inflated difficult shot volumes, and overall creates a picture, at least on paper, of a point guard who isn't very good. Adams is much better than his numbers show and what his performance this year woukd lead one to believe. If he's on a g-league roster, he'll be surrounded by prospects and a team that will have a greater probability of showing how good he can be

Reaction Score
There’s a small chance that either return. If either do, it would be because UConn hired a new coach, and the new coach recruited them into giving it one more try to work their way into the draft. They would be out of their minds to come back and play for Ollie after only getting this far under his tutelage.

Reaction Score
Jalen is a better shooter than he is given credit. The problem is we ask too much of him and he gets plenty of attention from opposing teams. Most of his shots are pressured.
Watch Villanova's shooters. They almost never take a pressured 3 and as a result they shoot well. Opponents know if they pay attention to Jalen they can pretty much stop UConn so they pay attention to Jalen. Jalen's shooting % would improve if we had more options. Unfortunately we don't have any other consistent options.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom