Do established powers hire unproven coaches ? | The Boneyard

Do established powers hire unproven coaches ?

Reaction Score
How many powerhouses (UNC, Duke, Kansas, UCONN, Kentucky, etc) have replaced retiring coaches with unproven coaches (ala KO) who then kept the program at a high level? Just wondering - serious question that I do not know the answer to. None come to mind.

Example: Dean Smith retires. UNC appoints a man unproven as a head coach. He lasts three years. The team's record (still winning) gets worse each year. When the last of Smith's recruits graduates, his successor is gone and they hire Roy Williams. Sounds familiar.

If UCONN had spent the dough for a coach who had run a successful Division 1 program, I think we would now be in one of the power conferences.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
How many powerhouses (UNC, Duke, Kansas, UCONN, Kentucky, etc) have replaced retiring coaches with unproven coaches (ala KO) who then kept the program at a high level? Just wondering - serious question that I do not know the answer to. None come to mind.

Example: Dean Smith retires. UNC appoints a man unproven as a head coach. He lasts three years. The team's record (still winning) gets worse each year. When the last of Smith's recruits graduates, his successor is gone and they hire Roy Williams. Sounds familiar.

If UCONN had spent the dough for a coach who had run a successful Division 1 program, I think we would now be in one of the power conferences.
No, football unfortunately runs the ship and Ollie was hired after the latest CR curfuffle. Even if we hired a Mark Few and we got to an additional Elite 8, we still wouldn't have gotten consideration from the P5.

Reaction Score

That's not what actually happened. When Guthridge retired, they hired Matt Doherty, not Roy Williams. Doherty proceeds to crash the program on the rocks, even posting a 20 loss season. Williams came after MD was fired.

Reaction Score
Less often now, hell UCLA hired Walt Hazzard in the 80's. He coached someplace, but it was a nothing place.

Georgetown hired Esherick after JT

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Lol you think the men's bball coach would change ESPN/foxs minds and our football teams record would have made the playoffs? Lol also any over coach would not have wine a NC and a conference tourney in the first 5 years. Also nice trolling

Reaction Score
That's not what actually happened. When Guthridge retired, they hired Matt Doherty, not Roy Williams. Doherty proceeds to crash the program on the rocks, even posting a 20 loss season. Williams came after MD was fired.

Wasn't the core of the 2005 UNC NC team Doherty recruits? He couldn't coach a lick but he did bring in a few recruits, which probably isn't that hard at UNC I suppose. I remember sitting in the student section as Caron butlers team waxed the 01/02 UNC team by 40 in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Lol you think the men's bball coach would change ESPN/foxs minds and our football teams record would have made the playoffs? Lol also any over coach would not have wine a NC and a conference tourney in the first 5 years. Also nice trolling

Bro what language are you speaking. I have an MBA and I can't discern what you're trying to say. Speak English bruh.

Reaction Score

The funny thing about that is Doherty recruited all the 04 Carolina players... May... Mccants ect....and was fired in 03 for Roy who stepped in and won the title his 2nd year with Doherty's players. Who knows how the season would have turned out if Doherty coached the team, but he wasn't even given a chance to see a freshman - senior class through. Roy stole his title.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The funny thing about that is Doherty recruited all the 04 Carolina players... May... Mccants ect....and was fired in 03 for Roy who stepped in and won the title his 2nd year with Doherty's players. Who knows how the season would have turned out if Doherty coached the team, but he wasn't even given a chance to see a freshman - senior class through. Roy stole his title.

The players hated him, and led the uprising that got him fired. They were threatening to transfer if he didn't get the boot.

Reaction Score
The players hated him, and led the uprising that got him fired. They were threatening to transfer if he didn't get the boot.

If his players hated him, he was not a good coach.

Reaction Score
Bro what language are you speaking. I have an MBA and I can't discern what you're trying to say. Speak English bruh.
I unfortunately read most of your posts from last night on multiple threads. I find it so bizarre/hilarious that somebody who is old enough to have been a season ticket holder for 25+ years and supposedly "trades a derivative book" is up posting at 3 am using words like "slays" and "bruh" on multiple occassions.

Reaction Score

Ollie makes $3m a year, and UConn won a national championship in Ollie's second year, which didn't result in a power conference bid, for obvious reasons.

Reaction Score
I unfortunately read most of your posts from last night on multiple threads. I find it so bizarre/hilarious that somebody who is old enough to have been a season ticket holder for 25+ years and supposedly "trades a derivative book" is up posting at 3 am using words like "slays" and "bruh" on multiple occassions.

I'm gonna go on a limb and state that the specified poster is 18-20 years old.

Reaction Score
Oh please. Ol Roy had won at Kansas and was offered the UNC job when Gutheridge left. He btw was Smith's long time assistant.

But the premise was right. Power programs don't hire unproven coaches with no experience. Another Warde failure. He knew it was the wrong thing to do but lacked the guts to stand up to Calhoun. Oddly enough he also lacked the guts to go all in on Ollie. That guy was a pure and utter disaster for UConn Athletics.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
After so many years of conference realignment in college, along with a hundred threads of follow-up discussion about the subject on our Conference Realignment board, it baffles my mind that people continue to make ridiculous threads like this. Insanity is on the rise on the Boneyard...

Reaction Score
Oh please. Ol Roy had won at Kansas and was offered the UNC job when Gutheridge left. He btw was Smith's long time assistant.

But the premise was right. Power programs don't hire unproven coaches with no experience. Another Warde failure. He knew it was the wrong thing to do but lacked the guts to stand up to Calhoun. Oddly enough he also lacked the guts to go all in on Ollie. That guy was a pure and utter disaster for UConn Athletics.
You should probably let Syracuse know.

Reaction Score

If we had spent the dough to hire a so-called "proven" coach, we don't know what or where we would be. Some of the power house programs you mentioned, have struggled when they have had proven coaches. Some of these proven coaches were ran off because of unrealistic expectations by their programs boosters, fan base, or because some of these coaches got caught up in their own hype and ran into trouble with the schools, NCAA, or the law. Now, coach Ollie might want to mix up his coaching staff a little bit.

Reaction Score

I would not call him an unproven coach per se, but am interested in seeing how Shaka Smart does at Texas. I mean, if he can do half as good as what Rick Barnes did when he first came to Texas. So far so good.

Reaction Score

Williams was offered the job when Guthridge left, but he turned it down. They gave the job to guy with one year as a head coach. As for Ollie, keep in mind that JC set it up to play out like it did, by retiring at a time of year when it would be impossible to land a top flight head coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom