Do established powers hire unproven coaches ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Do established powers hire unproven coaches ?

Reaction Score
The funny thing about that is Doherty recruited all the 04 Carolina players... May... Mccants ect....and was fired in 03 for Roy who stepped in and won the title his 2nd year with Doherty's players. Who knows how the season would have turned out if Doherty coached the team, but he wasn't even given a chance to see a freshman - senior class through. Roy stole his title.
If that's your thinking than Calhoun has four titles and Ollie has zero.

Reaction Score
I unfortunately read most of your posts from last night on multiple threads. I find it so bizarre/hilarious that somebody who is old enough to have been a season ticket holder for 25+ years and supposedly "trades a derivative book" is up posting at 3 am using words like "slays" and "bruh" on multiple occassions.

Well I work around Asian / London hours. Sleep during the day a lot. If you require proof for whatever justification please pm me directly.

Reaction Score
I unfortunately read most of your posts from last night on multiple threads. I find it so bizarre/hilarious that somebody who is old enough to have been a season ticket holder for 25+ years and supposedly "trades a derivative book" is up posting at 3 am using words like "slays" and "bruh" on multiple occassions.

I'm also guessing you don't know to many people that work downtown if you think that words like "bruh" are not used daily or have ever met anyone that works on a trading floor? Probably not.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
How many powerhouses (UNC, Duke, Kansas, UCONN, Kentucky, etc) have replaced retiring coaches with unproven coaches (ala KO) who then kept the program at a high level? Just wondering - serious question that I do not know the answer to. None come to mind.

Example: Dean Smith retires. UNC appoints a man unproven as a head coach. He lasts three years. The team's record (still winning) gets worse each year. When the last of Smith's recruits graduates, his successor is gone and they hire Roy Williams. Sounds familiar.

If UCONN had spent the dough for a coach who had run a successful Division 1 program, I think we would now be in one of the power conferences.
I think we're at the stage where UConn will need higher powers.

220px-Gefiltefish.JPG

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How many powerhouses (UNC, Duke, Kansas, UCONN, Kentucky, etc) have replaced retiring coaches with unproven coaches (ala KO) who then kept the program at a high level? Just wondering - serious question that I do not know the answer to. None come to mind.

Example: Dean Smith retires. UNC appoints a man unproven as a head coach. He lasts three years. The team's record (still winning) gets worse each year. When the last of Smith's recruits graduates, his successor is gone and they hire Roy Williams. Sounds familiar.

If UCONN had spent the dough for a coach who had run a successful Division 1 program, I think we would now be in one of the power conferences.

Jamie Dixon at Pitt. You might not think of them as a powerhouse, but at the time they were strong.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Williams was offered the job when Guthridge left, but he turned it down. They gave the job to guy with one year as a head coach. As for Ollie, keep in mind that JC set it up to play out like it did, by retiring at a time of year when it would be impossible to land a top flight head coach.

Which was, coincidentally, a strategy taught to JC by none other than Dean Smith.

Reaction Score

KO was good enough to be JC's personal choice to groom and advocate to be his successor. KO is coach because of JC and only because of JC.

So if you want to blame someone for why we aren't P5, by your logic, blame JC if you dare. But regardless, you demonstrate no awareness of conference realignment if you think basketball had a single thing to do with our AAC purgatory. We have the greatest CR source on the internet right here on the BY and people still post inane crap like this. Like a frequenter of the Congressional Library who thinks the world is flat. Sad!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
KO was good enough to be JC's personal choice to groom and advocate to be his successor. KO is coach because of JC and only because of JC.

So if you want to blame someone for why we aren't P5, by your logic, blame JC if you dare. But regardless, you demonstrate no awareness of conference realignment if you think basketball had a single thing to do with our AAC purgatory. We have the greatest CR source on the internet right here on the BY and people still post inane crap like this. Like a frequenter of the Congressional Library who thinks the world is flat. Sad!
Remember how Kansas, despite their great tradition, was in danger of being left at the curb when it looked like the B12 might crumble a few years ago. Of course, the discussed solution, which would have joined the remaining BE football schools with the B12 leftovers, might have been better for UConn than what actually happened.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Ollie has been given at least 4 years now to see a full class through.
these seniors weren't the ones he can get, they were what he could at the time with all the bs. people said after '14 he couldnt recruit and he's proved them wrong. don't forget Hamilton leaving threw off a lot of what he had planned. he still had issues with calhoun and the ncaa. I would say either jalens year or alteriques year should be the starting point. This is the first year he may not get to 20 wins which he has in every season as coach since he's been here. he also has a NC (a lot of more experienced coaches don't have one or just have one) and a conference tourney and is doing a rgeat job recruiting... Also remember Ollie never coached before UConn, he's still learning and doing a great job. I do believe that if everyone was healthy he would've fixed things by december beginning of january and we wouldnt be worrying about being in the tourney... maybe bring in someone who can help him offensively a bit and move glen to a position where he can deal with all the other stuff and let ollie coach

Reaction Score
If I am not mistaken, Ollie is the one that convinced Shabazz to stay another year, had Ollie not been hired, we probably don't win NC 4.

Anyways the OP is stupid and these coaching threads are getting tiresome.

Reaction Score
Williams was offered the job when Guthridge left, but he turned it down. They gave the job to guy with one year as a head coach. As for Ollie, keep in mind that JC set it up to play out like it did, by retiring at a time of year when it would be impossible to land a top flight head coach.

I was living in KC at the time he turned it down and ol Roy said Ali was the only place he wanted to be - that nearly got him killed in Lawrence when he accepted the UNC job.

Reaction Score
If I am not mistaken, Ollie is the one that convinced Shabazz to stay another year, had Ollie not been hired, we probably don't win NC 4.

Anyways the OP is stupid and these coaching threads are getting tiresome.

Shabazz wasn't getting drafted albeit a late 2nd round pick after his junior year. If only Daniel Hamilton followed Shabazz's lead and stayed another year he probably would have been a first round pick this year in a weak draft class and wouldn't be making minimum wage in the D league. Also we probably make the tournament if he returns.

Reaction Score
Y
Shabazz wasn't getting drafted albeit a late 2nd round pick after his junior year. If only Daniel Hamilton followed Shabazz's lead and stayed another year he probably would have been a first round pick this year in a weak draft class and wouldn't be making minimum wage in the D league. Also we probably make the tournament if he returns.[/QU

Yes, but he could have transferred to pretty much anywhere and played immediately like Oriaki and Roscoe did. Ollie was able to keep the nucleus of the team together facing a post season ban.

Reaction Score
I'm also guessing you don't know to many people that work downtown if you think that words like "bruh" are not used daily or have ever met anyone that works on a trading floor? Probably not.
Who provides the electronic trading technology to most of the broker/dealers these days on the buy side/sell side?

Reaction Score
I think William Shea may have resurfaced.

Was he posting on multiple smart phones?

Reaction Score
Who provides the electronic trading technology to most of the broker/dealers these days on the buy side/sell side?

A lot of the firms use in house technology. Also every asset class uses something different. Our firm uses a number of diff platforms. TT for commod futures, RTS, CQG, WhenTech for options market making. We have some proprietary platforms for FX equities and rates. Not sure what the bond guys use?

Reaction Score
Mike Davis at Indiana and we all know how that ended after a couple good seasons. Ugly! I hope history doesn't repeat itself here at UCONN. I give KO one more year to prove himself and that means getting to the tourney and wining a game or 2.

Reaction Score
Shabazz wasn't getting drafted albeit a late 2nd round pick after his junior year. If only Daniel Hamilton followed Shabazz's lead and stayed another year he probably would have been a first round pick this year in a weak draft class and wouldn't be making minimum wage in the D league. Also we probably make the tournament if he returns.

Don't want to rain on your fire KO parade....but last year was one of the weaker draft classes in a while.....while this year seems to be one of the deeper ones

Reaction Score
Don't want to rain on your fire KO parade....but last year was one of the weaker draft classes in a while.....while this year seems to be one of the deeper ones

I never once posted that I want Ollie fired. I'm not happy with the results the past 3 seasons and neither should any of you. We're a 70 foot prayer from missing 3 straight tournaments. I've said numerous times, if we have another year next year that resembles this one than yes... I would hope we find a replacement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom