Do college coaches go to the NBA any more? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Do college coaches go to the NBA any more?

Reaction Score
It's fine to go for it if you're Mike Montgomery or Leonard Hamilton but I never understood the guys who are on their way to legend status in college leaving. I thought it was insane that Calhoun ever even entertained it...

All those things you pointed out are why it's crazy to leave. Unlimited job security vs. no job security. The superstars don't run things on your team. You don't answer to anyone. It's your roster and your rules. You're the most popular person at your University and often times in your state and if you're incredibly successful you reach legend status. The top college coaches always got more shine and fame than the top NBA coaches. Outside of Riley and Phil Jackson who even really pays attention to pro coaches? And even in their cases it was all about Jordan and Magic. Maybe Pop and Kerr in modern days?
Yeah I agree with that. College coaches are definitely more well known than NBA coaches. I couldn’t even name more than 3 current NBA coaches. I could rattle off probably 75 current college coaches without skipping a beat.

The average casual basketball fan definitely knows Self, Izzo, Pitino, Calipari, and now Hurley definitely has his name in that crowd. They probably couldn’t name anyone beyond Kerr and Popovich (I barely can)

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
No I don't. Calipari years ago maybe.

Pitino would always get offers because he's a coaching genius but he left the best job he ever had in his mid 40's.
What about Drew/Hurley/Self?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Squid failed
Pitino failed
Calhoun knew better, as did K and Wright
Donavan has not been good to date, still trying

Larry Brown won at both levels

Coaching in college and coaching in the pros requires different skills. And it's not about Xs & Os so much. It's about roster management dealing with kids trying to grow vs egotistical pros who make a lot more than you. They're worlds apart

In college you get fired if you lose. In the pros get fired if you lose and / or if some player doesn't like you

Reaction Score
Just an observation, but it seems like a lot of good college coaches savor their careers because a big part of what they do is act as a surrogate family for the players during their time in college.

That same college experience can’t be replicated in the NBA.

Reaction Score
I am scrolling through bios on NBA head coaches. I see TWO total former head D1 coaches: Snyder was at Missouri for 6 years, and of course Billy Donovan was a beast at Florida and UK.

There are way more coaches working their way up from player development and the G-league than college coaches making the jump. Makes me wonder if there's really even a place for talented college coaches in the league any more.

It's an entirely different culture, game, and even way of living. One of the biggest parts of being a college coach is recruiting talent, and that is nowhere on an NBA job description. Much less player development too.

I figured one more off-season thread couldn't hurt. Thoughts?
When did Billy coach at Kentucky?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think Cal will go at some point. Jay Wright turned down the 76ers if I’m remembering correctly. Coach K I believe turned down some teams. Self seems satisfied at KU. It would need to be someone like Scott Drew or Dan next imo.
Calipari did go to the pros coaching the Nets and the 76ers. Pitino did his stint in the pros as well coaching the Celts. Getting there is not as hard as staying there.

I suspect Hurley will go eventually. He's on record a few times with saying that that is a goal for him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I actually think that somone like Mcdermott could be a good NBA coach. That said its alot harder and you dont get to just have better players

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Think you guys are overrating job security. It's important if you're working a 9-6 email job, sure. Being a basketball coach getting paid millions of dollars...not so much.

I actually wonder why most guys would want to stay in college. Having to fly all over the country and text 16 years constantly to "show love" when you could just be coaching basketball? This is even more true in the NIL world.

The insane drive is what makes these guys so successful, why wouldn't you want to give it a shot in the most competitive basketball league in the world?

Reaction Score
I actually wonder why most guys would want to stay in college. Having to fly all over the country and text 16 years constantly to "show love" when you could just be coaching basketball? This is even more true in the NIL world.

I agree - I was surprised someone thought the quality of life favors college. Popp is not sitting in a high school gym in South Carolina in July and then jumping on a plane to sit in some other dumpy gym the next day. He's drinking ten bottles of wine and falling asleep on a boat off Positano.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I agree - I was surprised someone thought the quality of life favors college. Popp is not sitting in a high school gym in South Carolina in July and then jumping on a plane to sit in some other dumpy gym the next day. He's drinking ten bottles of wine and falling asleep on a boat off Positano.

Right and not to mention instead of flying cross country to play in podunk college towns (less so in the Big East to be fair), you're flying to NYC, Miami, Chicago, LA, etc.

Not that these guys are taking duck boat tours in Boston but they are probably staying at the fanciest of accomodations and dining at the best spots in those respective cities.

Reaction Score
Coach K was doing the same thing Pop is doing.

Reaction Score
Call me an optimist but I think Hurley leaves UConn when he’s done coaching. I think the NBA is what he wanted but I think hell realize he’s at the perfect spot who he is

Reaction Score
Great example.
You picked the most well known coach in the NBA in the very twilight of his career, coach K was the most well known coach in the very twilight of his career. Neither guy is/was doing anything they didn't want to be doing and they're both sitting on boatloads of cash.

Reaction Score
You picked the most well known coach in the NBA in the very twilight of his career, coach K was the most well known coach in the very twilight of his career. Neither guy is/was doing anything they didn't want to be doing and they're both sitting on boatloads of cash.

Fair enough: the average NBA coach has a much better, more comfortable lifestyle than the average college coach. That's my take.

Reaction Score
Just poking through salaries... Hurley makes a hair over 5 million right now. That would put him around middle-of-the-pack from what I can see in the NBA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom