Diverse and deep team | The Boneyard

Diverse and deep team

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
While tonight's game wasn't perfect by any means (a few stretches of sloppiness leading to Iona runs), I actually feel better about the team overall.

Why? This team has a lot of different weapons and has shown they can score and win in a variety of ways.

Tonight, Adams and Bouk didn't do much off the bench, but both have shown they can fill it up.

Carlton was consistently a beast tonight (19 pts/14 reb/4 blk) after being somewhat inconsistent.

Polley lit it up from deep tonight after having a few quiet games.

CV and AG struggled early in the year, especially against Xavier... but both played great tonight, especially AG dictating the game (12 pts, 10 ast, 5 reb, 1 TO).

Akok was somewhat quiet tonight, but did so many little things and oozes offensive potential like he showed versus Buffalo in the first half.

On a night with mixed player performances, we still won very comfortably against a solid veteran team.

Offensively, we've got legitimately 7 different guys who have shown they can easily get to double figures any given night. Match-ups, fouls, player rotations, and our opponent's style will end up dictating who goes off.

Although the team looks most comfortable high-tempo, running in transition... I still feel confident the team can score when we slow things down and run some sets to generate quality looks.

The team has shown they can score effectively vs man and vs zone.

After 3 years of offensively-challenged teams, this group is a breath of fresh air. Suddenly UConn has many diverse offensive weapons that can score in lots of different ways (drives, threes, paint, mid-range, etc) and different tempos.

We're a well-rounded and deep team. They also have a good mix of youth and experience. Our defense has been great for stretches. We just need to play more consistently and stay focused and disciplined to not jack-up bad shots.

This team is much better than I thought they'd be, especially this early on.

IU @ MSG will be a great test. Excited to see how the rest of the year plays out. UConn basketball is FUN to watch again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Adams is a decent 3rd option, garbage or wide open look type of scorer. He's not someone we'll look to go get his own shot and fill it up.

Carlton's not a beast in my book. He's not a fast jumper and his inability to get that one bucket against Xavier will be seared into my brain.

Anyway, as long as all our guys are playing within themselves and for each other, we have a good chance to make the NCAA's. Not bad for DH's year 2 blueprint.

Can't wait for IU at MSG

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think we’ve had 8 different guys score in double figures though 8 games. Pretty good. Loved when Hurley hockey subs

Reaction Score
Carlton had a change in attitude tonight and went to the rim come hell or high water. Yes he lacks certain jumping skills, but he has good touch and tip back ones on misses. Agee is a good player he was up against. We ain't going anywhere without him.

Reaction Score
Adams is a decent 3rd option, garbage or wide open look type of scorer. He's not someone we'll look to go get his own shot and fill it up.

Carlton's not a beast in my book. He's not a fast jumper and his inability to get that one bucket against Xavier will be seared into my brain.

Anyway, as long as all our guys are playing within themselves and for each other, we have a good chance to make the NCAA's. Not bad for DH's year 2 blueprint.

Can't wait for IU at MSG

Carlton had 19 and 14 to go along with 4 blocks. Yes, that is a beast. I will take that from our center every game from now until the end of time.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Although the team looks most comfortable high-tempo, running in transition... I still feel confident the team can score when we slow things down and run some sets to generate quality looks.
This is one of the two things I like best about the progression from seasons past. If we have to run a set offense, we've actually looked competent doing it both against a zone and man to man. The set offense can definitely look better, but it's way better than the last several seasons.

The second thing is that defense looks far better. They can actually ratchet up the defense without fouling and generally take lesser teams out of their game. Can we do that against better teams is the question.[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score
This is one of the two things I like best about the progression from seasons past. If we have to run a set offense, we've actually looked competent doing it both against a zone and man to man. The set offense can definitely look better, but it's way better than the last several seasons.

The second thing is that defense looks far better. They can actually ratchet up the defense without fouling and generally take lesser teams out of their game. Can we do that against better teams is the question.
[/QUOTE]
We played Xavier. Their a better team.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Carlton had a change in attitude tonight and went to the rim come hell or high water. Yes he lacks certain jumping skills, but he has good touch and tip back ones on misses. Agee is a good player he was up against. We ain't going anywhere without him.
I thought he was going to pull the whole basket over tonight.

He’s big and strong enough where he doesn’t need to be a great leaper once he figures out how to use his body to get in position where he can’t be blocked.

Last edited:

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I thought he was going to pull the whole basket over tonight.

He’s big and strong enough where he doesn’t need to be a great leader once he figures out how to use his body to get in position where he can’t be blocked.

He did that tonight... Much more assertive with the ball. Without the ball he established a low-post position closer to the basket setting him up for success when he got the ball.

Reaction Score
This team is all on the same page. They play defense good enough now to give them the confidence that they can stay in the game with anyone.This good defense is what made our great teams .
Something happened in S C.

Reaction Score
What I would give for a 6-10 230 lb guy coming off the bench. Whaley has 5 fouls to give. Carton has to play smart and Hurley needs to keep him fresh, there's still a long way to go

Reaction Score

Xavier was the first time that Carlton faced an elite defensive team that decided to double him. He learned a lot and it is probably seared into his brain as well. He has looked much better against the double team since then. I suspect he will continue to improve that aspect of his game.

If he's not a beast, he is, at the very least, a handful.

Reaction Score
Carlton is a beast. The dudes 6'11 260 of absolute muscle and mass. He will prove to all these boneyard doubters that I keep on coming across that he will be our most important player this season especially when conference play starts. It's all about finding him early touches and getting him early points so he gets the ball rolling for the rest of the game.

Reaction Score
Carlton is a beast. The dudes 6'11 260 of absolute muscle and mass. He will prove to all these boneyard doubters that I keep on coming across that he will be our most important player this season especially when conference play starts. It's all about finding him early touches and getting him early points so he gets the ball rolling for the rest of the game.
Carlton was a mini- beast against Iona bit how soon we forget how weak and slow footed he was against Maine. I agree that he is a pivotal player in our success as the season moves along. He has certainly made strides each season but still has a looong way to go before he's penciled in the starting lineup without any worries. He's way to up and down to be counted on night in and night out but this is already season 3 and Tuesday night the lights will shine bright for Josh to make a major statement at MSG!

Reaction Score
Carlton was a mini- beast against Iona bit how soon we forget how weak and slow footed he was against Maine. I agree that he is a pivotal player in our success as the season moves along. He has certainly made strides each season but still has a looong way to go before he's penciled in the starting lineup without any worries. He's way to up and down to be counted on night in and night out but this is already season 3 and Tuesday night the lights will shine bright for Josh to make a major statement at MSG!
Carlton matching up with Trayce Jackson Davis will be very interesting! Great freshman. You are right, this is Carlton's big opportunity to stamp authority in a big game. Can't wait

Reaction Score
Carlton had 19 and 14 to go along ex with 4 blocks. Yes, that is a beast. I will take that from our center every game from now untile consistency. the end of time.
If he did that every game he would be a first round pick this year. He doesn’t need to get 19 and 14 every game but he needs to be a threat to do that and gain more consistency

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom