Disparity between Men's and Women's AGAIN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Disparity between Men's and Women's AGAIN

Reaction Score
I love UConn women's basketball and haven't missed a game since the Rebecca Lobo era. That being said when I hear complaints about the disparity between men's and women's basketball and I see blatant amateur TV productions like having the score assigned to the wrong team I just shake my head and go why? Here look at this:

1637449939504.png

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I love UConn women's basketball and haven't missed a game since the Rebecca Lobo era. That being said when I hear complaints about the disparity between men's and women's basketball and I see blatant amateur TV productions like having the score assigned to the wrong team I just shake my head and go why? Here look at this:

View attachment 71191
Are you trying to downplay that historical UConn comeback?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
At least UConn and Syracuse's Athletic Departments know that their women's teams can "offset" the $1857 player expense (plus all the other travel/room/board costs) with the $110K that their men's teams will receive.

Reaction Score
How about paying the men 55000 and the women 55000. They already have the money to do that.
Look, I’m all for never seeing another situation like last March where there was a clear disparity in how the NCAA treated the women vs the men. That was clearly unfair and should have (and did) embarrass the NCAA. That should never happen! The appearance/salaries money however, is a completely different situation. If, in the 80s, someone promoted a concert and had the Eagles and the Bangles appear, clearly the Eagles would be paid far more than the Bangles! Why? Sexism? I don’t think so. The Eagles generated far more revenue than the Bangles. That is simply a fact and the promoter is going to pay the band that generates more ticket sales commensurately! Why? Because he/she is in the business to make money. Men’s basketball generates far more money than women’s basketball! As long as it does, the respective payouts will reflect that. I happen to like the women’s game better but all you have to do is compare film of the respective parades for the NBA champion Bucks vs that of the WNBA Sky. There is not even remotely the same interest level between the two sports. The NBA generates billions, the WNBA cannot even break even!
If UConn and South Carolina meet in the final, I'm guessing that ESPN and the tournament will make major bucks. Is UConn men's team really such a big draw compared with Coach Geno's team that they are paid to show up, while the women's team has to pay to get there? I'm guessing not.
Here again we have a situation where you twice say that you are “guessing”! You (or I) clearly have no idea what the real figures are. Yet you act as though, based on your guess, something grossly unfair is happening. Now I don’t know about individual team revenue differences and I would concede that there are a few women’s teams that clearly, at the very least, appear to be competitive in terms of drawing fans etc and perhaps are being unfairly recompensed. However, there are probably only 5-10 of like that in the entire country! I would agree that in those cases, something is wrong. However, it’s not even clear to me that those 5-10 are suffering some kind of funding bias as I don’t know how the revenue stream works in college basketball. Do the women get to put all their revenue back into the women’s program? I don’t know. The problem is, some people think that there should be equal opportunity while others want equal outcome. It is not hard to guess which group would be made up of people who run businesses and whose livelihoods are based on the bottom line and which group would be made up of people who simply are looking for a desired outcome regardless of who has to pay for it.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
A quote from CT Insider:

Per UConn’s contracts with the event, the men’s team will take in $110,000 for its appearance — a $75,000 appearance fee (paid in three increments of $25,000), a $25,000 travel stipend and up to $10,000 in meals. But the women’s team must actually pay $1,857 per person in the travel party.

I just can't believe this.

NCAA Men’s vs Women’s Basketball: Attendance​

Who Has the Most Average Fans? Men’s or Women’s College Basketball?​

NCAA Men’s Division I basketball has 351 total teams, with 5364 total games. Average attendance in 2019 was 4659 per game/session. Total attendance for the athletic term was 27,001,383.

NCAA Women’s Division I basketball has a total of 349 total teams, with 5241 total games. Average attendance in 2019 was 1625 per game/session. Total attendance for the athletic term was 8,634,112 – an all-time record.

From the 2019 numbers, both men’s and women’s attendance are buoyed by major colleges/universities and the NCAA Tournament.

Which Has the Higher Ticket Price, NCAA Men’s or Women’s Basketball?​

Ticket prices vary by college and university across the United States. It should also be taken into consideration that at certain colleges and universities, tickets are distributed freely to students by a lottery system.

For the 2021 Men’s NCAA March Madness Tournament, the average ticket price is around $143. This is down from previous years where the average ticket price floated around $250.

The women’s numbers are less available, as the NCAA does not release specific numbers regarding the revenues and operating costs of the women’s basketball tournament. At the moment, resale tickets for the 2021 women’s tournament begin at $195.

NCAA Men’s vs Women’s Basketball: Ratings​

Who Has Better Television Ratings?​

Ratings for the NCAA regular season fall in the favor of the men’s side of NCAA Basketball. But further inspection into the NCAA Tournament as a whole yields interesting results.

Ratings for the 2019 women’s Final Four (3.6 million) were comparable to the top NCAA men’s regular-season games during the 2020-2021 season. Since 2016, viewership for the NCAA women’s final has increased by 24%.

Conclusion: The Men’s Game Is Big, but the Women’s Game Is Growing​

As it has been for the majority of NCAA Basketball history, the men’s game has dominated the women’s game in terms of revenue and viewership. However, recent trends over the past ten years have shown that the women’s game is growing at a steady pace.

While the COVID-19 pandemic has halted a lot of growth for NCAA sports across the board, the overall trends are positive for the women’s game. Improving the game by creating equal opportunity across all NCAA sports, not just basketball, for athletes of any gender, race, or creed is an initiative that can only help the growth of the college game.

The men’s 2019 NCAA March Madness Tournament averaged 10.5 million viewers.

Reaction Score
UConn needs to find a new team of negotiators to handle WBB broadcast rights. They need to dump Flo-Hoops and SNY and get a more "with it" network.

Reaction Score
There are different kinds of parity. Some are needed immediately because the conditions are unfair and plain wrong as we learned during the NCAA Tourney last season and many other examples of treating women as second class citizens.

Other types of parity must be earned. If it is forced on an organization, it won’t work. Atlantis is an example. The income (profits) derived from this event will be from the Men’s side. They deserve the bigger share. I’m glad the Women were invited and chose to participate. It’s an opportunity to display the quality of their game and prove that they can grow to the point where they have earned the right to share the spoils equally.
Well said!

Reaction Score

NCAA Men’s vs Women’s Basketball: Attendance​

Who Has the Most Average Fans? Men’s or Women’s College Basketball?​

NCAA Men’s Division I basketball has 351 total teams, with 5364 total games. Average attendance in 2019 was 4659 per game/session. Total attendance for the athletic term was 27,001,383.

NCAA Women’s Division I basketball has a total of 349 total teams, with 5241 total games. Average attendance in 2019 was 1625 per game/session. Total attendance for the athletic term was 8,634,112 – an all-time record.

From the 2019 numbers, both men’s and women’s attendance are buoyed by major colleges/universities and the NCAA Tournament.

Which Has the Higher Ticket Price, NCAA Men’s or Women’s Basketball?​

Ticket prices vary by college and university across the United States. It should also be taken into consideration that at certain colleges and universities, tickets are distributed freely to students by a lottery system.

For the 2021 Men’s NCAA March Madness Tournament, the average ticket price is around $143. This is down from previous years where the average ticket price floated around $250.

The women’s numbers are less available, as the NCAA does not release specific numbers regarding the revenues and operating costs of the women’s basketball tournament. At the moment, resale tickets for the 2021 women’s tournament begin at $195.

NCAA Men’s vs Women’s Basketball: Ratings​

Who Has Better Television Ratings?​

Ratings for the NCAA regular season fall in the favor of the men’s side of NCAA Basketball. But further inspection into the NCAA Tournament as a whole yields interesting results.

Ratings for the 2019 women’s Final Four (3.6 million) were comparable to the top NCAA men’s regular-season games during the 2020-2021 season. Since 2016, viewership for the NCAA women’s final has increased by 24%.

Conclusion: The Men’s Game Is Big, but the Women’s Game Is Growing​

As it has been for the majority of NCAA Basketball history, the men’s game has dominated the women’s game in terms of revenue and viewership. However, recent trends over the past ten years have shown that the women’s game is growing at a steady pace.

While the COVID-19 pandemic has halted a lot of growth for NCAA sports across the board, the overall trends are positive for the women’s game. Improving the game by creating equal opportunity across all NCAA sports, not just basketball, for athletes of any gender, race, or creed is an initiative that can only help the growth of the college game.

The men’s 2019 NCAA March Madness Tournament averaged 10.5 million viewers.
Why are they comparing the women’s Final Four games to the men’s regular season games? This kind of fudging doesn’t help! What relevance is a comparison when you cherry pick the numbers and don’t even compare the same thing?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
UConn needs to find a new team of negotiators to handle WBB broadcast rights. They need to dump Flo-Hoops and SNY and get a more "with it" network.
I'm pretty sure that UConn has no say in the broadcast rights for a tournament that they are invited to participate in.
And how is SNY not "with it"? By arranging for out-of-market fans to watch the games live when SNY signed up with Fox Sports and NBC Sports to stream their games for free. They at least realized that streaming was becoming more popular as every day passed and most every major tv provider includes FS1 as part of their basic tv channels.
I will admit that missing the pregame, halftime and post-game shows is a downside to the Fox Sports streaming but I personally didn't watch them when I had SNY, so...
BTW, what is your idea of a "with it" network that is available nationwide?

Reaction Score
A quote from CT Insider:

Per UConn’s contracts with the event, the men’s team will take in $110,000 for its appearance — a $75,000 appearance fee (paid in three increments of $25,000), a $25,000 travel stipend and up to $10,000 in meals. But the women’s team must actually pay $1,857 per person in the travel party.

I just can't believe this.

The media money supporting the tourneys for the guys coming from ESPN is no doubt many, many times the women's media money coming from Flo plus ESPN only for the final.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom