Disparity between Men's and Women's AGAIN | The Boneyard

Disparity between Men's and Women's AGAIN

Reaction Score
A quote from CT Insider:

Per UConn’s contracts with the event, the men’s team will take in $110,000 for its appearance — a $75,000 appearance fee (paid in three increments of $25,000), a $25,000 travel stipend and up to $10,000 in meals. But the women’s team must actually pay $1,857 per person in the travel party.

I just can't believe this.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
A quote from CT Insider:

Per UConn’s contracts with the event, the men’s team will take in $110,000 for its appearance — a $75,000 appearance fee (paid in three increments of $25,000), a $25,000 travel stipend and up to $10,000 in meals. But the women’s team must actually pay $1,857 per person in the travel party.

Just what part don't you believe. The business part of college basketball is real.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Well..I strongly expect that UConn would be delighted to get paid big bucks for the women to play here.
My bet is that the hosts who are putting on the games wouldn't agree to that. The TV money going to the hosts for the women seem to be from the Flo network...the men's games are on espn...my guess is that the amount is substantially more than the amount from Flo.
Of course UConn did not have to agree with the financial arrangements for the women and simply not go.
I'm glad they are there...and if their impact in this event shows that money can indeed follow this program then next time they travel to the area maybe negotiations will be more favorable to them.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Well..I strongly expect that UConn would be delighted to get paid big bucks for the women to play here.
My bet is that the hosts who are putting on the games wouldn't agree to that. The TV money going to the hosts for the women seem to be from the Flo network...the men's games are on espn...my guess is that the amount is substantially more than the amount from Flo.
Of course UConn did not have to agree with the financial arrangements for the women and simply not go.
I'm glad they are there...and if their impact in this event shows that money can indeed follow this program then next time they travel to the area maybe negotiations will be more favorable to them.
Well said! I'm glad they went too.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Paige discussing the incremental progress are making now that Women were invited for the first time

“Just piggy-backing off last year in the women’s (NCAA) tournament you sorta saw the inequity in how the men got treated and how the women got treated so for this to be the first women’s tournament is huge that we’re gonna be a part of that,” Bueckers said. “It’s a step forward in the right direction in terms of Title IX and equity for women in sports and I think that’s really important.”

Reaction Score
The people running the event have to make money. They surely are not non profit like NCAA, which is why NCAA received criticism last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The people running the event have to make money. They surely are not non profit like NCAA, which is why NCAA received criticism last year.
Not if they have corporate sponsors.

Reaction Score
Not if they have corporate sponsors.

You think there are enough sponsors to go from paying 1700 per person to then not paying anything but receiving 110,000 for coming? This is not the only holiday tournament so if there are some other tournaments offering much better deals then please tell David Benedict. Its most likely money from television companies. ESPN is going to pay big bucks and you think Flohoops has the same money? No way

Reaction Score
You think there are enough sponsors to go from paying 1700 per person to then not paying anything but receiving 110,000 for coming? This is not the only holiday tournament so if there are some other tournaments offering much better deals then please tell David Benedict. Its most likely money from television companies. ESPN is going to pay big bucks and you think Flohoops has the same money? No way
How about paying the men 55000 and the women 55000. They already have the money to do that.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
How about paying the men 55000 and the women 55000. They already have the money to do that.
Well for starters, if they did that they wouldn't get the same caliber of men's teams. Which means they wouldn't have the $ to pay out. It's the men's teams that draw in sponsors and their $. But you already knew that.

Reaction Score
A quote from CT Insider:

Was it better when this tournament only included men’s teams?

Reaction Score
Paige discussing the incremental progress are making now that Women were invited for the first time

“Just piggy-backing off last year in the women’s (NCAA) tournament you sorta saw the inequity in how the men got treated and how the women got treated so for this to be the first women’s tournament is huge that we’re gonna be a part of that,” Bueckers said. “It’s a step forward in the right direction in terms of Title IX and equity for women in sports and I think that’s really important.”
Big difference. The NCAA is "supposed" to be for the benefit of the atheletes. They blew it with inequity. They are supposed to be fixing that. The current tournament ism a business proposition and the men's game makes more money. Don't confuse equity with equality. If you were in the business of holding this tournament, you spend more to get good mens teams.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Was it better when this tournament only included men’s teams?
If you are a men's basketball fan you would say yes or no difference. If you are a women's basketball fan you would say no.

Reaction Score
There are different kinds of parity. Some are needed immediately because the conditions are unfair and plain wrong as we learned during the NCAA Tourney last season and many other examples of treating women as second class citizens.

Other types of parity must be earned. If it is forced on an organization, it won’t work. Atlantis is an example. The income (profits) derived from this event will be from the Men’s side. They deserve the bigger share. I’m glad the Women were invited and chose to participate. It’s an opportunity to display the quality of their game and prove that they can grow to the point where they have earned the right to share the spoils equally.

Reaction Score
Well for starters, if they did that they wouldn't get the same caliber of men's teams. Which means they wouldn't have the $ to pay out. It's the men's teams that draw in sponsors and their $. But you already knew that.
I know it’s not reality. I’ve reached the Don Quixote stage in life, when one dreams about the Impossible Dream.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
I know it’s not reality. I’ve reached the Don Quixote stage in life, when one dreams about the Impossible Dream.
Ahhh! I can relate to that! I see windmills every where I go.

Reaction Score

Wonder if the women's team isn't generating far more viewership and ad revenue during this tournament that they have to pay to participate, compared with UConn men. Keep in mind that the NCAA has been exposed as artificially deflating the revenue generated by women's basketball. This tournament as well?

Reaction Score
Wonder if the women's team isn't generating far more viewership and ad revenue during this tournament that they have to pay to participate, compared with UConn men. Keep in mind that the NCAA has been exposed as artificially deflating the revenue generated by women's basketball. This tournament as well?
What viewership and ad revenue? Almost no one saw the game.

Atlantis will get some money from ESPN broadcasting the final, perhaps a small amount from FloHoops, and the rest comes from fans coming to the island and spending money.

Reaction Score
What viewership and ad revenue? Almost no one saw the game.

Atlantis will get some money from ESPN broadcasting the final, perhaps a small amount from FloHoops, and the rest comes from fans coming to the island and spending money.

Flo-Sports sells its game feed, right? That's viewership. That's revenue.

Reaction Score

If UConn and South Carolina meet in the final, I'm guessing that ESPN and the tournament will make major bucks. Is UConn men's team really such a big draw compared with Coach Geno's team that they are paid to show up, while the women's team has to pay to get there? I'm guessing not.

Reaction Score
Flo-Sports sells its game feed, right? That's viewership. That's revenue.
1) I would be surprised if more than 1000 people watched the game.
2) FloSports likely paid a small fee to Atlantis for broadcasting rights. The revenue from signups would go to FloSports.

Reaction Score
A quote from CT Insider:

The women’s games are on flosports. That should tell you all you need to know about interest level.

Reaction Score
FYI when the Men started the tournament it was on axstv and I was fortunate to have dish at the time, but it was not on att.

Reaction Score
If UConn and South Carolina meet in the final, I'm guessing that ESPN and the tournament will make major bucks. Is UConn men's team really such a big draw compared with Coach Geno's team that they are paid to show up, while the women's team has to pay to get there? I'm guessing not.
If UConn and South Carolina play, it will be a noon game on a Monday on ESPN Ocho. Probably won't get much attention to be honest. Plus there's not really an opportunity for them to promote the game given the matchup won't be known until tomorrow night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom