Disdain for AO | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Disdain for AO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The part that irks me the most is him texting Pressey in the UConn locker-room immediately after the tournament loss to try to team up. If a players first reaction following a devastating loss like that is to figure out how they're going to leave, I really have to question his commitment. As I suspected, it sure seems like Alex checked out last season and was half way out the door by January.

I will always be grateful for the championship, but his actions the past 12 months sure makes him hard to root for.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
All I know, is I got my ass handed to me for bad mouthing AO last year, ya'll were ruthless, now everyone has their glasses on, lol

Reaction Score
I honestly hope Roscoe makes it to the NBA. I don't think he will because of his poor basketball IQ and low shooting percentage, but I'm rooting for a kid that I think just made a bad decision to transfer.

Alex, on the other hand? I'm grateful for him helping us win a title, but I'm still hoping he never makes the NBA and has to rely on his "degree" to make it in the real world like the rest of us. I'd love to see how fast his father turns on him once he realizes he's no longer a meal ticket.

Reaction Score
It takes a unique type of person, not basketball player, to do well and grow under Calhoun's guidance. Coach would often tell kids that when he was recruiting them. AO was not that type of person and as Calhouns frustration grew, AO sunk to new lows in confidence and performance. I dont fault him for that. I dont fault him for leaving. But he needs to put it behind him, like we boneyarders do, and simply shut the hell up. AO needs to man up and accept his decisions and actions. .........oh, and one last thing, maybe he and his father should look at the track record of those who remained with Calhoun vs those who butted heads and left the program.

Reaction Score
What bothers me is that during a game in the tourney he's thinking about his transferring options. Maybe if he focused on the task at hand they don't get bounced in the first round. Then to text Pressey in the locker room immediately after shows no class.

Reaction Score
Why does anybody care about AO? The next generation of UConn BB has to start. Boo AO at next alumni game if he shows. Who cares. He helped get us a NC that was never expected. Fine. It's time to move on. Like the girls, only NCs count. It's Ollie time!
Do you really think he is coming to the alumni game? What ... are you smoking. the game is for players who love it @ Uconn, not for haters.

Reaction Score
I hate to bash an ex-player and I have never in the past. However, AO is a cancer from the body language he had on the court all the way to the off court stuff with his father. What a selfish player he was to be thinking about transferring during an NCAA tournament game if this is true. He was lucky to have played with Kemba, because Kemba made him look better than he really was. Kemba did this with alot of players. AO has no hands and dropped so many passes. He never developed from his freshman year. I thank him for his service, especailly the NC year but what he turned into as a complainer is ridiculous. He will look back someday and realize he acted like a spoiled baby. However, if your father is blaming others for your situation you will never take responsibility for the things you did and you failed to do as a player and person. I wish him luck, but have a feeling he will be blaming others later on this year at Mizzou!

Reaction Score
AO is an immature kid who additionally gets bad direction. He was a big part of an NC team here so why not take the high road as 'adults' and wish him the best? If he grows up and gets better advice he just may be able to make a living out of basketball.
I know someone very well who works in the front office of a NBA team in player developement. His view on Oriakhi having a NBA career...slim to none leaning to the none side. Too soft in the blocks, can't rebound, takes himself out of a game becoming invisible for long stretches...VERY limited offensively

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
AO and his pop are in for quite the shock when AO probably won't get drafted after this year...

...and they'll still blame Calhoun

Reaction Score
That could summarize his Uconn career. How much better did he look with a guy like Kemba getting double teams?

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I mean does he have a single post move beyond spinning around and going up with both hands before fumbling the ball/hitting the bottom of the rim?

Reaction Score
I don't get your point here. Coaches have no duty of loyalty whatsoever to the players who have committed to play for them, and they act accordingly. They jump at better offers all the time and leave the kids they recruited behind. Why shouldn't the kids be able to do the same?

I don't mind players transferring but for God sake leave in a dignified manner. When coaches leave they don't say that their players are no talent and lazy. Everyone has a right to look out for their own well being.

In the USA article paraphasing Michigan forward 'sometimes it's people who aren't willing to work or just earn what they want. They think it should be handed to them."

Shut the he** up Oriachki show a little class if you have any.

caw

Reaction Score
I have no problem with players transferring. It's part of the game right now. In a bubble, a player like Alex is well within his rights to transfer. Heck, if he kept his yapper shut and told his dad to keep his shut, many UConn fans would probably still wish him well. He's only a victim of being the son of his father.

As for the NBA, he could make a team as a 12th man, but he needs to change his attitude a lot to even do that. I'm not sure Haith was the best option if he wanted to make the NBA.

Reaction Score
Nice to see where AO head was at during the season and im really not surprised. Like other posters have said I have no problem with him transferring it happens all the time but try leaving with an once of class. Once Kemba left AO (and AO Sr) put himself above the program, the great ones here have never done that. Its time to move on I will go to war any day with a guy like Tyler Olander over AO any day.

Reaction Score
I know someone very well who works in the front office of a NBA team in player developement. His view on Oriakhi having a NBA career...slim to none leaning to the none side. Too soft in the blocks, can't rebound, takes himself out of a game becoming invisible for long stretches...VERY limited offensively
This is how we all saw it, but he gets our thanks for his part in the NC. Even as limited as he is for the pros, he would have made a huge difference for us this season down low. No one can convince me otherwise but it was not to be.

Reaction Score
When it comes to these types of topics, I like to mention that I'm not close to the program, so I don't know any of these kids/men personally and if I offend anyone I apologize.

The only one of the many transfers over the past 6-7 years who I remember talking poorly of Uconn after their departure was CKelly, but it wasn't quite as bad.

Two things CK and AO have in common that other Uconn transfers did not: (i) both were very highly touted prospects, yet perhaps a little over ranked (Kelly was nyc co-player of the year and a 4/5* player; AO was a McD); (ii) both transferred to teams that were ranked/in the national picture.

The above two points might go a long way to explain that (i) they've been told by many that they are very good and have developed a big head because of it; (ii) they are in the national spotlight and therefore are in contact with the media much more.

I wonder if other uconn transfers would say similar things if given the same forum to voice their opinions about their time at uconn?

That being said, AO started his whining last year and also seems to excel in this twitter/facebook world we live in. The way his dad behaves makes me think that he has some daddy issues that are either in his control or out of his control.

His behavior makes it really, really difficult to root for AO. My fond memories of him with the 2010-2011 team have faded quite a bit. The magic of that team still remains.

Reaction Score
If Kemba was still on team he would have never tolerated AO's behavior..... AO could have went down as a great Uconn player but his whining on the court and off unfortunately will be remembered more. Way to undo a legacy.

Reaction Score
He seems to have way too many "yes men" in his life... guys around him that now and in the past have told him how amazing he is. I'd like to say he's the exception, but he almost embodies my generation. Told how great you are, feel completely entitled, and when you struggle, it must be the others around you are are really at fault. For his sake, I hope he can seriously mature, because the attitude he's shown has NBA bust written all over it. Almost every game I watched him play, I just sat there thinking, imagine if Jeff Adrien had those physical tools. Such a waste.

caw

Reaction Score
When it comes to these types of topics, I like to mention that I'm not close to the program, so I don't know any of these kids/men personally and if I offend anyone I apologize.

The only one of the many transfers over the past 6-7 years who I remember talking poorly of Uconn after their departure was CKelly, but it wasn't quite as bad.

Two things CK and AO have in common that other Uconn transfers did not: (i) both were very highly touted prospects, yet perhaps a little over ranked (Kelly was nyc co-player of the year and a 4/5* player; AO was a McD); (ii) both transferred to teams that were ranked/in the national picture.

The above two points might go a long way to explain that (i) they've been told by many that they are very good and have developed a big head because of it; (ii) they are in the national spotlight and therefore are in contact with the media much more.

I wonder if other uconn transfers would say similar things if given the same forum to voice their opinions about their time at uconn?

That being said, AO started his whining last year and also seems to excel in this twitter/facebook world we live in. The way his dad behaves makes me think that he has some daddy issues that are either in his control or out of his control.

His behavior makes it really, really difficult to root for AO. My fond memories of him with the 2010-2011 team have faded quite a bit. The magic of that team still remains.

CK waffled back and forth in his comments about UConn/Calhoun.

I think the AO thing persists because he and UConn fans (or just trolls from other programs) continue to interact on twitter.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Let it go.
Too soon! One way to let things go is to talk about things that bother us. So let people talk about their feelings regarding this issue. The difficulty for me regarding this advice, is when are we dwelling (time spent) and/or obsessing (degree spent) over an issue vs. allowing ourselves the opportunity to get things out of our systems.

There is no absolute answer to this because the amount of discussion that is "appropriate" will depend on the individuals disturbed by incidences, the various incidences themselves, and what stage of one's life we are in.

Reaction Score
Shows you what an inexact science recruiting is. JC offered AO and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel scholarships after their freshman years of HS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom