Directors' Cup Standings with UConn in B1G | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Directors' Cup Standings with UConn in B1G

Reaction Score
If your score in the Director's Cup is near or above your ranking in the Athletic Department Revenue standings....maybe that is good,

If you have say, #19 in the AD Revenue Rankings but score #53 in the Director's Cup...that may not be a really good athletic return on the money.

Admission standards should also factored in.

Reaction Score
This is easy.

Even in our worst sports year in at least a generation, we're still better than $#@%!@#%#$%ing Rutgers.

Next.

A phrase spoken by every athletic director since the beginning of time.:cool:

Reaction Score
All sports should be included in the Director's cup. I know it's hard to believe, especially in the CR world, but revenue isn't the reason why schools have athletic departments.

But the revenue sports support all of the other non revenue sports.....If the revenue sports are bringing in the money to support the non revenue sports (and the sports are not funded by state general revenue), and the non revenue sports are lagging that revenue ranking, that means that the return is not maximized.

Reaction Score
FSU's Women's Rugby teams have won four National Championships...but they are not NCAA.

Neither are the men's rugby, men's soccer, fencing, crew, lacrosse, field hockey, water polo, equestrian..a total of 40 sports.

These are the "real student athletes"....the students who love and may excel at a sport. But are not at college to play that sport.

Like many of us, I think, I played club sports in school...

Reaction Score
I wasn't familiar with the Director's Cup methodology...in the Final Rankings, they only score 20 selected teams...

I noticed that men's soccer, men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse, women's rowing, men's volleyball, and women's water polo were the sports scored that FSU does not have....thus 0 points for those...but Beach Volleyball was included....Yay! LOL

To score as high as #13...the other teams had to perform very well...The year-end performances of Florida State beach volleyball, baseball, football, women’s basketball, softball and indoor volleyball contributed to Top 10 points awarded based on the Learfield Directors’ Cup scoring structure.

Reaction Score
It's hard to believe that across the board UConn is barely ahead of Rutgers in all sports standings!

Rutgers is awful in ALL the major sports and a lot of the minor ones, and trends show it's only getting worse. The biggest eye openers are what's happened to Rutgers football and women's basketball (once a national power lead by a HOF coach). Uconn is definitely ahead, not just barely................

B1G disappointment? Results of each Rutgers team on 4-year anniversary

........and please do not give me they're up against better competition crappola. Rutgers was not nearly this bad in football when they played in the Big East football conference, which had awesome competition.

Last edited:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Rutgers is awful in ALL the major sports and a lot of the minor ones, and trends show it's only getting worse. The biggest eye openers are what's happened to Rutgers football and women's basketball (once a national power lead by a HOF coach). UConn is definitely ahead, not just barely......

B1G disappointment? Results of each Rutgers team on 4-year anniversary

...and please do not give me they're up against better competition crappola. Rutgers was not nearly this bad in football when they played in the Big East football conference, which had awesome competition.

Greg Schiano was the reason why they had the success in football they did during the end of the Big East era. He built that program and handed it off to Kyle Flood, who dropped the ball. The only other success they have had is when they were independents and in the smaller conferences.

Reaction Score
Greg Schiano was the reason why they had the success in football they did during the end of the Big East era. He built that program and handed it off to Kyle Flood, who dropped the ball. The only other success they have had is when they were independents and in the smaller conferences.
Yeah true about Schiano, but what has happened to women's basketball is an even bigger eye opener. C. Vivian Stringer had great great teams while in the Big East that were ranked somewhere in the top 10 or top 5 every year, a couple of final fours or eights IIRC. Beat both UCONN and Tennessee at home back when Pat Summit was coaching. Since joining the Big Ten they have fallen off a cliff from a national power to a doormat. I think the end of rivalries with Uconn and Tennessee killed women's basketball at Rutgers, and in football I would say the end of any rivalry has hurt both schools, the same can be said for BC, Cuse, and Pitt to a lesser extent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But Pitt is still hard to figure...You never know which Pitt will take the field. Pitt beats the Big Ten Champ, Penn State, and the National Champion, Clemson....and loses by 23 to Miami.

And WVU will never forget.....as they were in their 11 win year and a possible play at #1...along comes 5-7 Pitt...those dastards.
Had Pitt played Penn State after about week 5 or 6, they would have had their you know what handed to them. That Penn State team was dramatically different from October on than it was during the first month, and rightfully so given the upheaval that program has dealt with in the past few years. I still don't know how Penn State, Michigan, and Wisconsin rated so high. What exactly do those schools do to get such high ranks without ever winning anything?

Reaction Score
Had Pitt played Penn State after about week 5 or 6, they would have had their you know what handed to them. That Penn State team was dramatically different from October on than it was during the first month, and rightfully so given the upheaval that program has dealt with in the past few years. I still don't know how Penn State, Michigan, and Wisconsin rated so high. What exactly do those schools do to get such high ranks without ever winning anything?

Penn State did play Ohio State in week 7...won 24-21

Maybe Ohio State would not have been so blasted if they had played Clemson in week 2?

Reaction Score
But then again, since Pitt beat Clemson in week 11, as they did...maybe the week played made no real difference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom