Directors' Cup Standings with UConn in B1G | The Boneyard

Directors' Cup Standings with UConn in B1G

Reaction Score
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...to_pdf/2016-17/misc_non_event/D1final2017.pdf

2 Ohio State
6 Michigan
8 Penn State
16 Wisconsin
30 Minnesota
36 Northwestern
37 Nebraska
38 Illinois
41 Purdue
47 Indiana
50 Maryland
51 Iowa
53 Michigan State
116 Rutgers

92 UConn

UConn finished second in The American Directors' Cup Standings, but had the Huskies been in the B1G, they would have finished ahead of only Rutgers. It's hard to believe that across the board UConn is barely ahead of Rutgers in all sports standings!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...to_pdf/2016-17/misc_non_event/June8DIConf.pdf

2 Ohio State
3 Michigan
8 Penn State
11 Wisconsin
24 Minnesota
32 Northwestern
36 Nebraska
38 Illinois
39 Purdue
45 Maryland
50 Indiana
51 Michigan State
56 Iowa
109 Rutgers

84 UConn

UConn finished second in The American Directors' Cup Standings, but had the Huskies been in the B1G, they would have finished ahead of only Rutgers. It's hard to believe that across the board UConn is barely ahead of Rutgers in all sports standings!

No Field Hockey and WBB national championships will do that to you...

Reaction Score
For all sports standings, here are the teams who would be in the P5 and the teams they would replace...

31 BYU
35 Denver
48 Princeton
58 Harvard
61 New Mexico
62 Cornell
63 Kent State

66 Kansas State
69 Oregon State
72 Boston College
92 Pittsburgh
101 Washington State
102 Georgia Tech
116 Rutgers

My first post had an error. I accidentally posted early June standings. I tried to update it, but the time limit expired before I caught the last mistake. UConn finished 4th in the Directors' Cup standings in The American.

Reaction Score
92 UConn finished ahead of 2 and tied 1 P5 teams........

92 Pittsburgh (TIED)
101 Washington State
116 Rutgers

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hard to score at high levels when you don't have 23-27 sports.

Pitt has 14...Rutgers 22, UConn 21 (not counting hockey)...FSU 18

UNC has 26

Stanford has 36 men and women's sports

Reaction Score
Based only on all-sports standings, here are the teams that played well enough to be in the P5 and the teams they would have replaced.........

31 BYU
35 Denver
48 Princeton
58 Harvard
61 New Mexico
62 Cornell
63 Kent State

66 Kansas State
69 Oregon State
72 Boston College
92 Pittsburgh
101 Washington State
102 Georgia Tech
116 Rutgers

The conferences with teams performing below P5 standards:

ACC (3 teams - Boston College, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech)
PAC12 (2 teams - Oregon State, Washington State)
B1G (1 team - Rutgers)
Big 12 (1 team - Kansas State)
SEC (0 teams - lowest ranked is #64 Vanderbilt)

Reaction Score
All Sports aren't a P5 measure, thankfully...New Mexico, Denver?

Volleyball, soccer, et al are great for the athletes, but do not a P5 make..

nor does baseball...where the Big Ten hasn't seen a CWS in many years.

Nor fencing, tennis, or field hockey..

It is the revenue sports...

Reaction Score
GT is in a funny position...a top engineering college (maybe geeks don't play as many sports) with only 14 sports.

Reaction Score
Lacrosse is big in the DC. It's just the mix of sports that makes UConn look much worse than we really are.

Reaction Score
92 UConn finished ahead of 2 and tied 1 P5 teams...

92 Pittsburgh (TIED)
101 Washington State
116 Rutgers

Pittsburgh and Rutgers: Officially carrying their weight in conferences since...never.

Reaction Score
But Pitt is still hard to figure...You never know which Pitt will take the field. Pitt beats the Big Ten Champ, Penn State, and the National Champion, Clemson....and loses by 23 to Miami.

And WVU will never forget.....as they were in their 11 win year and a possible play at #1...along comes 5-7 Pitt...those dastards.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
All Sports aren't a P5 measure, thankfully...New Mexico, Denver?

Volleyball, soccer, et al are great for the athletes, but do not a P5 make..

nor does baseball...where the Big Ten hasn't seen a CWS in many years.

Nor fencing, tennis, or field hockey..

It is the revenue sports...

The only thing that makes P5 is football, plain and simple. The P5 is defined by schools that have direct access to the championship bowls. Since football is the main moneymaker for conferences (at least at this time), those schools are the ones that can afford to put the money into the Olympic sports.

When a school that isn't in a P5 conference ranks high in the Directors Cup, it's a huge accomplishment. It means they are doing more with less. It really shows poorly on WSU, Pitt, GT and Rutgers are doing with their status. It's a great measure. Rutgers is going off of less money than their counterparts in the Big10, but still should be better than they are.

Reaction Score
Huh....FSU placed #13 with only 18 sports.

That's pretty decent.

Reaction Score
GT has a requirement that all students, including athletes, take calculus. I have a suspicion that this might affect the jock ratio.

Reaction Score
But Pitt is still hard to figure...You never know which Pitt will take the field. Pitt beats the Big Ten Champ, Penn State, and the National Champion, Clemson....and loses by 23 to Miami.

And WVU will never forget.....as they were in their 11 win year and a possible play at #1...along comes 5-7 Pitt...those dastards.

Take heart Billybud. Pitt's season was still judged good enough by Yinzer standards to award themselves with a minimum of 7 -10 additional retroactive national titles. All 897 of them will be proudly displayed on some lame ass banner in Heinz Field used to cover their sea of empty seats.

Reaction Score
GT has a requirement that all students, including athletes, take calculus. I have a suspicion that this might affect the jock ratio.

Having to field teams of high level student athletes has never seemed to slow Stanford's Teams down in any measurable way. I suspect that it has much more to do with an institutional lack of commitment, and an alumni base completely indifferent to sport in general than to a calculus requirement on athletes. The school could easily drop that requirement and no one anywhere would care. No one holds anyone accountable for mediocrity because no one there actually cares so long as the checks clear.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only thing that makes P5 is football, plain and simple. The P5 is defined by schools that have direct access to the championship bowls. Since football is the main moneymaker for conferences (at least at this time), those schools are the ones that can afford to put the money into the Olympic sports.

When a school that isn't in a P5 conference ranks high in the Directors Cup, it's a huge accomplishment. It means they are doing more with less. It really shows poorly on WSU, Pitt, GT and Rutgers are doing with their status. It's a great measure. Rutgers is going off of less money than their counterparts in the Big10, but still should be better than they are.

I couldn't agree more. Schools like Denver, who are excelling with limited resources, should be applauded for their results. I'll cut Wazzu some slack because the Palouse is an athletic wasteland, but Rutgers, Pitt and GT should honestly be ashamed for being so non competitive across the board. Rutgers 1947 Fencing National Title Trophy must feel awfully lonely in their trophy case.

dayooper

Reaction Score
When Eastern Michigan beats four P5 schools (82), you know they have to step up their game.

Reaction Score
I played soccer through the years (into the over 40 club league), coached soccer, officiated soccer...my son played soccer at every level through college...we lived and breathed the sport and were disappointed that FSU had no (other than club) men's team. He had to play at another ACC school.

When I began competitive soccer (club), most of my team mates were from other countries...Argentina, France, England, Nigeria, Tanzania, and Germany. And we fought the southern Florida teams populated with Central/South Americans.

There has been interest in men's soccer for the last 40 years....not sure why the club teams are supported well and yet no varsity at FSU.

Reaction Score
If your score in the Director's Cup is near or above your ranking in the Athletic Department Revenue standings....maybe that is good,

If you have say, #19 in the AD Revenue Rankings but score #53 in the Director's Cup...that may not be a really good athletic return on the money.

if like UConn, you score #48 in AD Revenue Rank (2015 USA) and #92 in the Director's Cup...is that a good performance?

If one supposes, as dayooper, as opined, that success in non revenue sports should track total athletic department revenue...one can compare the two rankings.

Last edited:

dayooper

Reaction Score
If your score in the Director's Cup is near or above your ranking in the Athletic Department Revenue standings....maybe that is good,

If you have say, #19 in the AD Revenue Rankings but score #53 in the Director's Cup...that may not be a really good athletic return on the money.

if like UConn, you score #48 in AD Revenue Rank (2015 USA) and #92 in the Director's Cup...is that a good performance?

If one supposes, as dayooper, as opined, that success in non revenue sports should track total athletic department revenue...one can compare the two rankings.

All sports should be included in the Director's cup. I know it's hard to believe, especially in the CR world, but revenue isn't the reason why schools have athletic departments.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom