Direction-less | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Direction-less

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Les Miles will end up somewheere much better than here. We'd be lucky to lure Jerry Sandusky at this point.

The one thing that UConn has in its favor is the ability to pay. These coaches are mercenaries. They'll go where the most $$$ is. UConn for the meantime has a $72 million athletic budget.

If Benedict was really savvy, and I'm starting to doubt that, he should be renegotiating that buyout today. Diaco's agent might cry foul but even a 3.4 million payout on Nov. 27 will soothe a lot of wounds.

Reaction Score
Why is burning the red-shirt such a big deal? We have bigger things to worry about that whether this guy will have an extra year of eligibility in 4 years time.

If BS gave us zero chance to win, I have no issues giving another player a look at QB.
Because, as evidenced by the game, BS wasn't the reason we've been losing games. So the "BS gave us zero chance to win" argument is wrong.

And now that we've burned his redshirt, he still has it if he wants to transfer because he can use it for the season he sits out.

If we have bigger things to worry about, why waste a season of eligibility for 3 games at the most important position on the field.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Why is burning the red-shirt such a big deal? We have bigger things to worry about that whether this guy will have an extra year of eligibility in 4 years time.

If BS gave us zero chance to win, I have no issues giving another player a look at QB.

Because the kid just lost 3/4 of a season of eligibility he can never get back. It was also obvious he wasn't remotely ready to play at this level, which is what you pay your coaches to figure out in practice.

Reaction Score
I am not sure it is directionless. I have been thinking about the redshirt and after being at the game, I have come to the following conclusion: 3 games is better than none to see if Williams is the guy. Without a running game and little protection, he held his ground better than Shireffs and has pocket presence. He throws a nice ball and is the future. Apparently, we would have seen him earlier but he got hurt. Why Diaco 1 week ago said he would not burn his redshirt is just another line of BS that he has been feeding the fans since he became head coach.

Initially I thought of Dennis Brown vs Rutgers years ago. Now I think we might have something here with Williams - now if we could get a legitimate offensive line, we could have something here.
OL. That's the key. Kid Baller was getting pounced on with 3 man rushes. We gotta recruit better there or get coaches to better prepare what we already have. our QB is gonna get killed back there. I don't blame BS for doing 1 read and runot thing. He took the safe route.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
We are direction-less, but at some level what would you like Benedict to do publicly now? He's not going to fire Diaco before Jan 1, so making public commentary isn't going to happen. I'm sure they've talked behind the scenes but there isn't much that can be done on DB's end right now that we'll see or hear about. The contract extension was puzzling indeed for a second year coach who went 6-7.
Not sure who asked for public action of any kind from the AD- I'm just trying to understand WTF is going on. As stated if DB wants to wait a couple of months to save money I can understand it.

Reaction Score
The one thing that UConn has in its favor is the ability to pay. These coaches are mercenaries. They'll go where the most $$$ is. UConn for the meantime has a $72 million athletic budget.

If Benedict was really savvy, and I'm starting to doubt that, he should be renegotiating that buyout today. Diaco's agent might cry foul but even a 3.4 million payout on Nov. 27 will soothe a lot of wounds.
This is where you need a major booster, as in billionaire not millionaire.

Reaction Score
This is where you need a major booster, as in billionaire not millionaire.
I never understood that buyout off rip. It made it expensive for us to fire him, but cheap for him to walk away to a better job. I could be wrong but that is how I remember the particulars. Who the he'll negotiates like that?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm pretty much done with Diaco, but not because of playing Williams. I support that move. Shirreffs showed me beyond a shadow of a doubt that he cannot read a defense, and isn't mentally capable of playing at this level. Williams, even as a freshman facing a brutal D line behind an awful O line, made much better decisions with the ball and looked poised and in charge.

But what I can't tolerate is the fact that on 75% of our plays, the kids get set then...wait, stop, change of plays, let's do it all over. Result. Failed play. I might see other teams do that once every 10-12 plays. When we don't change the play, we seem to have more success. Then we have poor clock management and ill timed time outs. I simply don't understand his use of TOs. Then there is the pass coverage schemes, which continue to use zones, and deep drops by the corners. Then there is the inability of the offensive line to block anybody in the run or pass game. Even the stout run defense broke down against Temple.

Redshirts are pointless for losing teams with no depth. A waste of time. Diaco has plenty of failings. Changing QBs to one who needs to game reps before becoming our starter next year isn't one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom