Direction-less | The Boneyard

Direction-less

Status
Not open for further replies.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Yesterday we were posting about Diaco's unintelligible blather. Today it is evident that the football program is in its entirety directionless; completely adrift. If I am wrong then please help me with some points that are otherwise beyond human comprehension:

A blathering idiot head coach, whose team is as directionless as its head coach's thought process, everybody says "can't be fired", "too much money", "he'll get another year" but "the AD will force some changes". Seriously? So the AD, who inexplicably made it 5,000,000,000 times harder to fire the Idiot Head Coach signed off on promoting an inexperienced OC for the las 3 games of the season AND the burning of a true frosh QB's red shirt? The demotion of the OC, while serving really only to show that there is an adult in charge at the UConn athletic department, has at least a plausible justification. But Williams red shirt? Help me understand this because I'm on the verge of bursting a blood vessel. One of two things is true:

1) Diaco went rogue on the Wiliams red-shirt decision and should be handed his walking papers on January 1st (no point in spending 1.5 million unnecessarily) or

2) Benedict signed off on it and the program is truly forked, either because the AD is as goofy as the HC, or because the administration at UConn has actually given up on the advancement of UConn football to the P5 level.

The game tonight was, and there's no other word for it, the STUPIDEST display of program-wide cluelessness I have ever witnessed at UConn.

I am not by nature a ranter, but I've finally reached the end of my rope.

Reaction Score
F0D41770-0707-4CCE-93E2-01D90EB83452-504-00000061D7CC6013_tmp.jpg

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am not sure it is directionless. I have been thinking about the redshirt and after being at the game, I have come to the following conclusion: 3 games is better than none to see if Williams is the guy. Without a running game and little protection, he held his ground better than Shireffs and has pocket presence. He throws a nice ball and is the future. Apparently, we would have seen him earlier but he got hurt. Why Diaco 1 week ago said he would not burn his redshirt is just another line of BS that he has been feeding the fans since he became head coach.

Initially I thought of Dennis Brown vs Rutgers years ago. Now I think we might have something here with Williams - now if we could get a legitimate offensive line, we could have something here.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I am not sure it is directionless. I have been thinking about the redshirt and after being at the game, I have come to the following conclusion: 3 games is better than none to see if Williams is the guy. Without a running game and little protection, he held his ground better than Shireffs and has pocket presence. He throws a nice ball and is the future. Apparently, we would have seen him earlier but he got hurt. Why Diaco 1 week ago said he would not burn his redshirt is just another line of BS that he has been feeding the fans since he became head coach.

Initially I thought of Dennis Brown vs Rutgers years ago. Now I think we might have something here with Williams - now if we could get a legitimate offensive line, we could have something here.

While I follow your reasoning I see it differently, First, with bowl eligibility still on the line, while Williams may have potential, to my eye he is a very raw product, and could struggle even if he red-shirted through to next season. He certainly wasn't improving our chances to win today, and stood a good chance of getting hurt. I think it was a stupid decision symptomatic of leadership that doesn't know what to do.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Everything about the coordinator and quarterback change was embarrassing. It is flat out amateur hour.

Diaco is the kind of guy who would look at a gap in his monthly budget and drive to the gas station to buy scratch off tickets.

Reaction Score
I am not sure it is directionless. I have been thinking about the redshirt and after being at the game, I have come to the following conclusion: 3 games is better than none to see if Williams is the guy.

It's good for Joe fan for Williams to have a three-game freshman season. Not so good for the kid.

Reaction Score
I think Benedict is letting Bob make decisions like these out of respect for his authority in that area. If he feels he's using poor judgement or making desperate decisions it will all be processed and evaluated at the end of the season. I believe he basically inherited this mess including the extension and relied on WM and SH who were overreacting to rumors and CR issues and he's feeling kind of "had" on the whole deal. Bob's not his guy and moving forward it's likely he's well aware of the costs of leaving things the way they are. This isn't what he signed up for and I doubt he's going to sit still if he has any options to make changes.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If Benedict is truly a "football guy", then my guess is that he has told Diaco that he has 3 games to get his together and show him that he deserves to be the 2017 head coach. Changing the OC (but running the same, boring conservative offense) and burning a RS on a kid who is clearly not ready to play FBS football screams desperation. What's worse is all of these bonehead moves provide a nice little mask to hide the fact that Diaco's defense, his supposed strength, breaks apart faster than moist tissue in a hurricane.

Tonight should be the coffin's final nail. This entire staff is driving UConn and modern era football into the ground.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We are playing for next year already with the QB change. Diaco has completely been exposed in regards to his model for success on both sides of the ball. We are SLOW everywhere. He had Carrezola in pass coverage on their second TD. Defense is where his specialty is? Week after week we see pass plays from opponents that have receivers break wide open and on our side that is impossible especially near the goal line. Temple was throwing the ball early within 3 seconds, that is the way the game is played now, we only do this on bubble screens which we suck at. Watching Temple's O-line they were much faster than our side and their backs hit the hole faster, and they used a tough fullback to add to the problem. Again we are SLOW on offense especially the lineman. Diaco is still ignoring the lack of speed in the pass rush. Other coaches don't miss this though. We are an easy mark right now and it is getting worse.

Reaction Score
We are direction-less, but at some level what would you like Benedict to do publicly now? He's not going to fire Diaco before Jan 1, so making public commentary isn't going to happen. I'm sure they've talked behind the scenes but there isn't much that can be done on DB's end right now that we'll see or hear about. The contract extension was puzzling indeed for a second year coach who went 6-7.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'm as worried about Benedict as I am about Diaco

If Benedict actually signed off on tonight's snowshow, he deserves to get fired right alongside Bobby.

Reaction Score

This is a dumb argument. Three games proves what exactly?

Three games with a terrible OL and no running game shows us what?

He's a true freshman. Let's pretend he played amazing. Would we stop recruiting QBs every year? No. that's suicide. So what's the point of burning a redshirt on a terrible team? To show the fans we can throw for less than 70 yards? Impressive.

This "let's see if he is the guy"'argument is moronic. He's a true freshman. He would have had 4 full years to prove he is the guy. It's not like we would have stopped recruiting QBs if he played great. Jordan Mcafee is coming in next year, should we burn his redshirt to see if he is the guy?

The fans clamorinf for him don't belong on the sideline coaching. And the coach on the sideline dumb enough to play him should be fired immediately.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Benedict is truly a "football guy", then my guess is that he has told Diaco that he has 3 games to get his together and show him that he deserves to be the 2017 head coach. Changing the OC (but running the same, boring conservative offense) and burning a RS on a kid who is clearly not ready to play FBS football screams desperation. What's worse is all of these bonehead moves provide a nice little mask to hide the fact that Diaco's defense, his supposed strength, breaks apart faster than moist tissue in a hurricane.

Tonight should be the coffin's final nail. This entire staff is driving UConn and modern era football into the ground.
The defense and OL are simply not performing. Whatever the reason, these need to be addressed. Put tom Brady behind center and he won't be tom Brady.
Does anyone else wonder why we don't have a FB in the backfield as well? We showed that look a few games back with some success I recall.

I think last night was a little desperate. But a change was needed.

At some point though, the players need to take responsibility for poor play. The defense is just atrocious right now. They are soft, weak, and completely getting man handled. No pride. No anger. Poindexter just looked sad last night, like he was watching his job go up in smoke with each 10 yard play. Maybe there is too much love?

Temple told them they would run. Uconn played for a run. Temple was still moving the ball at will. That's not all on the coaches.

Reaction Score
This is a dumb argument. Three games proves what exactly?

Three games with a terrible OL and no running game shows us what?

He's a true freshman. Let's pretend he played amazing. Would we stop recruiting QBs every year? No. that's suicide. So what's the point of burning a redshirt on a terrible team? To show the fans we can throw for less than 70 yards? Impressive.

This "let's see if he is the guy"'argument is moronic. He's a true freshman. He would have had 4 full years to prove he is the guy. It's not like we would have stopped recruiting QBs if he played great. Jordan Mcafee is coming in next year, should we burn his redshirt to see if he is the guy?

The fans clamorinf for him don't belong on the sideline coaching. And the coach on the sideline dumb enough to play him should be fired immediately.
Three games created a legend in Cochran and Weist. Nobody remembers Weist lost his first three games.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

HEY!

Reaction Score
Recap of first offensive series:
Donovan Williams lines up at qb, thus burning his red shirt late in a losing season.
3rd and 2-time out called by UConn

The whole damned coaching staff should be place on permanent time out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom