OT: - Dior Johnson commits to Oregon | The Boneyard

OT: Dior Johnson commits to Oregon

Reaction Score
So how much will he make at Oregon? I mean who cares at this point. Just wonder if there’s some loophole for Nike money to get funneled to these kids with the new NIL rules
No loophole necessary. Nike just signs him to do promotions and public appearances at a salary of $XXXXXXX and all is good.

The NCAA and state lawmakers will say he'll be limited to the going rate, but based on who or what? Lebron James? The overlords at the forced labor camps where they make Nike products?

This is exactly why I believe the death of college sports will be the eventual outcome of the NIL rules. Major money will be paid to the best players and fan bases at schools like UConn don't have those kinds of dollars unless Chief decides to let some of his money flow.............

Reaction Score
Can he qualify academically?! I don't know if he had been attending school.

Reaction Score
Can he qualify academically?! I don't know if he had been attending school.
Dude, he committed to Oregon - one of the dirtiest / shadiest programs out there.
They are long on $$$$ there as they have a particularly wealthy benefactor ;)

Reaction Score
There will be tons of loopholes. How is the ncaa going to regulate a booster paying a kid 500k for signing "autographs"?

What idiot is paying for a kids autograph?

Reaction Score
What idiot is paying for a kids autograph?
The booster that wants his team to sign 5* athletes and win championships…? They wouldn’t care about an autograph or whatever, the point is thats how a kid would make money off his name and likeness. Or they can charge outrageous “speaking fees” like many politicians do when they leave office. I’m not against kids making money off of their own likeness, but UConn better have people lined up to shell out some serious money to these kids or else we’re going to get lapped by every P5 school with unlimited resources

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Wonder if he’ll actually go, but glad he spurned Cuse.

giphy.gif

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1624396554239.png

"I said that Dior would be on this team and by god I meant it!"
"Now put this crap on and stop complaining"

1624396510255.png

Reaction Score
NIL = may the best fans win, and by best i mean willing to pay the highest percentage of their collective net worth.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No loophole necessary. Nike just signs him to do promotions and public appearances at a salary of $XXXXXXX and all is good.

The NCAA and state lawmakers will say he'll be limited to the going rate, but based on who or what? Lebron James? The overlords at the forced labor camps where they make Nike products?

This is exactly why I believe the death of college sports will be the eventual outcome of the NIL rules. Major money will be paid to the best players and fan bases at schools like UConn don't have those kinds of dollars unless Chief decides to let some of his money flow.............

Sorry, but you are a fool if you really believe this.

This kid chose college ball over a 1.2 million dollar offer to play in a pro league.

The NIL rules are precisely what will save college basketball and allow it to compete with these other options

Reaction Score

This kid chose college ball over a 1.2 million dollar offer to play in a pro league.

The NIL rules are precisely what will save college basketball and allow it to compete with these other options
only time will tell if NIL will help the game as much as the players but a dozen of the best players going pro every year instead of school wasnt going to hurt the game

Reaction Score

The definition of the phrase “Educational Expense” will be greatly expanded. Come to think of it, nearly everything is an “Educational” experience in life.

Reaction Score
only time will tell if NIL will help the game as much as the players but a dozen of the best players going pro every year instead of school wasnt going to hurt the game

Thats fair. I was being a bit hyperbolic.

But, I just don’t think the NIL will change things as much as people think

Reaction Score
Tbh college basketball kind of sucks nowadays. Obviously im a big Uconn fan but outside of Uconn i dont follow the sport nowhere near like i used to. Id watch a ton of other games and follow recruiting an all the news i could get. If its not Uconn i hardly care anymore.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Tbh college basketball kind of sucks nowadays. Obviously im a big Uconn fan but outside of Uconn i dont follow the sport nowhere near like i used to. Id watch a ton of other games and follow recruiting an all the news i could get. If its not Uconn i hardly care anymore.
College basketball is awesome. You're the one that sucks.

Reaction Score
Why? I've yet to hear/read a good argument from anyone who has told me this and I'm curious to read your opinion.

My advice: if you're watching power programs, watch the older teams: the Kentuckys and Dukes of the worlds don't interest me.

If you don't want to watch power programs, watch the conferences that are just a level below: A-10, MVC, MWC, WCC: most of, if not all of their games are good watches.

Or, find a program that fits the style that you like to watch: there are over 350 teams, one of them has to be entertaining to a basketball fan. Like quick paced games? a few teams in the MAC fit that bill. Like more methodical, lower scoring games? check out Ivy or Patriot games. Like good shooting teams? The SoCon.

Reaction Score

I’m sure they will find a way to establish a going rate or range. To use the extreme example here, there are limitless data points upon which someone could determine $500k for autographs is not FMV for an autograph of a college player. I’m sure there will be loopholes exploited but it’s going to be hard to be egregious about it if the NCAA actually wants to enforce (a different question all together).

Reaction Score

Fool?
-You're assuming Oregon's offer wasn't higher.
-You're also assuming the "pro league" will draw enough ticket buying fans, at sufficiently high ticket prices, to survive. Maybe you can share what you believe will draw fans from Albany or Altoona to see post grad high school kids play when they have lots of other options on which to spend their entertainment dollars (like seat licenses for UConn and other college teams).
-Have you ever watched a G league game and marveled at the size of the crowd?
-Will the NBA or major sponsors invest in such "pro leagues" when they already have the P6 and other schools falling all over themselves to recruit and develop (check out college facilities today) the best players?
-Not all players will want the "pro" lifestyle but most will want the best return ($)on their skills and ability and most will want the excitement of big crowds cheering for their great plays.
-Have you ever been to a Kentucky game and experienced the hysteria? That will translate to boosters paying big dollars to players (there and at other P5 schools with the big money media contracts) and will, I fear, sway a large percentage of kids to those schools.
-Therefore, unless the players have an affinity for a school, for one reason or another, NIL will lead to the best players going (for the most part) to the schools offering them the highest projected income.

Reaction Score
I’m sure they will find a way to establish a going rate or range. To use the extreme example here, there are limitless data points upon which someone could determine $500k for autographs is not FMV for an autograph of a college player. I’m sure there will be loopholes exploited but it’s going to be hard to be egregious about it if the NCAA actually wants to enforce (a different question all together).
I understand your point, but how can the NCAA deny larger payments that might be justified based on the size of the student body, the number of alums, the sizes of the arenas, and all sorts of variables?

Put a t-shirt out there with the name of a star Kentucky player and tell me if you believe those of a Villanova player will outsell it, in spite of Kentucky's much larger and more passionate fanbase, for example.

Size always seems to matter........ :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Fool?
-You're assuming Oregon's offer wasn't higher.
-You're also assuming the "pro league" will draw enough ticket buying fans, at sufficiently high ticket prices, to survive. Maybe you can share what you believe will draw fans from Albany or Altoona to see post grad high school kids play when they have lots of other options on which to spend their entertainment dollars (like seat licenses for UConn and other college teams).
-Have you ever watched a G league game and marveled at the size of the crowd?
-Will the NBA or major sponsors invest in such "pro leagues" when they already have the P6 and other schools falling all over themselves to recruit and develop (check out college facilities today) the best players?
-Not all players will want the "pro" lifestyle but most will want the best return ($)on their skills and ability and most will want the excitement of big crowds cheering for their great plays.
-Have you ever been to a Kentucky game and experienced the hysteria? That will translate to boosters paying big dollars to players (there and at other P5 schools with the big money media contracts) and will, I fear, sway a large percentage of kids to those schools.
-Therefore, unless the players have an affinity for a school, for one reason or another, NIL will lead to the best players going (for the most part) to the schools offering them the highest projected income.

I agree. If you scrolled above you’ll see I admitted to being hyperbolic.

College is easily better than pro

However, if your argument against NIL is it’ll “change” the game and all the players will go to Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas etc....than I don’t know what to tell you

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom