DiMauro: Ollie's recent public relations plan reeks of hypocrisy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DiMauro: Ollie's recent public relations plan reeks of hypocrisy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dear lord, I understand that he can write about whatever he wants. I'm not advocating that DiMauro's editor fire him, or that he be thrown in jail. I just don't see the relevance to UConn athletics.

Fine, the dude is a hypocrite. I don't see the capital case in trying to hire someone to make you look good in a case where optics play such a critical role. UConn is hypocritical in this case, too. Neither side comes out smelling like roses here, but Ollie's hypocrisy isn't going to affect whether or not he gets the full buyout, none of it, or something in-between. It's also not going to affect whether or not DiMauro gets access to the current UConn staff. It's pure schadenfreude from a writer that is taking a personal issue and trying to make it relevant as a way to stick it to Kevin Ollie.

This is all coming from a guy that thinks Ollie was in the wrong and is hoping he gets either a small buyout or none at all. People are so entrenched as pro or anti Ollie on this board that it's clouding their judgment.
l7Ky808S5hA5O.gif

Reaction Score
He gave UConn a reason to want to move on, and the ability to do so without having to pay him.

Bingo.

If he wanted to keep his job, all he had to do was not run a Top 10 program into the ground.
If he wanted to keep getting paid, all he had to do was not violate NCAA rules in the process.

Contracts are contracts. The whole "if he were winning, the violations wouldn't matter" schtick is meaningless.

Reaction Score
Clearly he is using his publication to get back at someone he has a negative opinion of. I will leave it at that and not drag up all the useless hyperbole to prove my point.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Ollie's defenders in the national media usually gloss over the personal trainer trips, which is an open and obvious violation. People want to pretend he was fired for shooting baskets with a recruit.
No, the media wants to present “this is just UConn being ‘scummy’” again, as if it’s a continuation of institutional mismanagement.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah, but the columns should be about the state of UConn athletics, not that the writer is mad the coach doesn't give him enough access to the program.

If his article solely focused on the quotes from his AD friend and concluded that Ollie would be lucky to get any of his buyout from the program, that would've been fine. Once he interjected his own personal feud with Ollie into the story, that's when he lost me.

You clearly do not understand the concept of an opinion.

A columnist is under no obligation to confine his opinions to the "state of UConn athletics" because you feel he should.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
#unintentionallyironicposts

You're probably one of the worst offenders, so this is great coming from you.

I have called out both sides for being shady and irresponsible in this whole situation. Most people on this board bury their head in the sand and only promote the stories and news snippets that make their side look good, and those are the ones that are mad at me here. Ollie deserved to be fired, but UConn was pretty hypocritical to only care about NCAA violations in this situation when they turned their heads the other way when Calhoun did it in the past (multiple times). I understand why, and Ollie is certainly no saint here, but let's not pretend he's this evil cartoon character while UConn administration is the White Knight just trying to do the right thing.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

A columnist is under no obligation to confine his opinions to the "state of UConn athletics" because you feel he should.

I understand it just fine. I also wouldn't want to see DiMauro write about a squabble he's having with his next door neighbor about who should have to pay for a tree removal on their property line, but I understand he has the right to write about it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I have called out both sides for being shady and irresponsible in this whole situation. Most people on this board bury their head in the sand and only promote the stories and news snippets that make their side look good, and those are the ones that are mad at me here. Ollie deserved to be fired, but UConn was pretty hypocritical to only care about NCAA violations in this situation when they turned their heads the other way when Calhoun did it in the past (multiple times). I understand why, and Ollie is certainly no saint here, but let's not pretend he's this evil cartoon character while UConn administration is the White Knight just trying to do the right thing.
upload_2018-9-26_10-30-14.png

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I understand it just fine. I also wouldn't want to see DiMauro write about a squabble he's having with his next door neighbor about who should have to pay for a tree removal on their property line, but I understand he has the right to write about it.

He's not writing about a squabble with his next door neighbor about a tree.

He's writing about a guy who is mounting a charm offensive because he wants to sway media opinion his way to help him get $10,000,000.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
I learned a lot about the situation I didn't previously know- which generally means it is an interesting read and fit to print. It makes KO look self-serving because he is acting self-serving.

When casual college basketball fans come up to me because they read a stupid article saying Kevin Ollie was fired because of a phone call with Ray Allen it makes UConn look really bad. In reality, that is just the tip of the iceberg of why he was fired for cause. KO paying a PR firm to circulate an incomplete narrative to make the school look bad is certainly relevant to UConn athletics and the University as a whole. I'm glad someone decided to shine a light on the hypocrisy of those actions given his prior relationship with the media. How can people support someone who is actively spreading disinformation intended to make our school look bad?

Reaction Score
The guy is paid to have an opinion. His editor is paid to decide if the opinion is worth publishing vis a vis relevance and reader interest. The debate here on both sides says: score one for the editor.

Reaction Score

The contract with and discipline meted out to Ollie is a direct result of Calhoun's problems.

Furthermore, the contract would have been written the same for any coach hired, even saints who operate squeaky clean programs like Roy Williams.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He's not writing about a squabble with his next door neighbor about a tree.

He's writing about a guy who is mounting a charm offensive because he wants to sway media opinion his way to help him get $10,000,000.

I get that. He also never would've written the article if Ollie was nicer to him when he was the head coach; he basically said so in the article. Is this really something to get up in arms about like DiMauro did; Ollie hiring a PR firm?! Every single person involved in a conflict with an employer or former employer is going to do this.

Look, I know he can write whatever he wants; the article still comes off as petty to me, even if you all think this is relevant to anything. He's not the coach anymore, and Ollie's hypocrisy towards DiMauro isn't going to affect whether or not he gets his money. It just comes off as DiMauro complaining that Ollie didn't give him as much access as he wanted when he was head coach.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I get that. He also never would've written the article if Ollie was nicer to him when he was the head coach; he basically said so in the article. Is this really something to get up in arms about like DiMauro did; Ollie hiring a PR firm?! Every single person involved in a conflict with an employer or former employer is going to do this.

Look, I know he can write whatever he wants; the article still comes off as petty to me, even if you all think this is relevant to anything. He's not the coach anymore, and Ollie's hypocrisy towards DiMauro isn't going to affect whether or not he gets his money. It just comes off as DiMauro complaining that Ollie didn't give him as much access as he wanted when he was head coach.
This is basically what Jeff Jacobs has done his entire career. Dimauro has always been a twit, so I get why youre annoyed. He can still be correct about some things.

Reaction Score

If you edit all your posts in this thread, you’d have yourself a nice little letter to the editor in response to DiMauro.

That may be more satisfying for you than just continuously shouting into the void (read: we here that clearly disagree with you)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
No. Op-Ed's should be about whatever the writer wants it to be about. You keep calling it an article. It's not an article, it's an opinion piece. It's literally supposed to be his own personal opinion.
PS - The responsible among us would fully support opinion pieces that came to a different opinion. Maybe DeMauro is in a distinct minority. Maybe the articles mentioned in the press release will gain lots of support. Who's to say, except for those with the forum to express their opinion. Not unlike us here, except many here make more money while doing so (albeit while doing something else).

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
... let's not pretend he's this evil cartoon character while UConn administration is the White Knight just trying to do the right thing.

OK, that sounds pretty easy.

I bet most of the folks you are directly responding to would find that easy too. And I don't bet.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Take note: sometimes, when a notable poster confines himself to presenting things this clearly, he hurts his post-to-like ratio. I take note of an attempt for greater common good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Straight up: Ollie's dealings with the men and women who covered his team at UConn faithfully featured the minimum weekly requirement. He was not rude. Just apathetic.

A beat writer said before a game last year that it took him about a half-hour to get a return phone call from Jay Wright the week of the Villanova game. The writer then paused and said, "I'd still be waiting for Kevin."

So Ollie dealt with the media like he dealt with recruits. That's the biggest thing I took out of this.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It just comes off as DiMauro complaining that Ollie didn't give him as much access as he wanted when he was head coach.
To you.
Not to me.
Not to some others here.
No doubt people agree with you.
Editor made the call to print the piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom