DiMauro: Ollie did enough wrong to warrant his firing by UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DiMauro: Ollie did enough wrong to warrant his firing by UConn

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Direct quote for the link clicking lazy:

>>The two-minute drill version: Ollie was part of a shootaround with a potential recruit (James Akinjo) on an official visit, allegedly prearranged a phone call between a potential recruit and former UConn great Ray Allen (whom the NCAA considers a “booster”) and allowed his players to train with friend Derek Hamilton in 2015-16. The players not only worked out on and off campus, but some traveled to Atlanta, where they were flown, fed and stayed for free. They are all NCAA violations to varying degrees.<<

To what degree is Glen Miller heard a call was set up an NCAA violation? He didn’t even have the guts to say it happened.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Direct quote for the link clicking lazy:

>>The two-minute drill version: Ollie was part of a shootaround with a potential recruit (James Akinjo) on an official visit, allegedly prearranged a phone call between a potential recruit and former UConn great Ray Allen (whom the NCAA considers a “booster”) and allowed his players to train with friend Derek Hamilton in 2015-16. The players not only worked out on and off campus, but some traveled to Atlanta, where they were flown, fed and stayed for free. They are all NCAA violations to varying degrees.<<
Of course another way of saying the same facts would be that Ollie:
  • violated UConn and NCAA rules regarding recruit workouts (CL82 aside: This is one cringe worthy in my opinion. I wouldn't have included it, especially not first),
  • facilitated booster contact with recruits in violation of NCAA rules,
  • allowed UConn staff to work out players that were prohibited under NCAA rules, and
  • paid for room and board for players to attend off season workouts in Atlanta which violates NCAA rules.
  • While these violations were occurring, Ollie repeatedly represented to the university that he and the program were complying with NCAA.
Sounds worse that way doesn't it?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Don't know, but I think some on the board might.
I would think the union would only advise against a sizable settlement if it sets a poor future precedent. Unlikely in this scenario.

Reaction Score
To what degree is Glen Miller heard a call was set up an NCAA violation? He didn’t even have the guts to say it happened.

I'm guessing the call actually happened (and have actual proof) if they included it (unlike the rumored $30k payment):

>>Ollie facilitated a call between a potential recruit and former UConn All-America Ray Allen, who is now considered a booster by the NCAA. When confronted with the call, Benedict alleged that Ollie denied the call was prearranged. In addition the call was not made on Ollie’s phone but on the cellphone of his executive assistant from Ollie’s house. Benedict said using another employee’s phone “further suggests that the call deliberately occurred in a covert manner.”<<

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm guessing the call actually happened (and have actual proof) if they included it (unlike the rumored $30k payment):

>>Ollie facilitated a call between a potential recruit and former UConn All-America Ray Allen, who is now considered a booster by the NCAA. When confronted with the call, Benedict alleged that Ollie denied the call was prearranged. In addition the call was not made on Ollie’s phone but on the cellphone of his executive assistant from Ollie’s house. Benedict said using another employee’s phone “further suggests that the call deliberately occurred in a covert manner.”<<

Read Miller’s ‘testimony’. He says he heard it was set up. He doesn’t say it happened.

Reaction Score
Read Miller’s ‘testimony’. He says he heard it was set up. He doesn’t say it happened.

... but Ollie doesn't seem to be saying the call didn't happen - just that it wasn't prearranged.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
  • violated UConn and NCAA rules regarding recruit workouts (CL82 aside: This is one cringe worthy in my opinion. I wouldn't have included it, especially not first),
  • allowed UConn staff to work out players that were prohibited under NCAA rules, and
  • paid for room and board for players to attend off season workouts in Atlanta which violates NCAA rules.
  • While these violations were occurring, Ollie repeatedly represented to the university that he and the program were complying with NCAA.
Sounds like you might be moving into "undermining" territory for someone who thinks it's a big nothingburger that fits inside a 30-second clock.

Fortunately, the source article is easy to link to, easy to read, was excerpted, and given a fair synopsis prior to yours, which in itself isn't bad given what you're intending to highlight for, rather than, say, force on others.

CL82

Reaction Score
Sounds like you might be moving into "undermining" territory for someone who thinks it's a big nothingburger that fits inside a 30-second clock.

Fortunately, the source article is easy to link to, easy to read, was excerpted, and given a fair synopsis prior to yours, which in itself isn't bad given what you're intending to highlight for, rather than, say, force on others.
I have no idea what the point is that you are trying make.

Reaction Score
I cannot speak for the arbitration rules that will be followed here, but IN GENERAL, an arbitrator has the ability to decide culpability and damages. It's not an all or nothing, so they can award part of a plaintiff's claim. It's one of the problems with arbitration where you think you have the winning case. I find arbitrators more likely to "split the baby" so that neither party is too upset. Emotion can also come into play. The little old lady who lost money may get something because it's a sad story, even if there is no great legal reason why she should get something.
Isn't the 1st step to agree to arbitration to keep it out of the courts? Has that been agreed upon? My impression is that we are at the union involvement step and nothing has been agreed upon as far as deciding on arbitration. This whole thing seems all little weird and I would think KO would have to sue the union if he doesn't get a resolution to his satisfaction.

Reaction Score
Isn't the 1st step to agree to arbitration to keep it out of the courts? Has that been agreed upon? My impression is that we are at the union involvement step and nothing has been agreed upon as far as deciding on arbitration. This whole thing seems all little weird and I would think KO would have to sue the union if he doesn't get a resolution to his satisfaction.

From AAUP Contract link above:

arbitration.png

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I have no idea what the point is that you are trying make.
It's not directed toward you.
There's a frequently contentious poster who has voiced objection to people "undermining" his posts when they find them a little too self-validating. Sometimes he misses the the confidence-delusion balance. OK, often.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

View attachment 32321
Thank you. That’s the exact provision I recalled and to which I was referring in an earlier post today

If I was Ollie I would definitely opt for de novo judicial consideration instead of arbitration, and I would combine that with all other claims, like breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing

Reaction Score

View attachment 32321
So they're at step 3, if they can't agree on arbitration numbers say 3 million UConn 7 million Ollie, either side can say no dice see you in court? I can't imagine UConn is sticking to 0, and Ollie 10 million as an arbitration case.

Reaction Score
Ollie really hasn’t denied any of the alleged violations. His defense seems to be along the lines of “other guys did similar stuff and didn’t get fired.” Or a variation “Well it wasn’t that bad.”

My sense is that Ollie was way over his head and neither understood nor cared to learn about the NCAA rules. Sort of figured they were chicken crap and no biggie if you played fast and loose with them. In other words he approached it like he approached other aspects of his coaching.

Reaction Score
So they're at step 3, if they can't agree on arbitration numbers say 3 million UConn 7 million Ollie, either side can say no dice see you in court? I can't imagine UConn is sticking to 0, and Ollie 10 million as an arbitration case.

They (Ollie/AAUP) need to decide whether to file for arbitration or not where the question very likely will be was he terminated for “just cause” under the applicable CBA language not “how much”.

Arbitration under the American Arbitration Associationis is not a “court proceeding” (considered outside of court).

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Thank you.

We don't get to talk about the violations as "A phone call with Ray Allen" or "a workout with a friend." The NCAA won't. He violated rules about booster contact and paid for player expenses.

Reaction Score
They (Ollie/AAUP) need to decide whether to file for arbitration or not where the question very likely will be was he terminated for “just cause” under the applicable CBA language not “how much”.

Arbitration under the American Arbitration Associationis is not a “court proceeding” (considered outside of court).
I think another nuance for people to understand, in addition to the above, is not to confuse "mediation" with "arbitration". Two very different animals.

Reaction Score
NY Post also has summary story in print today. Could not find o/l, however.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
To me it is pretty clear Ollie violated the contract and that is before the NCAA gets into reviewing the $30 000 allegation. Unless it was Adams, if Ollie paid money for ANY other recruit that should prove beyond doubt his ineptitude.

What review can they possibly do? No one involved (if it even happened) is required to talk or work with them.

Last edited:

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
What review can they possibly do? No one involved is required to talk or work with them.
Well the FBI is getting involved in player payments and subpoenas exist.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well the FBI is getting involved in player payments and subpoenas exist.

Yeah, but the NCAA isn't ruling on any of that until it's done which could take years.

And it's only going to raise the FBI's eyebrows if it involves the shoe companies. They couldn't care less about the players and their families. They just squeeze them to testify against the big boys.

Reaction Score
The NCAA Was told per the transcript that such a payment might have been made. You don’t think they are looking into it? You think the investigation of possible recruiting violations is a phone call to Ray Allen? Email me off line and I’ll send you a deed to this great bridge in Brooklyn. Be sure to include your social security # bank accounts and passwords. Yeesh! As my cousin the cop used to say you talk to everyone because you never know who might say something. And while it is true that people don’t have to talk to the NCAA you never know who will talk.

Reaction Score
I always thought we wouldn't know until the asst coaches started talking and now we are starting to get that. The rest will come out in dribs and drabs as to why players transferred and he basically lost the team. His attorneys will point to many things that happened under Calhoun without recourse and who is to say they are wrong? If I were KO and could get 2 million at this point I would take it and run.
The crux of the matter, however, is that UConn responded to violations under Calhoun's watch by adding the zero tolerance language to Ollie's contract.

Yeah, firing him for cause due to violations doesn't completely align with "past practices", but then, neither does his contract. Guaranteed that would be UConn's argument here. I don't doubt Ollie gets some part of his buyout, but I doubt it's even close to half of the buyout.

CL82

Reaction Score
It's not directed toward you.
There's a frequently contentious poster who has voiced objection to people "undermining" his posts when they find them a little too self-validating. Sometimes he misses the the confidence-delusion balance. OK, often.
Ah okay.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom