DiMauro at it again… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DiMauro at it again…

Reaction Score
It is a barrier for sure. It needs to be addressed.

Right, it is a problem. But in the article, to imply that it (and Hathaway in general) were the only reason(s) why Edsall 1.0 left for Maryland is a ridiculous and disingenuously false narrative.

Reaction Score
It is a barrier for sure. It needs to be addressed.
I hope Dave can get them to fix it. Outline how bad the situation is and tell them that if we ever want to be profitable, we need to modify their rules. Unfortunately a lot of the people in charge are strict academics who simply don't get it. It's really annoying.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I have been telling people for years about the first part of this article. It also continued under PP- Hathaway alienated his head coaches and micromanaged stupid things. The 2nd part- I don't agree with. Bottom line- there needs to be a commitment to winning and not cutting corners like assistant coaching staff compensation pools.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
1) More people will read this thread than read a DiMuaro column in The Day.
2) So Mr “BCGenius,” if academics is such a tall hurdle to winning football, how is BC scrapping by this past decade? The academic standards at BC must be lower, right smart guy given you have more wins?
3) BC basketball is also dead… so dead, no one even ever bothered to write about it. Where is that scathing column? Oh yeah, he doesn’t write about BC!
4) DiMauro gave Randy this favorable piece to curry favor to get more inside juice from our recently departed coach.

Reaction Score
3) BC basketball is also dead… so dead, no one even ever bothered to write about it. Where is that scathing column? Oh yeah, he doesn’t write about BC!
In fairness... why should he write about BC?.. no one, anywhere, cares about BC; at least if he writes about UConn he might catch an eyeball or two.

Reaction Score
Right, it is a problem. But in the article, to imply that it (and Hathaway in general) were the only reason(s) why Edsall 1.0 left for Maryland is a ridiculous and disingenuously false narrative.

Hathaway was the biggest reason. There was a reason he was ejected.

Reaction Score
DiMarco might be bagging on us, but it's easy to argue that a lot of folks on here since we found out Edsall 2.0 was coming to poured gallons of gasoline before that flame was lit.

Dude actually explains a lot of why he bags on us, with info that gets to valid points. What sucks is he's a BCU guy. We gave him that energy with all of our dirty laundry being aired all over the place.

Reaction Score
UConn business school should write this case up as what not to do in creating a resilient enterprise
His point about why Edsall left the first time is partially correct. Hathaway was a tool bag of an AD.
Liked the post after reading the first two sentences. Randy only took the low road twice in my eyes and anyone who never made a mistake is simply not doing anything. He never got what he needed from Hathaway / school once he got the program up and running.
I forget which season but I personally along with hundreds at a Rentschler coaches and fans, recruits introduction gathering, saw him lash out at Hathaway.
It was near the end of the event as they took questions from us fans and someone stood up and asked Randy. "What do you have to do to get money to get / keep good assistant coaches?"

Shouting into the mike and pointing with spittle flying he was pointing to Hathaway in the front row. "Ask him, just ask him that question, ask him!" Hathaway was beet red. Never saw an outburst like that or a condescending comment from Randy but I enjoyed and understood that one. The flight after the Fiesta Bowl, yea he stubbed his toe....
As a state school without the endowment of many we need a new president that wants football to succeed. That and unlike Suzie and Wharde not pull a stunt like pizzing away our world wide recognized mascot. 11 national championships and they sold out to Nike.

I'm all for the business school being part of the search committee for the new president and football coach.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Sorry he is a BCU twit who thinks the sports world revolves around BCU sports.

I take anything he says with a grain of salt. He doesn't like UConn and I don't like BCU either.

Reaction Score
Sorry he is a BCU twit who thinks the sports world revolves around BCU sports.

I take anything he says with a grain of salt. He doesn't like UConn and I don't like BCU either.
I get how you and most others feel about this guy, but he pointed out stuff that has created tons of issues ever since we started having a lit if success at the FBS level. Again it sucks hearing this from non UConn guy, but it's all apart of the competition thing. There's plenty of pro UConn folks out there that talk a lot of crap too. Too much crap (if you ask me) considering the struggles we've had.

What if we demand MORE from our Admin folks as fans???? Maybe/Hopefully, that's happening now...

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Basketball has never had academic issues...
lol I meant more so that I don't recall that academics being an issue with getting players into the school like Randy/DiMauro claimed with football

Reaction Score
How come these academic standards never seem to be an issue in basketball? Genuinely curious.
Basketball was/is treated differently. They ask for one or two admissions. Football?? They are asking for many more.

This was one of the touchpoints way back when. Not sure how it is now. Funny thing is when Pasqualoni took over they relaxed the standards for him. Even then, Paul was trying to get potted plants into the school. He didn't like any restrictions, LOL.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
he is a professional troll
Too much credit with troll designation.....

Basketball was/is treated differently. They ask for one or two admissions. Football?? They are asking for many more.

This was one of the touchpoints way back when. Not sure how it is now. Funny thing is when Pasqualoni took over they relaxed the standards for him.

I used to believe these stories....now I question whether its all just more smoke to shift and deflect blame. Is UConn really running a tighter academic ship than Boston College? I am sure academics is limiting us compared to others, its just a question of to what degree and I am wondering if this is overblown.

Reaction Score
Paul was trying to get potted plants into the school.
I had a few classes with football players and several group projects with a handful of them. One of them was really, really smart. The others... Well they were some of the worst students I've ever met in my entire life. Their school systems totally failed them. These guys could barely write. It was really sad.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

This was one of the touchpoints way back when. Not sure how it is now. Funny thing is when Pasqualoni took over they relaxed the standards for him. Even then, Paul was trying to get potted plants into the school. He didn't like any restrictions, LOL.
Logan Marchi was what year of PP regime? It was still going on at that time.

Reaction Score
Nothing to discuss. He's paid to write something, and usually it's negative when it comes to UConn.
Except people pick this stuff up and repeat it. Heard the exact same wording on SiriusXM as if they just copy pasted it.

Reaction Score
Walked away???? You really believe that? It looks more like him being forced out. It looks as though he wanted to leave at season's end (on his terms), but the powers that be said no to that and out now
I'm not sure DB intended to push him out. But if Randy publicly announced his own exit strategy without consulting him first that was probably the last straw. Just took Dave a few hours to marinate and recognize what had happened, and then encounter more intransigence over the approach to the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
Too much credit with troll designation.....

I used to believe these stories....now I question whether its all just more smoke to shift and deflect blame. Is UConn really running a tighter academic ship than Boston College? I am sure academics is limiting us compared to others, its just a question of to what degree and I am wondering if this is overblown.
Not overblown, at least back then.

There were guys that Randy recruited back in 2000s that UConn wouldn't touch late in his first tenure. Before UConn recruits a player and offers, they check out his grades and academics etc. That's contingent on the offer and if they are going to get denied, there is no reason to recruit.

Think back, Nate Miles struggled to get admitted and Calhoun had to pull out all the stops to get him into school. It was around the same time frame, so there definitely was scrutiny on the academic profiles of athletes. Perhaps a directive from the school president.

There are players who UConn won't even bother with because they can't get into the school, even though they may technically be minimally eligible by the NCAA.

Don't forget, Pasqualoni had guys sign on and they never made it to campus because they got denied admission. Not going to name them, but there were maybe 3-4 guys this happened to. Also, know of two former NFL players who would have went to UConn but were non-starters academically.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom