DiMauro: “The ‘new’ Big East: Is that all there is?“ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DiMauro: “The ‘new’ Big East: Is that all there is?“

Reaction Score
Everything is hyperbolic. There is a small kernel of truth in saying DH needs to step it up in year 4. A lot of the good work done to get into the tourney was lost in the way they fizzled in the BET and NCAA Tourney . But it’s crazy to say he hasn’t improved things.

Reaction Score
In other words, Uconn needs to keep showing its a program progressing.

Facts!

Reaction Score
Record after 3 seasons 50-37 for DH. Jim Calhoun after 3 seasons 47-46. Now of course this isnt a an apples to apples comparison but people need to chill. It took DH 5 years to really get it going at RI and right now hes ahead of that already. I fully expect 25+ wins next season and a top 3 seed.
Wow.

From your lips to God's ears.

Reaction Score
I think DiMauro's a duck___ loser, but it's not like people haven't posted on here that Hurley's on the hot seat next year without a tournament run.

Hurley is as far from a hot seat as a Stark sitting on the throne in the North. He has made the team much better each of the three years he has been here. He has a recipe that the Athletic Department believes in == recruit well and play hard. Even if he was Jim Calhoun, he will have years where the team isn’t as good as the year before. Next year may be one of them.

Saying that not making a “tournament run” next year puts him on the hot seat is just dumb.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It's pretty easy to see when a media (print or other) person is egocentric instead of storycentric. Sadly, they usually never change so best to put on ignore. It's not about them and they aren't even aware that they think it's about them all the while hiding behind "the story".

Reaction Score
This line tells you all you need to know about the story and the writer:

“Football's newly relegated status as an independent gives it a 2021 home schedule with Holy Cross, Yale, Wyoming and Middle Tennessee, among others.”

Among others is Purdue.

The only reason you would skip mentioning the Big Ten team by name when it is shorter than the words you are replacing naming it with is if you are a complete hack ignoring facts that don’t fit your agenda.

Reaction Score
Don’t know how old this bcu hack is but maybe he was a student at some point during UConn’s wonderfully long hoop winning streak in the 90s. That definitely left a mark on those fans and alums. Love to feel the hate from him

Reaction Score
This line tells you all you need to know about the story and the writer:

“Football's newly relegated status as an independent gives it a 2021 home schedule with Holy Cross, Yale, Wyoming and Middle Tennessee, among others.”

Among others is Purdue.

The only reason you would skip mentioning the Big Ten team by name when it is shorter than the words you are replacing naming it with is if you are a complete hack ignoring facts that don’t fit your agenda.

... and Houston (which of course is an AAC school who would have likely been on the schedule anyways)

Reaction Score
if his point was that the NBE is a meaningful disappointment in terms of quality of play, then the article makes sense. The conference is not nearly as good as we all remembered or hoped. And if Wright leaves, there is really nothing left. Sorry, but Creighton and Butler and Xavier are mid-major programs in another part of the world. I'd argue that the BE needs UConn to succeed a lot more than anyone wants to admit. You watch the P5 teams and the athletes they have versus the mediocrity of the BE...its meaningful. And its not going to get better. The P5 will continue to wrestle away the best talent and the best coaches. And if there is a rule about staying in college for at least 2 years, then the disparity will only increase.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Hurley is as far from a hot seat as a Stark sitting on the throne in the North. He has made the team much better each of the three years he has been here. He has a recipe that the Athletic Department believes in == recruit well and play hard. Even if he was Jim Calhoun, he will have years where the team isn’t as good as the year before. Next year may be one of them.

Saying that ot making a “tournament run” next year puts him on the hot seat is just dumb.

It doesnt put him on the hot seat. He's safe and should be. But the CW here since Hurley's hire was "wait until year 3" Year 3 was pretty underwhelming on the whole, however because it was a broken season with Covid pauses, and unequal schedules, and just general mayhem, I can't really use it as a litmus test on program direction. It was a free year, and hey we did make tourney which is a positive, and showed some progress. Next year is year 4 in what I can only surmise as being as normal a season as possible considering the state of the pandemic. No one should ever expect a NC, but expecting a great regular season and a good tourney seed so we can roll our dice in the tourney like everyone else is a bar that needs to be crossed. Losing to Nova and Creighton 4x while beating everyone else will not cut it, the next test is actually winning top of league and (high ranked )OOC games. Not all of them, but Im tired of mostly rolling over for teams with a number next to their name. Thats been a troubling holdover from the previous regimes days. I think we are inching in right direction though.

One thing I dont want to hear about is injuries. Every team has injuries.

Reaction Score
It’s kinda true. Getting bounced in the first round by Maryland. Isn’t going to be enough going forward. Time to start winning.
Yes, but there was a tone to the writing that Hurley has us all fooled and wants to lower expectations and he will be unconditionally praised by the fanbase and national writers. There is no evidence that is the case.

Also, other examples he used in the article were even more confusing. He shouldn't have even mentioned the women's basketball team. They are probably about to win back to back national championships and could go on one of those ridiculous winning streaks again.

And nobody said it would be easy for the football team as an independent so I'm not sure why that was brought up either.

Reaction Score
Here's an idea: why not let the new writers be actual basketball players/athletes/former coaches? Some of these sports columnists are much too full of themselves....

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
What's his problem? Is he another dork Hurley won't talk too?
His Twitter handle is BCGenius. He hates UConn and is a writer for a 4th tier New London based paper. His avatar has been a young boy and it terrifies me that the young boy is going to starve to death because there is no way he makes more than $20,000 a year or so. I hope the mother has a real job.

Reaction Score
Don’t know how old this bcu hack is but maybe he was a student at some point during UConn’s wonderfully long hoop winning streak in the 90s. That definitely left a mark on those fans and alums. Love to feel the hate from him
He graduated from BC in 1990. If I recall correctly UConn pretty much dominated BC for a full decade right about that time.

Reaction Score
if his point was that the NBE is a meaningful disappointment in terms of quality of play, then the article makes sense. The conference is not nearly as good as we all remembered or hoped. And if Wright leaves, there is really nothing left. Sorry, but Creighton and Butler and Xavier are mid-major programs in another part of the world. I'd argue that the BE needs UConn to succeed a lot more than anyone wants to admit. You watch the P5 teams and the athletes they have versus the mediocrity of the BE...its meaningful. And its not going to get better. The P5 will continue to wrestle away the best talent and the best coaches. And if there is a rule about staying in college for at least 2 years, then the disparity will only increase.

The Big East has one of the strongest crops of recruits coming in next year out of any league in Division 1. If you want to chat garbage, do it somewhere else. Otherwise, learn before you talk.

Reaction Score
I almost feel sorry for that guy. Some of those BC grads are simply too damaged. The combo of BCU, Pitt and Syracuse being rivals in the bottom half of a southern conference is taking its toll.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
remake bingo GIF

...aaaaaand you can stop reading right there. Someone is butthurt that their podunk rag isn't on the good list. Given drivel like this, can't imagine why.

Reaction Score
Cut away to DiMauro looking at the click activity:

We might just be making him enough money he can ditch Long John's and splurge for a special night out at Red Lobster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom