Diggins question after last week's game with Baylor | The Boneyard

Diggins question after last week's game with Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
(Rare poster but regular reader here)

Baylor has played Diggins three times in the last two years (home/home and Finals last year). In all three she has disappeared--even last year in Denver down the stretch when game was a 2-3 point margin she hardy ever called for the ball and stood outside the arc forcing her buds to do all the scoring--no leadership in any of the three games--no attempt to put the team on her shoulders.

Is that simply an Odyssey Sims factor when we olay them or is she TRULY an All-American in your league and numerous games?

Looking forward to being at the XL Center again in February (although I hope some of the home/home deals with you allow us to play at Gampel. I understand the size difference)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think the consensus here is that SD is a bit overrated. (At least that's MY consensus). She's certainly one of the better players in the country, but one of the top five? Depends. If you are going by position, then Odyssey is better than her at the 1 spot, no doubt about it. Muffet is a GREAT coach, I would say she's the second best coach in the country. Last year there were so many options on that team that Skylar could get lots of looks or drive at will, because you simply had to guard Novosel, Peters, Becca etc.

I really didn't like the way that ND played last season (throw yourself at the basket and hope for a foul call), but there's no doubt that it was effective. This season they are better than I expected, but I think that's mainly due to their Loyd being better than I thought and Muffet's coaching.

In short, I think SD is obviously a very good player. I don't know how effective she will be int he pros, I think her defense is a little suspect. At this point, I would love to see Kelly or KML get All-American over her. If not, then I'm sure they will take a NC.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I read part of that thread but we're in finals so I didn't wade through all of mit. I will though, at some point.

Although I'd put Muffet as the third best coach obviously behin geno and kim, I DO like the way her teams find open, good looks at the basket.

Reaction Score
I wish she would disappear against us, especially on Senior Night in March at ND>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think she's going to have a lot of trouble against UConn. Our upperclassmen are not going to forget the past two Final Fours.

Reaction Score
Baylorprof, I found it curious that your question completely omitted the biggest reason any player struggles against Baylor. Sims is a great player too, but when backstop Sims with Griner in the lane the point guards in the WNBA would likely struggle in her place on Notre Dame as well.

Diggins is an All-American player and in my opinion the best point guard in the country. I think many UConn fans go to far with the Diggins and Notre Dame backlash. Diggins has been the best player and clear leader of a team that went to consecutive National championship games and beat more talented UConn teams along the way. She's polished offensively and a far better passer than she is typically given credit for.

I actually thought she did a good job showing how good she actually is in the most recent Baylor game. She's going to be a very good, although probablyot great, WNBA player.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Simms is a better PG than Diggins, IMO. I'm sure that Diggins will win AA again this season, but I really think Simms, Kelly and KML deserve it over her. Won't happen. (Simms will, probably. And possibly KML.)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I agree that Sims is the best PG due to her defensive skills. As Burke pointed out, Sims is the best two-way PG in the country. If I were to be offered a trade for SD there is no chance I'd take that trade.

Reaction Score
I dont know how any others players are going to make the all america team when UConn is going to monopolize a third of the picks according to many on the BY.

Bria- who actually was an AA last year
Stewart- who will be NPOY candidate
Dolson- second best center in the country
KML- best shooter in the country
Faris- as mentioned in this and many other threads.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Simms is a better PG than Diggins, IMO. I'm sure that Diggins will win AA again this season, but I really think Simms, Kelly and KML deserve it over her. Won't happen. (Simms will, probably. And possibly KML.)

Thanks for visiting the Baylor board!

Reaction Score
(Rare poster but regular reader here)

Baylor has played Diggins three times in the last two years (home/home and Finals last year). In all three she has disappeared--even last year in Denver down the stretch when game was a 2-3 point margin she hardy ever called for the ball and stood outside the arc forcing her buds to do all the scoring--no leadership in any of the three games--no attempt to put the team on her shoulders.

Is that simply an Odyssey Sims factor when we olay them or is she TRULY an All-American in your league and numerous games?

Looking forward to being at the XL Center again in February (although I hope some of the home/home deals with you allow us to play at Gampel. I understand the size difference)

This might be the most ridiculous statement I've ever read about Diggins. Apparently you didn't really watch any of the games that you claim Diggins disappeared. Difficult to "force your buds" to do the scoring when she was the leading scorer for ND in every single match-up prior to the most recent game. She had a 22pt scoring average against Baylor and it still stands at 19 pts after the last game.. The game in Denver was never within 2-3 points down the stretch. Not sure what game your even talking about. Lack of leadership is the one thing that you would never hear anyone associated with basketball ever claim about Diggins. You can make claims about talent, but leadership is not on the table when questioning Diggins.

There is no "Odyssey factor". Until last week their numbers have been on par with each other. Diggins leads in some categories, Sims in others. Diggins has scored and led her team against the best competition the past couple of years without exception. Diggins and Sims have been on the same team before and it was Diggins who was better. Sims is a great defender and can be deadly from 3pt range, but lets not forget she has 6'8 to throw the ball to. She has shown on more than one occasion that maturity and leadership may not be her best attributes.

A couple of the box scores for you to tell me where exactly she was a no show:

http://www.und.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2011-2012/ndbu-w.html

http://www.und.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2011-2012/ndbu2-w.html

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think the consensus here is that SD is a bit overrated. (At least that's MY consensus). She's certainly one of the better players in the country, but one of the top five? Depends. If you are going by position, then Odyssey is better than her at the 1 spot, no doubt about it. Muffet is a GREAT coach, I would say she's the second best coach in the country. Last year there were so many options on that team that Skylar could get lots of looks or drive at will, because you simply had to guard Novosel, Peters, Becca etc.

I really didn't like the way that ND played last season (throw yourself at the basket and hope for a foul call), but there's no doubt that it was effective. This season they are better than I expected, but I think that's mainly due to their Loyd being better than I thought and Muffet's coaching.

In short, I think SD is obviously a very good player. I don't know how effective she will be int he pros, I think her defense is a little suspect. At this point, I would love to see Kelly or KML get All-American over her. If not, then I'm sure they will take a NC.
Additionally, I think Achonwa is MUCH better than most on here were willing to give her credit for. Milford and I were one of the few who agreed that Achonwa was going to be really solid for them this year, and she's the leading scorer on their team at 14.8 PPG.

And I agree - Loyd is better than I thought as well. She will give Bree a run for her money for BE FOY...I do have to wonder how the hype for Skyler will possibly change as the year progresses. If she remains as the 3rd or 4th leading scorer on her team, will people come to the conclusion that she's not as "great" as was earlier thought? Going to be an interesting story to follow for sure...

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I do have to wonder how the hype for Skyler will possibly change as the year progresses. If she remains as the 3rd or 4th leading scorer on her team, will people come to the conclusion that she's not as "great" as was earlier thought? Going to be an interesting story to follow for sure...

If she is the 3rd or 4th leading scorer, but is averaging 8+ assists (with a good A/TO ratio), it will look great, especially since Notre Dame lost three key players to graduation. Putting up those numbers this year means she is making the players around her better, rather than just being a product of better players around her.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If she is the 3rd or 4th leading scorer, but is averaging 8+ assists (with a good A/TO ratio), it will look great, especially since Notre Dame lost three key players to graduation. Putting up those numbers this year means she is making the players around her better, rather than just being a product of better players around her.

She is basically averaging the same assists per game 5.7 last year vs 5.9 this year.

But her scoring is down 16.8 vs 12.9, her assits/to is worse 2.2 vs 1.6, her fg% is down .500 vs .337, her 3 point % is down .355 vs .222.

She just is not playing at the level this year so far. Certainly not AA level.

She is certainly talented enough to change that.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
She is basically averaging the same assists per game 5.7 last year vs 5.9 this year.

But her scoring is down 16.8 vs 12.9, her assits/to is worse 2.2 vs 1.6, her fg% is down .500 vs .337, her 3 point % is down .355 vs .222.

She just is not playing at the level this year so far. Certainly not AA level.

She is certainly talented enough to change that.
I can't see her advancing her assists very much with no Novasel or Peters.. Loyd will help keep her close to previous levels.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
How many hairstyle changes per game? Last season she averaged 1.4, maybe that will go up this season..

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Perhaps her interaction with a celebrity admirer is affecting her play. Remember Tony Romo's Simpson Slump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom