Diggins Johnson Springs Time | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diggins Johnson Springs Time

Reaction Score
Fwiw, Izzo played 11 guys.
He substituted 3 at once pretty early in the first half.
Only 8 Huskies played.
This. Izzo might be insufferable, but he’s a good coach. He knew to take advantage of our possible fatigue and made wholesale substitutions early in the game. Win or lose yesterday, the back to back games in Atlantis will pay dividends during the conference tournament. I almost think yesterday’s loss has more value than a win in that regard.

Reaction Score
Today we gave Akok time replacing Whaley. Gaffney has had his chance at the point. Sonogo doesn't pass out of post.
Diggins Johnson and Springs have have all shown they can play. Time to give them some time
LOL. Back in the day there was a manager who walked Pesky to get to Williams, so I suppose replacing our best player with a guy who doesn’t get off the bench is something someone might do.

Reaction Score
Seniors send a message. Somebody! No time for excuses.
We all have seen enough of this crap. How tough are we?
Coachn I think the closest you ever got to playing in an actual game was elementary school playground where you were picked last. I think even most is the special Ed kids were picked ahead of you. Chill out

Reaction Score
What we really need is for Cole (if he doesn't pick up a phantom call fifth foul) to possess the ball/dribble until he is fouled so he can go to the line and pick up easy points. For some reason this hasn't been executed the last two years and we have to get better at closing out games slowing down to avoid bad shots and turnovers.

Reaction Score
I also like having athletic wing/guards like AJ or Martin run out ahead to receive pass and go in for dunk/layup- getting too cautious means not seeing opportunities to pad the lead too. But only if there!

Reaction Score
These reactions are ridiculous. This team has high expectations for sure. But that wasn't a mid major we were playing. We were playing a legit team, down a starter coming off of a double overtime game (having played the later game of the day the day before, less than 24 hours earlier) with another starter injured. I mean it clearly showed as we had sea legs early and started slow. Those are excuses against low and mid majors and your depth and sheer talent should overweigh them but against a very good Michigan St team those are more of reasons we didn't come out on top. You can also throw in some terrible calls by the refs in the last minute of the game.

Could we have done some more to win? Sure. Making clutch free throws. Not being blatantly predictable with the entry pass to Sanogo in the post at the end (How about isolate a side of the floor and go ball screen roll lob to Jackson or Tyrese at the end there...just a thought)... But ultimately anyone crying for the guys at the end of the bench just shows why you have no idea. You make the assumption that Hurley has no idea what those guys are capable of. But you guys sit there and read the papers and read way to much into all the "potential" talk that comes out and think well Diggins and Samson are the next NBAers so they must be ready for a big time game early in the season.

Count me as one who thinks Gaff brings more to the table right now then Diggins and it really isn't close. Thats not some big commendation of Gaff as much as it is a knock on what I've seen from Diggins albeit in minimal sample size so far. Diggins doesn't look like he can play defense at all at this level. The fact is that he has been routinely beat off the dribble by low level D1 guys and offensively his shot nor his playmaking has looked ready to contribute any more then Gaff.
DH has called SJ a future lottery pick, yet after the Auburn game he said he has "nine guys he can play". Is SJ suddenly a bench warmer unworthy of even a few minutes of time in a meaningful game, especially with IW out against MSU?

RD came in with a big resume. PA player of the year, 2 times Catholic League player of the year, and many more, yet DH couldn't see what you've seen in his 26 minutes of playing time.......he can't play defense as well as our other guards. Those other guards, by the way, gave up 27 and 19 to Auburn guards averaging 15.8 and 12.6.

What really sucks is shortening your bench in November and losing not only a game but also the opportunity to slowly bring along your new players to get them ready for March and April.

Reaction Score
DH has called SJ a future lottery pick, yet after the Auburn game he said he has "nine guys he can play". Is SJ suddenly a bench warmer unworthy of even a few minutes of time in a meaningful game, especially with IW out against MSU?

RD came in with a big resume. PA player of the year, 2 times Catholic League player of the year, and many more, yet DH couldn't see what you've seen in his 26 minutes of playing time.......he can't play defense as well as our other guards. Those other guards, by the way, gave up 27 and 19 to Auburn guards averaging 15.8 and 12.6.

What really sucks is shortening your bench in November and losing not only a game but also the opportunity to slowly bring along your new players to get them ready for March and April.
There's a reason he said "future". He didn't say a lottery pick next year. Kid has plenty of room to grow and doesn't look physically ready for the game. Could we have seen him a little bit in that game? Maybe..But I certainly haven't seen anything in the first cupcake games that says he needs to play. He's certainly not head and shoulders over Akok, Jackson, Polley, or Tyrese (the guys who played his 4 spot).

And as for RD, I don't know what to tell you. If you didn't watch the cupcake games I suggest you do. If you watched those games and you still think he should play right now, then I don't have anytime to waste in a convo about that one. I've seen him literally get blown by by guys named Joe Ostrosky (CCSU) twice, or go watch Andre Washington (LIU) go right by him and then rip him on the next play at about the 5 min mark left in that game. These are low level players. Guys who didn't even get mid-major offers and they made him look bad. But you are probably right we need to play him more against elite level competition in the beginning of the year.

Reaction Score
Wait….. You want less Sonogo more Johnson and Springs? No

Diggins over Gaffney? Maybe
He is a ball hog and has no clock awareness... but he is awesome too. I am surprised that Hurley lets him get the ball so much. I would love to see Hawkins get confident before the BE Conference games

Reaction Score
I'm so relieved we won today. Did you notice the support the young players gave the veterans. That's what players with a great attitude do.
We'll see them helping the team on the floor in the near future.

Reaction Score
Coachn I think the closest you ever got to playing in an actual game was elementary school playground where you were picked last. I think even most is the special Ed kids were picked ahead of you. Chill out
How many games did you coach? My coaching record speaks for itself.

Reaction Score
No it doesn’t, dude, this is an anonymous internet message board. No one knows who you are here.

(Very cute dog though.)
Yeah...I noticed that dog also. I like. Kinda just chillin.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wait….. You want less Sonogo more Johnson and Springs? No

Diggins over Gaffney? Maybe
Today we gave Akok time replacing Whaley. Gaffney has had his chance at the point. Sonogo doesn't pass out of post.
Diggins Johnson and Springs have have all shown they can play. Time to give them some time
ESPN said sonogo is 6’7 at best. Samson is definitely taller.

Reaction Score
ESPN said sonogo is 6’7 at best. Samson is definitely taller.
6' 7.5" but I think he is a legit 6'8" standing next to other players. You aren't thinking Samson can play center?

Reaction Score
Please ,all of you , trust Hurley he is the coach. We do need another ball handler. If Diggins is ready Hurley will put him in , if not he will go with the best option available.
Springs and Sampson will get more time ,if and when coach Hurley feels than can contribute more than the players he has in there now.

May I point out we are 4-1 I know we have a few problems but I am more optimistic about this team and this season that I have been since Calhoun was coach.

Reaction Score
Please ,all of you , trust Hurley he is the coach. We do need another ball handler. If Diggins is ready Hurley will put him in , if not he will go with the best option available.
Springs and Sampson will get more time ,if and when coach Hurley feels than can contribute more than the players he has in there now.

May I point out we are 4-1 I know we have a few problems but I am more optimistic about this team and this season that I have been since Calhoun was coach.
6-1

Reaction Score
I have a confession to make to the yard. When "The Wrench" Whaley took his head and banged it hard right into the stanchion under the the basket after the dunk It was like my own head hitting the Stanchion hard in celebration! I might have followed it up with a couple more rocky punches to that stanchion. I bet coach husky429 who told me to relax and big E who went nuts at MSG understand! SuperJohn and I could be on concussion protocol! Together! if you boneyard data miners like temery fishy flued and mauconn check my posting history you will see coach n was one of the biggest Whaley supporters early in his career. Especially during the ollieoyster tears I mean years! Anyways just finished listening to Sister Sledge we are family toon since this post or thread included a little of the good the bad and ugly and I know we all want to win ! Coach n

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I have a confession to make to the yard. When "The Wrench" Whaley took his head and banged it hard right into the stanchion under the the basket after the dunk It was like my own head hitting the Stanchion hard in celebration! I might have followed it up with a couple more rocky punches to that stanchion. I bet coach husky429 who told me to relax and big E who went nuts at MSG understand! SuperJohn and I could be on concussion protocol! Together! if you boneyard data miners like temery fishy flued and mauconn check my posting history you will see coach n was one of the biggest Whaley supporters early in his career. Especially during the ollieoyster tears I mean years! Anyways just finished listening to Sister Sledge we are family toon since this post or thread included a little of the good the bad and ugly and I know we all want to win ! Coach n
Please keep posting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom