Diggins Johnson Springs Time | The Boneyard

Diggins Johnson Springs Time

Reaction Score
Today we gave Akok time replacing Whaley. Gaffney has had his chance at the point. Sonogo doesn't pass out of post.
Diggins Johnson and Springs have have all shown they can play. Time to give them some time

Reaction Score
Maybe a taste of this might stir things up . These guys are high ranking. When you lose you are justified in doing some things to motivate everybody.
Hate to lose to Sparty or anybody. Am pissed at what happened today.
Too many lose balls 50 50 that we didn't find. Time for a lose ball drill . Get some bodies hitting each other to see who wants game time.
LOSING IS UNACCEPTABLE.

Reaction Score
At some point these guys are going to have to get minutes. They are going to be big pieces to the puzzle next year (maybe even this year), so they need to get some in game experience. Maybe not tomorrow, but I would like to see what they have with more playing time coming up when we face Grambling and MD East Shore.

Reaction Score
FAT CATS after Auburn. You would think we won the NATY.
After Whaley put out so much he had to sit the bench and watch that today. A CRIME.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We lost a close game to a decent team missing one of our best defenders and our 3 point shooters didn’t hit the broad side of an aircraft carrier. We are not a team that goes unbeaten and we are a team that will beat some good teams. Would I like to see a Diggins play some, yup. But it was not going to happen today the way this game was going. We made a really good come back and had a really bad call and a really bad pass cost us and likely Martin was fouled on the play he stepped out of bounds on the rebound . I haven’t a clue where Diggins, Johnson or Springs would’ve been inserted. Certainly not when we were coming back. I have major doubts that we are anywhere near winning this game if Diggins got Gaffney minutes or Johnson or Springs got significant playing time. But I agree with you that it would be great if those guys could be used in some games in the early part of the schedule to get some experience and maybe show that they can be trusted. As I said, Diggins is the one I’m most curious about.

Reaction Score
Seniors send a message. Somebody! No time for excuses.
We all have seen enough of this crap. How tough are we?

Reaction Score
We lost a close game to a decent team missing one of our best defenders and our 3 point shooters didn’t hit the broad side of an aircraft carrier. We are not a team that goes unbeaten and we are a team that will beat some good teams. Would I like to see a Diggins play some, yup. But it was not going to happen today the way this game was going. We made a really good come back and had a really bad call and a really bad pass cost us and likely Martin was fouled on the play he stepped out of bounds on the rebound . I haven’t a clue where Diggins, Johnson or Springs would’ve been inserted. Certainly not when we were coming back. I have major doubts that we are anywhere near winning this game if Diggins got Gaffney minutes or Johnson or Springs got significant playing time. But I agree with you that it would be great if those guys could be used in some games in the early part of the schedule to get some experience and maybe show that they can be trusted. As I said, Diggins is the one I’m most curious about.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
GIF by Futurithmic

Reaction Score
Not withstanding crazytown, I would like to see more Johnson and Diggins. I understand the tendency to romance the undiscovered after a loss, but as we play good teams we are starting to see the limitations of some of the players in our rotation. I love our coach but I also don't like sidelining talenting freshman when some of the people logging minutes struggle in certain situations. I just hope the rotation isn't settled. Hope there is an open mind going forward and there isn't stubborness towards experience. It seems to lean that way in certain situations which would be ok if it was actually paying off on the court.

Reaction Score
When was the last time SPARTY won 4 titles? Who are they? Inferior team to us today this season..Sick of BY making excuses for the team.
In Sparty game saw Jordan break down the lane WIDE open in offensive set during critical part of game and he didn't get the ball. Whats going on here.Hes not only not in the game but when he is in he's not getting the ball. If this happened when I was coaching that would be an immediate TO and the player who looked at him and didn't get him the ball would be next to me on the bench for a LONG time.
Bottom line is the seniors need to communicate to the team that this losing stops NOW. Get behind by 20 in the first half by not being ready to play then blowing a 10 point lead with 2 minutes to go. Under Calhoun there would be HELL to, pay.

Reaction Score
When was the last time SPARTY won 4 titles? Who are they? Inferior team to us today this season..Sick of BY making excuses for the team.
In Sparty game saw Jordan break down the lane WIDE open in offensive set during critical part of game and he didn't get the ball. Whats going on here.Hes not only not in the game but when he is in he's not getting the ball. If this happened when I was coaching that would be an immediate TO and the player who looked at him and didn't get him the ball would be next to me on the bench for a LONG time.
Bottom line is the seniors need to communicate to the team that this losing stops NOW. Get behind by 20 in the first half by not being ready to play then blowing a 10 point lead with 2 minutes to go. Under Calhoun there would be HELL to, pay.
Coachn had a good Thanksgiving, so did I. UConn should be a lot better than MSU, they barfed it up late again, they have a habit of being better than teams and barfing it up late...here's to no more barfing.

Reaction Score
Hurley has said multiple times over the past week that "we go 9 deep". So, unless injuries force him to go deeper I think the above noted guys are going to only see spot time (blow outs, foul trouble, etc.) from here on; unless they show in practice that they have to get rotational minutes.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
DH has to start playing Diggins more, they desperately need another ball handler and penetration against man D. Auburn and MSU really harassed our dribblers. They didn’t fear getting beat.

Reaction Score
With our deep bench in comparison we played 8 Izzo played 11. We have Diggins and Johnson who could start for most D1 teams.
The bench failed us yesterday. We need a new bench.
About time Cole,Whaley,Polley and Martin put an end fast to this Ollie Era junk.
You can't tell me Johnson would have gone 0 for 20 like Akok or that Diggins would get us the end of the game we got yesterday.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Today we gave Akok time replacing Whaley. Gaffney has had his chance at the point. Sonogo doesn't pass out of post.
Diggins Johnson and Springs have have all shown they can play. Time to give them some time
Face palm

Reaction Score
Probably in hindsight but I felt Springs or Johnson could have used up some of the minutes Akok played. Akok was getting eaten up inside and on offense he does not look for his shot

Reaction Score
With our deep bench in comparison we played 8 Izzo played 11. We have Diggins and Johnson who could start for most D1 teams.
The bench failed us yesterday. We need a new bench.
About time Cole,Whaley,Polley and Martin put an end fast to this Ollie Era junk.
You can't tell me Johnson would have gone 0 for 20 like Akok or that Diggins would get us the end of the game we got yesterday.
Did you get a nad stomach ache from your Thanksgiving dinner?

Reaction Score
DH has to start playing Diggins more, they desperately need another ball handler and penetration against man D. Auburn and MSU really harassed our dribblers. They didn’t fear getting beat.

Completely agree with this take. And this would allow Gaffney to play more off the ball where I think he is more effective than running point.

Reaction Score

Gaffney showed he could play versus the first 4 teams as well. Not as much against the 2 better programs this week. While I like the thought of lighting the fire by no means is it time for throwing out these kids in the middle of winnable games. They need to outplay others in practice before that happens.

Reaction Score
These reactions are ridiculous. This team has high expectations for sure. But that wasn't a mid major we were playing. We were playing a legit team, down a starter coming off of a double overtime game (having played the later game of the day the day before, less than 24 hours earlier) with another starter injured. I mean it clearly showed as we had sea legs early and started slow. Those are excuses against low and mid majors and your depth and sheer talent should overweigh them but against a very good Michigan St team those are more of reasons we didn't come out on top. You can also throw in some terrible calls by the refs in the last minute of the game.

Could we have done some more to win? Sure. Making clutch free throws. Not being blatantly predictable with the entry pass to Sanogo in the post at the end (How about isolate a side of the floor and go ball screen roll lob to Jackson or Tyrese at the end there...just a thought)... But ultimately anyone crying for the guys at the end of the bench just shows why you have no idea. You make the assumption that Hurley has no idea what those guys are capable of. But you guys sit there and read the papers and read way to much into all the "potential" talk that comes out and think well Diggins and Samson are the next NBAers so they must be ready for a big time game early in the season.

Count me as one who thinks Gaff brings more to the table right now then Diggins and it really isn't close. Thats not some big commendation of Gaff as much as it is a knock on what I've seen from Diggins albeit in minimal sample size so far. Diggins doesn't look like he can play defense at all at this level. The fact is that he has been routinely beat off the dribble by low level D1 guys and offensively his shot nor his playmaking has looked ready to contribute any more then Gaff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom