OT: - Diets | The Boneyard

OT: Diets

Reaction Score
Yes the worst topic in the world:)
For two months I've been eating 3/4 of a veggie sub from Subway-- all veggies and I cut into 1/4 eating 3 a day. I add two egg whites to each one and have one bowl of oatmeal in the am with one small glass of ok then water all day I've lost 17 pounds in 9 weeks and it really doesn't feel like I'm deprived in anyway.

Reaction Score
Well done, man. Even forgetting that Subway blows, sticking to any kind of restrictive diet for 2+ months is way more than what is capable of most people. Keep it up

Now eat some meat/dairy and see how bloated you get lmao don't go back

Reaction Score
Well done, man. Even forgetting that Subway blows, sticking to any kind of restrictive diet for 2+ months is way more than what is capable of most people. Keep it up

Now eat some meat/dairy and see how bloated you get lmao don't go back

I am doing basically doing the completely opposite - basically all dairy, meat, veg. No sugar, no carbs. Feels great, lost 20 lbs, tomorrow will be 6 weeks. As you know - its just physics, calories in v calories out. Any diet comes down to will power. My blood pressure is lower 6 weeks later. This was my initial impetus is trying this diet (reading about positive effects on BP).

Reaction Score
I am doing basically doing the completely opposite - basically all dairy, meat, veg. No sugar, no carbs. Feels great, lost 20 lbs, tomorrow will be 6 weeks. As you know - its just physics, calories in v calories out. Any diet comes down to will power. My blood pressure is lower 6 weeks later. This was my initial impetus is trying this diet (reading about positive effects on BP).
That's great for you, eliminating bad carbs. Now I'm not a doctor, but I do believe the accepted wisdom in cardiology is that high (or really any) intake of saturated fat and cholesterol is really not good.

And are you telling me you are avoiding fruit...?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
For two months I've been eating 3/4 of a veggie sub from Subway-- all veggies and I cut into 1/4 eating 3 a day. I add two egg whites to each one and have one bowl of oatmeal in the am with one small glass of ok then water all day I've lost 17 pounds in 9 weeks and it really doesn't feel like I'm deprived in anyway.
EXCELLENT & WELL DONE
Keep it up

Reaction Score
My compliments also, I assume you exercise also. But what happens when you get tired of eating Subway or you are ready for a change of food choice?

That's usually when I slip up.

Reaction Score
That's great for you, eliminating bad carbs. Now I'm not a doctor, but I do believe the accepted wisdom in cardiology is that high (or really any) intake of saturated fat and cholesterol is really not good.

And are you telling me you are avoiding fruit...?

Yea the premise is that saturated fats of high quality (think coconut oil) are actually good for you and that carbs are the devil, or something like that. It is a high fat, medium protein, no carb diet. I'm keeping an eye on my bloodwork since it sounds wonky but I feel great so far. I'm a big podcast guy and I keep hearing people hype it up so I decided to give it a shot.

In reality, moderation of everything is probably the best bet. No way I want to restrict myself long term. I think you may have harped on this before but I'd like to think I can go vegetarian, but add carbs. Because pizza.

Last edited:

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I cut out most carbs and sugar and cut my drinking way last July. Hit boot camp 5 or 6 days a week and have lost 50lbs. A funky subway diet obviously isn't sustainable long term so I'd suggest something that is.

Reaction Score
I am doing basically doing the completely opposite - basically all dairy, meat, veg. No sugar, no carbs.
I did this a while back. High fat, extreme low carb and lost about 70 pounds in 6 months. Was a very easy plan to stick to if you get through the first few weeks of sugar detox. Unfortunately after 6 months I caught the flu. I'm the type of person that after throwing up, anything I ate in the past week makes me want to throw up again. So all of the food on my diet was immediately moved to the top of the no fly list. Diet over.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Good for you Scrappy. I need to do the same. 2 month sago my Doc labeled me Diabetic. My AC1 or 1AC (whatever) was 7.0 But the ceiling was 6.5. So exerciser and try to diet. Other than that see you in six months. NOW, the gurus in the sky decide to drop the tops to 5.8. Now all kinds of bells and whistles went off. Carbs, Carbs.Watch your carbs. Everything is good, liver, heart,kidneys, Cholesterol. All is great. One gal told me to deduct Dietary Fiber grams from Carb grams, and that will give you the correct carb intake. I don't know.I am getting tired of it. I asked.."okay I am diabetic, how am I supposed to feel. Faint? Throw up? Grow an additional toe? Nobody can explain it to me. So, I quit soft drinks. Used to drink V8 Veggie juice and 50 50 Orange juice. Nope all juice is sugar. Frankly I am very tied of this BS.

Reaction Score
My compliments also, I assume you exercise also. But what happens when you get tired of eating Subway or you are ready for a change of food choice?

That's usually when I slip up.
I don't mind staying the course for time being but I think the 4 smaller meals whatever I'm eating will eventually be the way to go

Reaction Score

I lost almost 80 pounds in the last 10 months. 268 to 189. (About) i tried similar diets and you just yo yo or go to jail( subway jared joke). Find a good nutritionist (certified) which your insurance will cover. Fad diets do not work for 99% of people like you are on. Most of my issues was based on portion control. Try myfitnesspal app to figure out your cal intake is a day.

Reaction Score
I lost almost 80 pounds in the last 10 months. 268 to 189. (About) i tried similar diets and you just yo yo or go to jail( subway jared joke). Find a good nutritionist (certified) which your insurance will cover. Fad diets do not work for 99% of people like you are on. Most of my issues was based on portion control. Try myfitnesspal app to figure out your cal intake is a day.

That is incredibly impressive. You must look like a new person.

I did this a while back. High fat, extreme low carb and lost about 70 pounds in 6 months. Was a very easy plan to stick to if you get through the first few weeks of sugar detox. Unfortunately after 6 months I caught the flu. I'm the type of person that after throwing up, anything I ate in the past week makes me want to throw up again. So all of the food on my diet was immediately moved to the top of the no fly list. Diet over.

The good thing about that diet is that once you become "fat adapted" your appetite basically disappears. I'm able to eat something like 1200 calories a day and have no hunger, and then hit the gym 5 nights a week. The bad thing is that you really can't cheat, but I do. After a cheat day, I send my body out of ketosis and literally piss out 5 pounds of water weight over the next day. Makes a weird scene at work.

Reaction Score
Fantastic results , congrats. Can we now call you Husky66?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Great job. I've done pretty much the same since August and get 60 minutes of exercise six days a week and have lost 50.

I've been preaching to people about the nutritionist and it being covered by insurance. More people need to know. It's a lot cheaper and better than taking meds and seeing a cardiologist. I think @Dogbreath2U was the first one to tell me about it.

Bottom line: there's no getting around the fact that a balanced diet and regular exercise work. If you want them to work long term you have to find a way to make it something you can live with for the rest of your life. Nutritionists can help you come up with the roadmap that works for you and just as importantly help weed out the bunk.

Reaction Score
Yea the premise is that saturated fats of high quality (think coconut oil) are actually good for you and that carbs are the devil, or something like that. It is a high fat, medium protein, no carb diet. I'm keeping an eye on my bloodwork since it sounds wonky but I feel great so far. I'm a big podcast guy and I keep hearing people hype it up so I decided to give it a shot.

In reality, moderation of everything is probably the best bet. No way I want to restrict myself long term. I think you may have harped on this before but I'd like to think I can go vegetarian, but add carbs. Because pizza.
tl;dr I personally appreciate the short-term benefits of that kind of diet, but in the end the long-term health and moral implications of a diet that requires the macro-nutrient profile it does, I'm now plant-based and it's really changed how I see food and nutrition.

I did exactly what you're talking about for a few years when I was about 22-25 and lifting a lot, kicking grad school's ass, and banging college girls all over Boston in the three years I lived there. Arguably the best years of my life so far. High-carb, low-fat on working days; low-carb, high-fat on rest days; high protein throughout. I was eating up to 6 servings of peanut butter each rest day by the spoon. I certainly felt great, got in to the shape I still essentially am in 18 months later, and was the strongest I've ever been thus far. I should say that I was also doing this quite "cleanly" in the sense that my carbs mostly came from navy beans out the can.

I lost my strength and have been slowly crawling back ever since after a bad case of mono I caught in Chicago but that's a whole other story. Just making that point so that it's made clear I didn't lose strength because of my diet change.

The way I transitioned is to vegetarian first then eventually to a plant-based diet. Meeting a lot of vegetarian girls helped for sure but I started, over my last year or so in Boston, by not buying meat at the store. I substituted soy and seitan and used them as substitutes. I would still order meat dishes at/from from restaurants whenever I wanted. Then after a while of that, and falling in love with Thai, Vietnamese, and Indian cuisines while in Boston, I realized how easy being vegetarian actually is. I also watched "Earthlings" thanks to one of those veggie chicks, and then that kicked off me watching like 4 more documentaries about the farm and food industries. That's when I had to give up meat. Then I did essentially the same process with eggs and dairy when I moved out to Vegas and figured I cut out meat easily enough, and knew how cruel the egg and dairy industries are, so I no longer had an excuse to consume those. I have kept it going, quite easily now, in San Diego.

The only real difference at baseline now I've noticed is no GI symptoms from one sphincter to the other at all, unless I overdo the spiciness. I will say that I remember initially caving in the past after like 6 weeks and getting a meat-lovers pizza or something ridiculous, I could immediately feel my blood pressure rise. And my core would be markedly weaker in the gym the next morning. And my farts all reeked again. And, as I mentioned, the bloating and feeling of grossness

Last edited:
Reaction Score
tl;dr I personally appreciate the short-term benefits of that kind of diet, but in the end the long-term health and moral implications of a diet that requires the macro-nutrient profile it does, I'm now plant-based and it's really changed how I see food and nutrition.

I did exactly what you're talking about for a few years when I was about 22-25 and lifting a lot, kicking grad school's ass, and banging college girls all over Boston in the three years I lived there. Arguably the best years of my life so far. High-carb, low-fat on working days; low-carb, high-fat on rest days; high protein throughout. I was eating up to 6 servings of peanut butter each rest day by the spoon. I certainly felt great, got in to the shape I still essentially am in 18 months later, and was the strongest I've ever been thus far. I should say that I was also doing this quite "cleanly" in the sense that my carbs mostly came from navy beans out the can.

I lost my strength and have been slowly crawling back ever since after a bad case of mono I caught in Chicago but that's a whole other story. Just making that point so that it's made clear I didn't lose strength because of my diet change.

The way I transitioned is to vegetarian first then eventually to a plant-based diet. Meeting a lot of vegetarian girls helped for sure but I started, over my last year or so in Boston, by not buying meat at the store. I substituted soy and seitan and used them as substitutes. I would still order meat dishes at/from from restaurants whenever I wanted. Then after a while of that, and falling in love with Thai, Vietnamese, and Indian cuisines while in Boston, I realized how easy being vegetarian actually is. I also watched "Earthlings" thanks to one of those veggie chicks, and then that kicked off me watching like 4 more documentaries about the farm and food businesses. That's when I had to give up meat. Then I did essentially the same process with eggs and dairy when I moved out to Vegas and figured I cut out meat easily enough, and knew how cruel the egg and dairy industries are, so I no longer had an excuse to consume those. I have kept it going, quite easily now, in San Diego.

The only real difference at baseline now I've noticed is no GI symptoms from one sphincter to the other at all, unless I overdo the spiciness. I will say that I remember initially caving in the past after like 6 weeks and getting a meat-lovers pizza or something ridiculous, I could immediately feel my blood pressure rise. And my core would be markedly weaker in the gym the next morning. And my farts all reeked again. And, as I mentioned, the bloating and feeling of grossness

I appreciate this post and how in depth it is. I can relate to pieces of it as well. I basically want to follow this low carb diet and lift until I can get my BF to low double digits, which is probably a month away.

I have been substituting Beyond Meat products instead of meat the past 2 weeks after eating some janky capicola and getting irked. I believe it is pea protein based. I initially heard of them because I saw it being mentioned in the same breath as Impossible Foods which you may have heard of being in the food scene on the West Coast. I don't think it warrants the praise I have seen but its pretty decent.

I have went vegetarian 2x in my life for over a year. The first was after reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. I absolutely love bacon and burgers in general but the transition was pretty seamless. Not sure why I slipped off the wagon.

I have this idea that I want to actually hunt and kill an animal if I am going to eat it but being a kid from Fairfield County who has never shot a gun, this seems pretty idealistic. I was hiking in the woods and came across a freshly diseased deer and I was so disturbed by it. If something so natural grossed me out, I must be using some serious mental gymnastics to be ignoring the lives of the cattle and pigs I will willingly eat. I know I am sounding preachy. This is a complex issue, for sure.

Reaction Score
What worked for me. I bought a food scale(get one on amazon for under 25 dollars,restaurant use them regularly) and measured poritions. I increased my fiber (helped) and cut down on a few things like chips/beers after 8 and stupid carbs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom