OT: - Did you make a New Year's Resolution? If so, what is it? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Did you make a New Year's Resolution? If so, what is it?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
environmental law. worked at 2 firms for 3.5 years and cant make it through another. hoping to get in with the gov or a nonprofit

Here's hoping your resolution sticks. You don't have to love it but it helps if you at least enjoy what you do for a living. Good luck!

bad news bears cheers GIF

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
I've never been big on resolutions but I have resolved to start meditating daily this year. I think I am going to use Sam Harris's meditation app but I am interested in recommendations that others have found useful.

Did you make a resolution? What is it?

When I have made successful resolutions, part of making them successful was telling others about it, because it made me more accountable to keep it up. Hence this thread.
I attended weekly group meditations on Monday nights prior to Covid. It has since gone to zoom and I’d be happy to get you in contact with the folks that run it if interested. I prefer the in-person but either way it’s nice to go into, and come out of, a like-minded experience and chat about it with other people afterwards.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I remember the “Oh wah, ta fool, iamb” one from the Odd Couple!
Yep but goose, not fool, IIRC.

Reaction Score
I've found resolutions to be very useful over the years -- it's how I quit smoking,, cut back on junk food and red meat. In 2020 mine were no beer (check), 200 days of exercise (went for 188), and at least five minutes of Spanish duolingo every day (check).

I was able to drop 10 pounds and can competently order tapas. I am also now, at 44, older than my father, uncle and grandfather were when they each had their first heart attacks, which I consider a pretty big win.

2021 resolutions are 200 days of exercise, never more than 2 caffeinated drinks in a day and never more than 3 alcoholic drinks in a day.
My father had a heart attack at 34 and another that killed him at 37. I’m in my early 50’s. I know exactly what goes through your head so congrats on a good year and good luck on the next one.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My father had a heart attack at 34 and another that killed him at 37. I’m in my early 50’s. I know exactly what goes through your head so congrats on a good year and good luck on the next one.
Cripes, I though mine died young. 1st heart attack in '68, 2nd killed him in '71. He was 51. I have had a ton of scares due to a really nasty run with GERD, a somewhat enlarged heart and occasional arrythmia.I'll be 65 this year and no male on my dad's side has made it to 70. Thankfully mom's side lives to be plenty old and cranky.

Best of luck to all concerned about such things. Carpe diem as we don't know how many diems we get.

Reaction Score
Stress.. In whatever shape or form that it shows itself. .Is a silent killer.. Breaks the body down.. If you can find a way to channel the stress out of your body with a more positive outlet. .Exercise/Lifestyle changes/hobbies/etc.. You're winning..

2- time Cancer Survivor.. Resolving to be grateful for the "extra time" I've been given..

Listen to your body's signals.. They have intelligence.. The obstacle is the way..

Reaction Score
Yes. Thanks for asking. Living in Norwalk I’m lucky that there are a lot of good systems nearby. Would love if a job in Weston opens up, but I am open to most districts within a 20ish minute drive (my current commute).

Nice--good luck! Feel free to PM me your resume and letter for a lookover when the time comes if you'd like. Definitely look into one of those resume format things you can get for 99 cents on TPT.

I know you're coming from a private school, but don't discount applying at some of the less wealthy districts too. I was miserable at a high school supposedly in the top 10 in the state for 4 years. Obviously wouldn't recommend Hartford high or anything, but When I moved I ended up in a town with more diversity and lower income and I love it. Despite covid the last year and a half have been my easiest years teaching by far. More freedom in the curriculum, very few parents harassing me, admin is super supportive.

Reaction Score
Nice--good luck! Feel free to PM me your resume and letter for a lookover when the time comes if you'd like. Definitely look into one of those resume format things you can get for 99 cents on TPT.

I know you're coming from a private school, but don't discount applying at some of the less wealthy districts too. I was miserable at a high school supposedly in the top 10 in the state for 4 years. Obviously wouldn't recommend Hartford high or anything, but When I moved I ended up in a town with more diversity and lower income and I love it. Despite covid the last year and a half have been my easiest years teaching by far. More freedom in the curriculum, very few parents harassing me, admin is super supportive.
Nothing wrong with Granby schools..

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Son lives in Colo.. A big fan of Breckenridge

I don’t know if they’re making or sourcing, but either way, this particular effort is very good.

Big fan.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here's something to get the coach potatoes among us going; as I preach, something is better than nothing:

For some of us, body weight exercises mean moving more mass than many weight lifters do. That said, I like this idea, and could do this along with my "man flow yoga" on days off from the rowing machine. Since this is one of those off days (on the last two) I was just thinking this morning that I should do push-ups, planks and some other things today.

Reaction Score
2021 resolutions are 200 days of exercise, never more than 2 caffeinated drinks in a day and never more than 3 alcoholic drinks in a day.
Just did my 8th workout of the year, and am still holding steady on my other two (though this week has tested my resolve re: only three drinks).

Reaction Score
Just did my 8th workout of the year, and am still holding steady on my other two (though this week has tested my resolve re: only three drinks).
Impressive stats..Keep up the good work..

Reaction Score
Binge watch every single TV show available on Amazon, Netflix and Hulu.

Reaction Score
I've never been big on resolutions but I have resolved to start meditating daily this year. I think I am going to use Sam Harris's meditation app but I am interested in recommendations that others have found useful.

Did you make a resolution? What is it?

When I have made successful resolutions, part of making them successful was telling others about it, because it made me more accountable to keep it up. Hence this thread.
Yes. I made a resolution to not have any resolutions.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I had a bar buddy who said he was going to cut back. I said define cut back. He paused and said, "No more shots...during the week." Very next day, I happened to meet him at his local bar, one that I hadn't been to before. As soon as we walk in the door, his buddy in the corner yells out, "George! Carbombs!" And George was off to the corner. So you're doing better than George.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom