OT: - Did you make a New Year's Resolution? If so, what is it? | The Boneyard

OT: Did you make a New Year's Resolution? If so, what is it?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've never been big on resolutions but I have resolved to start meditating daily this year. I think I am going to use Sam Harris's meditation app but I am interested in recommendations that others have found useful.

Did you make a resolution? What is it?

When I have made successful resolutions, part of making them successful was telling others about it, because it made me more accountable to keep it up. Hence this thread.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I got in a bad habit during early Covid times of extending my very sparse time out of the house on errands by stopping at a gas station and pounding some chips and candy and a soda. When this was once every couple weeks it wasn’t that bad. Now I’m basically addicted to it and my gut and wallet are noticing when I do it almost daily. Gotta cut that out.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
My resolution is to spend more time in nature. It’s always a mood booster for me but it can be hard to fit into a daily routine. I’ve been living in the west Hartford area for a couple of years now and want to explore some of the hiking and fishing that the area has to offer.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not really. Just going to try and live healthier, but if I wrote it all down the list of "don'ts" would be too intimidating and I'd have already failed three hours ago.

Reaction Score
Embrace impermanence and practice gratitude: when I'm consistent with that I'm happier and more calm.

I'm especially focused on that since this is the first year in over a decade I'll be applying to new jobs, so there's definitely a comfort factor that makes me tentative in potentially leaving where I'm at, even though financially it will be a better short- and long-term solution, plus there's a chance my overall experience could even be better than what it is now.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Embrace impertinence
That's an interesting one. Why embrace? Or do you mean accept? Otherwise it would seem to be at odds with your other goal.

Reaction Score
That's an interesting one. Why embrace? Or do you mean accept? Otherwise it would seem to be at odds with your other goal.
Haha, autocorrect issue on that first post.

In response to your original post, I've used the Calm app since last October and I try to use it daily. It's important to remember that in days you can't/or forget to meditate, meditation can take many different forms: a walk, reading a book, cooking a meal, anything done with full intention.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No official resolution. But my focus is going to be on treating my body better. Nutrition, exercise, less alcohol, and calling doctors to try to fix some things that have limited my activity for over a year. Basically build some new, healthier habits to replace unhealthy habits. When I find myself bored, I tend to respond with food, booze, TV and yes, even this damned forum. I need to retrain myself to think...you are bored, do something physical and/or productive.

@8893 at work we have this app called Mequilibrium meQuilibrium: Science-Based Resilience Training. Goes beyond meditation, with lots of stress reduction techniques, but that’s part of it. You can test it out via the app.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Make a New Year's Resolution - not this year.

What I intent to do is what I started back in August.

Stepped on the scale in early August and saw my weight had gone way up! Part of it was the lockdown. Normal activities were gone. Got lazy and did the sit, eat and watch tv thing.

I got off my butt and started biking around the community. First it was 2 miles. I was really out of shape. Worked up to 4 miles a ride. In the process I started using the fitness app on my iWatch and iPhone. I could see progress. Then purchased a real bike in the beginning of September with 18 forward speeds as opposed the the old bike with 7 speeds.

Fast forward - I have lost 19 pounds since September. Lost 4 inches off my waist. Blood levels and blood pressure have improved a lot.hy. Changed the diet. More fruits & vegetables. More protein. A lot less carbs and almost no artificial sugars - no cookies and candy and no soda. Didn't give up the bourbon. A man can only give up so much.

Average bike ride has gone from 20 to 25 minutes to 45 to 50 minutes. Average ride length has gone from 4 miles to 7 to 9 miles per ride.

So I intent to continue my routine. Had a challenging 7 miles ride this morning. Winds were averaging 3 mph with gusts up to 7 mph.

Happy New Year all. Stay safe and be healthy.

Reaction Score
I was thinking I'd eat better, but I already ordered a double meat breakfast sandwich since I went into work today and felt I deserved a treat as recompense, so...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Eat more fruit.

82411-DF4-53-A9-42-B8-AB85-446410-EE77-E6.jpg

Reaction Score
This year's resolution is to never make another resolution again. Just try to be a better man than the day before each and every day.

Hemingway said it best, "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.”

Reaction Score
Embrace impermanence and practice gratitude: when I'm consistent with that I'm happier and more calm.

I'm especially focused on that since this is the first year in over a decade I'll be applying to new jobs, so there's definitely a comfort factor that makes me tentative in potentially leaving where I'm at, even though financially it will be a better short- and long-term solution, plus there's a chance my overall experience could even be better than what it is now.

Did you decide to look into public schools? I remember you asking about that a while back I think

Reaction Score
I've never been big on resolutions but I have resolved to start meditating daily this year. I think I am going to use Sam Harris's meditation app but I am interested in recommendations that others have found useful.

When I have made successful resolutions, part of making them successful was telling others about it, because it made me more accountable to keep it up. Hence this thread.
FYI.. Before committing to a certain meditation discipline.. Might want to check out/research Transcendental Meditation. There is an investment associated with it but the supporting positive research is significant for long term and transformational change..

Been doing it for 40+ yrs.. Works for me..

Apps have improved over the years and can be a great starting point as well.

Reaction Score
"I recall that year, 'twas '21,
The year we rediscovered fun,
The year we came to see the light,
The year we rescued day from night,
The year the disillusioned heart
Found in itself a brand-new start,
The year a treasured old romance
Taught itself a brand-new dance."

~~ Sphinx

Reaction Score
Did you decide to look into public schools? I remember you asking about that a while back I think
Yes. Thanks for asking. Living in Norwalk I’m lucky that there are a lot of good systems nearby. Would love if a job in Weston opens up, but I am open to most districts within a 20ish minute drive (my current commute).

Reaction Score

I've found resolutions to be very useful over the years -- it's how I quit smoking,, cut back on junk food and red meat. In 2020 mine were no beer (check), 200 days of exercise (went for 188), and at least five minutes of Spanish duolingo every day (check).

I was able to drop 10 pounds and can competently order tapas. I am also now, at 44, older than my father, uncle and grandfather were when they each had their first heart attacks, which I consider a pretty big win.

2021 resolutions are 200 days of exercise, never more than 2 caffeinated drinks in a day and never more than 3 alcoholic drinks in a day.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
get a new job that doesnt require billing hours

Quit that in late 1996. Never going back to that again. Specialty?

Reaction Score
Quit that in late 1996. Never going back to that again. Specialty?
environmental law. worked at 2 firms for (only) 3.5 years and cant make it through another. hoping to get in with the gov or a nonprofit

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom