Did You Know? Sans Pitt & Cuse, We Rid Ourselves | The Boneyard

Did You Know? Sans Pitt & Cuse, We Rid Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
of two of the worst performing teams in the NCAA tournament?

or at least two of the biggest underachieving teams, year in and year out

Pitt, despite being a very high seed year in and year out, as only advanced to the 2nd weekend twice in the last seven tournaments. They've advanced beyond the S16 once in the modern era. Quite possible the biggest under-performers of the 21st century.

While Cuse can get to the S16, they can't get beyond. 4-11 in the S16 is pathetic. They've also been one and done a remarkable 5 times, and missed the 2nd weekend a total of 13 times

it's all about March

willie99

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun is 48 - 14 in the NCAA with UConn (plus a remarkable 3-5 with Northeastern)

17 tournaments, only 1 one & done (in a game AJ tore is ACL, FWIW)
13 out of 17 he gets to the 2nd weekend
9-4 in the Sweet Sixteen (2 of the losses were road games)
4-5 Elite Eight (3 of the losses were road games)
3-1 FF (the one loss was a road game)
3-0 Championship game

willie99

Reaction Score
Pitt & Cuse aren't the charter basketball programs, we are

with Louisville & the Catholics, BEAST basketball will remain elite. Especially come March

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
of two of the worst performing teams in the NCAA tournament?

or at least two of the biggest underachieving teams, year in and year out

If Pitt and Cuse are underachievers then UConn fans are spoiled. 99% of college basketball teams would love to have the resumes of Pitt and Cuse. In order to underachieve in the NCAA tournament, it is a prerequisite to be in the field, and to be in the field just about every single year as both Pitt and Cuse are, is quite the achievement.

We view them as underachievers simply because we are UConn and we are overachievers, not because they actually are.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's a good spin. And if UConn goes to the ACC we'll spin it differently.:)

Personally I'm going to miss the rivalry between UConn and Cuse. And to a lesser extent Pitt.

On a positive note UConn's pathway in getting more BE regular season and tournament championships just got a lot easier. And every time the ACC plays their tournaments the Cuse and Pitt fans will have to hear about Duke and North Carolina while their teams are relegated to insignificance.

But the success of the BE made UConn's pathway in the NCAA tournament easier. Maybe not as easy as Duke's or NC, but easier then it otherwise would have been. And the BE's success was contributed significantly by Cuse and Pitt. So UConn receive benefits by these "underachievers".

Reaction Score
6-1 in final four. Best winning % ever by a coach!

Reaction Score
Cant wait to see the whistle fest when Pitt travels to ratfaceville,just look at a dookie sideways and its a foul call there,both teams will have to adjust to the softer style of ball

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah thank God we got rid of the BASKETBALL programs of Pitt and Syracuse. They really suck.

Reaction Score
I find these posts extraordinary. Pitt and Syracuse, including both regular season and March, are two of the best fifteen or so teams of the last ten years or so. Are they UConn? No, they're not. But almost no one is.

willie99

Reaction Score
guys, I cited NCAA tournament play, and the results are what they are

they are two programs, especially Pitt, that make the rest of the country scream the BEAST is overrated every March

can that really be denied?

willie99

Reaction Score
when the rest of the country thinks basketball powerhouse, does anybody think Pitt? they probably think about Butler before Pitt

as for Cuse, they average one good run every 8 years, which is better than one good run for all of eternity

maybe the BEAST should invite Butler for hoops only

:cool:

Reaction Score
when the rest of the country thinks basketball powerhouse, does anybody think Pitt? they probably think about Butler before Pitt

as for Cuse, they average one good run every 8 years, which is better than one good run for all of eternity

maybe the BEAST should invite Butler for hoops only

:cool:
Thank goodness the BE finally ridded themselves of that BB deadwood. I was getting tired of them holding the rest of BE hoops back from being considered the best BB league out there. Now we can really shine. ;).

willie99

Reaction Score
it's all about UConn, Louisville and the Catholics

our post season winning% is going to improve, as will our performance based on seedings

remember the 80's? how about Tony Dorset or Jim Brown

damn, I'm going to miss those guys

BTW: tickets for the BET will be cheaper without all those gay orange clad shirts. Hope they enjoy Greensboro

MattMang23

Reaction Score
it's all about UConn, Louisville and the Catholics

our post season winning% is going to improve, as will our performance based on seedings

BTW: tickets for the BET will be cheaper without all those gay orange clad shirts. Hope they enjoy Greensboro

Yeah, we shouldn't forget how Seton Hall, Providence, St. John's and Depaul have put the Big East over the top the past 8 years.

Can't wait till Providence cuts down the nets this year to really give that ole postseason winning percentage a real boost.

Yup, tickets will be cheaper. That's usually what less demand does to prices. Considering I didn't find ticket prices to be that unreasonable anyway, I'm not really sure how that's such a positive, but hey, if you are stoked for that 1:00 Thursday South Florida vs. SMU quarter-final game, then good for you.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's pretty hilarious to call out Pitt and Syracuse for their failures, while citing Louisville and the Catholics for their outstanding play in March. Did you even watch the NCAA's last year?

Reaction Score
Not thrilled about losing Pitt in football. Syracuse on the other hand can disappear into Connect Light and Power's restoration estimates.

willie99

Reaction Score
It's pretty hilarious to call out Pitt and Syracuse for their failures, while citing Louisville and the Catholics for their outstanding play in March. Did you even watch the NCAA's last year?

really? you want to go there? why did you qualify your statement with "last year'?

shhhhhhh, I know why. You had to

willie99

Reaction Score
Yeah, we shouldn't forget how Seton Hall, Providence, St. John's and Depaul have put the Big East over the top the past 8 years.

Can't wait till Providence cuts down the nets this year to really give that ole postseason winning percentage a real boost.

Yup, tickets will be cheaper. That's usually what less demand does to prices. Considering I didn't find ticket prices to be that unreasonable anyway, I'm not really sure how that's such a positive, but hey, if you are stoked for that 1:00 Thursday South Florida vs. SMU quarter-final game, then good for you.

Hey, I didn't say every catholic. Somebody has to occupy the basement

Do you really think CT, Louisville, G Town, Nova, St Johns, Marq won't fill MSG? Is having six ranked teams really so bad?

bunch of crybabies, get over it already

geez

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
really? you want to go there? why did you qualify your statement with "last year'?

shhhhhhh, I know why. You had to

Have you gone insane? How about the last 30 years? Syracuse is an all time Top 10 program and Pitt has been a Top 15 program under Howland and Dixon.

It's honestly not even worth debating any further.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Hey, I didn't say every catholic. Somebody has to occupy the basement

Do you really think CT, Louisville, G Town, Nova, St Johns, Marq won't fill MSG? Is having six ranked teams really so bad?

bunch of crybabies, get over it already

geez

Sorry for thinking of UConn's best interests. I'll get a kleenex.

Reaction Score
Actually UConn's best interests are to join Syracuse and Pitt In the ACC. I just hope someone like Coach K and Roy let their Commissioner know Notre Dame is more trouble then what their worth.

willie99

Reaction Score
Sorry for thinking of UConn's best interests. I'll get a kleenex.

if you and I could do something about it, we would

I'm just having some fun at the expense of Pitt's & Cuse's post season record

if we stay in the BEAST, might as well make the best of it

my best guess is that we'll be moving on to something different eventually

willie99

Reaction Score
Have you gone insane? How about the last 30 years? Syracuse is an all time Top 10 program and Pitt has been a Top 15 program under Howland and Dixon.

It's honestly not even worth debating any further.

Pitt 19-18, advanced beyond the S16 one time, 5 one and dones, 0 FF
Cuse 43-24, 4-13 in the S16, 4 one and dones, 3 FF, 1 NC
CT 48-14 (more wins despite taking the 80's off) 9-4 S16, 4 FF, 3 NC (1 one and done)

Pitt simply has no tournament success, none.
Cuse has some success, but 4-13 in the S16 is ugly.

In ranking tournament performance vs expectations, JC is top 3 after 2011, Dixon is one of the worst in the modern era while JB meets expectations based on seedings despite his S16 record

while my intention was to poke fun at Pitt & Cuse, there is some truth behind my arguments

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't know if I'd tell the 200 teams in America who haven't won 19 games combined in the Tourney that Pitt has had no success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom