Did You Know? Sans Pitt & Cuse, We Rid Ourselves | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Did You Know? Sans Pitt & Cuse, We Rid Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
^^^^^

Beating the likes of Oakland, E TN St, CCSU & Oral Roberts in the 1st round is success to some. I guess my standard is just a tad bit higher.

In that 30 year window, which includes the Perno era and drags us down, Pitt has played in 1 more NCAA tournament than we have. We have 29 more victories, 8 more E8's, 4 more FF's and 3 more NC's.

Even Pitt fans know they suck in March

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I get the point about the Tourney records of Pitt and Syracuse. However, Big East BB takes a hit when they leave. These are top 20 programs irregardless of Tourney won-loss record.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
irregardless
Nooooooooooo!

I try to ignore my inner grammar policeman on message boards, but this is one [non]word that is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Regardless or irrespective.

Reaction Score
Nooooooooooo!

I try to ignore my inner grammar policeman on message boards, but this is one [non]word that is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Regardless or irrespective.
LMAO, that is funny. I saw a thread on another teams board a few months back dedicated to the most common gammar and spelling errors on their board, it was a classic. The guy listed off at least 30+ misses in the initial post, and others added on. Can't remember them all, but the ones that immediately come to mind are: Lose and Loose; There and Their; Regardless and Irregardless, To and Too, Are and Our, Accept and Except, Then and Than. It was a funny read.

willie99

Reaction Score
I get the point about the Tourney records of Pitt and Syracuse. However, Big East BB takes a hit when they leave. These are top 20 programs irregardless of Tourney won-loss record.

I know basketball takes a hit, and said so in another thread where I also noted football gets better

maybe a wash sort of

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know basketball takes a hit, and said so in another thread where I also noted football gets better

maybe a wash sort of

Well you started a thread under the premise that the basketball league is better off without Syracuse and Pittsburgh. So which is it?

willie99

Reaction Score
Well you started a thread under the premise that the basketball league is better off without Syracuse and Pittsburgh. So which is it?

actually, I said no such thing. What I did say is we lose two of the worst performing teams in the NCAA tournament

I also said this in another thread I started

BEIII >>>> BEII, in football anyways.

BEAST III will fall back into the pack for hoops. We'll be a top conference, just not heads and shoulders above the rest

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/beast-iii-beast-ii.6048/

in both instances, my words have a very different meaning than you suggest

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
actually, I said no such thing. What I did say is we lose two of the worst performing teams in the NCAA tournament

I also said this in another thread I started

BEIII >>>> BEII, in football anyways.

BEAST III will fall back into the pack for hoops. We'll be a top conference, just not heads and shoulders above the rest

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/beast-iii-beast-ii.6048/

How do you know how good the league is in any sport without knowing who is even in it?

I know it's crazy that I interpreted a thread that used the words 'rid ourselves' in the title to assume you meant that the league was better off.

willie99

Reaction Score
How do you know how good the league is in any sport without knowing who is even in it?

I know it's crazy that I interpreted a thread that used the words 'rid ourselves' in the title to assume you meant that the league was better off.

next time, just read the written words, then those crazy interpretations won't happen

furthermore, my comments about improving in football are based on the most recent speculation, the only thing we can do at this point in time.

Reaction Score
Pitt 19-18, advanced beyond the S16 one time, 5 one and dones, 0 FF
Cuse 43-24, 4-13 in the S16, 4 one and dones, 3 FF, 1 NC
CT 48-14 (more wins despite taking the 80's off) 9-4 S16, 4 FF, 3 NC (1 one and done)

Pitt simply has no tournament success, none.
Cuse has some success, but 4-13 in the S16 is ugly.

In ranking tournament performance vs expectations, JC is top 3 after 2011, Dixon is one of the worst in the modern era while JB meets expectations based on seedings despite his S16 record

while my intention was to poke fun at Pitt & Cuse, there is some truth behind my arguments
I've been saying both are badly over-rated for a while. Syracuse is top 10 all time my Aunt Hattie! As lon gas you ignore everyone else, I guess they are. I think UCONN fans have a bit of a soft spot for syracuse, so we hold them in higher regard than they really deserve. They aren't UCONN by any means...heck, they aren't even Michigan State. As I said in another thread on this subject, when you are talking about highlevel basketball programs, regular season wins are just not that important. Pitt can have all the 27-3 seasons they want. When they lose to md-majors in the second round it doesn't really convince anyone they are a major power. Pretty much the same with Syracuse. they get extra points for having won in 2003, but it was 2003. They haven't gotten near the finals since. and I'm not sure their 1986 appearance holds much more relevance than LaSalle's 1954 appearance does any more. Yeah, it happened, but it happened more than a quarter century ago.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I've been saying both are badly over-rated for a while. Syracuse is top 10 all time my Aunt Hattie! As lon gas you ignore everyone else, I guess they are. I think UCONN fans have a bit of a soft spot for syracuse, so we hold them in higher regard than they really deserve. They aren't UCONN by any means...heck, they aren't even Michigan State. As I said in another thread on this subject, when you are talking about highlevel basketball programs, regular season wins are just not that important. Pitt can have all the 27-3 seasons they want. When they lose to md-majors in the second round it doesn't really convince anyone they are a major power. Pretty much the same with Syracuse. they get extra points for having won in 2003, but it was 2003. They haven't gotten near the finals since. and I'm not sure their 1986 appearance holds much more relevance than LaSalle's 1954 appearance does any more. Yeah, it happened, but it happened more than a quarter century ago.
These discussion, like most discussions, depend on what parameters are weighted in our evaluations. You and Willie99 obviously weigh post season success very strongly in determining strength of programs. And this thread demonstrates that other people do not.

Suffice it to say, the success that Syracuse and Pitt enjoyed during the regular season was not demonstrated in the NCAA tournaments.

I would say some of my brightest employees struggled in test taking, and there were several employees who tested well, but just didn't succeed.

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying, though I'm not sure your example is the best. I think it is more like a case of an employee who does fine when he is dealing with day to day clients, but when you send him out to land a big new deal he can't do it. As I've said multiple places and many times, when you're a major hoop power you don't get evaluated by how you did from November through February. Your season begins in March. Nobody cares if you went unbeaten during the regular season, nobody cares if you won the Big East tournament, if you get knocked off the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. It is different if your Faifield or Central Connecticut. Heck, I'd even say its different if your Providence or St Johns, but if you want to be seen as one of the elites as both Syracuse and Pitt like to see themselves, you need to perform once the tournament starts. Syracuse has a little bit. Pitt hasn't at all.

willie99

Reaction Score

thank you

I gave you both a like and a quote for this one
:)

not too much love for me in this thread. Maybe they're concerned I'm hurting our chances for an ACC invite
:cool:

Reaction Score
LOL, thanks, willie! It really aggrevates me when people seem to equate Syracuse's program in particular with the really elite ones in the country. And when they try to do it with Pitt it is just sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom