Did you ever meet a celebrity that acted like a jerk? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Did you ever meet a celebrity that acted like a jerk?

Reaction Score
I knew Stuart, his daughters danced with my daughter. The nicest guy. He would hang out at the dance studio on Saturday mornings and just be a normal Dad supporting his kids.

I live in Avon and through school, girl scouts, ect. got to meet a lot of ESPN folks. They are the nicest when you discuss your kids, the weather, what is happening in town, but when I see people go up to them and give them their hot take on what is happening in sports they just groan and walk away.
He prob was just having a bad day. Everyone does.

Reaction Score
I just remembered this. This may be unfair because it was back in the late 80's that I worked with him. But Tony Kornheiser was a real jerk. Arrogant, needy, cranky, entitled, and generally did work and play well with others. But that was a long time ago, before he enjoyed his TV success. So, he could be a prince now.
I dont know why but thats the Kornheiser I'd want to meet, I love to imagine him as a cantankerous Larry David type, him being gracious would be a disappointment.

Reaction Score
2+ decades ago Michael Stipe was such a complete jackwagon to the wife that she still refuses to listen to REM to this day.

Everybody hurts.
Underrated post. ^^^

Met Spike Lee in lower Manhattan & he’s just an odd duck. Awkward & sullen, like he’s pissed all the time. Napoleon complex personified!
Ran into Dennis Miller in a Rockefeller Center elevator when he was the Weekend Update anchor on SNL. Real DB. Loud, obnoxious and wanted everyone to know how smart he was. Tore Into some kid intern. Very very awkward.
Lawrence Taylor at UNC was scary. Ran into him in Chapel Hill visiting my cousin. It was the first time I saw folks literally part the seas when someone walked towards them. Reminded me of Mongo from Blazing Saddles, “Never mind that Sh t, here comes Mongo”! And everyone slinked away.

Reaction Score
I used to live right behind the Red Sox Spring Training complex. On several occasions I witnessed a Sox legend exhibit horrible behavior towards fans, including older women and kids. After what I saw I wouldn’t accept any memorabilia of his, regardless of the value. His grandson plays in the majors now.
Bummer on ol'#8...one of my favorites growing up but have heard this type of story more than a few times over the years.
Always wondered why he has had such a limited role (ceremonial or otherwise) with the Sox during his retirement, even when he came to WS games or 100th year Fenway anniversary he was in and out real quick with limited interaction with press/former players/fans.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At least I think Yaz was bring himself, I think. He doesn't care. Did you hear the story of the rookie Yaz getting the big invite from Ted Williams to go fishing? He shows up with a cooler and Ted asks, "What the hell's that?" Yaz says he brought some beers. Ted said "No drinking on my boat!" Yaz goes, "Whatever you say, Ted" and takes off. I mean if he didn't have time for Ted...

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
The autograph thing is tricky. It is big business these days with people sending kids to get autographs and then selling them online. I've seen celebrity athletes literally tear a corner of the card they are signing so they don't have significant resale value... sad world we live in.

Reaction Score
Met Andy Dick in Palm Springs because my sister’s BF just had to met him, he was a, um, dick.

Also met Shaun White at the San Diego Zoo. Sister’s BF weirdly had no interest in meeting him even tho he was a semi-pro in-line skater, he was, um, white.

Reaction Score
At least I think Yaz was bring himself, I think. He doesn't care. Did you hear the story of the rookie Yaz getting the big invite from Ted Williams to go fishing? He shows up with a cooler and Ted asks, "What the hell's that?" Yaz says he brought some beers. Ted said "No drinking on my boat!" Yaz goes, "Whatever you say, Ted" and takes off. I mean if he didn't have time for Ted...
Never heard that one...but certainly fits in with the rest of the Yaz rhetoric.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I’ll second this. I sat next to him at a dinner and he could not have been a better dude.

I played pool with Vedder at a Manhattan bar after he was one of the performers at the Who special deal at carnegie hall (he crushed it of course) .... He was an incredible guy, and we both reveled in how much we sucked at pool. After about 45 minutes talking about life, music, and playing pool he put his hand on my shoulder (a real reach for him, Hes not tall) and looked me in the eye and said "August" (subsititute my real name there) , I just f'in LOVE music." such a great hang.

Reaction Score
Never heard that one...but certainly fits in with the rest of the Yaz rhetoric.
Yaz and Johnny U were my childhood heroes. 1967 was an unbelievable season by him. Hard to hear that Yaz is a bit of a Richard but I respect his decision not to fish if he couldn't drink beer. The man likes his beer. I remember clips of Yaz and Dewey after games drinking beer and smoking cigarettes. As John Kruk would say "I ain't an athlete, I'm a baseball player".

Reaction Score
Before the 1986-1987 football season, I went to see the Giants pre-season practice. I think it was at Pace University. Anyway, the morning practice got rained out, so the players were just walking around. I got about 75 autographs that day, including every starter on both sides of the ball. They won their first Super Bowl that year. They were all nice about it. When I came to Leonard Marshall, I said "Sorry, this must be a pain in the as_" His reply was, "this ain't no pain in the as-, a hemorrhoid is a pain in the as_". Funny guy. I was too young to know what a hemorrhoid was, but when I finally found out, couldn't stop laughing.

Was at the airport getting ready to fly to a UConn football game and saw Ray Allen sitting by himself. I had all my UConn gear on, so I went over and talked to him for a while. At the time, the NBA was on strike , so we talked about that for a while. He was a nice guy, and always my wife's favorite UConn player. She was so jealous when I told her about it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
...looked me in the eye and said "August" (subsititute my real name there) , I just f'in LOVE music." such a great hang.
Reminds me of a recent interview with David Crosby talking about your boy Jerry G:
"He did not play music for money. You can start your list of things about Jerry Garcia with that: he wasn’t there for the money. He didn’t give a s—. He was there chasing the notes. He wanted the music — really, really badly. He would go to great lengths; he would suffer indignities [laughs] to get to the point where he could make some music." I think most people love music, but the great ones LOVE music.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Reminds me of a recent interview with David Crosby talking about your boy Jerry G:
"He did not play music for money. You can start your list of things about Jerry Garcia with that: he wasn’t there for the money. He didn’t give a s—. He was there chasing the notes. He wanted the music — really, really badly. He would go to great lengths; he would suffer indignities [laughs] to get to the point where he could make some music." I think most people love music, but the great ones LOVE music.

Thats why Jerry and Eddie are legends. Thats ALL it was about. Ever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom