Did UConn set a tournament record? For missed layups???? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Did UConn set a tournament record? For missed layups????

Reaction Score
Interesting observations as I didn't drill down into the stats after the game. I was just happy to see Aaliyah on the big stage finally.

Your last thought about the line up next year is also interesting. I've gotten a mixed vibe from BYers on DeBerry. I've only been able to watch her during the U16 FIBA Americas in 2019 and she didn't stand out to me like others (e.g Aaliyah Moore). In fairness however her playing time wasn't more than 15 min/game (if memory is correct) and the competition isn't what she would normally face.

You're correct. Averaged 18 minutes per game, with just over 5 ppg and 3.2 rebounds. Was not a standout in that tournament. But that will have been four years ago (?) by the time she arrives in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I have a better question - are we the only fan base that complains this much about a 43 point win?

It’s the post-season, win or go home. Every team is going to give 110%, especially the lower seeds that have nothing to lose. Games are going to be ugly and teams will struggle at times, even the top seeds. It doesn’t matter - you only need to win by one.

One of the things that drives me craziest is seeing the “If the Huskies ______ (miss free throws, miss layups, play defense like this, turn over the ball, etc) they’re not going to make it to the Final Four”. I’ve seen stuff like that for 20+ years. Since 1999-2000, 20 completed tourneys ago, the Huskies have been to 17 Final Fours and won 10 championships so clearly the missed bunnies vs whoever didn’t hurt them that much.

But isn't Coach Geno known for going through big wins and finding areas in which his team faltered, or where it could have done better? Hasn't that been part and parcel of his winning so many NC's?

Reaction Score
Yes they should be focused the same. Would you be? Right. Even great teams tnd to play to the level of their competition. Should they. Of course not. This will improve when humans are finally replaced by the robots some of you think they should be.

Reaction Score
I have a better question - are we the only fan base that complains this much about a 43 point win?

It’s the post-season, win or go home. Every team is going to give 110%, especially the lower seeds that have nothing to lose. Games are going to be ugly and teams will struggle at times, even the top seeds. It doesn’t matter - you only need to win by one.

One of the things that drives me craziest is seeing the “If the Huskies ______ (miss free throws, miss layups, play defense like this, turn over the ball, etc) they’re not going to make it to the Final Four”. I’ve seen stuff like that for 20+ years. Since 1999-2000, 20 completed tourneys ago, the Huskies have been to 17 Final Fours and won 10 championships so clearly the missed bunnies vs whoever didn’t hurt them that much.
I have no complaints here. I'm just glad they're playing and healthy, along with the rest of the teams there.

The only complaint I have is the quality of food being provided. Athletes deserve better, especially those who have dietary concerns and/or are vegetarian.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Can Liv make a layup when a player that is 6' guarding her. She really doesn't know how to use her height underneath the hoop. She releases the ball so low. She should have had 30 today. Against the better teams with big players she disappears. Paige gave Aubrey a great pass and she missed it horribly with no one on her. If you do that in these games then what about Baylor, SC and Stanford who could be their last 3 games.
Its been true all year that lay ups seem to be tough shots for us. On the other hand, how many lay ups are you surprised to see go in on the fast break with bullet passes from Paige and Evina. I can recall Christyn making some miraculous catches and making the lay up at full speed. What about that bullet Evina sent to AE, how did she catch and score that? Contested lay ups can be harder than an uncontested 3 pointer. We just have to hope that we make more than our opposition. They are all having the same problem.

Reaction Score
Baskets around the rim have been a problem all year not just last night. As a former college assistant coach there are drills to practice shots around the rim to include in traffic. I would assume they are done, perhaps not enough. It can be improved with practice and effort .

Reaction Score
The men's game yesterday was a clinic in missed layups and tip-ins. I was disappointed in the women missing in close several times tonight, but it wasn't a record. I think we had a few regular season games that were as bad.
The men's game, ah. OK let's stop taking layups and just dunk the ball like the fellas do. A dunked ball is less likely to be missed, but it is possible.
Oh, and let's take names: how about Liv? Christyn? Audrey? Liv is constantly playing volleyball with herself. If she would just make the layup, Paige would have 25% more assists. Williams has perfected the complete miss attempting a layup. That's where the ball touches neither the backboard nor the rim. Not easy to do. And our Audrey the original live wire: her missed layups are so over done that the ball usually winds up back at half court.
Oh, the humanity.

Reaction Score
Hard to believe how many layups we missed.. especially in the first half... that needs to be way improved if we are to advance deep... I remain confident, but we will not make the final four if we continue to be so bad at the rim...
Hey, those missed 'Layup's' got me closer to Heaven, by not profaning & holding back my tongue in frustration! After all, it is the season of Lent !

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
But isn't Coach Geno known for going through big wins and finding areas in which his team faltered, or where it could have done better? Hasn't that been part and parcel of his winning so many NC's?
Geno picks games apart to coach his team to improvement; fans pick a game apart because because they expect the players to more like pros than teenagers.

Reaction Score
Geno picks games apart to coach his team to improvement; fans pick a game apart because because they expect the players to more like pros than teenagers.
I don’t think people are expecting them to be pros, and most teenagers can make layups. Fans are not saying the team is awful, just that they are not concentrating enough to make most of the bunnies. It doesn’t matter much when playing a 16 seed, but it will in the final games.

Reaction Score
I don’t think people are expecting them to be pros, and most teenagers can make layups. Fans are not saying the team is awful, just that they are not concentrating enough to make most of the bunnies. It doesn’t matter much when playing a 16 seed, but it will in the final games.

I don't agree. You can say people aren't expecting players to be like pros but then the same people go ahead and then post the criticism in a manner that you'd expect if they were pros.
Part of being a non-pro is that you'll be a little less consistent with your concentration vs a pro. It's the college game. It's what you're going to get. Some teams have missed layups. Some teams bad passing. Or don't box out. Or don't run their offense and take bad shots etc. .

And we hear ad nauseum "if the team plays like that then they are going to lose . . . " Yes we know,. And as another poster mentioned on here if the team only scored 15 points at halftime -- that badly -- then playing the elite teams they would lose. -. . . Oh wait -- they did play that badly - yet they didn't lose.

And a point a bit off-topic but kind of odd. During the regular season some call the last few minutes of a blowout "garbage time" (which it isn't.). Now in this game can't falter at all with concentration- despite having no chance to lose.

Reaction Score
Its been true all year that lay ups seem to be tough shots for us. On the other hand, how many lay ups are you surprised to see go in on the fast break with bullet passes from Paige and Evina. I can recall Christyn making some miraculous catches and making the lay up at full speed. What about that bullet Evina sent to AE, how did she catch and score that? Contested lay ups can be harder than an uncontested 3 pointer. We just have to hope that we make more than our opposition. They are all having the same problem.
I was talking about the same two players that miss every game.

Reaction Score
I don't agree. You can say people aren't expecting players to be like pros but then the same people go ahead and then post the criticism in a manner that you'd expect if they were pros.
Part of being a non-pro is that you'll be a little less consistent with your concentration vs a pro. It's the college game. It's what you're going to get. Some teams have missed layups. Some teams bad passing. Or don't box out. Or don't run their offense and take bad shots etc. .

And we hear ad nauseum "if the team plays like that then they are going to lose . . . " Yes we know,. And as another poster mentioned on here if the team only scored 15 points at halftime -- that badly -- then playing the elite teams they would lose. -. . . Oh wait -- they did play that badly - yet they didn't lose.

And a point a bit off-topic but kind of odd. During the regular season some call the last few minutes of a blowout "garbage time" (which it isn't.). Now in this game can't falter at all with concentration- despite having no chance to lose.
Come on! Geno in a press conference said that this year's team has missed more layups than the 35 teams he had prior to this year combined. So we can eliminate the Geno, 1100 wins, 11 NC argument. He has the best players in the best program in America, year after year. Yes, it is an expectation that layups are made, a shot any 4th grader can convert.
Your farm boy baseball team you coach in the boonies is dropping pop flies and easy fly balls. What are you saying? What are you saying, " well, you aren't professionals, so I do not expect you to make the easiest plays in the game. It's alright guys.........." Ugh.

Reaction Score

I recall Coach Geno once during an interview saying that he expected his players to make layups. He said that a "layup" is supposed to be an easy shot. That's why they use the expression "layup" for something easy. So he said that he expects his players to make layups as a matter of course. So it has to be distressing to him to see so many of those layup attempts not go in.

Reaction Score
Come on! Geno in a press conference said that this year's team has missed more layups than the 35 teams he had prior to this year combined. So we can eliminate the Geno, 1100 wins, 11 NC argument. He has the best players in the best program in America, year after year. Yes, it is an expectation that layups are made, a shot any 4th grader can convert.
Your farm boy baseball team you coach in the boonies is dropping pop flies and easy fly balls. What are you saying? What are you saying, " well, you aren't professionals, so I do not expect you to make the easiest plays in the game. It's alright guys.........." Ugh.
Exactly

Reaction Score
I think the players just get nervous and rush the shot.
Heard that
"Sorry Coach, you know I get a little nervous with those three foot putts. I'll try to do better! Hope it doesn't affect the success of the team. Don't forget, we're only human." (hopefully there's a pond nearby to drown in)

Reaction Score
Young, young, young with only three players having NCAA Tournament experience.
Missing two coaches.
Point guard injured in 1st half.
Score 100 and win by 40
I'll take it for an opening round game. You don't have to be in Final Four form in the first round.

AND I feel pretty confident that whoever wins the National Championship will be a team with players and coaches that are HUMANS.
Thank you for saying this. I'm so over people picking on every damn thing with this team. (The rest is not directed at you)

I don't know if folks are watching other games but EVERY TEAM IS MISSING LAYUPS. Past teams that won championships have missed layups. Quit acting like entitled children holding these kids to some ridiculous standard after one game.

Reaction Score
The men's game yesterday was a clinic in missed layups and tip-ins. I was disappointed in the women missing in close several times tonight, but it wasn't a record. I think we had a few regular season games that were as bad.
Ododa tends to rush her shots and has trouble with developing a soft touch around the hoop. But she and Edwards do often clean up the misses with put backs.

Reaction Score
Ododa tends to rush her shots and has trouble with developing a soft touch around the hoop. But she and Edwards do often clean up the misses with put backs.
Yes, the Moses Malone stat-sheet stuffing tactic.
I think they collectively don't put the ball high enough on the glass. Aaliyah does more than Liv and Aubrey. It might look better if the ball is laid in lower on the backboard (?) but there is a much smaller likelihood that the ball will drop in the basket. I teach that the ball should enter the basket from above with a similar angle and trajectory that a shot from outside does. So it literally falls through the rim from above. Aubrey always lays it in low and therefore when she's short it has no chance of going in the basket. If it was falling from above the rim, it might fall in, especially if it's laid in softly.

Reaction Score
Thank you for saying this. I'm so over people picking on every damn thing with this team. (The rest is not directed at you)

I don't know if folks are watching other games but EVERY TEAM IS MISSING LAYUPS. Past teams that won championships have missed layups. Quit acting like entitled children holding these kids to some ridiculous standard after one game.
So, if everyone misses them our team should? Also, this is one game but also part of a pattern :)

Reaction Score

I'm not sure the point that we're arguing here when you brought up Geno and his 1100 wins. I was also with the other poster on this thread when he questioned why you brought up Geno dressing up.

As far as baseball - but for the number 1 team in the country these criticisms don’t stop on here it seems. They are going to miss layups. Women can't dunk the ball or get as near the rim - so they are going to miss more. And to further that for the number 1 team in America - overall 2 seed - when does it stop?

You had criticized the 3-point shooting from the corner earlier in the year too, right? Also- We had heard from others how Liv was going to get wiped out by the bigger posts. Also-We had heard how after beating SC that the game was an embarrassment for UCONN. Also- After the win vs Tennessee I felt there were more complaints than celebration even though UCONN had won the game twice. Also- I can recall mentioning that the 3 UCONN guards might be be better than SC's (one definitely was I had stated) and that it being possible all 3 of Paige and CW and Evina might be better - and even if all 3 aren't better and even one for SC becomes a 3rd team A/A that UCONN still was better in the backcourt. Only to get a reply that I was suggesting that the SC guards were crummy.

It's just that - the criticism I realize and I think others that are positive as I am realize- the criticisms aren’t going to stop. Just like in baseball you can criticize more than the pop fly. For example why aren't you using two hands instead of one to catch a ball? Thus in basketball it's similar beyond the layups. "Why can't you shoot the 3's better?" "Why can't you box out better?" "Why can't you pass better?" "Why can't you hit your free throws better?" etc. The criticisms can be never-ending.

IMO fine to criticize. I scream at the blown layups too. And the poor passes etc. So yeah if you or anyone wants to be critical - have at it. But on the flip side anyone that is critical should also be able to take it to some degree if some of us think "it's too much." Not all of us want to be “Vince Lombardi” when watching these games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It must be those Wilson basketballs... Everyone knows that Nike's are better for layups!

View attachment 66158
I was looking for the 'love' button, couldn't find it, decided to use the 'like' button instead. The only look that equals her radiant smile is her total concentration look - here, Paige is telling the ball what she wants it to do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom