Did UConn set a tournament record? For missed layups???? | The Boneyard

Did UConn set a tournament record? For missed layups????

Reaction Score
Hard to believe how many layups we missed.. especially in the first half... that needs to be way improved if we are to advance deep... I remain confident, but we will not make the final four if we continue to be so bad at the rim...

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Hard to believe how many layups we missed.. especially in the first half... that needs to be way improved if we are to advance deep... I remain confident, but we will not make the final four if we continue to be so bad at the rim...
They're human. You really think their concentration in this game is going to be what it will be against a better team? And if you watched S.A. Austin blow a 17 point lead to GA Tech earlier today you would have seen far more blown layups. And those really meant something.

Reaction Score
They're human. You really think their concentration in this game is going to be what it will be against a better team? And if you watched S.A. Austin blow a 17 point lead to GA Tech earlier today you would have seen far more blown layups. And those really meant something.
It better be 110% concentration for every game. I agree with the OP, way too many missed layups and FT's

Reaction Score
So are we supposed to be okay with them not concentrating as hard? "They're human" only gets you so far.

Reaction Score
So are we supposed to be okay with them not concentrating as hard? "They're human" only gets you so far.
Young, young, young with only three players having NCAA Tournament experience.
Missing two coaches.
Point guard injured in 1st half.
Score 100 and win by 40
I'll take it for an opening round game. You don't have to be in Final Four form in the first round.

AND I feel pretty confident that whoever wins the National Championship will be a team with players and coaches that are HUMANS.

Reaction Score
Young, young, young with only three players having NCAA Tournament experience.
Missing two coaches.
Point guard injured in 1st half.
Score 100 and win by 40
I'll take it for an opening round game. You don't have to be in Final Four form in the first round.

AND I feel pretty confident that whoever wins the National Championship will be a team with players and coaches that are HUMANS.
Point guard injured did not miss any layups.
2 missing coaches did not miss any layups. No Geno dressing up in practice does not mean he’s on the team.
Being young does not make it ok to miss layups. Bad thing even in the youth leagues.
Humans that win NC’s do not miss layups.
Come on work on your debating skills!
Stl Cardinals- that’s baseball or old football. How about, it’s ok to miss “can-a-corn” pop ups or fly balls. It’s ok, they’re only MLB baseball players. It’s ok, they’re humans!
How about your Cardinal wide receiver drops wide open receptions. Who, Mel Gray or Jackie Smith. It’s ok, they’re humans.

Reaction Score
Point guard injured did not miss any layups.
2 missing coaches did not miss any layups. No Geno dressing up in practice does not mean he’s on the team.
Being young does not make it ok to miss layups. Bad thing even in the youth leagues.
Humans that win NC’s do not miss layups.
Come on work on your debating skills!
Stl Cardinals- that’s baseball or old football. How about, it’s ok to miss “can-a-corn” pop ups or fly balls. It’s ok, they’re only MLB baseball players. It’s ok, they’re humans!
How about your Cardinal wide receiver drops wide open receptions. Who, Mel Gray or Jackie Smith. It’s ok, they’re humans.
The St Louis Cardinals do not have 18 and 19 year olds on the team. Read again what I wrote and think about the big picture I was talking about - that I think all of those things should be considered when talking about the game they played. Also, the difference between missed uncontested layups and contested shots under the rim should be defined. If memory serves, a UConn team won a National Championship after scoring only 12 points in the first half of the Championship Game. Now, I don't know how many layups they missed in that game or any other, but if a team can win a National Championship scoring that few points in a half, they can probably win one missing some layups along the way. And I have no idea what Geno dressing up has to do with any of this.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The men's game yesterday was a clinic in missed layups and tip-ins. I was disappointed in the women missing in close several times tonight, but it wasn't a record. I think we had a few regular season games that were as bad.

Reaction Score
Everybody is acting like layups are hard so we should expect basketball players to miss them often.

Reaction Score
Can Liv make a layup when a player that is 6' guarding her. She really doesn't know how to use her height underneath the hoop. She releases the ball so low. She should have had 30 today. Against the better teams with big players she disappears. Paige gave Aubrey a great pass and she missed it horribly with no one on her. If you do that in these games then what about Baylor, SC and Stanford who could be their last 3 games.

Reaction Score
Rather than attribute it to some unique factor for that game, I consider it just another example of a season long trait. We have had many discussions or debates regarding this teams shooting abilities. I am in the camp that says you can be a relatively weak shooting team and still have a high 2pt FG percentage. That is who we are.

FG% is a function of how easy shots you get, and how good you are at making them. We are exceptional on the first and mediocre on the second. We start two true pass first PG's who are exceptional passers, and one player (Evina) who has started at PG for a significant program, and of course Anna is exceptional for a forward.

Our FT % is more indicative of our pure shooting ability, as is our 3Pt % which is nothing special without Paige's exceptional numbers. Last year's team did not get nearly as many easy shots, but with Crystal and Megan being great shooters and Anna playing more had far more shooting ability. It is very rare for one team to add as much passing ability in one year as we did with Paige, Nika, and Evina. The same will be true next year for shooting with Azzi, Carolyn, and Saylor with another year under her belt.

Hopefully next year we can get very easy shots and be good at making them. The roster will be full of passers and shooters.

Reaction Score
They weren't the only team that had this issue yesterday. Syracuse missed a lot of lay-ups as well most coming from turnovers they generated from their press. At one point the announcer said they were like 4/12 on lay-ups.

Reaction Score
We yelled at the TV a lot last night! Missed too many chippies.... Just need to clean-it-up!
We cheered a lot too! Just love this Team!
Bring on the Cuse! Happy for the men though!

Reaction Score
I was disappointed by ONO's play at times in this game. She missed three layups in the first half, and another layup in the second half. And while some continue to praise her for taking foul line jumpers, she missed three of four attempts from that line. And she frequently permitted herself to be boxed out on offense. There was a play in which the UConn shot went up, and the camera caught ONO standing near the foul line, not challenging three defensive players who boxed her out. But Edwards, who stood near ONO when the shot went up, blazed for the basket, got the rebound, and scored on the put-back as ONO watched from afar. Yes, ONO scored 22, but on just 9 for 17 shooting, and that against a team whose tallest player ONO towered over by 4 inches. By contrast, Edwards hit 8 out of 10 shots.

Edwards grabbed twice as many offensive rebounds as ONO, and in eight fewer minutes, and five more rebounds overall. There's a reason why all season long Coach Geno has praised Edwards as the big force that the team needs to win a NC, but has been quiet on ONO.

I suspect that next year with DeBerry, and the next year with Patterson and Brady, this team will become the fearsome force on the frontline that will be unstoppable. Questionable whether ONO will be in the starting lineup next year.

Reaction Score
I was disappointed by ONO's play at times in this game. She missed three layups in the first half, and another layup in the second half. And while some continue to praise her for taking foul line jumpers, she missed three of four attempts from that line. And she frequently permitted herself to be boxed out on offense. There was a play in which the UConn shot went up, and the camera caught ONO standing near the foul line, not challenging three defensive players who boxed her out. But Edwards, who stood near ONO when the shot went up, blazed for the basket, got the rebound, and scored on the put-back as ONO watched from afar. Yes, ONO scored 22, but on just 9 for 17 shooting, and that against a team whose tallest player ONO towered over by 4 inches. By contrast, Edwards hit 8 out of 10 shots.

Edwards grabbed twice as many offensive rebounds as ONO, and in eight fewer minutes, and five more rebounds overall. There's a reason why all season long Coach Geno has praised Edwards as the big force that the team needs to win a NC, but has been quiet on ONO.

I suspect that next year with DeBerry, and the next year with Patterson and Brady, this team will become the fearsome force on the frontline that will be unstoppable. Questionable whether ONO will be in the starting lineup next year.

Interesting observations as I didn't drill down into the stats after the game. I was just happy to see Aaliyah on the big stage finally.

Your last thought about the line up next year is also interesting. I've gotten a mixed vibe from BYers on DeBerry. I've only been able to watch her during the U16 FIBA Americas in 2019 and she didn't stand out to me like others (e.g Aaliyah Moore). In fairness however her playing time wasn't more than 15 min/game (if memory is correct) and the competition isn't what she would normally face.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have a better question - are we the only fan base that complains this much about a 43 point win?

It’s the post-season, win or go home. Every team is going to give 110%, especially the lower seeds that have nothing to lose. Games are going to be ugly and teams will struggle at times, even the top seeds. It doesn’t matter - you only need to win by one.

One of the things that drives me craziest is seeing the “If the Huskies ______ (miss free throws, miss layups, play defense like this, turn over the ball, etc) they’re not going to make it to the Final Four”. I’ve seen stuff like that for 20+ years. Since 1999-2000, 20 completed tourneys ago, the Huskies have been to 17 Final Fours and won 10 championships so clearly the missed bunnies vs whoever didn’t hurt them that much.

Reaction Score
If I may.
Despite all the missed “bunnies”, the team still shot just under 60% from the field.
That being said, this team cannot miss those shots while at the same time ONO fails to convert that 10-12 foot jumper with greater consistency.
In combination, that’s just leaving too many points off the board. Against top tier teams it could prove fatal.
One or the other might be compensated for.
Both could/will prove deadly.
JMHO

Reaction Score
It must be those Wilson basketballs... Everyone knows that Nike's are better for layups!

AP21081018298989.jpg

Reaction Score
I think it may be because they hadn't played an actual game in almost two weeks. Practices may be tougher than the games, but it's not the same as playing the games. Plus, I'm sure they've been somewhat limited in their practice time since going in the bubble. I'm figuring they had to scrape the rust off.

Reaction Score
If I may.
Despite all the missed “bunnies”, the team still shot just under 60% from the field.
That being said, this team cannot miss those shots while at the same time ONO fails to convert that 10-12 foot jumper with greater consistency.
In combination, that’s just leaving too many points off the board. Against top tier teams it could prove fatal.
One or the other might be compensated for.
Both could/will prove deadly.
JMHO

"Against top tier teams it could prove fatal. One or the other might be compensated for.
Both could/will prove deadly."

And that's the point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom