Did Stewie Tear ACL? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Did Stewie Tear ACL?

Reaction Score
Oh definitely, which sucks, because they shouldn’t have to, I was literally thinking about this the other day, that’s a lot of basketball WNBA season, overseas, then back down for the start of the new WNBA season, they literally have no break, I mean while 1.5 million is a lot, that to me still isn’t enough for the wear and tear they are putting on there bodies.
So, drop the $1.5M, and stay here for the $100K? Remind me not to ask you about financial advice.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That would make sense. But unless you're Diana Taurasi, Skylar Diggins, Elena Della Donne, etc, the WNBA shoe deals are chump change. When Moriah was drafted by San Antonio she signed with Adidas for something like $25,000.

A 25k bonus isn't chump change to most people in their 20s....not sure if it's 25/year or a one time thing, but Mo Jeff is off her rookie contract, so this year she'll likely make six figures in her 3 months season, and if she gets a shoe deal for 25k, that's $125k for a summer's work at 25 years old. Not NBA money but that's a better gig than 99% of other people her age have.

Reaction Score
Bballnut, I may be wrong, but I think in the WNBA, there are only a few six figure salaries available. I don't think MoJeff will be one of those few six figure contracts.

Reaction Score
Bballnut, I may be wrong, but I think in the WNBA, there are only a few six figure salaries available. I don't think MoJeff will be one of those few six figure contracts.
from what I remember and this was a few years ago .... WNBA contracts are strictly controlled; rookies get around 30 to 40k; the MVP gets like 100k and bonuses (All Star, MVP, Champions) are like 2500 to 5000. Team salaries are capped at around 900k.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Rookies are around 40-55k, overall average is a little over 70, and max contracts top out around 110/115 I believe....and most teams have several max contract players. It isnt reserved just for the best of the best. Once players are off their rookie contracts (3 years) they usually earn anywhere from 75-max for the summer. There was an unofficial report that came out last summer showing facts and figures, but players like Sancho Lyttle and Layshia Clarendon were hauling in 6 figures despite having smaller roles on their team. Mo Jeff would definitely command a 6 figure contract.

Reaction Score
I hope and pray Stewie has only a minor injury. This is, however, the travesty associated with highly caliber, professional Women’s Basketball players. To gain financially for their enormous talent they have to play outside the U.S. with a schedule that spans practically year- round. Their bodies aren’t always able to weather the toll it takes on them and serious injuries result. It’s high time that they start being compensated by the WNBA commensurate with their outstanding athletic abilities.

I honestly don't know the answer to this question, but does the WNBA generate sufficient revenue to do that?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The Courant is reporting this morning it is a ruptured achilles and she will have surgery this week.

Mike Anthony: Breanna Stewart’s injury an example of the offseason peril WNBA players face

Since I had a total achilles rupture on a basketball court (albeit at 64), all technical questions should be referred to me!

Surgery to be in LA. Mom, Heather, flying out to be with her. Dad, brian, opines it isn't career ending but it will definitely "have her in the barn awhile."

Breanna Stewart likely to undergo Achilles surgery this week; dad describes her as ‘resilient’

Reaction Score
I hope for a speedy recovery Breanna!!

This hurts the WNBA as another star will not be around this season. Losing Breanna and Maya sucks.

Reaction Score
I just noted the WNBA game schedule this season on my calendar. The games that are televised are just a handful. Yes, there is League Pass but you would not see that unless you signed up and paid and you'd only do that if you're a fan. It's a catch 22 because you need to be televised where more people see you in order to get the exposure and you won't get the TV exposure if you aren't seen more. Crazy. I hope Stewie heals quickly.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't know the answer to this question, but does the WNBA generate sufficient revenue to do that?

IIRC the NBA still subsidizes the WNBA so I would say no.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I just noted the WNBA game schedule this season on my calendar. The games that are televised are just a handful. Yes, there is League Pass but you would not see that unless you signed up and paid and you'd only do that if you're a fan. It's a catch 22 because you need to be televised where more people see you in order to get the exposure and you won't get the TV exposure if you aren't seen more. Crazy. I hope Stewie heals quickly.

Is it less than last year?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
per Mechelle V on ESPNW.com, the Storm are saying they expect a full recovery for the start of the 2020 WNBA season:

ESPN

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You play for two teams. One values you at $100,000 a season, the other at $50,000. So which team are you more obligated to? Which is really your main team? And I say this as a big fan of the Storm, having watched all their games last year and eagerly awaiting this season. I am a fan of women's basketball at college and pro level. I don't watch the men's game at all. Until more fans show up WNBA players will be paid a pittance. Stewie was mvp. I suspect the lowest salaried player in NBA made more. They draw bigger crowds, command more for television rights. UConn's greatest achievement isn't 11 titles themselves, it is the size of the crowd that shows up when they come visiting. Teams that normally play before a few hundred suddenly see packed houses. It is the same with other women team sports. Three years ago in the Women's Pro Softball World Series the two best pitchets in the world, softball or baseball, dueled in two one run games before a tiny crowd. Want our women to stay home--fill the stands, take a friend to a game--women make up 51% of the population. The Midterms showed the effect you can have in politics. Do the same for women's sports. You'll probably have a better time.
You need to cater to your consumer. Women’s sports have a very small market compared to men’s sports. It’s difficult to generate revenue from a small market.

If in fact men’s sports became un-entertaining and less marketable, then your approach would work. Simply force feeding potential consumers women’s sporting events will not solve the problem. There needs to be a demand. Until then, WBNA players will be paid like fresh college grads.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom