Did Stewie Tear ACL? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Did Stewie Tear ACL?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's a tough injury to rehab and come back from, but one thing in Stewie's favor is she's still really young. But obviously, this takes away her 2019 WNBA season just like that (and, by extension, Seattle's postseason hopes).

Bendu Yeaney of Indiana suffered a torn Achilles in the NCAA loss to Oregon, and she had her surgery 5 days later. I'm hoping for the best for both of them. I'm really not sure which is harder to come back from, a torn ACL or a torn Achilles.

Reaction Score
Nykesha tore her Achilles her senior year and came back to be a WNBA all star. While it is not an injury anyone would ever want to have, it is one that you can come back from and be successful, and knowing Stewie’s drive, I have no doubt she will come back and be MVP again.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
It's a tough injury to rehab and come back from, but one thing in Stewie's favor is she's still really young. But obviously, this takes away her 2019 WNBA season just like that (and, by extension, Seattle's postseason hopes).

Bendu Yeaney of Indiana suffered a torn Achilles in the NCAA loss to Oregon, and she had her surgery 5 days later. I'm hoping for the best for both of them. I'm really not sure which is harder to come back from, a torn ACL or a torn Achilles.

Seattle could still make the playoffs, but a repeat is very unlikely now. I'd be a heck of a story if they even got to the final.

Reaction Score
How is the risk any different playing here?

I just mean Seattle is her main team, if it was an injury that happened during the WNBA to me it would feel different I don’t know how to explain it, it’s like when teams sometimes don’t want there players playing in the olympics are something like that because of risk of injury’s that can affect there team if that makes sense.

Reaction Score
I just mean Seattle is her main team, if it was an injury that happened during the WNBA to me it would feel different I don’t know how to explain it, it’s like when teams sometimes don’t want there players playing in the olympics are something like that because of risk of injury’s that can affect there team if that makes sense.
I think her main team is the one paying her the most for the fewest games. That isn’t the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Afraid not. WBB players' main teams are the ones they play with during basketball season and make their livings from. Like DT said, "This [Russia, during basketball season] is the real season."

Reaction Score
I think her main team is the one paying her the most for the fewest games. That isn’t the WNBA.

That may be true, but what team ultimately drafted her first, while WNBA may not pay a lot it’s still the athletes main team. I just was saying at the end of the day it’s there choice to go over seas, they don’t technically have to. I guess I’m just thinking it sucks for Seattle who was looking to repeat this year, I get it that majority of these ladies go over seas because it pays them more. Knowing that you play the WNBA season then turn around to go over seas that’s a lot of basketball, so the risk is way higher imo In getting hurt.

Reaction Score
Afraid not. WBB players' main teams are the ones they play with during basketball season and make their livings from. Like DT said, "This [Russia, during basketball season] is the real season."

I get it, and to me that’s what sucks about the WNBA, I just mention this in my last post, that’s a lot of basketball to play a WNBA season the turn around and go over seas to play, then back town to start the WNBA season again that’s a lot, and risk of injury becomes way higher to me that takes a grind on your body after awhile right?

Reaction Score
I found these tweets on twitter, this is ultimately what I was saying

Prayers up for @breannastewart. It’s unfathomable to imagine the wear on WNBA players’ bodies going straight from the season to overseas and back; heartbreaking if this affects her season.

This gruesome Breanna Stewart injury while playing overseas is another example of why we need more investment into the WNBA. These pro players shouldn’t have to play year-round & wear their bodies down + risk further injury while most other pro athletes get an off season to rest

Reaction Score
The WNBA doesn't generate enough revenue to pay large salaries and until they do the players will opt to go where they get paid well. It's a business, not a social experiment, and the fact American players play here at all is pretty remarkable.

Breanna and the others have a limited number of years to make money playing basketball and Diana Taurasi is a good example of why so many play overseas. If I recall correctly, Diana was making $1.5 Million in Russia while maxed out at a little over $100 K here. Who, in their right mind, wouldn't go overseas for an annual pay differential of that magnitude?

Reaction Score
The WNBA doesn't generate enough revenue to pay large salaries and until they do the players will opt to go where they get paid well. It's a business, not a social experiment, and the fact American players play here at all is pretty remarkable.

Breanna and the others have a limited number of years to make money playing basketball and Diana Taurasi is a good example of why so many play overseas. If I recall correctly, Diana was making $1.5 Million in Russia while maxed out at a little over $100 K here. Who, in their right mind, wouldn't go overseas for an annual pay differential of that magnitude?

Oh definitely, which sucks, because they shouldn’t have to, I was literally thinking about this the other day, that’s a lot of basketball WNBA season, overseas, then back down for the start of the new WNBA season, they literally have no break, I mean while 1.5 million is a lot, that to me still isn’t enough for the wear and tear they are putting on there bodies.

Reaction Score
Some players like Skylar Diggins don't have to go overseas because they make a ton of money from endorsements and brands

Reaction Score
Oh definitely, which sucks, because they shouldn’t have to, I was literally thinking about this the other day, that’s a lot of basketball WNBA season, overseas, then back down for the start of the new WNBA season, they literally have no break, I mean while 1.5 million is a lot, that to me still isn’t enough for the wear and tear they are putting on there bodies.
You must be pretty well off then. To most people $1.5 million for 4-5 months is pretty good wages. So if you weren't already wealthy, why wouldn't you just skip the measly $50-100K WNBA summer season and rest up in the summer so you could withstand the wear and tear of the normal basketball season?

Reaction Score
That may be true, but what team ultimately drafted her first, while WNBA may not pay a lot it’s still the athletes main team. I just was saying at the end of the day it’s there choice to go over seas, they don’t technically have to. I guess I’m just thinking it sucks for Seattle who was looking to repeat this year, I get it that majority of these ladies go over seas because it pays them more. Knowing that you play the WNBA season then turn around to go over seas that’s a lot of basketball, so the risk is way higher imo In getting hurt.
You play for two teams. One values you at $100,000 a season, the other at $50,000. So which team are you more obligated to? Which is really your main team? And I say this as a big fan of the Storm, having watched all their games last year and eagerly awaiting this season. I am a fan of women's basketball at college and pro level. I don't watch the men's game at all. Until more fans show up WNBA players will be paid a pittance. Stewie was mvp. I suspect the lowest salaried player in NBA made more. They draw bigger crowds, command more for television rights. UConn's greatest achievement isn't 11 titles themselves, it is the size of the crowd that shows up when they come visiting. Teams that normally play before a few hundred suddenly see packed houses. It is the same with other women team sports. Three years ago in the Women's Pro Softball World Series the two best pitchets in the world, softball or baseball, dueled in two one run games before a tiny crowd. Want our women to stay home--fill the stands, take a friend to a game--women make up 51% of the population. The Midterms showed the effect you can have in politics. Do the same for women's sports. You'll probably have a better time.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
You must be pretty well off then. To most people $1.5 million for 4-5 months is pretty good wages. So if you weren't already wealthy, why wouldn't you just skip the measly $50-100K WNBA summer season and rest up in the summer so you could withstand the wear and tear of the normal basketball season?

Chance to play in front of family and friends as well as play against the best competition and improve your game, establish your legacy, etc. I'm surprised more players dont sit out or at least take chunks of seasons off like Parker/Angel have done to rest and recuperate.

Sure itd be nice if they made millions like high revenue leagues do, but fact is most players do make enough to live year round off of their 3 month salary which is pretty cool in itself. Plus they have the option to:
1. Play overseas and make big bucks they can live off of potentially for life
2. Train at home and take 9 months off
3. Pursue other career paths like EDD, Diggins, Chiney, Lawson, etc have done

Compared to almost any other women's pro league, WNBA players have an awesome situation for being in their 20s and 30s.

Reaction Score

I mean it’s a lot, but not enough for the amount of basketball there playing, and I ultimately blame the WNBA for that, because I don’t fault these ladies for wanting to make more money to support themselves, and a lot of them do have to, most of these women don’t have the endorsements like skylar were they don’t need to go overseas. Somebody as talented as breanna shouldn’t have to play extra basketball after the WNBA season just to support herself. I hope eventually that the WNBA gets to a place we’re these women don’t have to continue to play overseas right after the season ends.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
When you consider your livelihood is professional BB, playing over seas is the financial draw that I would pursue, if it was me. If you talk about taking time off to heal, rest and recoup from one season or the other, I would be taking off the WNBA season. If health and rest is my concern, I would save my physical health for the season that pays the most. I understand that these young women love the game and want to play both seasons so they do. For those of you that say they should take off one season or the other, for me it would be taking off the cheapest (talking strictly $$$$) season. If you worked for two different companies during the year, as some do that work seasonal jobs, would you rest during the season that pays the most????? I think not.
My heart breaks for Stewie and I pray for her quick and full recovery. All of us fans will miss her. She'll return and play when and where she wishes. We don't get to second guess her choices as to who and when to play.

Reaction Score
I mean it’s a lot, but not enough for the amount of basketball there playing, and I ultimately blame the WNBA for that, because I don’t fault these ladies for wanting to make more money to support themselves, and a lot of them do have to, most of these women don’t have the endorsements like skylar were they don’t need to go overseas. Somebody as talented as breanna shouldn’t have to play extra basketball after the WNBA season just to support herself. I hope eventually that the WNBA gets to a place we’re these women don’t have to continue to play overseas right after the season ends.
I think it is important to the biggest stars to play in the WNBA so they can maintain the USA following they brought with them from college, and develop a brand so they can get shoe contracts and have other commercial opportunities. But that is only for a very small handful of players. The rest need to make a living playing basketball, and you can't do that very well just limiting yourself to playing in the WNBA for a short summer season. Just my opinion/observation.

And you blame the WNBA for the low pay? Half the teams are bleeding money and teams are being sold every year because the owners get weary of subsidizing them. These are big name teams, not just small market teams - New York this year, LA a couple years ago. The WNBA can't set up a shop in the basement and print money. It has to come from the fans - from actually paying to attend the games (1/2 of the meager attendance figures now are from promotional free tickets), and enough watching on TV to get ratings that will actually interest sponsors.

Reaction Score
Yes, the big salaries are in the overseas leagues. Yes, WNBA salaries are a pittance in comparison. But those endorsement contracts can be big money. I wonder ... do you think it is perhaps a stipulation of endorsement contracts (Nike, Adidas etc) that these players actually play in the WNBA?

Reaction Score
Yes, the big salaries are in the overseas leagues. Yes, WNBA salaries are a pittance in comparison. But those endorsement contracts can be big money. I wonder ... do you think it is perhaps a stipulation of endorsement contracts (Nike, Adidas etc) that these players actually play in the WNBA?
That would make sense. But unless you're Diana Taurasi, Skylar Diggins, Elena Della Donne, etc, the WNBA shoe deals are chump change. When Moriah was drafted by San Antonio she signed with Adidas for something like $25,000.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom