Did Stewie Tear ACL? | The Boneyard

Did Stewie Tear ACL?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Tuned in late to the Euroleague final and the announcer alluded to this. Anybody have the real scoop?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She grabbed her ankle not her knee. Looked and sounded serious. No word yet.

psconn

Reaction Score
Torn achilles not good either. I would think if it either, she's out for the WNBA season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Further down in the twitter thread.

Paul Nilsen

I HOPE that after a second opinion - it will not be this serious but that is what many are saying behind scenes... (just to clarify)

so let's continue to hope.

psconn

Reaction Score
I held my breath for four years at UConn. After Shea's knee issues, Stewie's similar pidgeon-toed gait always made me nervous. I have no idea if there's any actual medical connection between the two, it was just the way I felt. In today's game, she apparently landed on BG's foot.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Let's all hope for the best. But just in case, let's take a moment to send up a collective Boneyard prayer for Stewie that whatever her injury is, it's a MINOR one, and she has a speedy recovery. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
See below :-(

yes ... she is clutching at her right ankle. looks like it occured just as she launched her shot. Her shot was nowhere near the goal as she was in obvious pain at the jump. Britney Griner was not near her right ankle - no contact at all. maybe incidental contact with her left leg when she landed after the shot. Makes me think it is her achilles though it could be an ankle ligament.

Reaction Score
Cajun, you have analyzed this well. Coming down from her jump shot, she didn't put any weight on her right leg at all.

Reaction Score
The diagnosis of a torn Achilles can usually be made on clinical grounds so if this is what is being said it’s probably correct. However, I certainly hope it’s not so.

Reaction Score
This is why I don’t like when they go over seas to play, I get it they more then likely get paid more over seas, but risk like this can happen, and now it looks like Seattle will be without there best player for the season.

Reaction Score
Seeing an athlete sidelined with an injury is always difficult but this is especially hard for UConn fans not only because we love Stewie but we miss out on the opportunity of seeing two of our all-time favorites from 14 years apart playing some great ball together. Hope Sue will stick around long enough to win another WNBA championship or gold medal with Stewie.

Reaction Score
She grabbed her ankle not her knee. Looked and sounded serious. No word yet.
I hope and pray Stewie has only a minor injury. This is, however, the travesty associated with highly caliber, professional Women’s Basketball players. To gain financially for their enormous talent they have to play outside the U.S. with a schedule that spans practically year- round. Their bodies aren’t always able to weather the toll it takes on them and serious injuries result. It’s high time that they start being compensated by the WNBA commensurate with their outstanding athletic abilities.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Torn Achilles is very, very bad indeed. The sad truth is few players are ever the same after it. All of my good thoughts are going out to Stewie.
Agreed. She may never be the same player again. Thoughts and prayers for Stewie. So sad!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tamika Catchings tore her achilles tendon in 2007 and returned to have some great seasons for the Fever.

It's an injury seen more with male basketball players than female players.

Reaction Score
To gain financially for their enormous talent they have to play outside the U.S. with a schedule that spans practically year- round. Their bodies aren’t always able to weather the toll it takes on them and serious injuries result.

Steph Curry and his teammates played 25% more games last year than Brianna, in a much shorter timeframe. I doubt they have any sympathies for female players' work loads, especially since male players tear their achilles as well (e.g. DeMarcus Cousins).

It’s high time that they start being compensated by the WNBA commensurate with their outstanding athletic abilities.

They already are.

Reaction Score
Their over sea's teams don't like them playing in the WNBA either. I believe DT was payed the salary she would have made by her Russian team just to sit out one WNBA season. Most players if having to to chose to sit out one or the other will sit out the WNBA. It pays them less.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom