Did She Get On The Boat I Wonder | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Did She Get On The Boat I Wonder

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
no program, even UConn can offer a guaranteed championship...a guaranteed trip to the NCAAs yes.....
He must have been talking about a guaranteed conference championship.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Love these comments but add a few thoughts to them.
Of course we all are thrilled KLS made the "thinking out of the box choice she did."
Your next paragraph says it all really! Here's what KLS got that makes her smile so often. She became a likely three time AA. She went to the FF all three years so far. She is likely a top five or higher draft choice in the WNBA. She met and became BFF with Pheesa that hopefully that relationship lasts a lifetime. She has the opportunity to develop a telationship with Koby and is prepared intellectually, emotionally and basketball wise to be able to take in his sage advice.
She's a favorite of Geno, the greatest coach in the history of team sports. She has CD whispering in her other ear so many important things about basketball but more importantly about life. Sure there's a much longer list than I've put together.
Then look at Pheesa, Stewie, Maya, Bird, DT and Rebecca Lobo, who made one of the very best speeches I've heard ever at a HOF induction
ceremony.
Damn, Jordan and Aubrey, what more can one ask and strive for and all of the above and more become the building blocks. Of course HJ & AB, you both too should be taking all this in!
The two other truly great women's coaches TAra and Muffet bring great coaching, programs, academic institutions but can't touch the above!
Just ask KLS why she's so happy with her risky but so fulfilled choice.
Or ask any of the others who they are and how they got there?
Bronx23

With respect to Pheesa and Lou and the next WNBA draft, don’t be surprised if Collier goes before Lou, and don’t be surprised if they go back to back right after the two BIGS McCowan and Brown. Remember, Pheesa held her own recently with the USA national team this summer, and was one of the last cuts.

The Aces have the first pick in the draft (again), and would welcome either Collier or Samuelson into the fold. However everyone knows Laimbeer is going BIG with that first pick, unless a team makes him a “Godfather” type offer.

He’s got threes and fours. He needs a five. Being a former post player, he has a affection and an appreciation for Bigs, especially those with a huge upside that can run the floor, and can come in and help the Aces win NOW!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Well, in fairness, it sure did look like that for a while...:oops::rolleyes:
I did this in my head a while back so I could very well be wrong. But it looks to me that since the HS class of 1990 only two classes have gone through the program and not won a championship (HS classes of '95, '04).

Maybe one of the history people on the board can confirm or clarify.

Carnac

Reaction Score
My son lives in LA. I’m in CT. I can attest to the fact that there can be rainy days in SoCal, including around San Diego (had a vacation messed up by 4 days of rain). The mudslides don’t happen by magic. But I’d take LA weather anytime. Usually nice, can be cool into the 40s in January, but the only ice is in the freezer. Santa Monica Pier is fun. A basketball player can go there all summer back home fro. Connecticut.

So. Cal is not utopia by any means. We have our challenges here too. Rain, wind (Santa Ana's), brush fires every year in the surrounding mountains and foothills.

Don’t forget about our outrageous cost of living, our infamous earthquakes, and our "world class traffic jams".....7 days a week. On the other end, we're blessed in being spared snow, hurricanes, tornadoes and winter temperatures in the teens. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Where to hide from Mother Nature.

After much debate, then, we settled on Slate's "America's Best Place to Avoid Death Due to Natural Disaster": the area in and around Storrs, Conn., home to the University of Connecticut. It lies in Tolland County, which was not part of the 1999 federal disaster declaration for Tropical Storm Floyd. It's a safe 50 miles from the sound and not close to any rivers. It also has relatively easy access to a major city (Hartford) in the event an evacuation or hospitalization becomes necessary.*

Reaction Score
I live in Santa Cruz. In fact, I live just around the corner(well, actually around two corners) from Haley’s and her parents house. Her father, Patrick was in the same class as my younger son. My two sons played Soccer(four years varsity) Golf and ran track. Patrick concentrated on basketball. So we only knew them very casually, seeing them at school functions(fund raisers, etc.)

I had seen a comment or two about Haley’s accomplishments at Mitty High in the local paper, but had no idea she was that good until her name appeared in the Boneyard. She has a great basketball pedigree. Both parents were stars on their respective Santa Cruz High basketball teams. And both parents were head coaches of the girls and boys teams respectively for several years. So there is no doubt in my mind as to the altitude of her basketball IQ.

As for the picture above, I have stood there several times. There are many more scenic spots in town and, as most residents live within a mile or so of the water, we are often presented with a great view. The sky you see in the photo is the sky we see almost 300 days of the year. Yes, there is fog, but it does “burn off” by noon(often by 9 or 10AM). We have lived here for 44 years and during that time it has snowed twice for about an hour with the flakes melting as they touched the ground. All that being said, I can say from experience with my sons that young people out here are appreciative of their climate and scenic environment but are also well traveled and want to see more of other places. My sons went to the New England and New Jersey areas for college. They found the social and scenic aspects stimulating and rewarding and the Winters invigorating. I think Haley, like them, will see many more pluses than minuses to going back there to school.

I believe UConn’s big competition is Stanford. I’m sure Haley could do well academically at Stanford. Stanford is ranked #2 academically this year behind MIT. That’s a strong pull if you qualify. And I think Haley is smart enough to look forward to life after basketball(i.e. the last 2/3 of her adult life. A lot depends on what she wants as a “second career”. If she wants to be a physician, a professor or a politician then Stanford looks good. If she is interested in a career in athletics(coach, G.M.,etc.) then Geno and UConn look good.

As somebody must have said, “the ball’s in her court”.

Reaction Score
I live in Santa Cruz. In fact, I live just around the corner(well, actually around two corners) from Haley’s and her parents house. Her father, Patrick was in the same class as my younger son. My two sons played Soccer(four years varsity) Golf and ran track. Patrick concentrated on basketball. So we only knew them very casually, seeing them at school functions(fund raisers, etc.)

I had seen a comment or two about Haley’s accomplishments at Mitty High in the local paper, but had no idea she was that good until her name appeared in the Boneyard. She has a great basketball pedigree. Both parents were stars on their respective Santa Cruz High basketball teams. And both parents were head coaches of the girls and boys teams respectively for several years. So there is no doubt in my mind as to the altitude of her basketball IQ.

As for the picture above, I have stood there several times. There are many more scenic spots in town and, as most residents live within a mile or so of the water, we are often presented with a great view. The sky you see in the photo is the sky we see almost 300 days of the year. Yes, there is fog, but it does “burn off” by noon(often by 9 or 10AM). We have lived here for 44 years and during that time it has snowed twice for about an hour with the flakes melting as they touched the ground. All that being said, I can say from experience with my sons that young people out here are appreciative of their climate and scenic environment but are also well traveled and want to see more of other places. My sons went to the New England and New Jersey areas for college. They found the social and scenic aspects stimulating and rewarding and the Winters invigorating. I think Haley, like them, will see many more pluses than minuses to going back there to school.

I believe UConn’s big competition is Stanford. I’m sure Haley could do well academically at Stanford. Stanford is ranked #2 academically this year behind MIT. That’s a strong pull if you qualify. And I think Haley is smart enough to look forward to life after basketball(i.e. the last 2/3 of her adult life. A lot depends on what she wants as a “second career”. If she wants to be a physician, a professor or a politician then Stanford looks good. If she is interested in a career in athletics(coach, G.M.,etc.) then Geno and UConn look good.

As somebody must have said, “the ball’s in her court”.

right you are.........how about adopting a Husky and flying an extremely large UConn flag outside your house for the next few months.............it couldn't hurt...............:rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I live in Santa Cruz

Sharkstooth Beach is just outside of Santa Cruz isn't it? I was doing a road trip up Hwy 1 several years ago, saw this huge chunk of rock over my shoulder. Whoa, what is that? There was a pull out and a path heading down to the beach, so I went and checked it out. Had never heard anything about it but stopped on a whim driving by. Cool spot.

Okay, I had to google it for my edification. Some confusion, appears as both Sharkstooth and Shark Fin. Anyway, it is in Santa Cruz.

Google Image Result for http://santacruzlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/shark-fin-cove.jpg

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I live in Santa Cruz.
As for the picture above, I have stood there several times. There are many more scenic spots in town and, as most residents live within a mile or so of the water, we are often presented with a great view.
That looks like the inlet in the sate park with the butterfly preserve? Went there last spring before we went to sample Sante Adarious sour beers! Beautiful spot and the butterflies are amazing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I did this in my head a while back so I could very well be wrong. But it looks to me that since the HS class of 1990 only two classes have gone through the program and not won a championship (HS classes of '95, '04).

Maybe one of the history people on the board can confirm or clarify.
Looks right to me.

Reaction Score
Home visit....NICE.

DnQ4YcQUwAECE9J.jpg:large

Muffet Bench report. Sorry if it is really old news. Haley Jones.

BTW the new Hall of Famer looks great!
Yes she does!!!

Reaction Score
competition has come to college WBB with great players spread throughout the top ten along with some improved coaching....unless UConn gets a recruiting haul in the next two years they will be just one of a few really good teams

Uconn WBB has had lean years in the past. A few VERY lean years. Somehow immediately afterwards he pulls a few Rabbits out of his chappeau and the WBB world starts complaining UConn is bad for the game. I enjoyed those very lean years. Geno had some exceptional players on those team, players that didn't get all the kind of respect they deserved. Some wonderful kids didn't make headlines outside of Hartford but they were fun to watch.
I could prattle on about the kids on this bench but everyone knows how hard they work to give us a great game to watch.

Reaction Score
This is what most days look like here in the coastal areas of California, especially Southern California once the morning fog burns off. 72 degrees and sunny with a cool sea breeze blowing in off the ocean. :cool:

One more thing.......it NEVER snows in the Los Angeles metropolitan area. We're in a basin, practically at sea level. We get a hail storm once every 5-7 years. The ice sticks on grass (not sidewalks/streets) for about 30 minutes, then melts. Two hours later, you can't tell it hailed. In over 65 years, I've never seen it snow in L.A. We have local mountains (less than an hour's drive) that get plenty of snow and are home to several ski resorts, if you're into that sort of thing. We also get snow in the Gorman/Castaic area about 50 miles to the north, just not in the L.A. basin.

I lived in Sunnyvale, near Montain View and Palo Alto--never saw snow except in the mountains.
You say a lot of nice words about Southern Cal but not one word about ----TRAFFIC!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
I lived in Sunnyvale, near Montain View and Palo Alto--never saw snow except in the mountains.
You say a lot of nice words about Southern Cal but not one word about ----TRAFFIC!!

Er, thanks. I forgot about our never ending traffic jams.................Comment has been corrected. :cool:

Reaction Score
Er, thanks. I forgot about our never ending traffic jams.......Comment has been corrected. :cool:
Don't feel bad I have the same reaction going over the Tappan Zee bridge and Danbury Ct. I avoid them and most of the Conn highways as ever I can.
Going from John Wayne Ap to LAX by car or limo is a once in a life time ride. I'd never do it again.
150 years ago, seems like that, the trip up Rt 5 wasn't near as adventurious except for the sometime smoke outs.
I got kids just north of SD and Los Altos (San Jose).

Reaction Score
Where to hide from Mother Nature.

After much debate, then, we settled on Slate's "America's Best Place to Avoid Death Due to Natural Disaster": the area in and around Storrs, Conn., home to the University of Connecticut. It lies in Tolland County, which was not part of the 1999 federal disaster declaration for Tropical Storm Floyd.

It's a safe 50 miles from the sound and not close to any rivers. It also has relatively easy access to a major city (Hartford) in the event an evacuation or hospitalization becomes necessary.*

Yea, Tolland County is protected against everything except SNOW. My family had some great times in Storrs in the winter: Tobogganing down the slopes on the north side of 195 and Ice Skating in the arena. To top that off there were basketball games to watch played by real student athletes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom