Did Hurley give any reason why he did not play Akok? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Did Hurley give any reason why he did not play Akok?

Reaction Score
I think we’ll look back at his career arc as a sad story of injuries robbing someone of their potential. We thought he’d be bouknight before bouknight. I hope I’m wrong, but I think this is who he’ll be.
I'm not sure anyone thought he would be Bouknight, but he was thought of as an NBA talent. I haven't written him off yet, he still has time to put it together. By all accounts he is a very hard worker. Look at how much Jackson has improved in a short span of time. It's not unprecedented.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure anyone thought he would be Bouknight, but he was thought of as an NBA talent. I haven't written him off yet, he still has time to put it together. By all accounts he is a very hard worker. Look at how much Jackson has improved in a short span of time. It's not unprecedented.

Ater Majok?

Reaction Score
Maybe I’m in the minority , but is it just me or everytime akok comes in he does something positive? —- from the small sample size we get from him it always seems like he has a couple nice blocks , one or 2 treys and some solid energy that the rest of the guys seem to feed off of. Shoot, he caught a nice alley on Tuesday night that injected some life into the dead older crowd. He had a little stretch the past month where he would have a really good first half and then barely see the floor come second half. I don’t get why he doesn’t play more. Besides getting beat a little and sometimes not strong enough on D, I think he’s been pretty productive this year -at least since the providence game- given the small amount of minutes he’s played. Plus, he seems like such a positive example when he’s on the floor - great energy and effort —My buddies and myself all can’t understand why he’s not playing more —Weird.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As it happens every year, the rotation is shrinking. Sometimes shrinkage is based on injuries, sometimes it's individual performance, sometimes it's just how the team is meshing. Sometimes it's because it's cold.

Five starters- Sanogo, Whaley, Martin, AJax, Cole
Core Bench players- Polley, Gaff, Hawkins

Akok is clearly becoming the 9th man in an 8-man rotation.

Do I think Akok will have games with more than 20 mpg going forward? Certainly. His rim protection, outside shooting and energy running the court have their places and will be needed this season. Going forward his last two games split of 22 and 3 will continue to be more common for him than any of the other 8 in front of him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Apparently you don't think we would win with Akok getting more minutes. Imo I think we do win with him having more minutes also.
Hurley is an excellent man manager, and he has a lot of balls to juggle. Actually, it's more like the spinning plates. Akok played more minutes on Tuesday because Whaley was struggling. In the interim, Hurley said, "One of my top priorities is to get Isaiah Whaley going." One way to get him going is keeping him in the game when he was playing great. Unfortunately for Akok, the added minutes came at his expense.

Reaction Score
Maybe I’m in the minority , but is it just me or everytime akok comes in he does something positive? —- from the small sample size we get from him it always seems like he has a couple nice blocks , one or 2 treys and some solid energy that the rest of the guys seem to feed off of. Shoot, he caught a nice alley on Tuesday night that injected some life into the dead older crowd. He had a little stretch the past month where he would have a really good first half and then barely see the floor come second half. I don’t get why he doesn’t play more. Besides getting beat a little and sometimes not strong enough on D, I think he’s been pretty productive this year -at least since the providence game- given the small amount of minutes he’s played. Plus, he seems like such a positive example when he’s on the floor - great energy and effort —My buddies and myself all can’t understand why he’s not playing more —Weird.

HuskyHawk's burner.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Why didn’t we play the backup of the guys who combined for like 30 points and 20 rebounds? Oh

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
HuskyHawk's burner.

Just another wise an observant basketball fan.;) I am sincere in thinking his biggest challenge is that he doesn't have the minutes to get into a flow and rhythm with the other guys. I also think Hurley misuses him on offense, asking him to stand in the corner too often, which takes him or anyone out of the play. He doesn't get credit for good fundamentals, he set a fantastic screen that freed up Polley for a 3 on Tuesday. Credit to Polley for making it, but he doesn't get it off without that screen.

Reaction Score
Just another wise an observant basketball fan.;) I am sincere in thinking his biggest challenge is that he doesn't have the minutes to get into a flow and rhythm with the other guys. I also think Hurley misuses him on offense, asking him to stand in the corner too often, which takes him or anyone out of the play. He doesn't get credit for good fundamentals, he set a fantastic screen that freed up Polley for a 3 on Tuesday. Credit to Polley for making it, but he doesn't get it off without that screen.
The kid is a winner. I'd dove to see him get more minutes. Sanogo has to get his minutes and if Whaley is a double-double he has to play similar minutes. So you look to the wing and you have AJ and Tyrese. You don't want to have any of them off the floor too much. That said, I still believe in Akok. He is one of those focused kids who won't allow himself to fail. I'm confident it will click.

Reaction Score
Akok is a physically weak player without confidence to put the ball on the floor to create a shot.
I completely agree with the 2nd part. Akok is definetly a streaky player, but rarely looks to work off the bounce. I love som crisp ball movement but sometimes Akok is just an awkward offensive player. I think there’s a crazy amount of potential there he just has to get in the gym with Andre + Sanogo to harvest that.

Reaction Score
Ater Majok?
Interesting comparison. I think Akok works harder and has more focus. Certainly a better shot blocker and interior presence than Majok. Majok really wanted to be a wing despite his size. I'm not sure if Akok is a stretch 4. I guess he is.

Curiosity got the best of me so I researched Ater Majok to see what his pro career has been like. He has played for 22 teams worldwide as a pro.

Reaction Score
Akok is a physically weak player without confidence to put the ball on the floor to create a shot. He’s not strong enough to defend and bang against most BE players at his position. Hurley is about defense first. Until he shows something better I agree with Hurley.
Sounds like Hawkins...just saying

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think we’ll look back at his career arc as a sad story of injuries robbing someone of their potential. We thought he’d be bouknight before bouknight. I hope I’m wrong, but I think this is who he’ll be.
Unfortunately I think you may be onto something. Reminds me of Omar Calhoun. who just wasn't the same player after the surgeries.

Reaction Score
I also think Hurley misuses him on offense, asking him to stand in the corner too often, which takes him or anyone out of the play.
cant really remember his frosh year but i'd be surprised if hurley ever called his number for a scoring play. he averaged 5.8 ppg in over 25 mpg. you can get that from offensive putbacks and capitalizing on broken plays. maybe an alley oop here and there.

if anything, i'd say he has a more defined role in the offense now where he's standing in the short corner waiting for a kickout when the D collapses.

Reaction Score
Yeah but Akok is supposed to be a forward not a 2 guard. He has to mix it up inside with guys who have 30 pounds on him.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Akok has been overrated on the board for two years now. He is a remarkable specimen - jumping ability, long limbs, quicker than you think at his length. And he has been hitting threes at a better pace than expected. Much better. But I'm with @Tenspro2002 on this one.

On offense, he's not a post-up guy like Sanogo, can't create his own shot like Martin, and isn't a good enough shooter that you set him up with screens like Polley.

Likewise, on defense, he can't bang in the post like Sanogo/Whaley and he can't keep up with anyone who would try to attack off the dribble like Jackson/Martin. He's a great weak-side or help defender with his shot-blocking ability, but that's about it.

He's a solid player, and can contribute, but each of the things Tenspro lists are true. Despite the long legs his handle and first step don't seem to get him to the hoop. He doesn't have the strength or post-up game to bang inside on offense or defense. He's not the guy you want handling the ball against pressure (whereas Polley has shown to be a reliable outlet for relieving pressure). He gets open 3's because the D doesn't fear him like Polley. Whaley is better harassing on D, particularly on pick & roll. We expect a lot because of flashes. But even the most brilliant flashes are just that, not consistently bright light.

And no, I don't think he should be stuck at the end of the rotation. Love seeing him finishing on the break hammering an alley-oop, and the shot blocking is a threat. There's enough there to get minutes, but he has some work to do ... this isn't the NBA, they all have work to do.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hurley is paid to coach. We lose a close game and half the BY thinks he screwed up. We win by 20 and half the BY wonder why a guy who has been erratic on the low side of production.didn’t play more. Armchair coaching is a breeze.

Reaction Score
Exactly, what has Hawkins done that earns him minutes? Can’t hit the ocean from a boat. Can’t guard his man, let alone stay in front of him. Gets nudged out of the way consistently.
Right now, Akok is a better option to contribute more.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Exactly, what has Hawkins done that earns him minutes? Can’t hit the ocean from a boat. Can’t guard his man, let alone stay in front of him. Gets nudged out of the way consistently.
Right now, Akok is a better option to contribute more.
What minutes? Hawkins played 7 minutes last night, and while he played 18 (14 points) on Tuesday, Akok was out there for 22.

They both need to find their shot, but Hawkins has a set position. Akok is a tweener, too slight to be a 4 and not consistent enough offensively to be a 3. My general layman's observation is that Akok's minutes are a direct reflection of how well Whaley is playing.

Reaction Score
Hurley is an excellent man manager, and he has a lot of balls to juggle. Actually, it's more like the spinning plates. Akok played more minutes on Tuesday because Whaley was struggling. In the interim, Hurley said, "One of my top priorities is to get Isaiah Whaley going." One way to get him going is keeping him in the game when he was playing great. Unfortunately for Akok, the added minutes came at his expense.

I'm not in total agreement on the "excellent man manager." But hey it's your opinion and I respect that. I am not a Hurley hater and I do believe we have the right coach. ;)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What minutes? Hawkins played 7 minutes last night, and while he played 18 (14 points) on Tuesday, Akok was out there for 22.

They both need to find their shot, but Hawkins has a set position. Akok is a tweener, too slight to be a 4 and not consistent enough offensively to be a 3. My general layman's observation is that Akok's minutes are a direct reflection of how well Whaley is playing.

What? He is not that slight. He's a damn sight stronger and more physical than Polley who spent many of his minutes at the 4 last night and who has never met a rebound he didn't want to grab. Watch Akok board, he isn't afraid to rebound in traffic and is very good at it. He's easily big enough to be a modern 4. Per 40 he averages 9.6 boards, behind Sanogo, Jackson and Springs. Polley is 4.2 and can't guard anyone in the paint at all. Blocks: Polley .4, Akok 3 per 40. He isn't nearly as slight as he was as a freshman.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom