Did Hurley give any reason why he did not play Akok? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Did Hurley give any reason why he did not play Akok?

Reaction Score
He was an enthusiastic player full of energy and would pump up his team and fans, not so much now. Last night on the bench he did not seem as engaged.
Tired Over It GIF by Men in Kilts: A Roadtrip with Sam and Graham

Reaction Score
Similar to when Whaley has a game like Tuesday where he doesn't play a lot of Martin has an off game with minutes absorbed by Hawkins, it isn't an indictment of the player more an indication of their surroundings: this is a top 25 with depth.

Akok is starting and playing 30 minutes for most teams in the country. However, he is at UConn where he is fighting for minutes at the 4 and 5 spots between Sanogo, Whaley, and Polley.

We know Akok is an excellent shot blocker and has the potential to be a 3-point threat, however, he is on a very short leash right now because Polley is surging from distance and Akok hasn't made a 3-pointer since the Seton Hall game (last 3 games 0-4 form 3).

It isn't the end for Akok, it is just a very different role from his freshman year when there wasn't that much talent on the team and he was needed to step in.

Sanogo has also gotten much better staying out of foul trouble, granted last night not so much, but next time he gets two cheap ones before the 16U, that will be when Akok gets major run.

He doesn't have the offensive ceiling of Sanogo or all around defensive ability of Whaley so he is getting squeezed. Akok is still a good player but this is also a very good team with a lot of good players. Period.

Reaction Score
@Get a Job thank you for rephrasing "high-level college basketball." In retrospect, I might not even agree with my own statement regarding that phrase.”

Akok is certainly worthy of more playing time on this team, people say all kinds of things mostly semi negative regarding his play. How can someone have any kind confidence when you had a very solid game against a team you played 48 hours before and you come in and what, play 2 minutes? Now not playing tough, can not guard well yada yada yada. Something is not right here, he was an enthusiastic player full of energy and would pump up his team and fans, not so much now. Last night on the bench he did not seem as engaged. He is certainly a better player than Polly and on equal with Whaley all around with the exception of man D. Akok needs more minutes on the floor than what he is seeing.
Call up Hurley and explain this to him, tell him how you feel. You sound like the parent who thinks their kid is god and in all reality is just mediocre at best.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The awesome thing is we don’t need Akok to be more than a role player.

He obviously hasn’t hit the ceiling that most of us thought he could have reached by this time, but he still has time to add to both end of his game.

And if he doesn’t, he’s still a nice luxury to give us some run with the second unit for the next few seasons.

Reaction Score
He certainly needs to get stronger, but saying the guy isn’t good enough to play college bball is crazy. The reality is that we have better options. If Akok played for Butler he’d probably play 30+ minutes and average 15 points…it’s all perspective and many of our fans have lost it the past couple of seasons
I didn't say he's not good enough to play college basketball.

I said that for players with his profile and skill, the whole is almost always less than the sum of the parts in a 5-on-5 setting.

Reaction Score
Similar to when Whaley has a game like Tuesday where he doesn't play a lot of Martin has an off game with minutes absorbed by Hawkins, it isn't an indictment of the player more an indication of their surroundings: this is a top 25 with depth.

Akok is starting and playing 30 minutes for most teams in the country. However, he is at UConn where he is fighting for minutes at the 4 and 5 spots between Sanogo, Whaley, and Polley.

We know Akok is an excellent shot blocker and has the potential to be a 3-point threat, however, he is on a very short leash right now because Polley is surging from distance and Akok hasn't made a 3-pointer since the Seton Hall game (last 3 games 0-4 form 3).

It isn't the end for Akok, it is just a very different role from his freshman year when there wasn't that much talent on the team and he was needed to step in.

Sanogo has also gotten much better staying out of foul trouble, granted last night not so much, but next time he gets two cheap ones before the 16U, that will be when Akok gets major run.

He doesn't have the offensive ceiling of Sanogo or all around defensive ability of Whaley so he is getting squeezed. Akok is still a good player but this is also a very good team with a lot of good players. Period.

I wouldnt say Polley is "surging from distance." Yeah he hits a few threes and can hit a big shot, but for the amount of minutes he gets, he isnt doing much else. Last night 2-6 from 3 and 1 rebound in 26 minutes. Polley drives me absolute bonkers when he shoots 3s and just stands there or backtracks and doesnt follow his shot. I'm happy for Polley to get some time in games to hit some shots but he's not Rashad Anderson. I think part of the problem though is we really have no one else, or no one else that Hurley is willing to play. Polley rarely makes turnovers outside of missing shots and maybe that's why Hurley likes to keep him in.

Reaction Score
Are we coaching minutes or are we coaching to win games? If you like coaching minutes, checkout the G-League. They sub by minutes, not game situation and it's unwatchable.
Apparently you don't think we would win with Akok getting more minutes. Imo I think we do win with him having more minutes also.

Reaction Score

I think this is the concerning part, actually...If your main roles are 3 & D, and you're avg 1.3 3PA per game, that's not 3&D, that's a limited, floating stretch 4.

I don't see him ever dribbling the ball more than once or twice...he needs to find other ways to make an impact...Very similar to Polley in that regard. If he isn't hitting 3s, then what are we getting?

Reaction Score

Akok's stats. 2021 is the top line.​

Career Stats​

See All
Stats
2021-22
2020-21
2019-20

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

Reaction Score
I wouldnt say Polley is "surging from distance." Yeah he hits a few threes and can hit a big shot, but for the amount of minutes he gets, he isnt doing much else. Last night 2-6 from 3 and 1 rebound in 26 minutes. Polley drives me absolute bonkers when he shoots 3s and just stands there or backtracks and doesnt follow his shot. I'm happy for Polley to get some time in games to hit some shots but he's not Rashad Anderson. I think part of the problem though is we really have no one else, or no one else that Hurley is willing to play. Polley rarely makes turnovers outside of missing shots and maybe that's why Hurley likes to keep him in.
Shooting 41% from 3 in conference play including his garbage game against PC. His last 5 games he is 50% from 3. He isn't Rashad Anderson but who is? If he keeps shooting like this UConn will win a lot of games.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
3 minutes tonight, which is low even with Whaley and Sanogo playing well

And he did absolutely nothing in those 3 minutes to suggest that he "didn't have it". Inexplicable if it wasn't illness or injury. He was terrific against the same team two days ago, much better than Whaley.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn is in a stretch of playing weak teams and has a lot of games left, so you would think Hurley would be trying to spread minutes to keep everyone fresh and sharp heading into the tougher games in February. It may have just been an oversight on Hurley's part.

Reaction Score
Shooting 41% from 3 in conference play including his garbage game against PC. His last 5 games he is 50% from 3. He isn't Rashad Anderson but who is? If he keeps shooting like this UConn will win a lot of games.

10/19 in the last 4. He's been blazing hot since we got back from break. Must've put in a lot of work to get his shot back on track in his free time.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
He's a tweener on both ends.

On offense, he's not a post-up guy like Sanogo, can't create his own shot like Martin, and isn't a good enough shooter that you set him up with screens like Polley.

Likewise, on defense, he can't bang in the post like Sanogo/Whaley and he can't keep up with anyone who would try to attack off the dribble like Jackson/Martin. He's a great weak-side or help defender with his shot-blocking ability, but that's about it.

Guys with his frame and skill set, tall, athletic, with good skill for a big, but not good enough for a wing, have just about always been overrated at the college level for exactly this reason.

Bah. He is better at everything on the offensive end than Whaley is, even rebounding. So it's not that. He's a better ball handler than Polley and one of the best screeners on the team (Whaley has been awful setting screens, never sets his feet and I don't know that Polley has ever set a screen at UConn).

On defense he is a better shot blocker than Whaley in the post, and is certainly vastly better than Polley. His challenges there come on the perimeter, and if he is covering a guy who can shoot, Hurley seems to struggle with playing him despite his length allowing him to bother and even block outside shooters. He is a really good weakside help defender, often bailing out our guards when they get burned.

Reaction Score
And he did absolutely nothing in those 3 minutes to suggest that he "didn't have it". Inexplicable if it wasn't illness or injury. He was terrific against the same team two days ago, much better than Whaley.
He's also done nothing the last month to suggest he should be playing more. 3 minutes seems like a fluke more than anything, but there's no reason he needs more minutes than he's been getting right now

Reaction Score
UConn is in a stretch of playing weak teams and has a lot of games left, so you would think Hurley would be trying to spread minutes to keep everyone fresh and sharp heading into the tougher games in February. It may have just been an oversight on Hurley's part.
Bah. He is better at everything on the offensive end than Whaley is, even rebounding. So it's not that. He's a better ball handler than Polley and one of the best screeners on the team (Whaley has been awful setting screens, never sets his feet and I don't know that Polley has ever set a screen at UConn).

On defense he is a better shot blocker than Whaley in the post, and is certainly vastly better than Polley. His challenges there come on the perimeter, and if he is covering a guy who can shoot, Hurley seems to struggle with playing him despite his length allowing him to bother and even block outside shooters. He is a really good weakside help defender, often bailing out our guards when they get burned.
I disagree. On a whole Whaley is the better player. And how do you know Akok is a better ballhandler than Tyler? He never takes more than 2 dribble?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
He's also done nothing the last month to suggest he should be playing more. 3 minutes seems like a fluke more than anything, but there's no reason he needs more minutes than he's been getting right now

What are you talking about? He was terrific on Tuesday. Blocked 4 shots in the first 10 minutes of the game (even if one was wrongly called a goaltend). Every time he gets extended minutes he's good. He has the 4th best BPM on the team at +7. And that is balanced equally between O and D.

Reaction Score
Polley made a huge shot last night. A dagger.

Basically Hurley disgrees with your assessment of Polley. But you are entitled to it.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Someone on his staff should be keeping him abreast of minutes because as you said this is a stretch of WEAK teams. Hopefully he will be sufficiently tuned and motivated for DH when he really needs him against some real competition. We aren't a 90's or other dominant Uconn team yet and these guys need minutes so that when you have the Big East tournament and/or a tougher slate of games like the first week of February these guys don't feel like they are an afterthought. What we were able to accomplish last night against a WEAK team we were not able to do until the end of the game because of the bench. But we will need him against tougher teams. I hope we don't see guys leaving Uconn through the now fluid portals. Staff needs to keep this in mind and not pretend we are living in the pre fluid portal era. Thank God Tyrese gave new meaning to being in the zone last night. That was unbelievable especially down the stretch

Reaction Score
Polley made a huge shot last night. A dagger.

Basically Hurley disgrees with your assessment of Polley. But you are entitled to it.

Right, i dont watch practice, no idea how he plays in it. I just would have expected more from him, even if his shot isnt falling. He has the body to crash the boards. He has moments where he pump fakes and dribbles and hits. But I feel like sometimes he drifts into this one-dimensional player.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? He was terrific on Tuesday. Blocked 4 shots in the first 10 minutes of the game (even if one was wrongly called a goaltend). Every time he gets extended minutes he's good. He has the 4th best BPM on the team at +7. And that is balanced equally between O and D.
For the past month he's averaging 2 points and 2 rebounds a game with 1 block on 29% shooting in 15 minutes. Not advocating benching him or anything but I think the 15 is plenty of minutes. But I know you have an irrational love for him so don't expect us to agree

Reaction Score
What does he weigh? He looks looks like 175-180lbs. Please don't try to tell me 200. At 6'9 that's not great.

Reaction Score

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS
this is actually his best season on a per minute basis...he's our starting PF next year unless we play a small ball lineup w/ AJ the stretch 4. soooo yeah have to remain optimistic.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom